Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Pitts 1/3 hard to turn right

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pitts 1/3 hard to turn right

Old 12-25-2007, 11:48 PM
avyaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pitts 1/3 hard to turn right

I have a Great Planes Pitts 1/3 scale ARF with an O.S. 160 FX engine that have been flying for three times now, however it's very hard or almost impossible to make it turn right with aileron input only, i have to use rudder to make the turn. I suppose this is caused by engine torque, however I don't know if mixing some right rudder would be the best thing to do, Thanks!
Old 12-26-2007, 12:57 AM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Pitts 1/3 hard to turn right

too big a prop cut down dia . what are you using to test this shop power and if model glides well thats the problem
Old 12-26-2007, 04:26 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Most larger scale planes need SOME rudder input to turn especially to the right. This is the way full scale planes are and the larger the model the closer it clones the flying characteristics of full scale. I had a 1/3 Pitts many years ago and it caught me completely unawares on the first flight and I almost lost it. I programmed in some rudder with my ailerons and never looked back.

Different pitch props will make a small difference but rudder input is the only "cure".
Old 12-26-2007, 11:18 AM
avyaboy

I'm using a 16x10 prop, but I'm planning to test a 17-10 and a 16-12 to see how it behaves, I have to play with different prop sizes since I fly at 7500 feet ASL so engine performance is decreased, but these are good tips, And I thought that the rudder mix would be a great answer too. Thanks to both!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

If you're running the OS 1.60, I'd go with an 18x6 prop. I've got two of these engines and that's one of my main props, and pretty much the prop of choice for most owners of the 1.60. But, as was said, it's going to make MINIMAL difference in the turning problem you're experiencing. Using a tiny bit of rudder input will fix it for sure.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:16 PM
gjmjoe017

I've never heard of this problem with the GP Pitts or Eagle,but some rudder will certainly help.Makes me wonder if your vertical stab is on correctly.You might want to check and make sure it's not on incorrectly.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Weekendflyer

I have been flying mine for a couple of years and have never had this problem ,I have a 50cc gas in mine
Old 12-26-2007, 03:49 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All biplanes are Rudder/Elevator airplanes, and the older they are, the more so. Thats why monoplanes are the top aerobatic mounts, their ailerons are just so much more effective. What your question actually is, is "How much aileron should I mix with my Rudder?" Use the Aileron/Rudder mix on your tranny and start with at least 30%. You can tell when you have the minimum amount needed by flying away S & L and then tuning left or right. There should be no hesitation or opposite yaw as aileron is applied and the model should not appear to slip one way or the other.
Evan, WB #12.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:37 PM
gjmjoe017

Not trying to start anything,but I have never heard of a GP Pitts needing in rudder mix at all.As a matter of fact,I have flown in a full scale Pitts S-2A and no rudder was needed for any of the turns,which is what the owner told me when I took the controls over.The Pitts is very short coupled and really has no problem turning with ailerons.Something is not set up properly on this plane.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:59 PM
camdyson

As an aside, you won't be flying too much precision aerobatics with rudder mixed in! Will have to switch rudder mix out before performing aerobatics, then back in for cruising/landing.

I agree with above post - sounds sus. Fly high, cut the throttle, and see how it turns on a fast glide. If better, it's obviously engine-related. If not, check all your surfaces for warps/incidences. If it IS the engine, apart from prop changes, check the sidethrust - see if it pulls up straight into a vetrtical line from level. If pulls left, maybe put in a bit more right thrust.

Good luck!

Cam
Old 12-26-2007, 07:38 PM
timothy thompson

i was half asleep when i wrote my reply what i meant is too large diameter of a prop will cause the plane to turn so hard to the right that full left everything does little. i have a tiger moth that i overpowered with a saito 120 so i put a prop for the 120 on 18 in. and after lift off i could not turn or control it . i got up high and cut power and all of a sudden i had a beautiful handling machine dead sticked in and went down 2 inches in dia. Now it flys like a trainer i use a 16x8 now
Old 12-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Weekendflyer

Like I said above I have alot of time on my plane and have never had this problem overall its a very responsive plane .I would keep looking
Old 12-27-2007, 07:27 PM
TCrafty

If it indeed was a rudder/aileron problem, I would be lead to believe that it would have this problem turning right or left. There are still two sides to a plane.