Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 40 Size Piper Pawnee!!!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 40 Size Piper Pawnee!!!

Old 12-13-2016, 05:22 PM
TangoBravo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to my LHS today and picked up my Pawnee. I've been checking through the box and being impressed with the quality I've seen so far. This will be a good early winter project to keep me occupied while nature does whatever it wants to do outdoors. I have a scale, leaf spring tail wheel that I built that I'll use on it and I want to spend some time with some scale work in the cockpit and instrument panel. I'm not sure about lights yet but I'm thinking about a 'smoke' system. Back in the 70s we used to use diesel fuel and automatic transmission fluid injected into our 2 stroke exhaust. It worked great but I've never tried it with a 4 stroke engine. I'll rig up something and experiment with it and let you know how it works. After all, a Pawnee needs to be able to 'spew' something on a low pass. Right?

I'm optimistic abut this plane. It sure looks good so far and everyone I've talked to who has flown one has nothing but good things to say about it. Wish me luck.

Tom
Old 12-29-2016, 01:51 PM
steve1mac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use my Pawnee for aero-tow. I installed a YS-FS115 engine with a three blade 14 x 9 prop.
This setup gives me 17 LBS. of thrust. I also created my own landing gear setup with a combination of Sullivan Cub landing gear. some part are 1/5 scale and other parts are 1/3 scale. The end result is a very robust wheel carriage that looks much like the real plane. Here is a photo of my test template.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0533.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2194848  

Last edited by steve1mac; 12-29-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:58 PM
steve1mac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0563.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	2194849   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0951.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	2194850  
Old 12-29-2016, 05:22 PM
TangoBravo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, your gear is a work of art. Very nice attention to detail. I almost ordered a set of Robart Cub gear but my LHS has a Pawnee for sale on consignment. It has a lot of flying time and the factory struts have held up well. I'm going to hold off on upgrading the gear for now and concentrate on some other scale work. I just finished the instrument panel today and will be working on the cockpit / pilot next.

Thanks for the input and for sharing your build talents.

Tom