Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 40

Hello everyone
    My wife gave me the H9 Ultra Stick 40 for Christmas.[sm=teeth_smile.gif]
    I'll be working on it soon. I'll post more pics as I go.
    I'll be using an O.S. 40AX engine. I'm still undecided about installing the flaps or just going with the aileron setup. I'll also be picking up a Spektrum DX-7 before she's ready to maiden so I'll probably end up using the flaps option.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db86144.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	846115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq46936.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	846116  
    Patrick
    www.piratesoftheskyrc.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 40

Patrick,
    That was my first plane and I still have it. Love it. I would build with the flaps if your an intermediate flyer or above. I wish I had put mine on.

Good luck!!

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Patrick,

I am a very experienced pilot and instructor. In the past several years, I have test flown over 400 planes. I can fly anything, but I love Sticks. I think it is the greatest single design in the history of model airplanes. I have had all of them. Presently I fly an Ultra Stick 40/OS .55AX, an Ultra Stick 60/SK 90 and a Goldberg Wild Stik 40/SK 50. I have tried flaps with the quad set-up and crow and I like single ailerons. Let me explain.

Sticks have a fairly light wing loading anyway, so you sure don't need flaps except to play with. Personally, I have not found them to be very much fun and to be limited in use. My preference is spoilers. That is both ailerons up (you still have roll control) to kill lift and make for better spot landings, better cross wind landings and better landings with steep descents on windy days.

I use a Flaperon wing type on my computer radio and set up flaperons working opposite to elevator. This gives tighter loops just in case. Personally, I like diving outside loops and diving outside squares. You will find that a Stick, with its low stab will turn tighter outside than inside. You can easily do outside squares using a half to three quarters down elevator. If you have the same amount of up and down elevator movement, it is just about impossible to get into trouble doing outsides, especially if you have flaperons on. Your outsides will be half to three quarters the radius of the insides. Try a double Immelann to see. Do a regular Immelmann, and after roll out, give down for a half outside loop. When you are inverted, stop and roll out. You have to work to get the end of the outside as low as where you started.

For spoilers, I mix throttle-master and flaps-slave. I set so the ailerons both move up about a half to three quarters of an inch at idle. At half stick, they are both down in normal aileron position. I arm them, then cut to idle for landing, setting up high. The spoilers give a steeper descent. If I am going to be short, I add power and the spoilers drop a little making it easier to gain forward speed. You can walk the plane down like this.

The Wild Stik comes without the option, but with separate flaps. I tried them for a whils and like on my US60, I glued the flaps and ailerons together and use big ailerons.

Sticks will roll and pitch in knife edge. Mine have anhedral set in to stop the roll and I use mixing to stop the pitch up. My US40 will do a knife edge loop easily. It's big, but it goes around. These planes are great to learn to use your computer radio on.

Name:	Sp45542.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	847024   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq52417.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	847025  
    Ed Moorman, AMA 553, Former R/C Report Fun Aerobatics Columnist. 76 and up to my old tricks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have an older version with the quad flaps and no counterbalanced rudder. I enjoy the setup and you can program full span ailerons with them and the right radio along with crow, spoilers, flaps, and flaperons. Flaps and spoilers aren't necessary but they are tools to experiment with as you learn. You can reduce some of the weight from the wing by going without the flaps (not that weight is an issue). I have many flights on it and love it more with each flight. As Ed said, once you get comfortable with it and your radio you can mix out a lot of the undesireable knife edge characteristics and then it almost becomes a new plane. There are also lots of ways to reduce the weight and play with the CG, as you want to do more with the plane. Flat spins are fun with the CG pushed back and reduced weight. I run mine with an SK50 and it is a good match. The 55AX that Ed has is a better match. My next step is more power and it will either be the 55AX or the newer Enya 61.
    Club Saito Member 354

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: plcline67

Hello everyone
    My wife gave me the H9 Ultra Stick 40 for Christmas.[sm=teeth_smile.gif]
    I'll be working on it soon. I'll post more pics as I go.
    I'll be using an O.S. 40AX engine. I'm still undecided about installing the flaps or just going with the aileron setup. I'll also be picking up a Spektrum DX-7 before she's ready to maiden so I'll probably end up using the flaps option.
    Put a bigger motor on the front. It will fly OK with the O.S. 40, but you will find soon that it is under powered. I started with a Evolution 46, now I have a Saito 72 4 stroke on the front. You can get a Magnum 70 from tower for $149.00 right now. I put one in my P-51 PTS. Runs real good. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=GCI Also, after you build it and are ready for the radio, slide your battery down the fuselage to balance your CG, then open it and place your battery inside.
    I love this bird it's alot of fun.

This picture is when I had the Evo. 46 on.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have three Ultra stick 40's. I have two older Yellow ones without the counter balanced rudder and no flaps. One of these had flaps but I cut them off and put the regular ailerons on the wing. The third one is the red color and has the counterbalanced rudder and the flaps. Before I fly it this coming year the flaps are coming off it also. They all have Saito 50 or 56 engines. I had a Saito 72 on one of the yellow ones for a while but it now has a 50 on it.

I cannot stand the flaps. If there was ever a plane that didn't need the flaps this is it. It just adds more weight to the plane.

I changed mine back to just using a four channel transmitter

I also have a US 60 and a old style US 120 as well as a Bridi stick with a Homelite 30 and a Big Stick 60. I used to have a H9 Super Stick 60 with a Saito 91 until it got shot down by someone turning on their transmitter.

Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What's this counterbalanced rudder about?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The current US-40 has a counterbalanced rudder.

The original US-40 had a straight hinge line on the rudder.

The counter balanced rudder has the top portion of the fin attached to the movable rudder part.
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Put a bigger motor on the front. It will fly OK with the O.S. 40, but you will find soon that it is under powered."

I posted the wrong information. The engine I'm going to use for now is the O.S. 46AX not the O.S. 40. The O.S. 40 is what I had on my trainer. That one is going on an airboat I'm building.
    Patrick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

PA BEN,
    A friend and fellow pilot has told me the same thing about the US 40 and the flaps option. He had one with the flaps and cut them off and went with the aileron only set up and liked it much better.
    Of all the pilots I've talked to about this plane only two have recomended the flaps option. Everyone else says leave them off.
    I think I'll go with the majority on this and leave them off. After all, I can always experiment with that option later on if I ever decide to.
    Patrick

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Patrick = I've had my US40 for some time flown with a Super Tigre 45 and a Bison Pitts Muffler. I was always pleased with the set up but had a more pressing need for the G45. So I yanked it out and installed a Magnum 52 four stroke. I've not flown it yet but I'm having anxiety if there is enough engine. I question some of my buddies and get different answers. My guess is that it will fly (at least I hope) but any acrobat flying is out of the question. do you or any one else out there have an opinion? BTW - I've hung an 11 X 7 prop on this guy. I also have a Magnum 70 4 stroke, but way to much weight on the front. Thanks in advance

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Guy.............I think you had better re-think trying tp fly the US40 with that 52 four stroke. You might get it off the ground, but you won't have much fun with it. It's just not enough engine for that bird. I have three US40's. One has a OS 55 AX, one with a Saito 82 four Stroke, & one with a OS 50 SX.

Also, leave the quad flaps off. They are not worth the hassle. I also have two US60's with Evo 100's one & a Saito 100 on the other. The only U.S. that I have with quad flaps is a 120 size (old style) with a Saito 180 on the nose. If I wasn't so lazy, I would cut off the quad set & put on the std ail setup.

I would never, ever put another quad flap setup on one again!

But then what do I know.....................

Tcat

My Motto: Never get mad, just get even!
    Trust me, I will get even!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One thing that makes an Ultra Stick more fun is to use maximum rates and 60% expo on a computer radio. It's a whole different world than using a plain four channel radio.

I still have the flaps but rarely use them any more.
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was thinking about getting an Ultra Stick 40 from Hnager 9 and putting in a Satio 82. Does anyone have experience with this setup?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, That's what I have on mine. It's about the same weight as a 55AX (pretty close) and you can swing a bigger prop if you want.
    The hardest part of this hobby?......waiting for the UPS truck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the early version wht/yel Ultrastick, and think it is an excellent model. If it didn't have the quad flaps, I probably would not have bought it. These allow you to decelerate quickly, and makes touch-n-goes a lot of fun. I have them kick in relative to the throttle setting, as per the radio setup instructions for the Futaba 8U... I do not use the flaps as a sole option though. I also added pull-pull to the rudder, and tossed the engine mount and went with a lighter weight nylon mount. I'm using an OS.46 with a tuned muffler/pipe. Going the OS.55 route might be a bit more fun as per a previous poster. I'm also considering getting another one of these, since my current UltraStik is just getting a bit worn... [8D] I agree with knife edge, there is significant coupling, but it is manageable. I might try the anhedral idea suggested above...

I'm not sure about a Saito 82 - it might be a great engine, but how does it compare weight-wise? I would want to keep the weight down...
    Ron S - JPO District VIII Rep.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you have a computer radio that is capable of all that the mixes the Ultra Stick can do, I'd do the quad wing.. I have the 60 size stick with quad wing and it is a BLAST.. Yeah, you don't need the flaps really to get off the ground 'that' much quicker (although it gets off crazy fast with the flaps out) the other mixes are lots of fun to play with.. The Crow feature is too much fun, elevator to flap mix makes for really tight loops.. I don't see why someone wouldn't build the plane to maximize it's capabilities when you can always mix the flaps so that they move with the ailerons anyway, just like you had a single aileron..?

No brainer for me!! I would have gotten bored with my stick quickly had it not been for the quad wing..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jwalsh

I was thinking about getting an Ultra Stick 40 from Hnager 9 and putting in a Satio 82. Does anyone have experience with this setup?

It's not a H9 US but , it is a 40 size with a 82.

Bob

Name:	Jh14769.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	1092001  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With the Saito 82 did you have any problems with balancing? What size prop do you use? I was interested in maximizing thrust rather than top speed, any suggestions? Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had to add 1/2 oz of weight to the tail. I also
    mounted a servo for the tail wheel in the rear.

As for the prop, i'm still experimenting, between
    a 13x8 ,13x6 and 14x4.

Bob

Name:	Sq48043.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	1092016  

I have the older Yellow Ultra Stik 40 without the counterbalanced tail. Was wondering if anyone modified a Yellow tail to be counterbalanced? Is it worth the hassle? Not necessary unless you're doing 3-D?

Thanks, Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You are correct about the counter balance rudder.

In regular including pattern flying, it is not noticable which rudder you have.

I've had both
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Thanks. I am putting an old Satio 0.65 in the Stik. Reading the above, it seems people lean towards bigger 4-strokes. Any thoughts / suggestions? I am not a 3-D flyer.

And any suggestions / posts on how to program my Futaba 9CAPS radio for the Stik with quad flaps? This will be my first model with it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It just depends on how you fly and your expectations. The Saito 82 on mine is overkill and I'm going to be taking it off. I just put it on there because I took the 55AX that was on there, off, and needed an something on and that's all I had. I think a smaller saito would be just fine for most flying with it.
    The hardest part of this hobby?......waiting for the UPS truck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had a 72 on one of mine but took it off and put a 56 back on.

I have the flaps and four wing servos and my Saito 56 will take it straight up until you cannot tell what it is doing. I'm running a APC 13-4 and a Turbo header,

I just use the flaps as flaps and the ailerons as ailerons. I had it programmed as a quad set up but decided to reprogram the plane.

The rates are set at the high rates in the manual with 60% expo. There are no low rates. I really like it as it is easy to fly and will hot dog the maneuvers when you get ready.
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast