Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Spinner Question About Great Planes 1/4 Extra 300S

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Spinner Question About Great Planes 1/4 Extra 300S

Old 01-28-2008, 08:58 PM
cbhelo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spinner Question About Great Planes 1/4 Extra 300S

The stock 4" spinner that comes with this ARF: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMN0&P=7 has a nut that I assume is supposed to go over the motor shaft. I have a OS 160FX motor for the plane.

The challenge I'm having is the nut that the spinner appears to screw into is only 6.94mm inner diameter and the motor shaft's diameter is 9.4mm. I'm new to spinners and the manual assumes they are so self-explanatory that it doesn't even have a picture of how it goes on. Any suggestions? (Yes I'm AMA and belong to several fields. I'd rather get the parts together before I get some of the guys to help me. Getting that perfect day and finding out you have the wrong parts is no fun!)

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:54 PM
krproton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spinner Question About Great Planes 1/4 Extra 300S

cbhelo,

if you don't get help by tomorrow, I'll look into this from my work. I work in R&D at Hobbico and I can check this out for you when I get into work tomorrow.

If I forget, just shoot me a PM or an email to remind me.

Tim
Old 01-29-2008, 12:26 AM
bbagle1

you need a spinner adapter. Give tower hobbies a call and tell them you need a spinner adapter for an OS 160 on a GP 1/4 extra 300 and they should be able to tell you exactly what you need. What it is is a nut that threads on the motor shaft and had a threaded end for the spinner nut to go into.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:48 PM
cbhelo

So is the correct assembly spinner Backplate, prop, prop washer, large prop nut, spinner nut, spinner cone, bolt to hold spinner cone on? Or do you not use the large nut/prop washer?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:28 AM
krproton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"cb,"

so did your "Patty Wagstaff" come with a spinner adapter nut, but it just won't fit your O.S. so you need another, or did your spinner not come with an adapter nut at all and you need to order the correct one?

Usually, here's the order of assembly:

1. Brass adapter collar (if used--it fits into the spinner back plate for the crankshaft)
2. Spinner back plate
3. Propeller
4. Propeller washer
5. Spinner adapter nut

-or-
5A. Spinner base nut (also called a "jam nut")
5B. Spinner adapter nut

(if it is a two-part adapter nut like the type used on most 4-strokes)

6. Spinner cone
7. Spinner bolt (that holds the cone to the adapter nut and back plate.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:50 PM
cbhelo

It came with an adapter nut, but the wrong size. How do you tell if you need the Spinner adapter or base nut + spinner adapter? I found a single adapter for the OS 160 on tower hobbies and ordered it. The page said it was made for the OS 160, but I have no idea if it will fit the spinner bolt or if I will just have to replace the spinner.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-31-2008, 01:45 AM
charoze.guillaume

If you use the stock spinner, take care to remove the rivets and the alloy bracket and use an shaft adaptator and long screw. The GP stock spinner is poor in quality!!! I use an 4" gfk spinner on this airplane.

Escuse me for my poor english i'm from france

bye bye
Old 02-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Lowlevlflyer
My Feedback: (3)

The GP aluminum spinners are not known for their quality at all. I'd suggest spending a bit of cash and getting a good Tru Turn or Dave Brown Vortex. Both are top quality, and both have a wide array of adapters available so you wont have to be piecing parts togther trying to make something work. The OS 1.60 is a hoss of a motor, and it WILL chunk a spinner and prop a LOOOOONG way! The better quality spinners are definitely worth the money.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Thomas B. Chong
My Feedback: (6)

I have this plane and use the stock spinner with a DL50. The prop shaft for the DL50 has a threaded hole in the middle. I just found the correct sized screw and put it through the hole in the spinner, and tightened it down over the backplate/prop/prop nuts assembly. It works great. The spinner is very high quality, IMO.