Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Lanier 120 Size Stinger--Servo Question

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Lanier 120 Size Stinger--Servo Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:20 PM
ajensen3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier 120 Size Stinger--Servo Question

I'm considering a Lanier 120 Size Stinger. I will probably use a 180 Saito four Stroke. The Stinger uses 8 servos. I have 4 Spektrum (JR) DS821 Digital servos. Are they adequate for the Stinger? I was going to use Hitec HS635 or HS645 but the cost of eight gets me close to my choke point.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:48 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Lanier 120 Size Stinger--Servo Question

There seems to be some bad info about the number of servos required. Tower says you only need 5, but the instructions say 8, with 2 on each aileron. I can't imagine a 120 size airplane needing 2 servos on each aileron. I think the instructions are mixing the 120 size with the larger stingers.

FYI, the 821 makes more torque than the HS635.

In any event, if it needs eight, you should use the 821s on the ailerons. 144 oz on each aileron is WAY overkill. If it needs five you can use the 821s anywhere you want. The Hitec 425BB makes a perfect throttle servo for around $17. If you are planning to do a lot of 3D, you might want to go with more torque on the elevator and rudder, or just use a 6 volt battery.

Jim
Old 01-30-2008, 02:18 PM
RJConnet

I've been flying my Stinger 1.20 for ten years now powered by a Moki 1.80 with a standard servo on each elevator side, a standard servo on each aileron, a standard servo on the rudder and another on the throttle for a total of six. No 3D'r but a great sport flyer.
RJ
(It will hover all day)
Old 01-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Prairie Mike

You can use 5 servos on the 120 Stinger: one on each aileron, on on the elevator, one throttle, one one the rudder. I used a Saito 150 on mine and it flew GREAT. The servos I used were the standard JR 507's; the cheapies that can with the radio. Never was any problems, the plane flew without any bad tendencies. I still have a spare in the basement. I remember you would go to any fly-in and there would 6-10 Stingers. There were so many, You had to be carefull ya didn't step on the darn things. Now when people see one they have to ask "what's that?" So today the popular aircraft are the caps, extras, staudakers and edges--they all look the same to me--boring. So now the Stinger is a treat to see. You'll like the ways it flies---just a good no nonsense airplane.