Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

phoenix models yak 54

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

phoenix models yak 54

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 04:38 PM
claiby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: phoenix models yak 54

Well, I flew it on Wednesday after getting the engine tuned right. I bought this engine used so it took a while to get the thing tuned correctly. After all was good the engine was great and the plane was flying awsome. I finally got it trimmed out with the extra weight from the YS .63 and the damn radio went bonkers. Lost complete controll and the plane flopped in. I was able to avoid nosing in and landed like a belly flop. The plane was destroyed to be modest. Everyone at the field was very impressed by how it was flying until the I lost radio contact. A shame. My wife has grounded me for a while (LOL, but serious. How sad is that). Gonna have to wait another month or two before I can get another one. I'll tell you, that .63 was awsome on this plane though. I was able to land once and it was able to come in nice and slow, very easy. By the way, the guy at the hobby shop recommended a Master Airscrew 12/8 prop. I thought it might be a little too much pitch, but like I said once I got it in the air the plane was flawless. Happy flying everyone.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:18 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

get ya another. ....i am..so you were impressed with this plane up until the crash?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:43 PM
million-air

Claiby that sucks, damn frequency interference. Radio companies need to step their game up and by pass this problem and make it affordable. Just to expensive of a hobby for airplanes to crash that way if you ask me. The yak has that ability to turn heads and I do like to take it out to the field along with some other phoenix products. Get another if you can.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:23 PM
SigMan

yummy
Old 12-04-2008, 10:16 PM
moparcolt
My Feedback: (2)

2nd times the charm it seems with this bird.
I run a 13X6 prop on my saito 72 it seems like a good combo, you may wany to try one.

Chris
Old 12-05-2008, 12:16 PM
claiby

Yeah, deffinately getting another. I just saw one for sale here on RCU, but he was selling the engine and electronics installed. He did not want to sell the plane only. Anyway, I don't know if I'm going to be able to wait until my wife gives me the okay. I am already having withdrawl. I will wait a little while, fly my Hangar 9 Tango so I can brush up on the skills, then grab one up. The whole radio thing just bothers me. I fly on channel 21 and last week another guy at the field lost his plane in the exact same place I lost mine and he is on Channel 20. Makes you think a little. Oh by the way, Sigman, yes I was very impressed with this plane until it ate $&#@@. It looks great in the air, and sounded really nice with that YS.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:34 PM
SigMan

thanks , i guess this is my x-mas present.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:59 PM
dunahoo

Hi guys I just received my Yak today!! Your posts are the reason I ordered. I’m a bit confused though, my plane has green on the bottom of the wing and only a 10oz tank, also the landing gear block looks like it’s been reinforced. Is this an older model or an update? I ordered from tower and they are willing to exchange it but will I get another one just like it? I love the plane I just wish it had a larger tank. It would take a lot of surgery to get a larger tank in. What would you do?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18672.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1087889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54944.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1087890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11519.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1087891  
Old 12-11-2008, 11:18 PM
moparcolt
My Feedback: (2)

The green is different, I just got mine a couple of months ago and it was yellow on the bottom but I am not sure about the tank size, I will have to take a look at it.
chris
Old 12-12-2008, 06:55 AM
million-air

This must be an updated version because as mentioned above the older versions like mine have the yellow bottom. Its cool and different though and hec you will have no problem knowing which side its on! Dont worry about the tank, its big enough and besides I dont know many people who fly for 20min at a time.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:14 PM
SigMan

ORIGINAL: dunahoo

Hi guys I just received my Yak today!! Your posts are the reason I ordered. I’m a bit confused though, my plane has green on the bottom of the wing and only a 10oz tank, also the landing gear block looks like it’s been reinforced. Is this an older model or an update? I ordered from tower and they are willing to exchange it but will I get another one just like it? I love the plane I just wish it had a larger tank. It would take a lot of surgery to get a larger tank in. What would you do?

thats the newest version i believe... dont send it back ! upgrade to a 16oz tank if you are worried, it should fit... keep us posted please.. use your heat gun to tighten up that covering.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:56 PM
dunahoo

Thanks for the replies, I decided to keep it. I started working on it today and got the stabs glued in. I’m going to but a Saito 82 in it, I’m not much of a 3D person, thought I might try basic IMAC next year. The 82 should be more than enough. Hopefully the 10oz tank should be ok; this is my first Saito so I don’t know how much fuel it will burn. I like to fly about 10 minutes with enough fuel to go around if I need to. So far I really like the plane.

Sigman I took your advice, the covering tighten up really nice. I need to do a little more work on the rudder it’s a bit out of whack. Other than that everything’s great!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:04 AM
million-air

or a blow dryer..that works too
Old 12-13-2008, 08:14 PM
SigMan

ORIGINAL: dunahoo

Thanks for the replies, I decided to keep it. I started working on it today and got the stabs glued in. I’m going to but a Saito 82 in it, I’m not much of a 3D person, thought I might try basic IMAC next year. The 82 should be more than enough. Hopefully the 10oz tank should be ok; this is my first Saito so I don’t know how much fuel it will burn. I like to fly about 10 minutes with enough fuel to go around if I need to. So far I really like the plane.

Sigman I took your advice, the covering tighten up really nice. I need to do a little more work on the rudder it’s a bit out of whack. Other than that everything’s great!
give us some pictures if you can...

i send a challange to all, for new years day...fly it and take pics and post them here...
Old 12-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Phoenixflier

I am planning on getting one of these models...can anybody please let me know what the wing area is?.

Many thx and safe flying. Simon.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:48 PM
dunahoo

The wing area is not listed from Phoenix. I also have the Nitro Planes Yak 52 the old version which is 616sq in. The wings are basically the same size except the Phoenix has smaller ailerons and is a bit thinner. Hope this helps.
Jeff
Old 12-28-2008, 06:36 AM
maiky

Had the os 56a enough power for the airplane? Or should i plant the saito 82a in it .
Old 12-28-2008, 06:45 AM
SigMan

plant the saito 82a in it, you will be out a few extra bucks but you will much happier with this set-up.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:52 PM
claiby

Round two comming up!!!! I just ordered my new Yak and should get it on Friday...or the following Monday. My wife is going to kill me, but.....well, you all know how it is. Anyway, I haven't notice much talk on here lately. Any updates on how the flying is going with this bird?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:56 PM
dunahoo

I maiden the Yak yesterday!

My set up is a brand new Phenox Models Yak 54 with a new but broken in Saito 82a swinging a Zinger Pro 13-8 prop with a 2.5in Tru-Turn spinner, Hitec HS-475 on all control surfaces, Hitec HS-81 on throttle, 6 volt 1100ma battery, 10 oz tank, Futaba 617 receiver. All up weight 96oz. All control throws and CG set by the book.

I was at the field by 10am, lots of sun and blue sky with temperatures in the high 40s to low 50s. Dead cross wind of about 5mph gusting to 10, not to bad for our field!

I had one quick flight with the Venture 60 to warm up the thumbs, one great flying plane by the way.
The Saito fired up quickly and with the range check out of the way I was running out of excuses. I taxied out on the runway lined up in the middle and hit the gas slowly. She tracked nice and straight and after about 20 feet I eased in a little back pressure on the stick and she was airborne. I climbed to altitude and with a little up trim was flying hands off from one end of the runway to the other.

I have to say that this was my first true “high performance plane” so I was a little worried about my flying skills. I’ve been flying about a year now and have had several sport planes and this is by far the best flying plane I’ve flown. It tracked nice and straight with very crisp rolls and loops, it made me look like a much better pilot than I am. I was amazed at how well behaved it was during slow flight, it seemed to just mush around like my sport planes, not the sudden tip stall without warning I was afraid of. The Saito had more than enough power to fly my style of flying, precision aerobatics, I’m practicing IMAC basic. After the first flight I was as comfortable as I have ever been flying. There were many comments from the gallery about how well the plane was flying.

The only thing I had to get use to was the landing. I needed a bit more distance on final to bleed off speed. My first attempts to land resulted in go-a-rounds because I was coming in hot.

I am very pleased with this plane, it far exceeded my expectations. I hope this short review was helpful to anyone considering this plane.

Jeff
Old 01-15-2009, 04:09 AM
duro

Hi,I'm from Spain and I ordered a Yak 54 few month ago, and now finally ordered an OS 55 ax, that should go well, I see that it's a few heavy for his wing area.
How it behaves in this aspect? What weight you to come to you?
Is there something I should consider before starting to mount?
I will put Chinese servos that are brothers of the 3010 Futaba (HXT 6.9kg)
thxs.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:31 PM
million-air

I would bargain for a better engine if I were you. It would be better considering a four stroke magnum or saito as the os 55 seems a little weak. After all this is a capable aircraft and magnum makes powerfull engines for lower bux than the saitos. I would not even consider an os 55 for my smaller phoenix su-31. You will be happy you shelled a few extra bux for a bigger power plant.
Ayrton
Old 01-15-2009, 08:20 PM
dunahoo

I wouldn’t worry about the weight much, if flies very light.

Jeff
Old 01-16-2009, 04:48 PM
dunahoo

Second day out with the Yak and what a blast!

I spent time trimming the split elevators and tweaking the Saito, also spent some time on stalls. With the plane laterally balanced and the split elevators dialed in during a stall it would nose over just slightly to the right, all I had to do to recover was just add a bit of power.

The Saito is a perfect match to the Yak, I’m flying most of the time around ½ throttle only needing full throttle during up-line maneuvers. Landings were much better today as I had a bit of wind to slow it down. I was able to get in some nice 3 point landings.

I can’t say enough good things about this plane. It made the jump from low wing sport to semi scale a breeze.

Jeff
Old 01-18-2009, 04:33 AM
duro

thanks for your reply, but I'm only a beginner in this, an 4 stroke is away for me, may be in a future, I'm began in this the last summer with a trainer and my friend says me that a 4 stroke has a maintenance, and may adjust every few flights, when mounting, I'll post how it go, thnx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.