Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

*New Hanger 9 Pulse XT 60*

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

*New Hanger 9 Pulse XT 60*

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:10 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: *New Hanger 9 Pulse XT 60*

You must split the cowl in the top rear
Old 10-03-2009, 09:18 PM
kneewhack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to get my cowl over the Saito 100 without splitting it. Cut the prop hub hole a little bigger and remove the valve covers. Squeeze the cowl gently at the sides to make it hump up at the top and it will go over the motor.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

Kneewhack, great idea. I will try that. Otherwise I'll follow w8ye comment and just split the cowl behind the engine.

Just to let everyone know, here's my thoughts on putting this ARF together. Mine had quite a lot of wrinkles on just about every surface but was easy enough to fix with a air gun and iron. When I attached the two engine mounts to the firewall I found the spacing to be too far apart for the Saito to fit with the mounting holes comfortably on top of the rails. I had to squeeze the rails together a bit in order to have enough room to drill the holes in each side. I removed the electric motor mounting t-nuts and fit dowel pieces in their place (epoxied in).
I used a rubber band attached to the hatch as was described early within this thread. That was a fine suggestion to securing the hatch. Getting the switch harness into the factory cutout location was a bear. No room for fingers to get the switch in there. I finally cut out part of the cross bracing below the switch location in order to make room to reach the cutout position.

I had to epoxy the tail on because one of the two studs was not anchored. The first nut locked down fine on its stud but the second stud just spun freely before the locknut could be tightened down. I really think it was a defective stud as opposed to my putting too much pressure on the stud. No big deal as I actually prefer the tail to be epoxied anyway.

I plan to epoxy the wing tube into one of the wing halves. I'll still be able to separate the wings and will not have to worry about the tube shifting inside the wing which someone mentioned as a problem encountered.

The plane should be ready to test fly within a week. I'm in no hurry. I want to be sure everything is right before its first flight.

Mike
Old 10-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

Oops. I forgot to mention that I epoxied extra triangle support pieces to the inside of the firewall and added epoxy to all the joints on the landing gear plate. I'm sure you guys know that the firewall and landing gear area are very high stress areas and a little extra glue in those areas are a good idea.

Mike
Old 10-03-2009, 10:48 PM
w8ye

Good advice
Old 10-12-2009, 07:25 PM
rds25
My Feedback: (8)

The rubber band on my hatch snapped yesterday (assuming from age) and the hatch took off. Would anyone have one around to sell as H9 only makes them available with the fuselage?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:27 PM
tjm5837

How come you couldn't retrieve it? Did you miss it coming off?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:40 PM
jamesc43
My Feedback: (2)

That is amazing. I lost my hatch a couple of weeks ago. I called for the same reason. They told
the the hatches are made scpecially for each fuselage. I could not believe that each fuselage is a one off.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:57 PM
w8ye

You guys will have to make your own hatches?
Old 10-13-2009, 06:45 AM
Salter

Has anyone tried putting a .75 glow engine in the Pulse XT 60 rather than the .61 recommended by Hangar 9? Any problems re CG, prop strikes (due to the larger size), etc.? Thanks!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:21 AM
rds25
My Feedback: (8)

Our flying field has a stand of trees on the far side we fly over, with an open field behind it. It came off over the field, and I spent 2 hrs. walking trying to find it before giving up. As far as replacing it, if i don't have any luck here, building a new one for it will be a winter project.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:57 PM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: Salter

Has anyone tried putting a .75 glow engine in the Pulse XT 60 rather than the .61 recommended by Hangar 9? Any problems re CG, prop strikes (due to the larger size), etc.? Thanks!
There will not be any problems. The case size is the same as a 61

Old 10-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered mine after the price decrease. I needed a fool around goof off plane. I have a OS 75 that will yank this bad boy around. Should be fun. I was torn between this or a Ultra Stick, I honestly hate the looks of a stick so I went with this.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:15 PM
jamesc43

Mine has/had a OS 91 FX. It has been removed while I build a new hatch. It is also working toward a winter project. I'm going
to put the 91 motor back into it after the hatch is ready.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Mickzo

Sorry to go off topic.
Has anyone has fitted either a dubro or sullivans tail wheel to the xt 60?
I don't like the factory setup, it looks flimsy.

If someone has done it, please post instructions with pics on how to do it.

Thanks
Mick
Old 10-17-2009, 06:27 PM
flylower

ORIGINAL: Mickzo

Sorry to go off topic.
Has anyone has fitted either a dubro or sullivans tail wheel to the xt 60?
I don't like the factory setup, it looks flimsy.

If someone has done it, please post instructions with pics on how to do it.

Thanks
Mick
I've flown the XT 60 for 2 years with the stock tail wheel. I Have busted the landing gear with hard landings a couple of times, ( at least 100 flights) but never had the first problem with the stock tail wheel.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:46 PM
jamesc43

It was a sad day today. We had bury a friend.

The wing folded on my XT 60 and down she went. The wing had had prior damage from a tractor incident. I am
amazed the rebuilt wing and fuselage lasted this long. I am so impressed with this airplane that I am thinking
about getting another XT 60.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:55 PM
flylower

ORIGINAL: jamesc43

It was a sad day today. We had bury a friend.

The wing folded on my XT 60 and down she went. The wing had had prior damage from a tractor incident. I am
amazed the rebuilt wing and fuselage lasted this long. I am so impressed with this airplane that I am thinking
about getting another XT 60.
My condolences jamesc43. I too lost my first XT 60 (last year), and bought the second one (at a much higher price, I might add) for the same reason you are thinking about getting another one. I love the plane, and am always getting positive comments from other pilots and spectators. I have probably 100 or more flights on my second one, and have never regretted buying it. The wheel pants are pretty beat up from flying off grass fields, but have a second set waiting in the wings, thanks to the generosity of WelseyK, who so graciously answered my request for a set earlier in this thread.

Good luck with your new one, should you decide to get it.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:33 PM
jamesc43

I sold a new in bag set of wheel pants to a guy on this forum also.

I still have a brand new set that were never installed on this particular plane. The field we fly off of is to rough for
wheel pants so most of the planes never get them installed.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I have been building my Pulse 60 XT, I did pull and movement checks on the flight surfaces. I found my Rudder to be poorly glued. It pulled off in my hand. Just letting everyone know that this might be a weak spot, double check it.

It looked as though there was to much covering around the hinges and it didn't allow for good penetration of the glue at the factory.

This plane is from the most recent batch out of Horizon. So it could be just this batch that is been affected.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:46 AM
loupus

Hi Guy's
After buying and flying the Pulse 40 and loving it I also purchased a pulse 60. well actually I now have 2 of them. I broke the wing on the first one so while waiting on a replacement I bought the second one.. They would have to be one of the best flying models in my Hangar. I have one fitted with a Saito 115 and it has great authority. The repaired job is waiting on a motor and I thought I would try a TT.61 2s I have sitting here, just to try something different.

They are great models, go together very well, but I have had one problem with the first plane and that is after a number of flights I have noticed the Horizontal Stabilizer with the Elevator half without the control horn on it starts to fracture. It was quite a pronounced crack along the Fuse / stab joint. So I fitted a control horn and control rod to both Elevators and that fixed the problem. I did that to the second plane before flying it.
Because it is not supported and is only joined to the other Elevator by a light piece of wire I presume it tends to flutter a bit when high "G's" are encountered.

Has anyone else encountered this problem??

Cheers.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:59 PM
jamesc43

The guy that I bought my Pulse from had a similair problem with the flight controls not being
glued very well. One came off in flight. He did get a warranty Pulse from Hanger 9 but by then
he had moved onto bigger and better planes. as he was assembling the new Pulse, he re-glued
the control surfaces and then shot small brads through the hinges to further secure them.

He added a third screw to the landing gear area and replaced them all with Nylon screws. I
popped the gear off a couple of times but I never damaged the area where the landing gear bolted on.

I also think he re-inforced the engine/firewall connections because I saw evidence of maybe nails
or small brads through the sides into the firewall.

What the wing damage. That is what caused mine to meet its maker. You should be ok as long as
you don't brake the main spars going down the wing.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:41 AM
loupus

Hi Jamesc43,
Can't blame Hagar 9 for the wing, I stuffed up and hit the ground hard, actually it is a credit to the model that I only smashed the wing and wing tube, some other abrasions and slight damage but all easily repairable. Considering as I watched it go in I thought it would have been totaled. Something I love about Hangar 9 and Great planes too for that matter is you can buy most of the parts to fix them and that's how it should be.

Everything was glued in ok it is just I think under higher G's one Elevator is supported but the other is not and the wind pressure twists it on the wire joiner and this puts pressure on the Horizontal stab on that side and eventually causes it to crack along the Fuse

Cheers,
Rod.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:41 PM
jamesc43

I don't blame Hanger 9 for my wing failure. I'm the person who hit the seed planter being towed behind
a large John Deere tractor. A guy we fly with replaced part df the spar in the right wing. I blame him
mostly but he also got me 4 months flying out of a plane that more than likely would have never seen the
air again.

I liked that plane so must I bought another Monday evening. I only had to drive 80 miles to get it. I should
start assembly in a few days. I am still doing some research on the old airframe and wings to see what improvements
were done and how I can replicate those same improvements. I will not be able to use the same engine that
was in the old plane until I can get a new carb body and the spinner back plate broke the carb off the engine.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:08 AM
foldingprop

I am starting to assemble my new Pulse 60 and I have not placed my engine mounts on yet for a 0S .61 fx.

Before I do I was thinking about the possibility of using a side mount orientation. Has anyone side mounted an engine for the Pulse 60?

Or if not, any thoughts one way or the other? Thanks for your input............................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.