ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Fokker DVII

Old 02-23-2008, 12:23 PM
bbrundle
My Feedback: (40)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hangar 9 Fokker DVII

Thanks for such a positive response to our new Fokker DVII. Let me try and comment on some of the posts I have read here.

We have flown the model on our E-flight 60Bl outrunner usung 5 & 6 cell Thunder Power batteries. You will find the performance very similar to the glow version. There is plenty of ground clearance for the larger propeller of an electric set up, and I think I personally liked the 6S setup the best. I will check the airframe on Monday to determine the fit of the A123 cells. I am pretty confident that they will fit up in the nose quite nicely. I worked very hard to minimize the balancing on this type of model with such a short nose moment. We have been flying the current model on both the Saito .82 4-stroke and the Evolution 61 2-stroke With the Saito.82 we only had to add an additional 2 oz. to the nose for balance. The balance with the Evolution 61 2-stroke was near perfect. We have included a removeable weight box for the puprose of balancing the model sinmilarly to what was in the Sopwith Camel.

The Fokker DVII model in my opinion is more maneuverable than our Sopwith and I found that it really tracks quite well. We worked quite hard on making sure that all the incidences on this model were correct. I really appreciate how easy to land and take off the Hangar 9 Fokker DVII is. It will require some rudder input when flying in a crosswind, but normally you can just about advance the throttle and the model is in the air in 15-20 ft.

I am still finalizing the the new wheels and then we hope to post some new video up on the web-site sometime in March. The release date is set currently for June and we are expecting the sales volume to be good especially considering that we are taking this bird into our international market. I would get yours on backorder soon as I think we might see the same thing that happened on our B-25. We sold out of all the B-25's we could produce in the first 60 days.

Now for the ultimate question to the group.

What model would you like to see us do next in our WWI lineup?

Thanks again
Old 02-23-2008, 12:25 PM
chashint

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace
I think you are right about the shapes breaking up the outline. This was done with ships as well. I think we should all be thankfull that it is not RED!
But I like RED []
Old 02-23-2008, 12:37 PM
chashint

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well since you asked,
SE5 / SE5a with engine mounted upright, undercambered wing, scalish pull-pull rudder/elevator, functional flying wires, and covered in fabric.
An Albatros DII same as above would be cool too, don't forget the scale spinner for this one.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:50 AM
matt13

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with the SE5A, also the Fokker DR1 tri-plane would be quite popular in Richthofen Red. Like the Camel it would need a lot of weight to balance with it's short nose moment. Also a close second would be the Fokker D8, which has the advantage of only one wing. P.S any possibility of ordering these ARC (almost ready to cover) as there are many different colour options and some modellers like to do there own thing regards to finishing. (or they use to). Matt
Old 02-25-2008, 06:57 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello All,

I've been hounding Hanger 9 & Horizon Hobby, about coming out with Axis Warbirds for the past 3 years. I'm sure I wasn't the only one, however it seemed like it. I also been talking to Great Planes about bringing back the .60 Fokker Dr-1. One of the owners of my Hobby Shop had a meeting and the Great Planes Rep. last week. He told the guy that they are highly considering it. " His Words Exactly."

I've checked E-bay and every where so to speak, and I couldn't find that darn Fokker Dr-1 new in the box anywhere! And people who have them don't want to part with it... or they want $500-$750 for everything with the equipment and engine still in it. [:@]

I told my wife about the new Fokker DVII, and she's allowing me to save my money every time I get paid from AT&T. I have the Hanger 9 ARF .40 J-3 Cub, and I'm getting the Hanger 9 .40 Pawnee next... due to I have a extra .46 Evo sitting around, and it needs another plane to go in it. "I pulled it out of the ARF Hanger 9 Mustang before I sold it along with the equipment last year."

I might put a slightly more powerful engine in the Fokker D-VII, so I can have it fly like the Fokker D-VII F. That model was awsome, and way ahead of it's time back then. It was very deadly under the hands of a skilled pilot.

Good to see you all, I only pop in RCU when I get the time. My Office has RCU Forums Blocked, so I can only read the letters on the weekends. []

Scale Rules! [8D]

Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 856404
Radio Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY

Supporter of Redneck R/C
Fulton, NY
Old 02-25-2008, 07:12 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Albatros D.III, Albatros D.V or Fokker Dr-1? A SE5a would be nice to pounce on once and a while.

How about some Axis WWII to go up against all those P-51's and allied birds you already have in production?

You people make a fantastic ARF Hanger 9, keep the good quality going!

Scale Rules! [8D]

Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 856404
Radio Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY

Supporter of Redneck R/C
Fulton, NY
Old 02-25-2008, 08:46 AM
ghost-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How about an Albatros DIII (Werner Voss) or DV. A nieuport 28 with the American Hat in the Ring Squadron would be great also. Thanks Hanger 9 for filling a void for us who like WWI planes, Your DVII looks great. You are going to sell a ton of these things.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:47 AM
jmohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad to hear the D7 will fly better than the Sopwith. Sounds like I will enjoy it very much : )

As for the next WW1 plane: Too many DR1s around and they are hard to fly for most people. Maybe an Albatros or SE5, not a Nieuport as they are a pain with all the wires. Something with no wires would be nice, how about a D8?

Jeff
Old 02-25-2008, 11:56 AM
SackOHammers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think there are a lot of Fokker DR1's out there. Same can be said for Royal's S.E.5.

My favorite plane is the Albatros. Something after DIII (prefer the rounded fuselage over the square of the earlier models). Another great plane would be the Pfalz, again, rounded fuselage. You've already got the lozenge fabric. I think an Albatros DIII or DV would just be awesome. I would surely buy one.

P.S. Thanks for the update on the development. Also, thanks for requesting input on your upcoming models.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:10 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bbrundle

Thanks again

1. Spad
2. One of the albatrosses listed
Old 02-25-2008, 12:45 PM
ghost-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm sure they would design the Nieuport without needing flying wires & the Nieuport 28 has a longer nose than some of the other WWI planes & would be easier to balance. When it comes down to it though I'd be happy to just see this series continue to grow. A Fokker DVIII would be very nice & easy to set up at the field.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:51 PM
jmohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Nieuport 28 would be cool, but not the 17. My Nieuport 17 is a great looking and flying plane, but needs constant adjustment of the wires even with a perfect landing. I seem to break wires no matter how well I land A D8 in all lozenge would be great! They may want to make the wheel set a little wider if they make one so it's easier to land. With all that wing up high they can be a challenge when landing.

Jeff
Old 02-25-2008, 01:22 PM
jbarnes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bill, regarding the A123 cells. I think the best option is for the Eflite 60 with a 8 cell 123 pack. A 8 cell 2300mah pack is 10.5" x 1.25" x 2", we'd need to fit two of those packs in there to get to a 4600 pack. If you could provide the interior dimensions that would help us determine the options for battery packs. I have your B25 and love it, along with your P47 (150 size) and am looking forward to the D7 for our electric event in August. Thanks, Jerry.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks again
Rickenbackers Spad XIII

http://www.wwi-models.org/IM/USA/SPAD-XIII-Rick.jpg
Old 02-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll second that Spad XIII. But I'd prefer Frank Luke's mount.

I also like the Nieuport 28 and Albatross DIII or DV.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:13 PM
bbrundle
My Feedback: (40)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JBarnes,

The battery pack in the Fokker is designed to hang from the bottom of the EP plywood battery tray. The tray is designed so that you attach the battery to the tray and then insert the tray into the airframe through the top access hatch. I believe the A123 cells will fit in all dimensions you mention other than I am not sure you will be able to insert the tray with the battery attached. The traditional 6 cell lipo is closer to 7 inches in length and this just makes the angle during insertion into the airframe. The overall length of the area for the battery is 10 1/4" so you will need to possibly configure a different tray and hte battery should just fit. I do not have any othese size batteries or I would check the fit.

I hope this is helpful?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:21 PM
jmohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Will it require a motor mount when coverting to electric? Also, will it need a lot of weight up front when going electric? I will be using the Eflight Power 60 with a TP 6S 3300, 4500 or 5000 mah pack, which ever one fits.

Can I get one sooner than June?

Jeff
Old 02-26-2008, 06:36 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

spad XIII
Old 02-26-2008, 08:07 PM
ChuckW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gnirwin

spad XIII
I second that.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:37 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

ORIGINAL: gnirwin

spad XIII
I second that.
That would be you "third that"
Old 02-27-2008, 11:18 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Albatross D-V.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:46 PM
MAGICSWANSON

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nieuport 17
Old 02-29-2008, 07:36 PM
G-Man501

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well, a spad 13 would be very cool also the Albatros D3.
For some color schemes eddie rickenbacker for the spad13 and for Albatros D3 voss's plane is very interesting.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:20 AM
MAJOR SPLAT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bill

I would like to see an any of the many WW1 early aircraft but please stop using the shinny stuff and go for a more flat covering I know there are those who argue that matt was not available back then but it makes an aircraft look "right" rather than "toy like" and most people would be happy if the price was slightly higher to accomadate this .I have noticed top flight now use a flat matt film to great succsess
Keep up the good work its nice to see a manufaturer asking what we would like to see

Mick
Old 03-04-2008, 11:38 AM
silver.kiwi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for such a positive response to our new Fokker DVII. Let me try and comment on some of the posts I have read here.

We have flown the model on our E-flight 60Bl outrunner usung 5 & 6 cell Thunder Power batteries. You will find the performance very similar to the glow version. There is plenty of ground clearance for the larger propeller of an electric set up, and I think I personally liked the 6S setup the best. I will check the airframe on Monday to determine the fit of the A123 cells. I am pretty confident that they will fit up in the nose quite nicely. I worked very hard to minimize the balancing on this type of model with such a short nose moment. We have been flying the current model on both the Saito .82 4-stroke and the Evolution 61 2-stroke With the Saito.82 we only had to add an additional 2 oz. to the nose for balance. The balance with the Evolution 61 2-stroke was near perfect. We have included a removeable weight box for the puprose of balancing the model sinmilarly to what was in the Sopwith Camel.

The Fokker DVII model in my opinion is more maneuverable than our Sopwith and I found that it really tracks quite well. We worked quite hard on making sure that all the incidences on this model were correct. I really appreciate how easy to land and take off the Hangar 9 Fokker DVII is. It will require some rudder input when flying in a crosswind, but normally you can just about advance the throttle and the model is in the air in 15-20 ft.

I am still finalizing the the new wheels and then we hope to post some new video up on the web-site sometime in March. The release date is set currently for June and we are expecting the sales volume to be good especially considering that we are taking this bird into our international market. I would get yours on backorder soon as I think we might see the same thing that happened on our B-25. We sold out of all the B-25's we could produce in the first 60 days.

Thanks again
My vote's for a Neuport 28 or the Albatross.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service