Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Fokker DVII

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Fokker DVII

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 PM
gbman
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Fokker DVII

Built my DVII the summer 2009. Hung her in my hangar and have not touched her since. Decided to maiden her this weekend. As I was taking her down I bumped the right aileron, not very hard at all. The screws holding the control horn on the right aileron came out of the aileron. As I investigated the "hard point" in the aileron, it seems to be very soft wood under the covering. I have not taken the covering off, but am considering cutting the covering off and replacing the hard points in both ailerons. Anyone have similar problems with the screws holding the aileron control horns in place? I originally backed the srews out and put a drop of thin CA in each screw hole. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Hangar 9 Fokker DVII

I built mine about 1 1/2 yrs ago and don't remember any "very soft" wood in it. I haven't had the problem you describe but, Ihave noticed that CA will get brittle and give up after a while. You didn't say where it was stored but, I noticed this problem with one of my planes that had been stored in the garage. I assume the temperature extremes (especially the heat) in the garage, as compared to the air conditioned house, caused that problem. Ihad to re-glue all of joints Ihad orginally glued. The factory joints didn't seem to have the same problem.
It could be an issue with the brand of CA Iused or it could be a general issue with CA. I'm currently searching for a better glue option. I'm told there are a few choices on the market that are better than, or as good as, CA.

Good luck,
RJ
Old 12-11-2013, 02:40 AM
scatolina

Hello,
Please what Os ed Evolution engine could be ok for it?
Thanks
Claudio
Old 12-11-2013, 11:18 AM
rowdyjoe

I would recommend a 4 stroke .91 or a two stroke .60 size.

RJ
Old 05-14-2014, 06:51 AM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the H9 fokker and i want to put the Evo 15cc gas engine in it. This is essentially a .90 size nitro engine, but provide roughly .60 nitro output, but with more torque since she runs on gasoline 9so i've heard).
Point being is that i want to use an in-cowl muffler -like the one Evolution makes (aftermarket) for this plane in particular.
-Evolution .61 In-Cowl Compact Muffler (EVO061602)-
However, this item is is no longer in production. I was hoping that since you have this engine that you would have access to get the dimensions for me - if you had time.

Thank you in advance !
Old 08-06-2014, 01:58 PM
flypilot

Here is my new H9 DVII with Saito FG-14c, First startup and some tuning, got it running pretty good but took about an hour of fiddling with the needles, a bit different than any other gas engine I got, but its running good now...off to the field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odt2QQatZt4
Old 08-06-2014, 04:22 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of these I'v seen are Great flying little Fokkers. I still have mine new in the box. Good luck with that maiden and post some footage of the flights.

Roy.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:49 AM
NoFlaps
My Feedback: (131)

I finally test flew mine with the Evo 15cc.
It was an uneventful TO, though I could have used more Right Rudder.
I got her up and trimmed out, them my motor quit.
I believe it was not getting proper cooling (too much air in, not enough out).
I also wasn't happy with the way it was being pulled about on the 15x4 prop, I think I'll fly her next with a diffenet prop and no cowl, just to see.
Deadstick landing was pretty simple, but the glide was surprisingly fast. It could be the extra weight of the EI and extra battery.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:29 PM
rowdyjoe

Wow, 2 yrs without a post in this thread. Anyone still flying this kite?

It's been well over a year since I pulled the FA .80 out of my DVII with the intent to replace it with an FA .91S but, I'm finally getting "roundtoit". On first glance, it appeared the replacement engine was too large for the mount but, as it turned out, the Turbo Header was hitting the mount and preventing a good seat. After turning the header out a few threads, the engine drops right in place but, measures about 1/16" too long. I can live with that because with the cowling installed the difference is not noticeable unless you're looking for it. I don't plan on entering any beauty contests so, I don't care.
Our club is holding our annual War Bird event late next month and I want the DVII to be ready for it. I enjoy flying it but, didn't want to risk loosing it due to our freaky winds here in north central Texas. The extra power should give it the safety margin it needs to get out of trouble. It flies very scale with the FA .80 but, there is no "reserve" if/when you need it. The FA .91 will do the job.

RJ

Edit:
After further attempts to fit the .91 in the current mount, I find that the engine is also approx. 1/4" too low when the mounting tabs are fully seated on the mount. Hmmmmmmm, I'll have to try different mounts to see if the problem can be corrected without major modifications. This is a problem I didn't expect.

Last edited by rowdyjoe; 04-22-2016 at 07:15 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:37 PM
Azzir325

I still have/fly my H9 Fokker and Camel, plus I have and fly a GP DR1. I find it sad that NONE of these planes are still in production, but I guess business is business. They are my giant scale (poor man's giant scale) warbirds and I will have one or more of them at Warbirds over Delaware. Not to mention that this year marks the 50th anniversary of the Jamboree at Old Rhinebeck, coming up in September!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Me D7 at rhinebeck.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	2158303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Me and Camel.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	2158304   Click image for larger version

Name:	GP DR 1 TONJ 13.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	774.7 KB
ID:	2158305  
Old 04-20-2016, 05:59 PM
rowdyjoe

Hey Azzir, thanks for the reply. Good to hear from you again and glad to see you're still flying the kites.
I had a nice H9 Camel but, lost it due to my own stupidity and I really wish I hadn't.

Maxford USA ( http://www.maxfordusa.com/) is providing ARFs for WW1 birds. I've had my eye on the Nieuport 17 for a while and there are several others available.
Keep 'em flying.

RJ
Old 04-20-2016, 06:16 PM
Azzir325

I own two planes from Maxford-the Globe Swift and the Antonuv AN-2. Both are good flyers. I went to the Toledo show this year, and Maxford had a booth displaying their Gotha Bomber and I think a Hanriot and/or a Bleriot. I simply have TOO many planes!
Old 04-20-2016, 07:34 PM
rowdyjoe

I used to know that feeling but, after a disastrous year last year, my fleet is MUCH reduced. I lost some very nice, and costly, airplanes and none were repairable. When I crash 'em, they stay crashed. After last year, I was ready to quit but, came to my senses over the winter.
I'm hoping to get my confidence back soon so I can start having fun again. I'm currently flying a Big Stick 40 and will stay with it until I feel more comfortable and able to fly the DVII and my 50cc Extra 300. I have a couple of others that need some TLC before they can fly again and, depending on how I do with the "stick", I'll fix 'em up and fly 'em.
Maxford offers some very nice quality airframes and I've not heard a discouraging word about them. I look forward to building one of their models in the future.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:04 PM
rowdyjoe

I ordered a new engine mount for the DVII. It's a Dubro adjustable (composite) for .60 to .120 engines and should be the cure for my problem. I have a on of those for a .120 to .180 but, it's obviously too large. The mount should be here tomorrow.
I have a choice of an old OS FS .91 Surpass (new ring and thorough cleaning) OR a Saito FA .91s (runs great). I'm not quite finished reassembling the OS as I lost one of the valve spring caps while trying to re-install them. Fortunately, some parts are available and I was lucky enough to find them. They should be here tomorrow. I was successful getting the the exhaust valve installed today after much frustration and exasperation. Once I get it running right I'll make the decision on which engine to install.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Azzir325

What is it that they say-"If enough power is good, then more is better and too much should at least be considered"? Something like that. 91 4 stroke is in the "too much" class for this airplane, but it will work great once you get it mounted. I have the simplest 60 2 strokers installed in all 3 of my WW 1 kites. The special Evolution muffler designed for the D 7 fit my OS LA 65 perfectly and that old beat up motor runs like a champ! I have an LA 65 in my GP DR 1, and my Sopwith Camel came with an OS 61 FX mounted as per the manual and the standard muffler rides in the fuse cut out designed for it. All have plenty of power for any standard maneuver. With the season upon us, I am starting to check them over. Need at least one ready to go for the Spring Jamboree at Old Rhinebeck!
Rick
Old 05-01-2016, 06:37 PM
rowdyjoe

I was perfectly happy with the Saito FA80 when flying in winds under 10 mph and down the runway. However, those conditions rarely occur here in north central Texas. My H9 DVII ARF was a birthday gift from my Son and I value it too much to risk it in higher winds without "extra" power. The instructions for the plane call for a .61 two stroke or an .82 four stroke or an electric motor. Normally, a .91 four stroke is recommended as equivalent power to a .61 two stroke so, the H9 recommendation of an .82 FS is puzzling.
Anyway, the .91 should give me the safety margin I'm looking for, I can swing a bigger prop, and I can still fly "scale" by pulling the throttle back. Besides, I didn't have a .61 two stroke when I got the airplane but, I did have the FA .80.
I would love to visit Old Rhinebeck someday but, it's not likely I'll make it. In the pictures, it looks really nice.
I'd like to get my DVII ready in time for our annual Warbird fly-in on the 14th but, time is running out. IF the new mount works, I should be able to hook everything up, tune the engine, and go. If not, I'll reinstall the FA80 and hope for light winds or maybe just let her sit in the static display.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:24 AM
Azzir325

Wind is wind, and I admit there are times when I stay grounded because of it. In my case, however, having extra power wouldn't change my mind. But that's me. Sometimes I lack confidence.

As for Rhinebeck, the Jamboree is my main clubs (MHRCS.com) main event, and I have been involved with it since joining about 10 years ago, chairing the flight line committee for the last 4 or 5 years. I know it is a long way from Texas, but if it is on your bucket list, this would be a good year to attend, being our 50th anniversary. It should be good!
Rick
Old 05-02-2016, 11:20 AM
rowdyjoe

Once the airplane is up, it really doesn't care what the wind is doing, within reason. Getting it up and down safely that worries me. At our field, the wind can be 5 to 6 mph and suddenly gust to 15 to 20 or better. It's very unpredictable. We don't dare leave our planes unattended, or even turn our back, on a stand or table because we never know when a gust will hit and blow them off their perch. It has happened to many, including me. The extra power helps when you're low and slow and fighting freaky winds.

Rhinebeck is on my "wish" list and I wish I could make it, especially since it's the 50th anniversary but, it won't happen this year. I know you guys always put on a great show and I'm sure you'll do it again. I'll have to settle for pictures and video again this year. I hope the weather cooperates for the event. Good luck.

Last edited by rowdyjoe; 05-02-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:07 PM
Azzir325

Thanks for the kind words about Rhinebeck. I do have to agree with you, and this year we have our "Spirit of St. Louis" flying as part of the full scale show.

I and many of my friends have known the acute discomfort of having our planes blown off a table. The wind in the northeast doesn't blow all of the time, but it does blow!
Rick
Old 05-02-2016, 07:41 PM
rowdyjoe

Rick,
Be sure to post some pictures and video of the Rhinebeck event. We're celebrating the 20th anniversary of our Warbird event on the 14th. It always draws a big crowd and there's usually a WW1 bird or two in the parking area.

Biplanes at our field are rare so, having an event focused on bipes of any kind might draw 5 or 6 people. I love them but, they don't seem to love me very much. I've trashed every one I've had except the DVII. Some wrecked due to radio failure and some due to my bad judgement and one due to mysterious circumstances (it just dropped out of the air like someone pushed the stick forward). However, I'm not giving up on them. I really like the look of the Seagull Ultimate Bipe and may ask Santa for one this year. Sig is selling the Seagull line now after Tower dropped them from their web site but, then again, I really like the WW1 birds offered by Maxford. Tough decision ...maybe the Ultimate this year and one from Maxford next year.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:18 PM
rowdyjoe

Well, the new Dubro mount arrived and it will work BUT, I need to re-drill the firewall because it doesn't line up with the holes for the factory mount. Of course, that means removing the fuel tank and all that goes with it, filing the old holes, drilling new holes, and installing blind nuts on the new ones, etc,, etc. so, I chickened out. There isn't enough time before the warbird event to do a proper job so, I decided to re-install the FA 80 and hope the weather cooperates so I can fly it safely. The forecast for tomorrow looks really good with lots of sunshine and light and steady winds so, I'm taking it to the field tomorrow to drive it around a bit ...hopefully. The plane is prepped and ready for flight. It just needs fuel and the battery installed. This will be the first time in quite a few months that it's been out of the hangar and more than a year since it's been in the air. I'm a bit nervous.
I have a 13x8 prop mounted but, thinking it should be a 14x6 so, I'll take the bigger prop along with me in case. I really don't remember which prop I had on it last time it flew. Old age is the pits.

RJ
Old 05-05-2016, 02:58 AM
Azzir325

Joe, we have a guy in one of my clubs who likes to holler at a pilot "You fly IT, don't let It fly YOU." It's mainly meant as a joke, but there is some truth there. As long as you don't try to fly in winds that exceed your ability, you'll do fine. Remember, you are flying a H9 D 7, which is a sweet mannered bird that will do what you ask it to do, and do it well. And an 80 four stroke will fly it with power to spare. So let us know how it goes. Coincidentally, I am expecting new receiver batteries to arrive today for my D 7, and I am hopeful to fly it for the first time this year on Saturday.
Rick
Old 05-14-2016, 02:43 PM
Azzir325

Well, only a week late, but I DID get the D 7 up today. It flew well, handling a stiff breeze better then I did, and though I dorked the landing a bit, ending up on my nose, no damage, so no harm no foul, except to my pride. I was a little nervous since it has been a long time since I had one of my "major" planes in the air. I definitely should fly more!
Rick
Old 05-25-2016, 11:25 PM
rowdyjoe

Hey Azzir,
Congrats on the successful first flight of the season on your DVII.

My experience lately has not been that good. First, I wrecked the little "stick" by colliding with a foamy while airborne. Amazing how two of only 4 airplanes in the air can find each other going in opposite directions. Even more amazing is the fact that my stick was totally destroyed but, the foamy only suffered a small nick in the foam on the under side of the airplane where you have to look hard to see it. The collision took half my horizontal and all of the elevator out and the rest of the plane dove in from about 40 ft. resulting in a mass of sticks, covering, and various other debris. It hit so hard that it actually broke the front mounted carb on my brand new OS .46 AX II and managed to crack the crankcase where the carb mounts. Bottom line ....the engine won't fly again.
On top of that, my FA .80 gave me fits getting it started. I guess it sat too long and gummed up the carb. Once started, the high end would not tune so, it wasn't ready to fly for our Warbird event. I need to order an overhaul kit for the carb and try it again. Very frustrating.
After the destruction of the stick and the trouble with the engine on the DVII, I'm considering selling the whole lot and taking up knitting (or something equally as boring).

Last edited by rowdyjoe; 05-25-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:24 AM
Azzir325

Hey Joe! Good to hear from you. Sorry to hear about your stick. The story of your 46AX reminds me of an LA65 I planted so hard the carb sheared off. Fortunately, there was no crankcase damage, and when I needed a 60 sized motor for my D 7, I cleaned it off, found a carb for it and it runs great. As for the carb on your FA 80, I had a similar experience with an OS 91. She was an older engine I bought from an older gent, and ran undependably. It quit on take off in my full sized Mud Duck, causing a crash with damage. I tore the carb down, cleaned in in fresh glow fuel and reassembled it, and the problem was solved. Give that a try.

Thanks for the congrats. I have also taken my Sopwith Camel out for its first flights of the season. Good results. The motor (OS FX61) started right up and ran great. It was kind of windy and in a taxi test the plane jumped 4 feet into the air unexpectedly, so I firewalled the throttle and off we went. I had 2 good flights with good landings, and if you own a Camel you KNOW how tricky they are to land. I think the modification I made lowering the 16 ounce lead weight to the bottom of the cowl helped!

Next week I fly the Triplane!

PS: Knitting sounds good. Or maybe stamp collecting? LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.