Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Gas motor choice on Skyshark Christen Eagle?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Gas motor choice on Skyshark Christen Eagle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Rebel Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gas motor choice on Skyshark Christen Eagle?

I just picked up a Skyshark Christen Eagle ARF(new, never flown), and I would like to know what engines you have used on this plane. Do I need a heavy engine (G-45, etc) to balance it, or a light ignition engine (DA-50, etc)? What kind of power do I need? The plane weighs 11-1/2 pounds (doesn't look like I will make the listed weight on the box...). Will I be able to install a smoke system in it, or will it be too heavy? Will I be able to get this airplane 17 pounds or under? Any other modifications that need to be done to this plane, let me know. Sorry about all the question. Thanks for looking at my thread...

Rebel
Old 02-10-2008, 08:40 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Gas motor choice on Skyshark Christen Eagle?

Hi Reb. I flew mine for the first time yesterday on its maiden flight. I know you are wanting to know about gasser engines, but I have a saito 180 installed on mine. It seems like a very nice match . Everyone at my club told me yesterday "do not fly it" due to 20 mph winds wit gust more than that, but dangitt I came to fly! The winds were right down the runway so it wasnt too bad. This plane flies great! Just dont slow it down too much on final approach and it will settle down real nice for you.I havent weighed mine yet but Im 'just guessing' around 14 to 15 lbs. I would think that the lighter gasser engine you could use, the better to keep your wing loading down.
If you do a search in the arf section for this plane, you will come up with some good stuff to read- there are several threads about this plane there. I hope this helps you a little, if you should have any questions, fire away.Sorry about the wrong date on the picture- I replaced the batteries in it yesterday and forgot to reset the date
John
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90255.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	875498  
Old 02-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Rebel Flyer

Hi JOHNMcGOWAN

This plane WAS set up for a Saito 180...But not anymore. I cut the box off tonight. I took about 2-1/2 inches off the front engine box. I then glued a 1/2 ply firewall back in and pinned it to existing box. I cut the same down angle and right thrust that was set from the factory. I am a little concerned about the weight...11 pounds with nothin in it. I still dont know what im putting in it though. I'm thinkin a G-62 with a 19/10 Beila 3 blade prop on it. Too much power? Too much weight? All I fly are 1/6th scale wardirds and up. I am used to heavy birds and the wind wont stop me from flying. Thanks

Rebel
Old 03-24-2008, 11:01 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Rebel, did you ever get your eagle up and flying? If so, how did it do and what did you use for the go juice?
I got me another one from fleabay a couple weeks ago , its the yellow version but its still in the box, Im watching/waiting for a good deal on a 50cc gasser for it.
John
Old 03-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Rebel Flyer

I installed a G-62 in it. Weather is too cold up here and still have snow on the ground. I moved the rudder servo to a new tray aft of the stock location, with the throttle servo beside it. I will have to install a choke servo unless I want to cut a hole in the cowl. I have a pitts style Slimline smoke muffler on it too. Will post pics soon.

Rebel