Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Any comment on AMD PT19 Fairchild ARF?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Any comment on AMD PT19 Fairchild ARF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 05:50 AM
Turk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any comment on AMD PT19 Fairchild ARF?

Hi,I just have bought an AMD(Aero Model Design) PT 19 Fairchild,fibreglass fuse for .40-.46 engine..Please comment on it?How it flies? Wings seems a little small for such a plane(especially comparing Seagull PT 19 full balsa ARF) to me.Any tips for flight,take off and landing?
Thanks
Old 02-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Any comment on AMD PT19 Fairchild ARF?

Link?
Old 02-17-2008, 01:45 PM
TideFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don`t know, and I could be wrong, but I don`t know that you`re going to get many, if any, comments. Not sure that the company(AMD) is represented in the States. I know that I`ve never heard of them before.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:54 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

I'am not familiar with your particular plane, however, here is some general PT19 info that might be helpful: The full scale was originally designed as a pilot trainer for take off, landings, turns, and mild aerobatics. The model does all this quite well. Vertical climb outs and trick acrobatics are not this planes cup of tea! At first, go with the basics ie: take off and land into the wind; let the plane roll long enough until the tail feathers become alive, then give slight elevator to allow it to lift off smoothly as opposed to yanking it off the ground. Remember to add RIGHT rudder as you slowly advance the throttle on takeoff roll out. Rudder comes into play big-time during the entire flight for coordinated turns. It's not a floater, approach via a pattern and reduce power at the landing strip threshold.
It performs very scale like!

If your plane has the basic PT-19 specs/moments, it will be a real treat to fly! Good luck!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Turk1

Thank you all guys.The link is(only I could find) http://www.amdhobby.com/
There is no sign of that PT19 on that site.A non modelist friend has brought it from Singapur to me.Also there is no sign at all anywhere on product about manufacturer except a very small warning note in manual about to refer AMD if problems with kit.
I was having another PT 19 ARF of Seagull.It was a good plane, flying was pleasure.But it couldnt exit from a dive.Now resting as debris.
When I compare both planes wings, this new one as glassfibre fuselage, has smaller one-34,5 sq.dm. acc.to manual-.Manual says weight is 5 lbs. but I dont think it is right.Older full balsa Seagull PT19 was having 39 sq.dm.That is worrying me about flight characteristics.Our field is a little problematic one and I have to be so careful on landings especially.
I am assuming my flight weight will be around 6 lbs.Any assumption of stall speed?
Thank you again for kind replys.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:36 AM
safeTwire

Assemble it as light as you can. Select an engine to power it properly, as opposed to stuffing in a larger engine to go faster, in which the added weight of the larger engine will raise the stall speed.

Hangar9 makes a series of planes called "Ultra Stick". They come in various sizes. These planes fly great, are acrobatic, and...can be configured with flaps so that you can safely perform short field takeoff and landings!

Ultra Stick 40 ARF, Ultra Series
Ultra Stick 60 ARF, Ultra Series
Ultra Stick Lite 120 ARF
Old 02-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Turk1

Thanks SafeTwire,I will use SK 50 for it.Unfortunately I dont have any place for another plane in my apartment.I have to get accustomed to landing and take off under risky circumstances.Its a practice matter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24098.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	882279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90522.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	882280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91175.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	882281  
Old 02-18-2008, 03:05 PM
safeTwire

Nice plane!
Suggestion for antenna: Slide a piece of fuel line over it for protection where it exits the fuselage. Make a "strain relief" with a spare control horn cut to shape, small rubber band, and a T pin (or anything of the like). Stick the pin as to keep the antenna away from control surface hinges as best as possible. Good Luck!

Name:	Hf97819.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	882344  
Old 02-19-2008, 05:38 AM
Turk1

Thanks SafeTwire.I will post flight report here too.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:16 PM
safeTwire

You're welcome Turk 1!
Don't forget your radio Range Test and thorough pre-flight check, especially with a new plane!
Enjoy!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 AM
Turk1

At last I could find the chance to fly tests on a windy day.I was worrying about wing loading(though I dont know the total weight).But that
bird takes off before half throttle of my SK 50 while I try to keep model from nose down due to our rough field.It flies beautifully and obeys reasonably.I have to bend landing gears a little forward under wings to keep it from nose down while take off and landing.It is a good ARF
SK 50 engine handles it fast and easily maneouvred.More than enough power.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:57 PM
safeTwire

Good to hear that! Hope you have many more! Thanks for letting us know!
Old 03-01-2009, 01:42 PM
trorke

Hi!
Well finally you have helped discover where my model PT 19 comes from! I could not find any reference to it until I saw your thread. I have exactly the same worries as you had about its flying characteristics because the wing looks small!! I would be very interested to know what your PT 19's stall characteristics are like. And can this plane land slowly??? I have been flying now for six months and this will be my first tail dragger. I am planning to install an OS46 into the plane.

Name:	If10435.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1147736