Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

WM Super Stunts 40 questions

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

WM Super Stunts 40 questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 07:31 AM
longdan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WM Super Stunts 40 questions

I am putting together my new Super Stunts 40 and have a couple of questions. Maybe those that have assembled one can help.

Whats up with getting the fuel tank in and out? Once the tray for the throttle servo has been glued in, the fuel tank is there to stay. Do I have to cut out the servo mounts if I want to get the fuel tank out?

With regards to wing reinforcing - I have read a couple of posts that say the wing is a bit weak. Will a strip of glass over the central joint be enough?

I am converting mine to a taildragger. If anyone has done this - where is the best place to mount the tail wheel? On the fuselage just ahead of the horizontal stab? Or leave off the sub-fin and mount it off the horizontal stab?

I must say that I am very impressed with this plane so far. One thing though, this plane is HUGE. I've got a Super Tigre .45 to power it, but I'm wondering if this is going to be enough. I have a GMS .61 laying around ready to go in at a moments notice. I guess I'll try it with the .45 and see. The instructions clearly state that it is intended for a .40 and no larger.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WM Super Stunts 40 questions

A buddy of mine has a Super Stunts and has had 2 previous to this. It is very lightly built and may not be strong enough for an engine bigger than a .46. He broke the wing on one of his, not in the center, but about half way out. I think it has balsa spars and does not have a sheeted leading edge. He was pulling some hard maneuvers with a .46 and his wing let go. It's a good plane if you keep the speed down during acro, but you don't seem to be able to fling it around like an Ultra Stick of Big Stick.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:05 PM
grizzly59

Flied one of those for years and still have one of my originals about 8 years old. Got this after the trainer and learned to do alot of the stunts. It is a fun plane. I made it a tail dragger. Picture attached
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79573.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	938651  
Old 04-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Ugo Ferrari

longdan, I'm the Buddy Ed was referring to... I've had several of these and just love them ! However, they are very frail as you can see and won't tolerate being pushed around ! LOL! I had a Thunder Tiger .46 in my first one that literally ripped the wing off ! [X(]My fault. too many "G"s My second one was killed by a friend[] I'm flying one now, and have one on the shelf ![)] My latest one is powered by a Super Tiger .40 which is more than enough power. In the right hands (like Ed's) it will perform most maneuvers. Just open them up, and slow them down... They look better anyway !
My camera crapped out.. I wanted to show you how my radio installation looks. Anyway. If it's not to late, Don't glue in the throttle servo mount ! you can mount the throttle servo on the rear servo plate by shoving the rudder servo way over to the left side leaving plenty of room for the throttle servo. the rudder pull-pull system works just fine in that position and does'nt need to be centered. You may need a longer pushrod for the servo of course. Now you can at least get the tand out !
If I can get my camera working, I'll send you some shot of my installation. Anyway, here's a shot of my latest SS !
Ugo

Name:	Om32486.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	938971  
Old 04-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Ugo Ferrari

I got the camera working again... As you can see, I have the Spektrum2.4 System in this one. I am using a mini servo for the throttle attatched to the side wall of the foward compartment. I added 1/6 balsa "walls" and a floor to this area for added strenth. You can see all the room in the servo tray, next to the rudder servo, for you to put your throttle servo. Hope this helps..
You're gonna love this plane, It lands like a Ballerina !
Ugo

Name:	Om33882.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	939070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89616.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	939071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18148.jpg
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	939072  
Old 04-28-2008, 03:30 PM
longdan

Thanks Ugo. That's very helpful. I think I will leave out the throttle servo tray and mount it on the rudder tray like you said. That will leave plenty of room to mount the rx and battery.

I'll probably do the balsa side wall thing to. I've glued in bits of tri-stock where the bulkheads meet the fuse sides, but that doesn't add any 'diaphragm strength' like sheeting the insides would.

Last night, I cut the covering back on the wing centre section and put a large patch of glass almost to the outside of the sheeting. I'll do the top tonight. I wish world models had taken this sheeting out to the next wing rib. I think that would cure a lot of the weakness in the wing that people talk about. I may even cut the covering back further and put some carbon fibre ribbon on the bottom of the spars. I don't want to add too much weight to it, but I think strengthening these areas will be worth the weight penalty.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Ugo Ferrari

Don't waste your time glassing the center section...That's
not the problem, It's the OUTER panels that are the weakest part of the wing !!
Ugo
Old 05-03-2008, 07:14 AM
longdan

Ok, so I finally got it all together. She's ready for the maiden tomorrow - weather permitting.
It came out tail heavy, needed about 2 oz of lead in the nose to balance, and this was with the engine almost all the way forward on the mounts.
Here is how I mounted the throttle servo. I know it looks tight, but nothing touches, even at 120% throw. This is the first time I've set up a pull-pull rudder. I was surprised how easy it was. I did some research on it and now know about Ackerman. Glad I did, 'cos it could all go horribly wrong quite easily.
I haven't put any of the decals on yet. Maybe after the maiden. I think it looks better as a taildragger than as a trike, but that is just my opinion.

Name:	Ay73419.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	941920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw28195.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	941921  
Old 05-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Ugo Ferrari

Excellent Longdan ! Kinda looks like mine ! LOL !
I just got back from the field after flying my "Stunts". It's 12:15 pm Sat. here It was windy as hell and the Stunts just loves to hover in the wind....just hanging there.. Amazing !
I too left off the tacky graphics and just added this comment...see attachment.
Good luck on the "Maiden Flight" She do just fine. Don't push her !
Ugo

Name:	Ge94424.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	942018  
Old 05-03-2008, 09:43 PM
longdan

Well. Just got back from the maiden. It was drizzling and a bit blustery, and I was the only one at the field (no surprise there). But I was determined to get her in the air. So I filled the tank and cranked her over. Dialled in the engine and out to the strip. She leapt into the air in no time. Did a few laps round the circuit, just getting to know her. I had it on low rates, so it wasn't going to do anything unexpectedly. It flew like a dream. A few clicks of trim was all that was needed. She would even putter round the circuit at a fast idle. Landed, filled up, and off again. This time on high rates. This plane went where I pointed it. Everything was just too easy. Even managed a short high altitude hover. That big rudder really has some authority. I was getting ready for the 4th flight when the engine suddenly stopped. I put the starter on it and cranked and immediately could feel something wrong. The trusty old Super Tigre GS .45 was kaput.
See [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7453046/anchors_7453046/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#7453046]my post[/link] in glow engines for the analysis.

I really like this plane. As soon as I drop in my GMS .47, I'll be flying it again.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Ugo Ferrari

Great news, longdan ! Ain't She someting else? I have a coulple of GMS.47's...Lotsa power ! That's gonna be a nice combination. Better get another to put on the shelf. When the word gets out..... Our guys buy them by the 6 oack ! LOL !
It's 0630 Sunday, The weather looks good and I'm heading out to the field with my "Stunts...
Ugo
Old 05-05-2008, 05:53 PM
longdan

Hey Ugo - hope the flying went well on Sunday.
Well, after much thought and procrastination, I've decided to mount my GMS sideways in the stunts. One of the main reasons for deciding this is the fuel tank in the stunts nose is very low. The top of the tank is below the needle valve with an upright engine. This is miles off where it should be. With a side mounted engine, it brings it much closer to the recommended level. It will mean cutting the fuse side back a bit, but this is not a worry. The supplied mount can go in either position without having to re-install bind nuts. Because I've built mine as a tail dragger, I don't have to worry about the muffler interfereing with the nose wheel. This will also help to keep the plane clean. It does mean I will have to run a new throttle pushrod, but that doesn't worry me. I like the look of side mounted engines with the muffler hanging underneath - even if the muffler is off-centre. I think it's much tidier than an upright engine.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Ugo Ferrari

I thought about the side wise mounting but am just too lazy ! It does look a lot cleaner and I wouldn't have all the off-centered weight of this big Super Tigre muffler. Damn thing is big as garbage can. lOL ! Got a camera? Lets see what it looks like...
Ugo

Name:	Wu62094.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	943609  
Old 05-05-2008, 06:50 PM
longdan

ORIGINAL: Ugo Ferrari

Damn thing is big as garbage can
And as ugly as one too

That's something I never liked about ST engines. They could have done some streamlining or something. Although they do allow you to rotate it to whatever angle you want.

Haven't got it done yet. I'll do it over the next few evenings and post a pic when it's finished.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Ugo Ferrari

Of course you have a camera...What a dumbass I am ! 7 PM here... Gotta go in and watch TV !
Later Buddy,
Ugo
Old 05-06-2008, 05:04 AM
longdan

I took to my 'Stunts tonight with a saw and cut back the fuselage to mount my GMS .47 on its side. The pics show the result. Still have to route another throttle pushrod. That shouldn't present any problems.
I like the way it looks with the muffler hanging down underneath. And hopefully there will be less cleaning up to do at the end of the day.

Name:	Ec88760.jpg
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	943929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11542.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	943930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj66357.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	943931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay44836.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	943932  
Old 05-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Ugo Ferrari

Very nice, clean installation ! And it looks good too ! LOL ! Maybe next time... I told you I had another Stunts on the shelf. This one has Red wings. I picked it up a few years ago when they gave a choice of Red or Yellow.

Ugo
Old 05-06-2008, 03:21 PM
longdan

You should do it. It was so easy. Just hack a piece off the front of the fuse. The engine mount hole pattern in the firewall is square, so the mount can go in either way. It may cause some issues if you are using a nosewheel though. The mount has 2 plastic pieces that the nose leg pivots in. These are 'keyed' to the mounting beams with serrations to keep everything in place. With the mount on its side, these serrations are now at 90 degrees to each other, so they don't really work. I just left them out since mine is a taildragger.
I've now got to re-drill the engine mount since the holes in the GMS are about 1 mm further apart than the ST.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Ugo Ferrari

Maybe on the next one... It would give my nose gear some fits ! I can't mess up a good thing now... It lands SOOooo Nice with Tri- Gear ! I see you had to add some nose weight to compensate the missing nose gear. Mine came out nose heavy and had to move the battery pack aft to bring it in. Must have been the clunky Super Tigre and that huge muffler ! LOL !
Old 05-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Ed_Moorman

The Super Tigre engines are now produced in the same factory as the GMS and Tower engines. I don't know why they don't realign the muffler mount holes so they would fit the "standard" muffler bolt spacing, like OS, Thunder Tiger, Magnum, GMS, Tower, SK, JBA, etc.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:48 AM
bigfella65

I relies this thread is a little old but was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on how to convert this aircraft into a tail dragger.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:11 PM
longdan

Ditch the wire landing gear that came with it and get an aluminium one, and some bigger wheels because the ones that come with it are a bit small (for grass fields). Glue a slab of wood into the bottom of the fuselage just ahead of the wing for the landing gear screws to anchor into.
Get an of-the shelf tail wheel like [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4350&Product_Name=Tail_Wheel_System._w/_Steering_&_Spring_40-90_Size]this[/link].
Dont glue the little wedge shaped fin extension to the bottom of the horizontal stab because this is where you want to mount the tail wheel.