Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

goldberg Ultimate 10-300 plus Magnum .91, will it be ok?

I have a NIB Magnum .91 fours stroke. I want to put it in the Utimate 10-300 arf. Will it be enough power? I had a kit version back in the 80's with a Irvin 60 two stroke and it was pretty fast. I have read many forums and good things about the engine and I already know the plane is good, except the color could be of a different color. But still it is an awsome flyer. I will take advise.
    Thanks
    Rich O.
    Conneaut, Ohio
    Never pull up when 3 ft above ground inverted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: goldberg Ultimate 10-300 plus Magnum .91, will it be ok?

Ok, here ya go, for what it's worth. This will be the third season on mine. First season-Saito 120. OK, but not enough for my style of aerobatics and the plane is very capable, so, second season-Saito 150. Better, but still not quite enough to pull nice round knife edge loops. This season-Saito 180. One word....awesome!!!! This is going to be a fun season with this plane. Does it need all that power??? No, but the plane is able to handle it.

I will add, after a mishap with radio interference as a guest at another field, I rebuilt the front end with parts from a NIB kit I had and in the process, I beefed up the cabanes by doubling them and adding epoxy to the mounts. I also strengthened the gear mount for the added weight up front. She handles it quite well and lands like a Cub with the CG back as far as I have it to get more performance.

Here she is after I got back from the first flight of this new season. New engine (180) and new radio (9303). I can pull vertical from the ground, snap and aileron roll on the way up, and then flat spin inverted on the way back down, my new take off procedure with this plane. Tons of fun.

You already have the engine, so there is an argument for flying it with what you have, but, my guess is that you will want more power at some point, with this airframe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt57331.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	940063  
    Cheers,
    Gary P. / use Steel Powder for ballast not lead. PM me for more information.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A friend in the club has one and he flys it with a OS 91FS and it does everything but blast out of a hover. It will hover, at full throttle, and he just noses it over to stop. It could use more for my taste.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Obie, the 91 will be plenty of power unless you plan on doing any extreme maneuvers.
    Mike B. AMA# 42400 www.gettingairborne.com
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #2 - Waco Brother #188 - Cub Brother #2

\"Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.\" - Groucho Marx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As in many questions, the answer is "it depends". I have one and for my style of flying it does well. I dont really do 3d with it, but it flies well to do airshow aerobatics. I can't do knife edge loops, not enough power. That is the only time I have wished for more power. Since you have the engine I would put it on and enjoy. It is a great flying plane.
    At one field the spectators were commenting that it had a saito 120 and were incredilous that it was a mag 91.

Slopoke
    Saito #254
    Life is too short to fly helicopters.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info. I do not do 3D and as for knife edge loops, I can go without. I just like as put. Air Show aerobatics.
    Never pull up when 3 ft above ground inverted.