Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Dave Patrick models sold to Cermark

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Dave Patrick models sold to Cermark

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:38 AM
103/17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dave Patrick models sold to Cermark

Dont know the details, I am sure someone does. I read recently that Dave Patrick Models was purchased by Cermark. Rumor is that that Dave Patrick will be doing consulting for them as well. I hope we can buy the models again soon..........

103/17
Old 05-01-2008, 12:11 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Dave Patrick models sold to Cermark

We got the scoop at the Toledo show.

Yes DPM is back in business with the backing of Cermark.

I just checked the RCU Magazine Toledo Show spread and realized that somehow the video didn't get posted. I'll get that fixed.

In the meantime, here is what we shot:

[link=http://www.minnartist.net/RCU/reviews/Xtol/dpm.wmv]Dave Patrick Models Returns[/link]
Old 05-03-2008, 07:42 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. This is good news for the DP cub fans out there.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:41 AM
ProScaleRc

The question is, will they be any better?

I wrote to both Cermark and Dave asking about outstanding DPM warranties. I asked this as I have been waiting nearly two years for a replacement windscreen and landing gear for my Clipped Wing Cub. It was damaged in freight to Australia and since DPM have not been able to manufacture replacements. To date I still have not had the pleasure in flying my plane as I don't have all the parts to complete it. Neither Dave nor Cermark replied to my emails.

Just to test Cermark, I sent an email from the same email address enquiring about purchasing an F-16... surprise, surprise, they answered that email. []
Old 05-04-2008, 07:27 AM
103/17

Pro scale RC, Thats not very encouraging. Have you tried actually calling and talking to someone? e-mails are easy to overlook or delete. A live person on the other line is a little harder to stall and ignore.

103/17
Old 05-04-2008, 09:55 AM
pacoflyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed...
A live person is the best way to get your concerns honestly addressed. That's the reason at Toledo a few years back I approached Steven Chao [Mr.Cermark] with pieced of my crashed Cermark Pitts. The manufacturer of this plane had "forgot" to glue much of the wing which lead to it's demise. This was probably my 6th Cemark plane so with that you'd think that I at least deserved an explanation or even an apology With the proof in hand and face to face , Mr Chao just ignored me and when I persisited , he got rather rude. Cermark's customer service at it's best. I've spoken with other modelers who have had similar experiences with this company. Also , consider his actions at this year's Toledo show. Based on my experience, I guess the lesson is..... it's OK to deal with Cermark until you have a problem.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:10 AM
103/17

YIKES, Thats pretty poor service. I used to work for a snowmobile manufatcurer in the mid west and when we did consumer shows you were always very willing to help anyone who had an issue. The sales guys used to love to bring techs or engineers because we could talk the talk and help. The last thing you want is a flaming customer in your booth spewing bad press because you couldnt or wouldnt help him. Introduce yourself, walk away from the booth with the customer, listen while you walk, agree to their problem and give them a resoluition or your contact info because you may not have the answer. Those were the rules of engagement and I believe they are still sound today. I guess I was unaware of Cermarks service, or lack of...............

103/17
Old 05-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

I don't know whether to say "oh goody! or "oh goody," Either way, he did produce top quality planes. One thing i am stern on is customer service. Along with Pacos comments. I only buy from those which will help you out.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:53 PM
103/17

Dave Patrick did produce excellent flying aircraft. I have built just about every goldburg kit he was involved in. I have built 6 Goldburg Ultimates and have to say its one of my favorites. Everytime I build one, fly it for a summer and and sell it I ask myself why I did that and build another. I guess I'm a slow learner.
The big question will be how their partnership will be formed. Will it be Cermark with DP consulting? Will he be more involved than just designing and consulting? I sure dont like what I have heard here about Cermark..........I was going to buy a Javelin, I think now I will save my money and build a Summit III kit from Aztec.

103/17
Old 05-05-2008, 02:43 AM
stevenchao

ORIGINAL: ProScaleRc

...I wrote to both Cermark and Dave asking about outstanding DPM warranties. I asked this as I have been waiting nearly two years for a replacement windscreen and landing gear for my Clipped Wing Cub...To date I still have not had the pleasure in flying my plane as I don't have all the parts to complete it. Neither Dave nor Cermark replied to my emails.

Just to test Cermark, I sent an email from the same email address enquiring about purchasing an F-16... surprise, surprise, they answered that email. []
To ProScaleRc: You may not liked the answer I wrote via email to you in mid/late April, but saying that Cermark did not email back is not cool. Summarizing my email to you: Cermark does not have any inkling of what went on between you, your retail store, and DPM. However the Super Cub and possibly the Clipped Wing Cub are being redone with the projected time frame of 4-6 months. They will not be from the same mold as before. Therefore the new part may not even fit your old part. As a rule of thumb, packages are usually insured, so it really should be takened up with your shipment handler (UPS/FEDEX/....). Since we don't know any details, I don't have any comments on your situation. We will do the best we can to help the previous owners with parts, however at this point, we don't even know the condition of the molds. Finally, I asked that you email me directly at [email protected], becuase I don't check my pm nor rcuniverse frequently.

To pacoflyer (Paul): I don't remember if I was there at Toledo 2005 (Cermark's booth). I don't know the situation, so it would not be fair for me to comment on your experience. I empathize with your situation, and I will not attempt to justify nor to correct your or Cermark's statements in anyway. I must let the chips fall where they should. I have been mananging Cermark for the past year or so. Our team is stronger, and better at service than previous. Whether it will live up to your expectation, I can not comment. You're more than welcome to call me to shoot the breeze.

To 103/17: Summit III is a good flying airplane. We not longer have any Javelin II in stock.

note: I am a jerk sometime. I don't like being screwed. Like everyone, I don't like people SCREWING others. Awful # of "I":-) So if anyone thinks that Cermark or I am taking advantage of he/she/them, please call me or our staff and get a straight answer from us. This will avoid any stench that arise from rumors.

PREVIOUS POST

I want to personally clarify as best as I can of the DPM situation. We (Cermark) are currently working with Dave Patrick to bring DPM back into the market. We looked at several factors that we felt important to us, you and our industry
1) Dave Patrick is a strong designer, and has given much to our industry
2) There are still much creative juices left in Dave Patrick
3) Cermark can help minimize some of the business logistic and vendor issues that DPM experienced previously.

So we are moving ahead in bring DPM back to our industry. We want to provide Dave as much resources as possible to allow him to focus on creative aspect of design, QC portion of production, and teaching portion of flying for DPM. As for service and logistics, we are in the process of setting up. Please give us approximately 30-40 days integrating telephone, email and website.

As for the DPM items, here are the plan
a) Available now
MAX adhesive - made in USA, thin / medium / thick with special patented cap in 20g and 50g sizes
Ultra Tailwheel - Wire and Leaf style versions in small, medium and large sizes (with limited quantity on hand).

b) Available in 60 days
MAX adhesive - made in USA, thick foam safe CA in 20g and 50g sizes
MAX accelerator for CA

c) Availabe in 4-6 months
Super Piper Cub - Vero Beach version in yellow Ultracote

d) In discussion
Clipped Wing Piper Cub - with racing strips in white base Ultracote
Blue head engines

If you have any suggestion for me, you can email me directly at [email protected]

Peace,
Steven Chao
Old 05-05-2008, 05:50 AM
pacoflyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A prompt and seemingly honest response from Steven Chao.
That's a step in the right direction. We'll watch what follows......
Old 05-05-2008, 08:23 AM
103/17

Well,

After being in customer support and service for some 20+ years for an OEM what I can say is at least he cares enough to come onto a forum and defend himself and his company. He even left the door open for people to call him, that takes some salt! I hope the fellow who talked to him at the show does call him, work it out and post his results. It would be a good indicator to me that Cermark is pro-active in dealing with issues. This one is very visible right now so I would expect it to be taken care of in some manner. I didnt say anyone was right or wrong but I am sure there is a solution, there always is.

For the record, Its nice to see someone willing to talk to people instead of insulating themselves behind the walls of their call center. Direct communication is something you dont often see anymore, a rare quality these days indeed. I think his post anyway was honest. [)]

103/17
Old 05-05-2008, 11:28 PM
stangevil29
My Feedback: (1)

To: StevenChao
Do you have any plans for the line of ultimates that DPM made?
Thanks in advance Stangevil29
Old 05-05-2008, 11:47 PM
rc2007

Check this out:

http://www.rchotdeals.com/

[link=http://www.rchotdeals.com/]bad[/link]
Old 05-06-2008, 05:49 AM
ProScaleRc

Got an email from Steven at Cermark today and he's been great. Looks like I may be flying my Cub later this yeah. I'm one happy camper!
Old 05-08-2008, 02:39 AM
stevenchao

ORIGINAL: stangevil29
...Do you have any plans for the line of ultimates that DPM made?...
Dave and I discussed at lengths regarding the upcomming airplanes on the drawing borad for the next 12 months. Unfortunately there was not the room for an Ultimate. Dave has expressed a Bipe of some sort after the 12 months, but we have not decide on which yet.

Ultimates have been one of Dave Patrick's signature plane as most of you already know. However the creative decision is really his, not mine... You guys are more than welcome to call us at (562) 906-0808 or (800) 70-hobby, if you have any question.

Peace,
Steven Chao,
Cermark
Old 05-08-2008, 03:28 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steven ... I would love to see some DPMs back out in the market, I am in love with the Ultimate but cannot get my hands on one here in Malaysia. From what I hear past experiences were not positive and we hope to see DPM products back on the shelves here! I am keen to electrify a big DPM Ultimate!
Old 05-08-2008, 08:12 AM
103/17

I am one of the guys waiting for an Ultimate. I am currently flying the 6th of my Goldburgs that I have built. Its a great plane but I know the DPM is a little bigger and a little lighter. I have 2 other club members who are also waiting for the return of his Ultimate. They both tried to buy one last summer with no luck. I think it would be a good decision to keep the Ultimate. The tooling is done and I am sure it wouldnt take much to get them on shelves....... My opinion for what its worth. I would buy one if I could.

103/17
Old 05-20-2008, 07:07 PM
stevenchao

Hi,

Our concerns reside mostly in 2 areas, (1) vendor (2) quality. With vendors, we are waiting the likelihod of limited pruduction of parts without an exuberant amount of cost. We are also checking on the the mold conditions also.

Steven Chao,
Cermark,
Old 05-20-2008, 09:37 PM
I_Fly_Coolers
My Feedback: (7)

Steven,

Does Randy still work at Cermark? I have dealt with him in the past and received nothing short of great service from him regarding my F-16 propjet, and these were not even "warranty" issues.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:41 AM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Would be nice to see the DP Ultimate back again. I really wish I still had mine.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Smokin Cap
My Feedback: (49)

Whatever happened to the DP SuperCub coming out?? It's 5 months past the time they were supposed to be available and no info yet.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Actually, I thought this month (December) was the due date. Who knows at this point.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. I just searched the Cermark website and could not find a single reference to DP except glue.

Dave Olson
Old 12-20-2008, 10:33 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.cermark.com a shortcut....search every day untill we score on that DP connection! Capt,n

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.