Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Electrostik by Electrifly - any good?

Sorry you had those issues ZRAT. Just received my Electrostik and the wings were in perfect shape.

Keep up the pressure with your requests to GP. They will make good on the issue.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Electrifly motor, Rimfire 42-40-1000, did not work with my setup. So far, I've had three and the last was returned for credit. I've now installed an AXI 2826/10 on an Electrifly mount. At first I thought this mount wouldn't fit, but on closer inspection, it does. The front of the mount has to have the four mounting holes elongated to fit the AXI. It took since July to get to this point. A week or so ago I took it to the field for calibration with my Wattmeter. It was too windy to fly. With the help of a buddy, and running an 11x8 prop, it showed 477 watts and pulled 48 AMPs. This was with a 4cell A123 battery, 60 AMP Phoenix ESC and a Castle BEC.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just received my Electrostik (B-Day present) and put it together in about an hour. The Landing Gear are beautifully finished! I epoxied the wing panels together and covered the seam with monokote....that screwed nylon strap method of joining the wing panels looked way too hokey. Everything else is pretty much stock.

One question about the Rimfire C42-40-1000: Tower's website shows it with two hex-head bolts sticking out of the prop base peice. Mine doesn't have that feature. What are those bolts for?[]
    I don\'\'t necessarily believe everything I say
    ...Marshall McLuhan...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I haven't been able to fly my Electrostik yet due to weather (ttt-t-t-too cold or too windy). My Rimfire motor runs fine, however, and all else seems well, too. About the only complaint I have is the rudder and left aileron are a bit warped. I'll have to play with those trims once airborne, I expect. The monokote job wouldn't be approved by Jeff Troy, but it's about as good as I do on my kits. I had to smash it down a bit with the iron, but it looks acceptable now from about 10'. Hope to give the bird a go tomorrow 'cause the forecast is for calm winds and 40+ degrees. I can handle that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr50464.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	1082709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf12471.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	1082710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hm24041.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	1082711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ke91632.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	1082712  
    I don\'\'t necessarily believe everything I say
    ...Marshall McLuhan...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, Ive been researching the electrostik for a while, while it seems it has unvelievable power out of the box for the price, I have been thinking twice about it after reading on this forum. All I know is it is extremely unpopular compared to the Eflite version. Why?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I flew mine until the ESC cut out, several TnG's, didn't time it but est ~12min. Loops and rolls well, post maiden inspection revealed battery came loose and slid back in compartment, will add some velcro to hold in place front to back. The only other item was the tail, out of the box one of the vert stab bolts was too short, barely got a nut on it, it seems like it may have pulled loose, as now there are threads to spare, may need epoxied back in. I spend a lot of time tweaking the elev/rudder linkage rods to reduce binding as well. I love this plane.

Zrat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With the recommended setup the Eflight has better climb rate from what i could dig up. Very similar planes. I think the Eflight has longer ailerons and flaperon option. I like the EStick graphics better. I had to warranty return my original wing on the Estick, aileron linkage was in the wrong location and it wouldn't move. Monocote looked like a prune, the owner of the LHS ironed on it for a couple of hours before I picked it up, I almost asked for my money back. Stripped the gears on one of the servos since the linkage rods were binding. You won't have it in the air in 4Hrs but if you like tinkering I recommend it, it flies great. Emailed GreatPlanes, they said go through the LHS for warranty issues then contact them if I still had trouble. My issue was it's sold as an ARF, factory quality control could be better. Zrat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi,

well i flew my electrostik tonight for the first time finaly (LOL) it flies very well and has plenty of power with the stock set-up. loops were nice, rolls were ok take off was uneventfull. landing was a bit of a suprise as it wanted to stay flying, had to go around a second time and get a bit lower before i cut power as she wants to float for ever.

all in all a very nice plane for the money, mine was good out of the box very few wrinkles and all i had to do was add some glue to the landing gear as i had heard they were a weak spot.

it might become my second favorite plane

bassman
    some people are like slinkies not worth much........... BUT bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After going through the plane and adjusting the linkages for freeplay this EStick has proven to be quite enjoyable. I fly a lot of foamies, jets,250W Slow Stick, warbirds, etc, I really like the handling on the Estick and it doesn't mind gusty wind when under power.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've got about 30 flights on mine and it is great.
    Motor Turnigy SK4250-650; Esc Turnigy Super simple 60Amp; Battery Turnigy 1.8AH 6S 40C
    Prop Turnigy Beachwood A 12X8; Main wheels Dubros 3.5 inch Vintage ( to get clearance for 12 inch prop )
    4 Hitec HS85MG servos;
    All up weight 63 oz.
    Thrust 110 ounces @ 45 Amp
    About 1000 watts.
    250 watts / pound.
    Thrust to weight ratio 1.75
    CG 21% MAC about 63MM. ( a little nose heavy )
    Battery lasts about 9 min touch and go's or Imac Basic practice. Estimate 3 minutes full throttle.
    In the battery compartment R-L is ESC(black); adapter cable XT60 to Deans(yellow);1800 6S battery(blue);
    foam spacer(white); Eneloop 6v 800mah Rcvr battery(yellow). batteries are not connected.

This is the fastest vertical plane in my fleet including glo and electric.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo40119.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	1393666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez82000.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	1393667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw66492.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	268.0 KB 
ID:	1393668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mj24575.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	241.4 KB 
ID:	1393669  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got mine a while back and it's great. I shook the box and it just went together on the floor............just kidding, but it goes together so easily. I have had a number of Stiks and this one is no surprise........just flies and flies. Someone at our field this last weekend commented on the vertical performance. The tailwheel "whisker" is the only fault this plane has. I just went down to the LHS and bought a DuBro tailwheel bracket for $2 and fitted it onto the plane and problem solved. I'm using a 3S 3200 11.1v LiPo 20C and it works great.

Cheers,
    Andy
    AMA 16066

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Daniel-EL

Just received my Electrostik (B-Day present) and put it together in about an hour. The Landing Gear are beautifully finished! I epoxied the wing panels together and covered the seam with monokote....that screwed nylon strap method of joining the wing panels looked way too hokey. Everything else is pretty much stock.

One question about the Rimfire C42-40-1000: Tower's website shows it with two hex-head bolts sticking out of the prop base peice. Mine doesn't have that feature. What are those bolts for?[]
    What's hokey about the strap joining the wings??? I've assembled a few ARF's between kit builds, and the epoxying the wings together is a major pain in the ***.........the straps were quick and have survived many many flights.
    AMA 16066

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm really interested in picking up one of these in ARF form with the 42-40-1000 Rim Fire.  I would defiantly go the dual servo route for ailerons, but I was wondering if this plane would benefit from flaps like its big brother?  Would it be possible to cut flaps out of the ailerons or does this plane even need flaps?  I was reading how some say it likes to float and float.  So on the other side of the coin, I was wondering if this plane would benefit from a spoileron / flaperon set up better.   

There are several trainer planes on the market that are upgradeable from 3 channel to 4 channel by adding ailerons, so there's no need to scrap them once you're comfortable with everything you can make a 3 channel plane do. I would suggest checking out the "Switch" which is two planes in one package, a high wing trainer that quickly converts to a mid-wing sport. Take time to watch the numerous videos on the Electrostick on YouTube. They should give you a pretty good feel for what to expect. Basically, the "ugly stik" design is a good plane with a wide flight characteristics envelope ranging from slow and easy to wild aerobatics, depending on how you set up the control throws. I have noted from some of the videos that the Electrostik as RxR equipped flies quite well at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, and will go vertical at full throttle.

If you epoxy the wing halves together using a single aileron servo, you've created a problem for converting to two-servo ailerons in the future. Look inside the wings from the root and you'll see pre-installed strings for threading the dual servo leads through the wing. Once the wing halves are epoxied together that easy access is gone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12