Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Undecided - WM Super Sports or LA Racer

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Undecided - WM Super Sports or LA Racer

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:04 PM
longdan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undecided - WM Super Sports or LA Racer

I'm looking at getting a new ARF for general sport flying and a few aerobatics,and something that can move along at a resonable pace - basically a good all round sports plane.
I have narrowed my decision down to 2 planes - both World Models ARFs.

1. WM Super Sports 40
2. WM LA Racer

The Super Sports has 2.5" more span and 18 sq. in. more wing area than the LA Racer, but a bit more weight according to the specs.
One is trike, one tail dragger - I would probably convert the trike to tail dragger anyway.
The prices are pretty much identical.

Any major differences between the two in terms of handling or speed?

This is to be an upgrade from my WM Super Stunts 40, which is a nice plane, but a bit lacking in speed and maneuverability.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:32 AM
kojak41

Default RE: Undecided - WM Super Sports or LA Racer

[8D]World Models uses two different covering materials, a light one and a heavier one called I believe "Toughlon" I bought the LA Racer since it uses the heavier covering material. I'm not sure about the Super Sports. I had a World Star 40 which had the lighter covering material and I had to make little patches after every flying session. I fly off a hard surface with a lot of small rocks and they put a lot of little holes in the lighter covering. No problem with the heavier covering. The World Models Hong Kong web site tells you what covering each model has. Their US distributer's site, Airborne Models, does not, but you can not order directly from the Hong Kong site. If you like tail draggers I think you wil like the LA Racer.

Mike H.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pylon race my LA Racer in club 40 but the airplane is such a sweet flying plane I just like to sport fly it when I am out at the field. I flies just as well upside down as it does right side up and knife edges better than some dedicated 3D planes I've flown. All around the only complaint I've found is that the covering is just not as good as the better stuff like Monokote and other top quality coverings. It's not horrible, just not as good as the top stuff. We fly with Thunder Tiger 40 Pros in club 40 and the LA balances perfect with that engine.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:01 PM
The Toolman

Hands down... The LA Racer. I fly mine with an OS 46 ax an it just screams through the sky. Just be sure n glass where the wings go together though. I loop an make sharp turns at full speed an don't have any trouble with anything breaking. Have flew it that way for better than 2 years now. It is probably about my favorite flyer next to my H-9 Tango......

Ronnie
Old 07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
longdan

Thanks guys. Your input has been helpful. I think it may have to be the Racer.

I sometimes lurk about in the Club40 forum, because I find it interesting and it looks like fun, even though that kind of racing is non-existent in this part of the world.

Has anyone mounted their engine sideways in their LA Racer? I think this type of install looks much neater, and I can never resist doing a bit of bashing to a new ARF.
Another mod I would make is to replace the wire gear with a folded aluminium one.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:40 PM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: longdan

Thanks guys. Your input has been helpful. I think it may have to be the Racer.

I sometimes lurk about in the Club40 forum, because I find it interesting and it looks like fun, even though that kind of racing is non-existent in this part of the world.

Has anyone mounted their engine sideways in their LA Racer? I think this type of install looks much neater, and I can never resist doing a bit of bashing to a new ARF.
Another mod I would make is to replace the wire gear with a folded aluminium one.

Naaaa, I just fly mine like it comes. If ya put a fast engine on it be sure an put some heavy transparent tape on the wing an elev leading edges, cause they'll sure peel back after a few high speed passes......

Ronnie
Old 07-02-2008, 07:58 PM
longdan

Thanks Ronie.

I'll probably be putting a GMS .47 in it, as it is the only engine I have left in this size range after my ST .45 self-destructed.
I guess the GMS would be considered 'fast' for this plane, so I'll do the tape thing.
Does anyone put fibreglass around the wing joint?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:22 PM
The Toolman

ME.... if you read the first post I put here a few back...LOL
I just glassed the bottom of the joint on mine.

Ronnie
Old 07-02-2008, 08:30 PM
longdan

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

ME.... if you read the first post I put here a few back...LOL
I just glassed the bottom of the joint on mine.

Ronnie
[&:] Must be going blind, or getting Alzheimer’s, or getting Alzheimer’s .
Old 07-02-2008, 10:38 PM
tIANci

The LA Racer is a faster plane but in my opinion the SS40 is much more aerobatic. So what do you want? Tear the skies out or learn to fly maneuvers?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Jezmo

I am having trouble understanding where the extra maneuverability is coming from on the SS 40. It is a heavier plane (5.5 lbs compared to 5 on the LA) on a wing that is roughly about the same size as the LA. World even recommends the LA as an aerobatic trainer. Can someone clue me in? Does it have oversize control surfaces like a Yak or Extra or Edge? I haven't personally flown one is why I am a little in the dark on this. From the pics on World Models site I can't see anything that would give it a distinct advantage in aerobatics. When I slow down my LA it does very nice loops, rolls, knife edges, and heck I can even hover it for short periods (I am not very good at 3D but I am learning). Bring me up to speed on the SS 40.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:22 AM
BlackB12
My Feedback: (9)

I don't see the SS40 as more maneuverable. I have a Skyraider Mach 2 and my brother has a SuperSports 40. Flying them back to back the Skyraider will do better aerobatics with less engine. his SS40 is more precise and handles wind a little better probably due to the weight, but it's definitely less lively in the air. Maybe with the CG pushed back farther and a more powerful engine (his has an Evo 46) it would be more maneuverable. I know this isn't a direct comparison but the LA racer looks similar to the skyraider mach 2 as far as the specs go.

Mike
Old 07-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Jezmo

I have flown both the Raider Mach II and the LA Racer. Not much difference at all between those two. I've just never flown the SS and can't see a logical reason it would be more aerobatic.