Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 100" J3 Cub ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hanger 9 100" J3 Cub ARF

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 03:01 AM
Hanger Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 100" J3 Cub ARF

Has anybody put one of these together and flown it? Anything I should modify or beef up? I plan on using a G23 for power. I appreciate all feedback and advice.
Old 03-14-2002, 04:17 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Default H9 Cub

I've had this plane for about a year and a half or so. Very well built, Very good looking and a great flyer. I put a Siato 150 in mine but a g23 would be great.
Old 03-14-2002, 01:11 PM
Hanger Rat

Default Hanger 9 Cub

This is the first ARF I ever owned. Is there anything at all that needs changing or strengthening? Anything that showed up later when you flew it a couple of times? Thanks for your help, Ken
Old 03-14-2002, 02:33 PM
Joss Stick
My Feedback: (1)

I put a Saito 150 in mine as well. The only thing I change was the tail wheel hook up. I don't remember now how I did it differently from the directions but it wasn't anything major. The Cub is great. Well built and so on. Flies scale. I put a Master Airscrew classic 18x6 prop on it and have to land with a little power else that big prop will slow it down too much. With that prop it's not a floater. But all in all I think you'll be pleased and the g23 should be just fine. By the way .. the Saito 150 is way more than this aircraft needs. A 120 would be fine.
Old 03-15-2002, 07:26 PM
boyd63
My Feedback: (1)

Default Hanger Nine Cub

Hello. I have the Hanger Nine Cub, powered by a Bennett G-23. I assembled it per instructions with the exception of painting over the existing covering, adding vinyl graphics, and then clearcoating it. Even with the added weight of a paint job and dual batteries. the plane looks and flys great. The functional wing struts add a lot of security for loops and rolls (aerobatics look very unnatural for this plane). The G-23 is more than enough power for this baby.
On one last note, at the Last Bomber Field Big Bird Fly In, a buddy and I were flying formation with a Yellow Aircraft P-47(mine) and an American Eagle Sea Fury(my buddy's). While roaring down the flight line a fellow pilot flying a H9 Cub, cut the pattern short. My buddy's Sea Fury Midair collided with the H9 Cub, cutting the wing tip off from the outside edge of the aileron to the wing tip. The Cub, having been hit a 100+mph, and missing a piece of wing, came in for a perfect landing. The owner of the Cub only having to replace a wing panel, was glad to get most of his plane back in semi working order. My buddy flying the Sea Fury, only had a little yellow paint on the leading edge of his wing.
Needless to say, the H9 Cub is, in my opinion a geat flying and reasonably sturdy plane. If you want to see a picture of my Cub, visit http://www.nomacnews.com and go to the Photo Page, then click on Damon Adams.

Thanks,
Old 03-15-2002, 09:09 PM
Hanger Rat

Default Hanger ( ARF

You sure have some nice fields down there.The warbird flyin at bomber field must be something else again. I like the J3 in marine colors. It looks good. I haven't started my kit yet but from the first casual look I think I will put another piece of 1/4 ply on top of the landing gear plate. Your friend was lucky with his mid air most of them end up as a bag of confetti. Thanks for your feedback, enjoy your flying on those great fields down there.
Ken
Old 03-15-2002, 09:32 PM
rightflyer

Did everyone mount their Saito 1.50 inverted? If so, did you have any problems?

Earl
Old 03-16-2002, 12:24 AM
DLT
My Feedback: (48)

Default Hanger 9 Cub

I have one and love it, I also have the Saito 150 in mine and yes they do run great inverted with absolutely no problems. They way it sounds and handles that plane is simply wonderful....to me if you are going to have a Cub , it needs the 4 stroke (just my opinion). I too run an 18x6 MA prop on it.....and just for kicks when no one is watching I will knife edge it and hang it on the prop.....I shouldn't have made that last statement....2 guy's dressed in suits will probably be knocking on my door tonight.
Old 03-25-2002, 05:36 PM
Cub_Boy
My Feedback: (6)

I also have this plane with a Saito 150, you can see a picture of it on page 9 this quarters issue of Horizons Catalog.

This is a very well built plane and it flys so scale... Unfortuntaly Horizon has discontinued this kit. They do not produce it any longer so if you need parts or you want a kit... but them ASAP where you can find them.

Rick,
Old 03-29-2002, 04:13 AM
wcd2424

I have one as well. Mine has the Magnum 160 twin in it. Gobs of power here. I installed the Robarts landing gear on mine. I don't think you have to beef anything up. It's a nice plane. I hate they discontinued it.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:59 PM
RHarding
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Hanger 9 100" J3 Cub ARF

What is the best way to clean the Hanger 9 100" Cub (fabric covering). Mine is as it came out the box. Not clear coated.

Richard
Old 04-02-2005, 05:41 PM
rightflyer

I clear coated mine before flying and it was easy to clean.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:51 PM
RHarding
My Feedback: (3)

Question on the Hanger 9 100" J3 Cub landing gear. The instructions refer to installing shock-absorbing landing gear wires but does not refer to any means of attaching the two wires to each other in order to create the shock-absorbing action. What did you use? Anyone else out there with suggestions please reply.

Richard