Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes 27% Edge 540 ARF Performance Series

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes 27% Edge 540 ARF Performance Series

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:47 PM
sevans16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes 27% Edge 540 ARF Performance Series

I did not find a thread on this plane so I guess I get to start one! I think they just snuck this baby out. I never heard of it till I was looking over the Tower site. My LHS was happy to order one in for me!!

I will start a build soon. I have too many going but this one looks awesome and I have an OS 300 twin I have been dieing to put in something!

Specs: 78"wingspan, 1088 sqin, 13-15lbs, 74.5" long, 160 2stroke or 43cc gas

It has a one pc wing that bolts on under the canopy/cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12501.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	996992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29538.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	996993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76114.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	996994  
Old 07-24-2008, 09:10 PM
rcflyer_2008

Default RE: Great Planes 27% Edge 540 ARF Performance Series

Sevans16, Glad you started this thread. I happened across the plane like you did on the Tower web site looking at Great Planes list. Have you started assembly? If so bring us up to date. If not started assembly what are your first impressions of the ARF? Does it provide for a 50cc rear carb engine mounting?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:57 PM
sevans16

My only impressions so far: One pc wing??, Narrow wing cord!

The motor box is like there other planes in this series. I have the Sukhoi I bought last year and put a DA-50 on it. I used the 3" Stand-offs and it was fine. The fuel tank does mount right behind the firewall. They provide a spacer assemble to push the tank back for the gas version. That is a new thing. The Edge calls for 6.75" from firewall to engine drive hub.

Here is a pic of my DA(3" Stand-offs) installed on the 27% GP Sukhoi during construction
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92122.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	997046  
Old 07-24-2008, 10:31 PM
krproton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Sevans.

I don't have much to add to this thread right now, except to say that I was able to get a damaged one of these from a recent shipment (turns out it was just box damage only). I'm focusing on my GP 27% Extra right now, but this Edge looks pretty sweet. I have a DL 50 on my Extra and it flies awesome with this engine. Maybe I'll see if I can find a used DL and get this bird flying yet this year. The Extra could be my IMAC plane and the Edge could be my sport/3D plane (though I don't really do much 3D yet).

Somebody mentioned something about the fuel tank being all the way up front. For my Extra, I made a new fuel tank mounting plate and mounted it as far back as it could go just ahead of the wing tube. Wonder if you could move the tank back on the Edge. Bet you can.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:41 PM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

Subscribed! Its finally here!
I,ve been waiting for the release of this plane since they announced the Yak.

Dave
Old 07-24-2008, 10:53 PM
sevans16

Hey nice to see you signed on Tim!! I have read so much of your info on the B-25. I have yet to take that project on but I do have all the components ready to roll.
I have been wanting on an Edge. I got a lanier but sent it back as it was in such sad shape. My Sukhoi is awesome. I have the 38% Extra waiting on a DA 170. I bought it when it came out along with a DA-150 but sent the DA 150 back when they annouced the 170 two weeks later.

I am almost certain the tank can be moved but then again there is a one pc wing running right under the canopy!! Might not be able to get it over the CG?? but it can surely be moved back to make room for a carb!! I was so hoping for a 2pc wing. Even one like GP put on the Cherokee would have been nice.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:17 PM
DLEVETT

I have to say I,m really disappointed that GP went with a 1 piece wing design.
The modelling community has come to accept that aerobatic planes for 1.20 size and up engines are easier to transport with a 2 piece wing.
I understand that a well designed one piece wing can be lighter, but the convenience and resulting ease of assembly with a 2 piece wing surpasses any slight weight advantage of the 1 piece wing imho.
It would appear to me based on the few images that we,ve seen thus far that this plane is a reworked/altered 78" H9 Edge 540 from a few years ago.
We all know these planes come from only a handful of Chinese factories. Plus this wouldn,t be the first time a plane was reworked and recovered by a different company.
The size, wing area and overall dimensions would appear to be somewhat similar, at least initially. To bad this plane isn,t in the same league as the 27% Extra 330.
I won,t give up but I,m going to watch this one closely before buying.
Its to bad though as I really have been waiting for a Edge 540 from GP that I assumed was going to be similar in build to the Yak.

Dave
Old 07-25-2008, 06:08 AM
krproton

Hi Sevans.

Yea, I've read many of your posts. I think you'll love the B-25. Maybe you can make it a winter "build." (ARF haters would cringe reading that!)

A 170 on the 38%? OMG!!! Hide the women and children. Be carefulguys that are flying the 38% with a 150 are thrilled!

Oh yea, the Edge, I'll take a look at mine today and see if there is a way to move the fuel tank back. Don't know why they went with a 1-piece wing.

Tim

Old 07-25-2008, 06:14 AM
krproton

Hey Dave,

I'm kinda sticking my nose in where where it may not belong because I didn't do any work on the Edge, but I do want to promise you this isn't a re packaged or re worked plane from another company. This plane has been in development for a very long time and has been tweaked several times along the way. And other than the one-piece wing, I am quite certain it will be similar to the Yak in construction. I'm not promising you will dislike or like this model, I can just tell you it's not based on any other model. [sm=49_49.gif]

As soon as they get the manual posted on the Tower Hobbies web site you will be able to view it there and that may answer some of your questions (should be soon I guess).

Old 07-25-2008, 12:16 PM
sevans16

The only reason for the 170 is for future planes! I always buy the best equipment and try and keep things simple. Planes are disposable but the servos and engines should last years!!
Old 07-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: DLEVETT

It would appear to me based on the few images that we,ve seen thus far that this plane is a reworked/altered 78" H9 Edge 540 from a few years ago.

Dave
This airplane is a reworked nothing! The design was made in Champaign by the Great Planes R&D team. The model was then built for Great Planes according to their design. However, it should be noted that many different models may share similar design details because they work. That's why you see similar construction in many, many different models. Heck, even houses built by different builders share the same kinds of building techniques. There are only so many ways you can do something.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:10 PM
DLEVETT

ORIGINAL: krproton

Hey Dave,

I'm kinda sticking my nose in where where it may not belong because I didn't do any work on the Edge, but I do want to promise you this isn't a re packaged or re worked plane from another company. This plane has been in development for a very long time and has been tweaked several times along the way. And other than the one-piece wing, I am quite certain it will be similar to the Yak in construction. I'm not promising you will dislike or like this model, I can just tell you it's not based on any other model. [sm=49_49.gif]

As soon as they get the manual posted on the Tower Hobbies web site you will be able to view it there and that may answer some of your questions (should be soon I guess).

Hey Tim, I appreciate the feedback , thanks for clarifying things.
As I mentioned in my first post, I,ve been watching GP for the release of the Edge 540 since the start of the Performance Series Planes being announced.
What you mentioned about the plane being under development for a long time may have a lot of significance. The more recent aircraft being produced in this size range by all of the manufacturers GP included are tending to come in at a 78"-80" wing with 1150-1280 wing area. This smaller narrow chord wing is typical of the previous generation of aerobatic ARF,s and as such tend to have a higher wing loading when using the now popular 40-46cc gas engines.
I,m waiting to see the manual, reports and more pics being posted before deciding on this one,
Its just a real shame as the Edge 540 wing can be made even larger than a comparable Extra,s wing due to the straight leading edge.
Anyhow thanks again.
Dave

p.s. Thanks Bill for giving us the actual info from GP.
I had a GP Extra 160 74" a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much. The issue for me is the one piece small chord wing. Who knows I may be pleasantly suprised with this latest
Performance Edition plane.
If I decide to get one, I may go with a large glow engine like the OS FS200P so that I maintain a good power to weight ratio.
I,d also like to add that the GP planes have by far the best looking planes in this category, they tend to look very scale.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:48 PM
krproton

Hey again Dave.

I know about wing area and wing loading and such, but I don't quite understand what you are saying. I don't see why the Edge wing can be made larger than an Extra's wing because of the Edge's straight LE. Huh.

One thing I would like to attempt to correct you on is the wing loading of the current generation ARF's compared to past. I can't speak for other manufacturers, but the new GP Performance Series planes are much lighter than those in the past, and therefore have favorable wing loadings even when using spark-ignition (gas) engines. Truly, they are single-minded, purpose - built airplanes for one thing and one thing only - flying. They are not panzer tanks that will take all kinds of abuse like a Super Sportster or a Stik that you can cartwheel on landing, put on a new prop and keep going. [sm=bananahead.gif]

Anyway, yea, just wait and see what you can find out about this bird from other reports, then you'll be in a better position to decide.

Well, thanks for your compliments and check this thread to see what the other guys are saying about theirs.

(Reminder; I don't want to steel anybody's thunder, take any credit or pose as somebody who had anything to do with this project. I'm just an interested insider.)
Old 07-25-2008, 10:22 PM
DLEVETT

Thanks Tim. My reasoning behind the Edge having a slightly larger wing when compared to an Extra wing is I scratch built a couple of planes 2 years ago.
One Edge and one Extra they had the same root chord and wing panel length. When I compared a set of wings by lying one down on top of the other, I realized that the Edge wing was bigger in overall surface area only because of the lack of a leading edge taper. The trailing edge of both wings and the root was lined up but the leading edge was reduced in size.
I will stay tuned for more info, and hope that I,m pleasantly suprised with what transpires.
I think I pied Bill off and am sorry for doing so. I probably shouldn,t have made that comment about reworked planes here on a new thread for a new plane.
How about some more pics sevans16, I,d love to see some details.
thx
Dave
Old 07-25-2008, 10:42 PM
sevans16

What pics would you like to see? I promised myself to finish up a couple of little electrics( Electrifly 41" Extra, Reactor Bibe) been half done for months. But I intend to get started on this plane over the weekend. I know my Sukhoi is a real beast with the DA-50. I have a Fuji 43, OS FS200-P and the 300 twin. I am not sure which one to use but I really want to play with the 300 and want a plane that can handle the weight and swallow the engine in the cowl. My current plan is the 200-P in a GP Chipmunk and the 43 in a Giant Aeromaster. Though I may sell off the GP GA??

Well, I was certain the Edge had nothing do to with a H9 product but thought maybe GP reworked a Lanier product or something? Thanks for clearing that all up, BAX!!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:59 AM
DLEVETT

[quote]ORIGINAL: sevans16

What pics would you like to see?

Hi sevan16,
No rush on the pics, I know what its like to have to finish a plane thats just taking forever.
However when you do start the Edge I,d really like to see how the wings connect, and what the interior of the fuse looks like.
As krproton mentioned though, as soon as GP has the manual ready to download we will be able to see its construction method at that time.

thx
Dave