Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Fuel Ratios

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Fuel Ratios

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:23 AM
FlyerRick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Ratios

Do any of you know the fuel mix ratios for Morgan Fuel's CoolPower blends?

Example: CoolPower 20% Heli (Pink) is 20% Nitromethane 20% Synthetic Lubricant and ??? What is the fuels other 60%?

I’m reading an article that says the other 60% is Methanol, Methyl alcohol? What is your take on this? I went to Morgan’s website and they tell you about the 20% this and 20% that but they didn’t say what the other 60% was that makes up the 100% product??? [sm=confused_smile.gif]
Old 08-03-2008, 06:44 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Ratios

Alcohol
Old 08-03-2008, 08:17 AM
FlyerRick

Thanks for your reply Andy. Now is that for all CoolPower Blends or fuel blends in general? I know in the lubricant end of things some manufactures use Castor and some use Synthetics?

Example: CoolPower 20% Heli (Pink) is 20% Nitro, 20% Lubricant (Synthetic) (Ultra-High Viscosity)
, and 60% Alcohol...is that right?

With this in mind... how about the CoolPower Pro-Pattern 20% blend? Which is also 20% Nitro, 20% Lubricant (Ultra-High Viscosity)? Is the rest of that blend Alcohol also. I had herd before that the remainder of the fuel percentage (60%) was Methanol or Methyl alcohol???

I appreciate you help here Andy. I have been all over the forums looking for an answer to these questions but no one can give me an absolute answer that...yes this is how blends break down in percentages.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:47 AM
carrellh

The required ingredients in glow fuel are alcohol and oil.
Nitromethane is optional but we like it and the USA market for zero nitro fuel is fairly small.

So, in theory, everything that is not oil or nitro is alcohol.

Every commercial fuel maker has various additives they use to make their brand unique. Those additives would replace some of the alcohol. I have no idea what the percentage is, but it is probably very small. A few drops of dye, etc. The only way to get an absolute answer is to talk to someone at the fuel company who knows. Of course they will not tell you because that is trade secret, competitive advantage, information.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:36 AM
FlyerRick

Thanks guys...I guess in the long run what I was trying to find out (because of some availability issues in my area) was the difference between the CoolPower 20% Heli Blend and the 20% ProPattern Blend other than what their calling the blend (Heli or 4-Stroke). On the Morgan Fuels website if you look at the CoolPower "Blends" tab you will see 20% Heli and the 20% ProPattern are the same as far as the percentages of Nitro & Lubricant are concerned. I again was told that the Heli oil content was a full synthetic blend and the ProPattern was a synthetic/castor blend?

Now as how this applies to me...I have been using the 20% Heli Blend (Pink) in all my glow engines for my planes for quite awhile. But as of late, Its becoming harder and harder to find. The 20% ProPattern blend on the other hand is in abundance all over and a bit cheaper too? Can I run the 20% ProPattern blend with out hurting a couple of "heat-sensitive" engines that I have on a couple of my planes?

Sorry for my writing here…I know what I want to ask and to try to get across but somewhere between my brain and the keyboard things can get a bit loose. [sm=confused_smile.gif]
Old 08-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I use CP 20/20 Pro Pattern and I researched it all a year ago. Pro Pattern 20/20 is 20% nitro - 20% synthetic oil. My OS & YS engines work better on this fuel than any other I HAVE TRIED.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:46 PM
FlyerRick

Don, carrellh...Thanks both of you and I'm going to use the CP 20/20 ProPattern as that I really can't see how I can go wrong with it. I can buy the ProPattern for $15.95 a gal as opposed to $24.95 a gal that they want for the Heli (when you can find it)
Old 08-06-2008, 03:02 AM
mikenlapaz

Aerozona
you can always add an oz. or two of Klotz's Benol to a gal and know you have some castor protection for that 'lean run'