Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

NitroPlanes 69" YAK 54 - anyone built one ?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

NitroPlanes 69" YAK 54 - anyone built one ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:59 PM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NitroPlanes 69

THat seems like something off with stabs or wings.........

One thing I NOTICED on MINE!!>>....................

The WIngtube DOES NOT sit strait in the fuse!....

The WINGS DO NOT join up FLUSH on BOTH SIDES OF THE PLANE.....

I sanded the wingtube holder to make it even and level so the wings would join up flush and strait...

I may make a incedence check before it tighten everything up, before I go out....
Old 07-27-2009, 11:16 PM
octanehuffer

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Had another few flights on the plane today, and boy am I getting to like this thing! Very, very straight through maneuvers. With the nose weight gone, the rudder has gotten much more sensitive and low rates is even too much for precision flying.

I had one of our 'pro's' give her a whirl, and between the two of us we realized it pitches canopy when doing a left KE and pitches belly when doing a right KE. Since this was basically an unexpected habit it threw me (and him) off guard. Not that the plane pitches a lot, but it's just in opposite directions. Will seek help on that one from the IMAC forum.

I'm very happy with the plane. Went from wanting to ditch it to wanting to bring it to pattern contests
Sounds like you are on the right track. Glad to hear. Once you figure out the rest of the plane and it flies straight, you WILL win pattern contests with it. I just flew mine for the first time since early last year. I forgot how much fun it was, until I looked at the empty jug of 30% that was new that morning.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Thanks Octane. This plane makes my Venus feel like a turd with a long tail.

Koch, I have a little 'wiggle room' at my wing roots, too. Makes a bit of noise when the engine is not perfectly tuned, but doesn't seem to be a problem structurally. The aft part of the wing root has a small space between it and the fuse. I thought about making some kind of add on to tighten it in, but there's not much meat to play with on the wing root. However the forces acting on the wing aren't necessarily in the right direction to make it a problem, at least that was my logic when I discovered it.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Jetdesign

...because it really is a pretty plane...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92076.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1245042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51780.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	1245043  
Old 07-28-2009, 04:15 PM
gofst2

Well I don't like you guys, you made me spend money buying this plane-. The one I really dislike is UPS and here is why. I ordered the Yak-54 from NP on 7/11 while they had an extra 10% off Fourth of July sale. UPS showed up at my door on 7/17 with a nice big box-oh joy! I took my new "toy" inside and set it aside till my work around the house was done and dinner was out of the way. Later that night it was time to look at my new prize. As I laid down the box and starting to open it I noticed a hole in one side. Now having shipped and received many items in the past I decided to photo the box before opening it. After a few shots I looked inside the hole and did not see any problems. As I continued to open the outer box here came the inner box of white cardboard. When removing the lid there before me was a fantastic looking Yak wing set, rudder, manual and stickers! After the joy of holding the wings and checking over the quality it was time to move deeper inside. Under more cardboard there lay the fuse, a separate box with the cowl and wheel pants and misc. hardware tapped to the bottom. When I removed the fuse I then saw the horror. A new fuse and canopy both with damage. Should I fix it I said? No I don't think so. Well after a few calls UPS picked up the plane and it just arrived at NP today. Guess I will have to wait another week before I can start my project but in the mean time I will keep reading what you guys have posted about this plane and keep emptying my can of drool!

Name:	Sq46475.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1245328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34827.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1245329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21544.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1245330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80065.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1245331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17748.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1245332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86941.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1245333  
Old 07-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Jetdesign

I believe what you have is a different (bigger?) plane. There was a thread or two about it. Did you buy it as a 69" or 72"? Either way you will have a sweet new plane when the time comes.

Did you get the power plant yet??

Edit: Yes, you got the 72" plane. They are still using all the same pics from the 69" but it is out of production. You can see some slight differences in yours.

I sure as heck would not mind having a slightly larger plane !
Old 07-28-2009, 08:33 PM
gofst2

When it was here I did have a chance to check the size and it is the 72" bird, not the one in the adds on NP site. The bad thing is the hardware that comes with the 72" sucks! It's all plastic. No double control horns to mount in the surface controls, no large fiber servo mounting horns to add to your servo horns, plastic clevises, plastic control horns and the landing gear is a gray aluminum that weighs a ton. The fuel tank is round rather then the one in the add, wing and stab tube are aluminum with 2 piece stab. In weighing all the parts the plane comes in at 3600 grams for air frame only. I took everything out of the box and weighed each part, though still in the plastic protection bags, I don't think this plane will come in under 10lbs. I have a JBA 1.40 two stroke planed to go into it because of the extra size and weight. One good thing, the canopy is tinted! Oh yeah, another good thing is NP just sent me a tracking number for the replacement plane that shipped out tonight!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:04 PM
kochj

Don't get bent about the hard ware!..... I replaced many things hear and there...but I can
start to add up things and it get pricey...quicklyl...

I do like my TI-links tha I picked up from a t-max....Perfect length...for elevator
and Ti-links that were for a duratrax 1/10th electric....for ailerons....
It is amazing how lightweight and stong this stuff is.....

I have many many spare parts from ther planes that could be transferred over (CF landing gear ect)
if this one didn't have the resin fiberglass gear....

I wonder what happened to the manfacturing of this plane??? My guess....
Due to QQ going out of bussiness, so did the manufacturing plant of his planes.......
Not that the plant stopped altogether, just his planes... and hence this one...
I know that Seb-art/Krill has his planes made in same area.....Very nice stuff....

Also..... IF you want to get rid of the gear, make a mold out of alumimum, bend to shape, and
start laying up the fiberglass-to make your own....
Very easy to do, and turns out very strong and fairly lightweight....

Let me know how your plane turns out.....Post pics and results...
Old 07-28-2009, 11:28 PM
kochj

I just wanted to post some pics as well....

I like mine more w/o the checkers...
added some pinstripe separation as well....

Spacing between prop and cowl....wow..that is lots!!!....

The canopy is the messed up one...I have a new QQ original ready to
go once I am confortable with this plane.....(do not want 2-broken up canopies)

the Garage is a mess.....Can you belive that almost ALL those
BIG BROWN boxes are Giant scale aircrafts that have yet to be Assembled???

Yes I have a Sickness......Too many ...

Name:	Yw67175.jpg
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1245559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83569.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1245560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51062.jpg
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1245561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32774.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	1245562  
Old 07-31-2009, 12:06 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been working on assembly of my 69" Yak very slowly, and I finally just installed the aileron, elev, and rudder servos and linkages. I used all the stock hardware. Some folks were right about the little rigging couplers being too thin to screw into the ball links for the pull-pull rudder setup. I found that a Dubro threaded coupler (2-56 size) can be used in between those stock items as shown in my pics attached. The stock rigging coupler (silver) can go right into the open end of the brass Dubro coupler (secure it with solder) and the 2-56 threads of the Dubro coupler are larger and fit snug into the stock ball link. The third pic shows how I had to space the twin stock control horns closer together to fit the small stock ball links for the pull-pull rudder setup. These ball links are smaller than the other stock ball links used for the elev and ailerons. If this has all been said before, excuse me for missing it. Hope this helps someone trailing behind me in assembly of the 69" version. Jon

Old 08-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Jetdesign

Does anyone have ideas for replacement landing gear? Mine is shot.

Jon, very nice job on the assembly. For the hardware, whatever works!

Koch, I like the pinstripes. Will you do the stab too? Good luck with the pipe, let us know how it goes. I've been flying mine with the 120AX. It works well, but I really got spoiled by the YS. Too bad it burned out and is now in the shop!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:28 PM
littlewing78
My Feedback: (5)

I have been looking at this plane for a bit. I have a Saito 150 that would go nice in it. Think thats too big? I am at 5000 feet here so I generally have to put a larger engine in. Any thoughts about that?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: littlewing78

I have been looking at this plane for a bit. I have a Saito 150 that would go nice in it. Think thats too big? I am at 5000 feet here so I generally have to put a larger engine in. Any thoughts about that?
I don't think it's too big. First off, a new plane would be the 72" plane so you wouldn't be upsetting the CG by nearly as much. Second, use a NIMH receiver battery and move it back to offset the balance issue. Third, I have no problem using all the power of either my 120AX or my 110FZ in the 69" model, therefore I feel like a 1.50 would not be grossly over powered. Last, I did something wrong with balancing my plane and had an additional 6oz of lead on the nose, and it still flew great considering how out of trim and balance it was (actually dealt with the wind much, much better) so you will not really feel the effects of the higher engine weight.

If I were buying the 72" model, I probably would go with either the Saito 1.50 or the YS 1.40 (ok I would go with the YS, but would think a lot (ok a little) about the Saito)
Old 08-07-2009, 10:05 PM
littlewing78

I have read tons of good things about the 69 inch version. How does the 72 inch compare?
Old 08-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Jetdesign

This plane (69") is absolutely phenomenal, and it certainly is giving me lots of room to grow.

Very happy.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:54 PM
kochj

not sure what was changed on the 72"..??
If it is jut the wings (added length) then there shouldn't be any issies (as long as they didn't add whole-lota weight to them)
Or change the airfoil shape...

I still havn't flown mine yet....I know this much.....

NO 2-stroke will be equall for 3-D flying... Although I have not flown with this pipe/engine combo
(it seems like a beast) the 4-strokes have such instant responce...
I will let you all know....
I have heard that the OS 1.02 was a AWSOME engine that was overly square, and
had very good low end thump....
But all the new os AX models do not compare....They run great, but they are missing there low
end balls....
Old 08-15-2009, 08:57 PM
kochj

Gear....

QQ69 would work great....

Funtana 100X (stock gear) and Graphtech gear....
If you go that route, you would need to fill in the indentation in the bottom (the gear is wider)
and use longer bolts....
I know this because I have the gear!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 12:54 AM
Jetdesign

The 72" is a different plane.

Two stroke works fine in the plane, just requires you to cover a little more distance with the throttle stick.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:21 AM
maukaonyx

I'm getting closer to completion. Got the engine (OS 120 Surpass III) installed and decided to not use the stock muffler since so much will hang out of the cowl. Ordered the SLimline Pitts style for the plane. Before I put the cowl on and start cutting away for the engine, I am wondering how you guys faired with the stock engine thrust that is built into the firewall? I read where GaRCfield lessened the right thrust. Is he the only one to do so? And did anyone add downthrust (how much if so) since the up and down thrust looks perfectly zero to the wing and stab to me. BTW so far my plane seems to be balancing at the wing tube (I think the recommended CG falls thereabouts) and I don't have the cowl, spinner, and muffler on yet. My battery is all the way forward behind the firewall, and can easily be moved rearward to achieve the balance I need when those parts are added. Jon
Old 08-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Rocketman_

I have made no changes to the eigine thrust line and so far have made no other attempts to redesign the plane.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:35 AM
Jetdesign

For the thrust line: I say fly the plane as-is, and see what happens. I think my plane might have a quirk in it somewhere. I had issues with the balance point and both right thrust and down thrust.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:34 AM
maukaonyx

Well, sounds like I will mount the cowl with the engine in the stock position since there is no overwhelming opinion on side or down thrust. I just like to get it as close as possible so that the cowl can be mounted with the spinner or prop nut centered. Hopefully the engine thrustline will need zero adjustment. Thanks guys. Jon
Old 08-23-2009, 11:15 AM
littlewing78

You could always wait to mount the cowl. Fly it a few times first to see what adjustments are needed. Then mount the cowl.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:13 PM
maukaonyx

Just posting a few pics of how my Yak 69" looks right now without the cowl. I painted the inside of the canopy silver today, with RC car paint that is meant to flex. Photos show how I am covering up the gaping holes around the engine mount box. I don't want all that glow fuel and exhaust blowing and leaking through my fuselage. The natural wood panels are glued on, the white ones are screwed on for maintaining access to the fuel tank and throttle servo. The panels are light ply scrraps that I had laying around. Black zip tie is holding the battery in place, but I figure that will be moving rearward when I get the spinner, Pitts muffler, and cowl attached. Lastly, the cowl mount "blocks" have been built up with extra ply and shaped to match the cowl...dunno about yours but those attachment points were all about 1/16" too low on my fuselage, which would make the cowl dimple or depress where the screws pinch down. Jon

Old 08-26-2009, 01:11 PM
maukaonyx

Basically my Yak is finished! Just a few minor things to do that would not prevent flying it. Here are a few more pics. Got the Slimline Pitts muffler on Monday and installed it, then did the cowl work to fit the engine, muffler, needle valve, and mixture screw. You might notice the different wheel pants...they are from the GP Super Skybolt ARF. I like them better than the stock ones that seemed tiny. AUW seems to be around 9.0-9.2 pounds. CG is about halfway in the recommended range in the manual. I have to check throws vs the manual recommendations. Right now, I have lots like that pic that Rocketman posted, I think. I also have lots of exponential dialed in to soften the centers of the sticks. Should be doing a maiden soon, all things willing. Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.