Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Old 03-17-2009, 04:00 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

You all with the advice, well its priceless! I will be using it in the building of my Escapade, thanks again! Bob
Old 03-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ptux, you state "There is pretty much no way I'll be able to recover it". Makes me think of a predicament I once was in when I lost a hand launch glider that I thought was surely gone. What happened was that it landed on a small island in the middle of a pond and there was no way I could wade out over to it. I did have a strong fishing rod and was able to cast over and snag it, then pull it back. It's nutty, but I got it back. Even if the canopy sunk in that marsh, any chance a well placed treble hook with a good weight might get out to it and a possible recovery? I'd give it a try. I was surprised when I got my glider back. I didn't do it on the first try, but I didn't have anything to lose except maybe some line.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:09 PM
ptuxbury

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the encouragement. I had already decided that I would go try to retrieve the canopy tomorrow. It's not really a swamp as much as a grassy marsh, so who knows, maybe it landed on one of the grassy areas and I'll be able to get it. I'm going to bring some waders with me and give it a shot. The only problem is that it was pretty much as far away from me as it could have been before it fell off, so it's going to be quite a trudge to get out there. Also, the canopy is not that big, so I'm hoping it landed pilot up so I have a better chance at seeing it. Here's hoping I don't get stuck out there.

I've got to give it a try tomorrow though, because it's supposed to rain Thursday, and I don't think I'll have a chance after that.

If I can't find it, then it will just be a challenge for me to fabricate a temporary canopy until Tower gets them in stock. I also wonder if any of the other planes have a similar canopy that might fit it well enough.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:50 PM
McChiken

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't think I would chance it . I'm Chiken . Could be sink holes out there . Just buy another plane . You will have a spare everything . I had the same thing happen to me but with a motorcyle . I bought a brand new Honda XR200 when I was 16 . The throttle cable broke and it was a new design for dual carbs . Had to wait 6 months for one from Japan . What are manufacturers thinking .
Old 03-17-2009, 11:43 PM
A6Ordie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Try contacting Great Planes directly? Guys earlier in the thread talked about them getting some parts sent to them from GP. You might call Tower as well, they might have the part and the website is wrong. You might PM some of the guys that posted in this thread of crashes. Maybe they aren't checking this thread regularly.

Just some thoughts, Good Luck
Old 03-18-2009, 07:52 AM
ptuxbury

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I take my words back about "pretty much no way I'll be able to recover it".

After tromping around the wetlands for about 45 minutes this morning (and just before I was about to give up), I found my canopy face down floating in the water. Hooray! That was pretty much the worst way it could have fallen for visibility given that the grasses and reeds are almost the same color as the ply wood, but I got lucky and just happened to stumble across it. The water wasn't as bad as I thought - a little over a foot deep at the worst, but I could feel the cold through my waders. It also helped that temperatures dropped below freezing overnight. The patches of grass and reeds were pretty much frozen so I could walk across them for the most part.

The plastic on the canopy is cracked pretty badly near the back, but I think I can fix it. I'm just happy to have something I can use for the next couple of months.

A6Ordie, I had already done as you had suggested yesterday. I sent an email to Great Planes asking for help. I guess I don't need it so much now, but I'll still wait to see what they say.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89521.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	1160359  
Old 03-18-2009, 10:01 AM
eric_f

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nice! I wondered what would have happened to mine b/c I mounted a voltwatch thingy inside. It wouldn't be a good day if it took the receiver with it :S
Old 03-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad you found it ptux. He spent a lonely night out in the marsh. A couple of well placed screws might solve the ejection seat syndrome.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

eric f, I'm going to put a VoltWatch in mine also. I'm planning on cutting a slot right behind the Pilot and have the VoltWatch mount below and to the main fuselage. That way if the canopy goes, at least the VoltWatch stays with the Rx.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:49 AM
hairy46

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad you found the canopy! Makes me glad where I fly most I dont have to worry about parts being lost in water! we are a bit to close to town and have to worry about putting one down in a sub division or trailer park. though! We have a good sized area but you got to keep the battery's charged. good luck with your next flight! I am sure they will have parts in stock soon for all of us that now own the Escapade, wow what a great plane! Bob
Old 03-18-2009, 02:25 PM
ptuxbury

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys. My friend's video didn't come out very well, but I'll have some short clips that I'll post on YouTube tonight.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:54 PM
e30pq

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I forgot to report that I used some masking tape to hold down my canopy as a safety precaution for my first flight.

I noticed that when I flipped the plane over in the cradle to install the wing I loosend the canopy.

You should probably watch that.

I will end up using a couple of small screws as a cleaner solution.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:15 AM
garthk
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm really considering one of these for an engine that needs a home. It's a Fitzpatrick .61 I bought new about 15 years ago, (because it was a good deal). Due to the mirror polish and unique look of this engine, I really like the upright mounting. I'm an experienced pilot and have flown most types of planes that you can hang a prop on. It looks like this escapade is the perfect kick around airplane while being able to show off my Fitz. I know uglysticks fly good but they are kind of...ugly, so I think a sportster/4star/sport bipe type plane is more up my alley. Hmm, didn't there used to be a sportster bipe from GP? Slightly concerned about the plane disassembling in flight and destroying my work of art engine though. I'd like to be able to throw the sticks around without worrying about such things. Any other planes in this size range that I might consider? I don't mind buying this one and reinforcing it if it flies good, just wondering about other options. There is so much more out there that I can't keep up with it anymore.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:28 AM
landeck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: garthk

I'm really considering one of these for an engine that needs a home. It's a Fitzpatrick .61 I bought new about 15 years ago, (because it was a good deal). Due to the mirror polish and unique look of this engine, I really like the upright mounting. I'm an experienced pilot and have flown most types of planes that you can hang a prop on. It looks like this escapade is the perfect kick around airplane while being able to show off my Fitz. I know uglysticks fly good but they are kind of...ugly, so I think a sportster/4star/sport bipe type plane is more up my alley. Hmm, didn't there used to be a sportster bipe from GP? Slightly concerned about the plane disassembling in flight and destroying my work of art engine though. I'd like to be able to throw the sticks around without worrying about such things. Any other planes in this size range that I might consider? I don't mind buying this one and reinforcing it if it flies good, just wondering about other options. There is so much more out there that I can't keep up with it anymore.
I have an Escapade and it is a great plane but a little small for a Fitzpatrick .61. I also have a H9 Pulse XT 60 which would be perfect to show off that engine. It is also a great building and flying plane.

Bruce
Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 AM
garthk
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the tip, the pulse looks like a good candidate. What size motor is on your escapade landeck? I just figured the 61 was so close to the 55AX everyone is using it wouldn't make a difference. I see you're in sandy springs, where do you fly? A buddy of mine lives up in duluth and is just getting into the hobby, and its a little far for him to come down here all the time.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:30 AM
bonebreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree, a .61 size engine is too much for this plane. I have a .46 on it, and it's almost too much. I actually went to a 12x5 instead of the 11x6 prop to slow it down a little, and give it a little better vertical.

You could get away with puting the .61 on there, but I don't think you would use the engine to its full potential very often.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:25 PM
landeck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Magnum XLS .46 in the Escapade and an OS 61 FX in the Pulse XT 60. Both provide plenty of power.

Bruce

Edit: I fly with the GMA in north west Forsyth County. It is about a 45 minute drive from Sandy Springs.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:04 PM
bonebreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to secure the hatch in a way that looks good. I tried a little velcro on the back of the hatch, and almost couldn't get it off once it was stuck (glad I used a small piece). I have though about putting in some screws, but wanted to get others input before I did this. I really like how easy it is to get the hatch off, and dont want to make it anymore difficult if I dont have to. I may just stick to using a piece of tape before I take her up.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:56 PM
eric_f

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

stock method hasn't failed me yet just make sure it's 'locked in' and seated fully aft before you take er up.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is there any real good reason to remove it while at the field? I was thinking maybe with the wing off, from below, there might be a good way to just put a couple of screws into it to secure it semi-permanently. At the front edge in front of the pilot figure, from below?

Oh, and I took my Sullivan Tail Wheel Bracket back, they were out of the next size up. Had to order it. They love to see me coming.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:48 PM
bonebreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There isn't really a "need" to take off the canopy, but it's the only plane I have had that makes it so easy to do so. All of my other planes require taking the wing off or unscrewing 4 screws. I guess it is just so I can if I want to.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would think a couple of screws at the front that would keep it from sliding forward might do the trick. If you don't mind looking at the screws. Howard Hughes would hate it. Just make sure you put some hardwood that the screws can screw into. Otherwise, vinyl tape like electricians tape might be all that is needed. You can get different colors like white and red at Ace Hardware. The vinyl tape can easily be replaced.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:59 PM
McChiken

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Check this out for a Latch . I have heard of this being used on 3d electrics cause the magnets aren't strong enough along with the amount of air going through to cool the electronics . I just have been using Blenderm tape . But it pulls the monokote up too .

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4892
Old 03-20-2009, 10:56 AM
bonebreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought about a hatch cover, but don't really know how they work. By the looks of the picture, the little metal rod would go into a hole in the back of the canopy, and keep it from pulling "up". On the escapade, I need it to keep it from sliding forward. I think the rod may be long enough that even if the canopy slid all the way forward, it would still not let it lift up. For $0.95 I may have to pick on up and see what I can figure out.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:04 PM
e30pq

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used one servo screw at the back of the canopy on the side of the plane (the back corner of the canopy).

In general servo screws are small so it doesn't look bad and I don't have to worry about my canopy coming off in flight.

I used tape for my first couple of flights because I was having difficulty getting a positive fit of my canopy on the fuse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.