Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

I would think a couple of screws appropriately placed front or back would be enough. KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid. The simpler, the better. It's worth just sitting there and thinking about it and keeping the solution simple.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:21 PM
bonebreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The simplest would be to keep using tape. I will be picking up a canopy latch tomorrow and seeing if that will work. If it does, I think it would be the cleanest solution, and would make so I don't have to use any tools to get the canopy off.

I am having a hell of a time getting my engine to run right. I was having some issues when I maidened it, but it muscled through. It just seems to run rough, and I can't seem to figure out what is wrong. I really want to get this fixed before I fly again. On my first flight, the engine almost died as soon as I lifted off, but had no issues after that (figured it was a little rich). The second flight, I leaned it down, but maybe too much as it seemed to bog a little after a couple minutes. I ran it again this morning to try and figure out what the deal is, and I am still not satisfied. This engine has given me NO problems until I now, and has been in my Nexstar, and my Cessna 182 with approx 70 flights between the two. I will play with it more tomorrow I guess.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Tom Nied

You check the plug?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:37 PM
bonebreak

Yes, I changed the plug out. I tried the pinch test, and it seems that no matter how lean/rich I set it, it would never pick up RPM's like it is supposed too when it's set properly. I could get it to decrease and stay the same, but not increase in RPM.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Tom Nied

Well lets see, you're running an OS .46FX with an 11x6, that should be an optimum match. Did anything change, like the fuel? The FX wasn't around too long before they replaced it with the AX. I got a 46 FX in a trade but haven't run it yet, saving it for a future project. I did note that there were some issues with the carb, but it shouldn't be anything that can be dealt with. You might try a hotter plug if you're running the OS 8. You try an A3? The only other thing might be crud, you try backflushing the carb? Is the low end too rich? Also you might try checking bolts and making sure there is no pressure leak. Something is weird for sure. Sometimes I'll pull an engine and run it on the test stand to see how it does. Just putting some ideas out there that might help. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:07 PM
eric_f

well, everything else being non-adjustable, soak the carb and needle assembly (taken apart) in some glow fuel overnight and reset to factory settings. Make sure the o rings are still serviceable and the needle isn't bent/stubbed/etc. Some are fragile if they've been tightened in too much; they also can gum up quite easily, esp with castor. The O.S. remote needle valves have kinda been a pain for me From there I'd adjust until you hit the sweet spot.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:32 PM
e30pq
My Feedback: (1)

I flew again this morning. It was my 4th day of flying the plane. The plane still flies great.

After a few flights today I noticed that my tail surfaces had loosened slightly.

Just a reminder to everyone to check your tail assembly (tighten the 2 nuts) after a few flights. It's common sense but I almost missed it.

I ended up giving them at least a full turn each (maybe a little more) to re-tighten the assembly.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:37 PM
alex_scratch_built

Hi, I just got one of these nice little planes and I thought I'd put a .51super tiger in it.
What I was wondering is why many people say you need to slow this plane down?

Is it because of the flutter issues or could the wings tear off?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2009, 03:34 PM
bonebreak

The plane doesn't need to be a rocket. It flies very well with the suggested engine sizes. It is a fairly small/light plane, and can get from one end of the feild to the other very quickly, even with the smallest recommended engine. You can put a larger one in it, but I don't think you will use the engine to it's full capacity very often, if at all. Save the bigger engine for a plane that needs it, or may benefit from it. This isn't that plane. You "could" run the risk of tearing wings off, or flutter at high speeds also. Remember that this is a second plane at best, and is really built to fly as such IMO.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:56 PM
hairy46

I really think these guys are right with the carb being the problem but do check and make sure you are not getting a little air in the tank being how you had no problems with the other planes! How long did the motor sit around before you used it again if its been awhile could have gummed up the carb!
Old 03-21-2009, 04:03 PM
bonebreak

It has only sat for a couple weeks. I flew it in the Cessna, and it went into the Escapade that same week, and flew a cweek or so later. The one difference is the fuel tank. I plan on taking it out and checking for leaks. I don't really like how the fuel lines go through the firewall, and may open the three holes up to make one big hole instead. I'm afraid one of the lines may have torn when I pulled them through the firewall. We'll see.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:13 PM
hairy46

Good luck with that! I had a problem with a tank once that kind of sounded like the trouble you are having! check the tank for small leaks no resticktions in the line! even change the fuel line you can bench it with a diffrent tank and see how it runs there! and if that does not fix it for sure you will know its in the carb! The carb being the problem makes allot of sence too!
Old 03-21-2009, 06:01 PM
bonebreak

Well, I just pulled the tank, and sure enough, there was a leak around the neck. I tightened the stopper down, and it fixed it, but I changed the tank out anyways just in case. I test ran it afterwords, and I am back in business. That thing is running better than I remember even, and the sweet spot took all of 30 seconds to dial in. I sure am glad it was an easy fix! I can't wait to fly it again now!
Old 03-21-2009, 06:33 PM
hairy46

Well good! I thought it sound like a problem I had a while back ago, Well keep us posted on how the plane is doing! the closer I get to getting mine done the more excited I get! Bob
Old 03-22-2009, 06:53 AM
ptuxbury

Okay, well I said I'd post some video on Youtube, and I did. It is rather unimpressive video of my take-off and some fly-bys.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OT8BPfp5dg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OT8BPfp5dg[/link]
Old 03-22-2009, 09:35 AM
bonebreak

I noticed that you have a deflector on your muffler. Does it keep the goo off the plane any better than not having one? My muffler flings goo all over the side of my plane/wing, and I thought about getting a deflector, but don't want to waste my money if it wont help.

Nice flying by the way.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Tom Nied

Hey, that's neat. And you didn't put any goofy background music. I like hearing the original engine sounds.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:26 AM
hairy46

I use deflectors because they do keep some off the spent fuel off the plane, Clean up is about half!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:38 AM
eric_f

Exhaust deflector worked well for me, only have to clean the last 1/3 of the fuse and tail.

I used these, but mine are green. Nice 'n' Cheap (I think the colored ones are discontinued now.)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRHS9&P=7

~Eric
Old 03-22-2009, 10:47 AM
hairy46

Thank you for the video, Great job!
Old 03-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Tom Nied

I've been using the Hobbico exhaust deflector http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXL378&P=ML on a different plane, but would have to agree, I still end up with a lot of castor goo on my plane. I add castor to my fuel, so I almost expect it. I should probably try different angles of the muffler/deflector. One thing that happened recently was that I noticed the deflector was pointing a different direction than I had set it. What had happened was that the muffler thru bolt had loosened and it turned. It was a good indicator to me that rear half of the muffler might have been lost on the next flight. But there was another indicator, when you have a loose bolt on an engine, you get this black questionable oil on your plane. A possible serious condition, but it was only a loose muffler bolt. I've been using deflectors for quite a few years and not sure if they are really effective. They seem to help quiet the engine a little, but I've also been told they tend to reduce power by a small amount. One last thing, beside the plastic wire tie to secure them, I always put a drop of CA at the deflector/muffler connection for added security. Haven't lost one yet.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:41 PM
hairy46

I do notice the deflector when I use them save me clean up on planes that I started out without one and later added it, They seem to me to be worth the price! I do not seem to use as many paper towls up using them. Have not lost one but a drop of ca sounds like a great idea! Bob
Old 03-22-2009, 09:18 PM
ptuxbury

I used JB Weld to put a little lip around the end of the muffler exhaust port (kind of what the stock OS 55AX muffler looks like). That way in order for the exhaust extension to fall off the plane it would have to work its way up over that ridge (which it can't do with the cable tie holding it on).
Old 03-22-2009, 09:55 PM
hairy46

Yes JB weld would for sure hold! I used it to fix a cracked block on a Oldsmobil once! more great advice! Bob
Old 03-22-2009, 10:06 PM
nmking09
My Feedback: (61)

Methanol disolves JB !!!!

Especially at high temp!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.