ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Old 01-01-2009, 06:58 PM
skew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Mine came in on the 29th. I just started building today. I am very impressed with the quality of this arf. The covering job is perfect not a single wrinkle or blemish anywhere and it is very complete with hardware. If it fly's anywhere as good as it looks it will be my sidekick every Sunday.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:49 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Landeck, when you get yours, how about checking the underside of the wing halves. The picture on the box shows two stripes on the underside of each wing half. Mine has one solid white wing bottom half and the other has the two stripes (red and orange I think). Might be by design, and not a deal breaker by any means, but I was just curious.
The Escapade just arrived and like yours has the underside of one wing all white and the other white with two stripes. That is fine by me. The plane looks very well done - the monocote is tight everywhere and the parts all look fine except for the cabin/cockpit. Mine leaves a gap at the back and the magnets do not latch with the metal inserts. I am going to have work on an alternate locking system. Over all it is a great value for $99. This is the second GP ARF I have bought (the first was the Cherokee) and both are great. The Cherokee is one of the best flying planes I have had in over 35 years of flying RC. The best is an Ultra Sport 40 I built in 1990 and still have today. It will be interesting to see how the Escapade compares to the US in the air.

Bruce
Old 01-02-2009, 06:18 PM
seahwk95

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for the info bruce. Yea, the covering on mine looked great as well. I haven't even taken the fuse out of the bag, but thanks for the head's up on that. It was packaged very nicely and looks like it will be a quick build (which for me at this point will be months with a 3 yr old and newborn).
Old 01-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you guys get a chance and have the capability, I know I and others would love to see photos. Anything, even parts just out of the box. Just a thought and thanks.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:47 PM
seahwk95

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i can try to upload some images of the arf as it comes packaged tomorrow Tom.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

totally cool. Give it shot. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:53 AM
seahwk95

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's a few amateur pics of the arf contents. If there is anything specific let me know. They're 3mb a piece so I had to split them up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58158.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1102405  
Old 01-03-2009, 12:02 PM
seahwk95

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

another

Name:	Ca81972.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1102406  
Old 01-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks like a descent arf. Nicely monokoted. Nice price even in Canadian funds ($120.00 CAD) . Is it fully or semi symetrical airfoil on the wing? Probably makes a great second airplane.

Jim
Old 01-03-2009, 12:58 PM
landeck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is a semi symetrical airfoil.

Bruce
Old 01-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, that's pretty cool. Thanks seahwk95 for you photo efforts. The MonoKoting looks pretty good. I was also wondering about the airfoil.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:42 PM
seahwk95

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No problem Tom. I actually took more but my camera settings had each pic weighing in at over 3 mb. Like I said if you want anything specific I'll be glad to give it a shot. It really is packaged nicely and with the pre-hinged surfaces, which after checking out seem to be pretty sturdy, it should be a quick, easy arf to assemble. This is my third ARF and the instructions, at least at first glance, seem to be very well written (my first GP arf). Went and purchased some accessories today and hope to at least start tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I was mostly curious about the airfoil. You pretty much hit the bulls eye with your photos. What is that square portion on the root rib at the leading edge? Is it for indexing the wing when mounted in the fuselage? Also curious to know what engine you're putting in it? Looks like a winner with any engine. Going to have get my second Avistar assembly pushed so that I can even think about one of these. Looks good.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:48 PM
ChuckW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Seahwk95, if you don't mind could you measure the length of each wing panel along with the chord? I'm wondering if the wing area shown on on the Tower site is correct.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 PM
seahwk95

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nope, I don't mind. Wingspan measures are accurate at 52 1/2 and chord I measured at 9 3/8. She may be a brick, but she's my brick . That puts it at about a 13 which, as you mentioned in the beginners forum, puts it in the lower echelon of the warbird characteristics, right?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:47 PM
ChuckW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So the specs are accurate. That sounds like pretty high loading for this type of plane but I think the real test is how it actually flys. If it is fun to fly then numbers don't mean much. I'm sure there is more to the story than just the wing loading.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm still groovin to the idea of a good strong light 40 is all this plane needs. Just my opinion. Interesting as more info and reviews come in. Thanks seahwk95 for keeping us updated.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:22 AM
seahwk95

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No worries, glad to do it. Honestly, I'm still somewhat of a novice and knowing information like this will only help me down the road. If it does in fact exhibit some "brick-like" characteristics, I want to know, but like ChuckW said, the real test is how it actually does fly. I'm actually very glad to see that RCKen will be reviewing this for better or worse. At least I know I may have my hands full with it!
Old 01-06-2009, 01:09 PM
ChuckW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wouldn't worry. GP makes great stuff and if they put it out there, it will likely fly nice.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Warbird 01

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Tom Nied

Tower is showing it available now, but no replacement parts yet. Pretty cool.
Parts are now on the Tower website. I am ordering the glow combo. They also have an optional cowling listed, but no picture yet. Here is the link.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...pade&search=Go

Shawn
Old 01-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow, how awesome is that. No problem with not having enough power with that combination. I'd be tempted to put a smaller and lighter engine in it. JMHO.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Amistad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I received the Escapade on 5Jan09 and as of the end of 8Jan09 the plane is about ready for her maiden. I decided to pretty well follow the stock build with single aileron servo. With hinges already installed, no epoxy to join wings and bolt on tail assembly It was a quick build. The first evening was spent with the covering iron. There were very few wrinkles, so this phase consisted primarily of sealing seams and trim.

The hinges seemed to be attached securely with gaps so small that I didn’t bother to seal them. After attaching the wing and tail assembly, measurements turned out to be right on. The tail wheel and mains went together with one minor problem. The collars furnished for the mains proved to be a little too wide. After sliding the wheel and collars on the axle, there wasn’t enough space left on the axle to file a flat and still leave a little axle outside the flat. I found collars in my stash slightly narrower that solved that problem.

The fuel tank when centered in the tank compartment left sharp bends in the fuel lines to get from the tank through the fuel line holes in the firewall. Marking the tank top per instructions left the tank cap offset from the firewall holes. The tank was too tall to turn it the other way so that it would be centered, so i just installed the tank at an angle to align the tank cap with the holes.

Servos and controls went in without problems. After everything was installed except the engine and throttle control rod, I tested for balance. I found I had to move the engine out to the end of the mounts to get balanced without weights. Engine is a HB40 weighing around 19 oz. No cutting was required to clear the muffler or needle valve.

The canopy section doesn’t seem to latch just right, but seems secure after seating it and then moving it slightly to the rear to lock it in. It seems it should slide back more, maybe with the rear of the canopy sliding over the front of the turtle back. The fit seems a little off in that area, since the canopy hits the edge of the turtle back instead of sliding over it, giving the canopy locking device more backward movement.

So, depending on the weather, I should get a maiden in between high winds over the next few days. after giving everything a check tomorrow. Bob T.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Amistad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm trying to figure out how to get some attachments in here.
bobT.
[C:\temp\escapade04.jpg][c:\temp\escapade05.jpg][c:\temp\escapade08.jpg][c:\temp\escapade14.jpg][c:\temp\escapade15.jpg]
Old 01-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Amistad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Trying attachments again. Bob T.

Name:	Qo40524.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1106879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26583.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	1106880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93334.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1106881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw64987.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1106882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vh56063.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1106883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wm84247.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1106884  
Old 01-09-2009, 01:15 PM
seahwk95

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info Amistad!! I've got a quick question for you (or any of the other folks that have started assembling this plane). I'm only getting a few minutes at a time to work on assembly.

When attaching the stabs to the fuse via the two threaded rods, did you have any trouble getting the rods to match up and go through the holes in the bottom of the fuse? I just started looking at that step the other night, and it seems like trying to thread a needle blindfolded. After a few minutes I was back on baby patrol so I had to put it down. Mine certainly didn't mate with the holes seamlessly and I was wondering if you had the same issue and were able to find an easy way to do it.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service