Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Old 10-28-2010, 07:37 PM
frivera12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

How will an Escapade perform with a 4S O.S. 70? Single or dual aileron servos?
Old 10-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Irish_Santa

This plane looks nice and so does the price.....with that said this plane does not compare vary well at all to the escapade the escapade has a fair amount of dihederal. the one you are pointing out is a strait wing plane....there are a lot of other things that differ but to me that is the major one.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:24 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On the last page, you folks talked about mods to the airplane. I'm only a recent arrival here. What kind of mods are we talking about???

Thanks,

Bob
Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

Bob,

My wife has been flying hers for over a year, first from grass now from petromat. Other than the Tech Notices no modifications are needed.All they do is add weigh. There will be people who will say without "their" particular modifications that the plane will have all sorts of issues. Not so. Assemble it per the instructions and Tech Notices and you will have a great flying plane.

Of course I'm old and have only been building and flying over 50 years so some of the people with 1-3 years experience clearly have more knowledge.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:54 PM
oldvet70

ORIGINAL: frivera12

How will an Escapade perform with a 4S O.S. 70? Single or dual aileron servos?
An OS 70 4S is more than enough engine for this plane. Single or dual ailerons, does not really matter, it's your choice. Have flown them both ways myself and assembled one for the wife using just 1 servo for ailerons. Heck it's an inexpensive sport plane so it is just fine with 1.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:13 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine flies just great with only one aileron servo. Ibuilt it on the very light side.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:51 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I agree, one aileron servo is sufficient.

Using two does however open up battery options in the fuselage as there is more space without the servo in the wing and the control arms removed.
two servo's also allows for flaperons which is great if you know how to use them. If not then don;t bother with the servo in each wing, just build it with one.

I too built mine as per instructions and it flies just fine thank you very much.

I've done no other mod other than fit a cowl and change the tailwheel because the supplied unit collapsed.
This plane is attractive and flies as well as it looks if built as per the manual.
I have not even bothered with sealing hinge lines. No flutter on mine. it just flies fast, straight and is very predicatable.
It is also very stable even if it is sitting slighly tail heavy on the CG machine.

I know I've said this before and am in danger of sounding like a stuck record, the Escapade flies well if built according to the instructions.
It is easily over powered - its 200gr lighter than my .46 size Extra (with GMS .47)
Old 10-29-2010, 08:00 AM
billmay
My Feedback: (1)

Is there any problem with using the Escapade's wheel pants when flying off a grass field or is it better to leave them off? I'm talking about a club field that is fairly well maintained.

Bill
Old 10-29-2010, 08:08 AM
jeffie8696

Mine will take off and land just fine with the wheel pants installed.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:16 AM
landeck

I have been flying mine off short grass for 19 months and the wheel pants have not caused any problems and have held up well.

Bruce
Old 10-29-2010, 10:19 AM
hsukaria

I have never had trouble flying off grass with mine either with wheel pants.

I built mine completely per instructions and single aileron servo. If you have concerns with enough torque, use a stronger servo (which I did not need). The aileron torque rods come already installed and are very stiff. It is actually more work to put the dual aileron servos; you have to cut the covering over the servo holes in the wings, cut the torque rods, drill and install aileron control horns, install 2 servos instead of 1, and route the servo wires with extensions. As mentioned before, the only thing you gain with dual servos is the option of using flaperons, and freeing up space to move the Rx battery around. Also, the single servo setup is cleaner aerodynamically since you don't have the servos, pushrods, and control horns sticking out below the wing (minor drag, but looks messier).
Old 10-29-2010, 02:13 PM
billmay

Thanks to you all for the responses on the wheel pants. They look nice so I'm glad I'll be able to leave them on.

Also appreciate the comments on the single vs. dual aileron servos. I was thinking of installing the dual but I may just go with the single since I like the idea of leaving the wings "clean" and having the servo enclosed in the fuselage.

Bill
Old 10-29-2010, 03:31 PM
frivera12

I'm flying an Avistar. The Escapade will be my second plane. Is the Escapade wayharder to fly than the Avistar? What about landing speeds, etc?
It' will be powered by a .70 4s. Are flaperons necessary for this aircraft?
Old 10-29-2010, 03:41 PM
hsukaria

One thing to think about regarding the wheel pants. If you land hard and break off the gear mounting, the pointy rear ends of the wheel pants can poke through the wings. That is why some people don't put them on until they feel confident in their landing skills. So that would be what I would recommend, maybe start flying without them and then when you are comfortable/confident with your landing ability, put them on.

I don't know about the Avistar, but I started with a Super Star and the Escapade would have to land a little faster, but because it tracks better than my SuperStar did, I did not have any problems. The Escapade is much better to control if there is any wind compared to the high wingers and floaters when it comes to landing, IMHO.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:42 PM
mschulz531

ORIGINAL: frivera12

I'm flying an Avistar. The Escapade will be my second plane. Is the Escapade wayharder to fly than the Avistar? What about landing speeds, etc?
It' will be powered by a .70 4s. Are flaperons necessary for this aircraft?
The Escapade is a good choice after the Avistar....your engine choice sounds good as well.
I don't think flaperons are necessary.

Enjoy!
-Mike
Old 10-29-2010, 05:26 PM
jeffie8696

I was just out flying my Tower40 trainer in some gusty winds and I really prefer my Escapade. The trainer is rather difficult to land well in high winds but the Epade just blasts right through it. Isuggest maintaining some speed and bring it in rather shallow instead of trying to float it in . You should see less bounce that way. The Epade even makes me look like an expert. That is saying something.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:46 PM
billmay

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

One thing to think about regarding the wheel pants. If you land hard and break off the gear mounting, the pointy rear ends of the wheel pants can poke through the wings. That is why some people don't put them on until they feel confident in their landing skills. So that would be what I would recommend, maybe start flying without them and then when you are comfortable/confident with your landing ability, put them on.
Good point and suggestion. It makes sense to start without them until I get some landing practice in .Thanks.

Bill
Old 10-29-2010, 07:25 PM
WindGap
My Feedback: (3)

The epade lands fast. My tower trainer will float to touch down. The epade will stall at a fast speed. So if you let her slow down, she'll fall like a rock. I'm a beginner too, and my best advice for landing her is to make several high passes and discover her stall speed. Keep your speed just above stall speed when touching down, keep it shallow, or she'll pogo.
Almost every youtube epade I've watched, not a single one lands w/o a bounce.
In my novice opinion, the small wings and weight warrant speed. This is a big difference from trainers.
The epade has good flying characteristics, and is a joy to fly. I've built mine as per instructions and have made no mods. A thunder tiger pro 46 is enough power for a beginner like me, ymmv. It would balance better with a bigger engine, however I think it'll be a handful if you're coming from a trainer.

My only gripe regards the preassembled fuel tank. There was a leak and this had me chasing gremblins for almost a month. So, check and make sure.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:47 PM
tms96460

Keep the elevator on high rates and several clicks of throttle and the escapade will float in.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:27 PM
jeffie8696

First thing Idid was replace the big tank and installed a clear 6oz one. It is nice to be able to take off the hatch and watch the tank fill. And the little Irvine 36 doesnt need a 9oz tank. Helped keep the all up weight down and keeps the CG from changing as much.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:42 PM
oldvet70

ORIGINAL: WindGap

Almost every youtube epade I've watched, not a single one lands w/o a bounce.
Well I'd suggest that you quit watching YouTube and being influenced by pilots who apparently don't know how to land.The Escapade will require a little more speed to land than a typical high wing trainer, after all the wing loading is higher.But that said it will land very slowly, my wife rarely bounces hers on landing, I did .... 1 time, and it is a great second plane for anyone who is confident flying their trainer. Just assemble it as it is designed, don't forget the Tech Notes, don't do a bunch of unneeded modifications that only add weight, then you'll have an even higher wing load and landing speed. My wife has been flying one for more than a year and I've never had to repair a thing on it.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:48 AM
landeck

I agree with OldVet. In 19 months I have not bounced the Escapade once on landing. I keep a couple of klicks above idle until I near the runway threshold, then cut to idle, hold the plane level allowing it to sink at its own rate, and land on two wheels. Works every time without a bounce.

Bruce
Old 11-01-2010, 09:03 AM
frivera12

So this is my final combo: Escapade(single servo aileron), O.S. 70 4s, Futaba 6EX 2.4. I hope to have the maiden flight this week.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:10 AM
landeck

Let us know how it goes and good luck.

Bruce
Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 AM
hsukaria

The OS 70 FS is quite a powerful engine, your Escapade will kick some tail. I have it on a larger and heavier model and it is quite impressive. Just make sure that you have enough ground clearance for the larger prop that the OS 70 FS uses. The landing gear on the Escapade is a little squatty.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.