Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Old 11-16-2010, 01:50 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

ORIGINAL: billmay

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Billmay, I am not sure about the structural integrity of the fuse if that shelf is only temporarily set. Some others may have a more informed opinion, but I glued it down solid to give the fuse more strength.
Point well taken....that's why I was wondering if anyone had significant flight experience with a less permanent installation. I'll probably just brush on some epoxy along the seams and be done with it. Thanks for your reply.

Bill

I have been flying the Escapade for 19 months with the tail attached with only the bolts. I have had no problems nor have I had to tighten the bolts but I do check them before each days flying.

Bruce
Old 11-16-2010, 01:56 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: landeck

BTW, the Escapade 60 comes with a fiberglass cowling. I just placed it on order.

Bruce
It looks real nice. But if the cowl is not precut, I would mount the engine on the side with the muffler coming out the bottom. It kind of defeats the purpose to have the engine/muffler stick out the top with a sleek plane like this one. Just my opinion.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:01 PM
DeferredDefect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mehh.

I think the market for the Escapade 60 is saturated. It's a bit pricey, seeing as the intent of the original was as an inexpensive ARF.
Think Tiger 60, Four Star 60, Pulse, etc, etc.

I like my Escapade, but don't really get the new one.

Graeme
Old 11-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Tower has just announced the Escapade 60 size set for a late January delievery:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNAMXN&P=G

Bruce
Yep, I smell a DLE 20cc hung up on the front end of this puppy and it has that similar Revolver 70" blue and about the same size and the Revolver too. A nice combo I might add. It is a lot cheaper than the 60 size Hangar 9 Pulse XT.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:34 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

Bruce
Yep, I smell a DLE 20cc hung up on the front end of this puppy and it has that similar Revolver 70'' blue and about the same size and the Revolver too. A nice combo I might add. It is a lot cheaper than the 60 size Hangar 9 Pulse XT.
But the large Revolver is only $10 more than the Escapade 60. So I don't know....
Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

Bruce
Yep, I smell a DLE 20cc hung up on the front end of this puppy and it has that similar Revolver 70'' blue and about the same size and the Revolver too. A nice combo I might add. It is a lot cheaper than the 60 size Hangar 9 Pulse XT.
But the large Revolver is only $10 more than the Escapade 60. So I don't know....
I already have a Rev 70 so I was thinking that this would be a nice low wing bird for more layed back flying and using the Rev 70 for the sport stuff. Just an excuse to add another plane to the fleet is all
Old 11-17-2010, 09:30 AM
landeck

I currently have in my sport plane fleet:

Escapade 40 with a Magnum 46 XLS (2 years old)

Pulse XT 60 with an OS 61 FX (2 years old)

Revolver 70 with a Magnum 91 4S (just finished it last Sunday, not yet maidened)

Super Skybolt with an OS 61 SF (1 year old)

They all fly great with the Escapade 40 being my favorite. The Escapade 60 will be the perfect addition to the fleet. I plan to put a new Fox .74 Eagle in it which I have just finished breaking in on the test stand. It is a power horse and should be perfect for the new Escapade. As I noted in an earlier post, I already have preorder it. The question is how many times with Tower slip the availability date before they finially ship it.

Bruce
Old 11-19-2010, 06:45 AM
frivera12

The two brothers Escapade 40 & 60 can be grouped on the same forum
Old 11-19-2010, 09:16 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: frivera12

The two brothers Escapade 40 & 60 can be grouped on the same forum[img][/img]
I prefer that also.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:43 PM
prelude92

Hi all,

Have been reading the majority of this thread - fascinating history , but lost the "middle story": So there was a Escapade 2? 3? Did these versions address the issuses with the early models? I'm moving up from a trainer (finally, after about 9 months) and would like to cosider this as my second plane, but read along the thread that this really wasn't appropriate for flyers like myself because of all the modifications that experienced pilots were forced to make. Anybody's input is greatly appreicated.

jc
Old 11-20-2010, 06:01 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: prelude92

Hi all,

Have been reading the majority of this thread - fascinating history , but lost the ''middle story'': So there was a Escapade 2? 3? Did these versions address the issuses with the early models? I'm moving up from a trainer (finally, after about 9 months) and would like to cosider this as my second plane, but read along the thread that this really wasn't appropriate for flyers like myself because of all the modifications that experienced pilots were forced to make. Anybody's input is greatly appreicated.

jc
Many of us in this thread have not had to do ANY modifications. I kept it 100% stock with no problems.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:59 PM
prelude92

Thanks, Hsukaria. How long ago did you purchase yours? Just wondering if perhaps you got an improved model.

jc
Old 11-20-2010, 07:59 PM
tms96460

I havn't really done any mods here as well and fly's very well! As a step up from a trainer I don't think there would be a problem as long as you keep things light and straight and don't plan on using to big of a motor. IThe Escapade can fly fast and slow without any negative traits that I can tell. Plus it it cool looking as heck. I will be ordering the .61 Escapade soon aas it is available and puttinga gas motor in it.
Tim
Suisun, CA
Old 11-20-2010, 08:14 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

Assemble the Escapade per the instructions and Tech Notes.There are NO modifications necessary.,All they will do is add extra weight which is detrimental to the plane. It is a great second plane.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:19 AM
landeck

ORIGINAL: prelude92

Thanks, Hsukaria. How long ago did you purchase yours? Just wondering if perhaps you got an improved model.

jc
I preorder mine two years ago before it was first available. The only "mods" I did are those now covered with the included tech notes. You will have no problems assembling it and it is a great flyer.

Bruce
Old 11-21-2010, 07:36 AM
Irish_Santa

Here is the scoop on the mods

They are not nessessarily nessessary but keep some things in mind.

1. The tail wheel does not need to be modded but some pilots on hard landing surfaces have noted the collapse of the wire

2. The tail section does not need to be epoxied UNLESS you plan on putting the plane through the ringer of manuvers or you did what I did and tighten the nut to much and broke through the tiny little piece of balsa that makes up the nut shelf.....personally.....beware.

3. The landing section does not need to be double reinforced but the people that are telling everyone that it is NOT needed are experienced pilots and know how to land the plane. I too came from a (veryl light weight) trainer and saw too many people at my own club bouncing thier plane hard one more than one occasion and saw one guy hit not so hard on landing and the landing gear shelf ripped out.....personally...add the epoxy if you are new to low-wing...it will save you some potential headaches down the road

there has not been any mention of a mkII or mkIII with this plane but the manufacturer has noted that there are some issues with the orriginal design and have added some steps in the manufacturing of the plane at the plant like epoxying the elevator wire in the elevators

NOTE...
check your control surfaces during build and add ca if needed and keep checking them during each and every flight

And a final NOTE to all of the experienced pilots out there....Please keep in mind that you are experienced and some of the other people on this board are NOT and are asking for help for that reason AND this plane is technically a Low-Wing trainer/Second Plane.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:39 AM
tms96460

Don't mind this posting, to early and not enough coffee.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: Irish_Santa

1. The tail wheel does not need to be modded but some pilots on hard landing surfaces have noted the collapse of the wire

2. The tail section does not need to be epoxied UNLESS you plan on putting the plane through the ringer of manuvers or you did what I did and tighten the nut to much and broke through the tiny little piece of balsa that makes up the nut shelf.....personally.....beware.

3. The landing section does not need to be double reinforced but the people that are telling everyone that it is NOT needed are experienced pilots and know how to land the plane. I too came from a (veryl light weight) trainer and saw too many people at my own club bouncing thier plane hard one more than one occasion and saw one guy hit not so hard on landing and the landing gear shelf ripped out.....personally...add the epoxy if you are new to low-wing...it will save you some potential headaches down the road

there has not been any mention of a mkII or mkIII with this plane but the manufacturer has noted that there are some issues with the orriginal design and have added some steps in the manufacturing of the plane at the plant like epoxying the elevator wire in the elevators

NOTE...
check your control surfaces during build and add ca if needed and keep checking them during each and every flight

And a final NOTE to all of the experienced pilots out there....Please keep in mind that you are experienced and some of the other people on this board are NOT and are asking for help for that reason AND this plane is technically a Low-Wing trainer/Second Plane.
One of the clubs I fly at is the same club as Irish_Santa so I guess I have to concede since I know he has the Escapade and we could sabotage each other's planes [X(]

OK, just kidding. This is great info to keep in mind and/or to perform to your plane. It is good to do any planes this way if need be. It could only mean longer laster and stronger planes and isn't that what we all want? [8D]
Old 11-21-2010, 11:04 AM
TimBle

good post Irish Santa. I can only add a note of caution on reinforcing the gear area and general flying of this plane.The gear area should be reinforced with glass and epoxy. Just adding glue will noy penetrate under the tri stock already added the factory. Strips of glass matt, 10mm wide along the edged of the gear box is enough.As IS says it is a great 2nd plane/low wing aerobatic trainer. It is not a pylon racer, reusable space transportation system or WMD. Fly it with respect and it'll get you too instructor level.Darn i miss mine already.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:22 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Irish_Santa

NOTE...

The best advice that can be given to the OP or any other inexperienced pilot is to Assemble it per the instructions and Tech Notes.DONOTDOall these modifications that the inexperienced seem to believe they must do. All they do is add weight which increases the wing load so the stall speed is higher and the plane must have more speed to take off and land. My wife flys hers without all these so called needed "Mods" and has had Zero problems.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Luchnia

You certainly don't have to do the mods and yes the plane can fly fine without them, however if done in moderation you should not be adding that much weight. It could also save the aircraft on one of those windy days when you might have that extra unexpected gust of wind and a bounce.

Some of the earlier Escapades had some issues. The elevators came out of some of them because the hinges were not glued properly.

I reinforce most of my planes with minimum glue and wood and there is little difference in the weight and they fly excellent. I have only replaced stock landing gear on one plane and that is the small Revolver because the gear is flimsy and the composite material starts cracking with standard landings. The rest of my planes have the factory landing gear and factory tailwheels installed.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:38 PM
prelude92

Thank you Irish Santa, and everybody for your advice.

jc
Old 11-21-2010, 08:42 PM
prelude92

One more thing.... anybody know what size tail wheel  as well as main wheels the Escapade takes? I'd like to replace them with  low bounce rubber tires, and order everything at the same time.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 PM
tms96460

Bro, there is nothing wrong with the tail wheel unless you plan on landing on an aircraft carrier. Changing the mains will add weight.

Tim
Old 11-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Irish_Santa

The original main wheels are 3" and the tail wheel is 7/8"

The replacements I had to put on do to one coming off in flight are 2 1/2" ( please make sure you file a flat spot on the axel and use threadlock on the collar pins)

The tail wheel I used was a 1 1/4" wheel but keep in mind I upgraded the tail wheel assembly with the sullivan kit

As for the added weight from the upgraded wheels.....you WILL NOT notice the difference.

Good luck and Happy Flying,

Jerry
(Irish_Santa)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.