Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:44 AM
billmay
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

ORIGINAL: harryangus

Anybody here had any weight problem with the Escapade?
I installed an OS AX46 and standard servos, allat the places recommendedbut as per the CG, the plane is about 6 ounces tail heavy.
Is6 ounces inbalance anormal thing for the Escapade or any other plane? I am new to the hobby, so your advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
You'll get various opinions on this but see the end of my previous post for my opinion (and I'm new at this also).

Bill

Old 01-06-2011, 06:50 AM
landeck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harry, 6 oz does seem a little extreme. Did you use the tail wheel that came with the plane or did you use an after market one? What else might you have done to add weight to the tail?

Bruce
Old 01-06-2011, 06:57 AM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used the tail provided by the manufacturer. I followed everything.
The only thing I did was installing the battery on top next to the receiver instead of underneath.
The reason is that battery is not flat so it interferes with the wing.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:39 AM
hairy46

Harry with mine I did change the tail wheel, But that said I put the battery under the tank moved everything forward and then had to add 5.5 oz on the motor mount as far out as I could. It flew OK not great until I had a dead stick. It fell like a rock, Total lost! I never replaced it because I have some low wing planes that really fly great so stayed with the ones I know for me that flys great! Will I ever try another Escapade maybe but I have many thats on my list to get first. Hairy
Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 AM
markhamregular

Thanks for your help.
I will move my battery over the tank and add whatever weight I need to the firewall.
But based on all the the mails I read here, I will make sure I am very good with my PT40 before I moved to the Escapade.
There are a few guys at the field who fly them, I will also ask questions there.
The problem I notice is that eah person has solutions based on their own plane.

Thanks a lot

Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 AM
hairy46

Yes being there is guys flying the Escapade were you fly with success find out whats working for them kind of pick their brains on the plane! There has been allot of guys that have loved this plane, I have a low winged stick that I just love to fly and if the plane does not fly half as good as it I am kind of bias about the plane! most my planes if I use the battery and move things one way or the other I rarely have to add much weight if any! Where there is that much smoke on success with the Escaped there has to be some guys fired up about them. Mine was not a fun flyer. But it was a joy to look at, They are a beautiful plane!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:35 AM
billmay

ORIGINAL: hairy46

Harry with mine I did change the tail wheel, But that said I put the battery under the tank moved everything forward and then had to add 5.5 oz on the motor mount as far out as I could. It flew OK not great until I had a dead stick. It fell like a rock, Total lost! I never replaced it because I have some low wing planes that really fly great so stayed with the ones I know for me that flys great! Will I ever try another Escapade maybe but I have many thats on my list to get first. Hairy
Which would seem to prove the point that I and others have made.....that the recommended CG of 63 is a bit too far forward. It seems a lot of people are saying the plane is tail heavy before they even fly it. I added 5 oz. myself originally to the nose and the most experienced guy in our club (60 years of flying) had a hard time with the maiden landing it because, on low rates, he ran out of elevator just trying to hold it up on landing and had nothing left for the flare. Without the weight, the CGwent from 63 to about 70mmm back and the plane flew without any trim at all.Even a novice like me was able to land it 3 times and the plane gave a nice gradual descent with no throttle at all and easily flared for landing.

As new as I am, it only makes sense to me that you determine the proper CG by what the plane tells you when you're flying .......not what it says on a piece of paper.Since Great Planes recommends the Escapade for inexperienced fliers I believe they have intentionally set the starting point CG forward of what is optimum. However, I think they actually may be doing a bit of disservice.While they'll certainly prevent people from stalling on takeoff, they are also making the plane harder to land than is necessary. The Escapade forums are filled with comments of people that the plane has to be landed "hot', some are even adding flaps, etc. when it really isn't necessary. You have to make your own decision but if the CG comes out anywhere between 63 and 70mm back,I would certainly try it and see how it flies. You could always get someone more experienced to maiden it, like I did, if you're uncomfortable about it. Just my $.02 (as I get off my soap box and don my flame suit ).

Bill

Old 01-06-2011, 11:45 AM
hairy46

Bill, I really did not have mine long enough to make the changes that might have saved it! All I know at what was recomended in the book could not have been right because mine did not feel at all right in the air! So you guys informing the new guys that the CG in the book is wrong is a step in the right direction!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:54 AM
billmay

Bill, I really did not have mine long enough to make the changes that might have saved it! All I know at what was recomended in the book could not have been right because mine did not feel at all right in the air! So you guys informing the new guys that the CG in the book is wrong is a step in the right direction!
My comments were really intended to be general and were certainly not a criticism of you personally. You're comments were simply agreeing with what at least some others, including me, have seen. I will add that I do have the Sullivan tail wheel on mine but that only adds ~14g(0.5 oz.) to the tail (vs. the stock wheel) so I don't think it would account for all of the difference in my CG vs. the manual.Perhaps there is some variation among the kits since the recommended CG does seem to work for some people. I think the real point is that the recommended CG is a starting point so get it close and then fly the plane.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:04 PM
tms96460

I had to build a tray for the battery to sit under the engine to ballance this plane.

Tim S.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:23 PM
hairy46

Bill, Never took it as criticism of me! I do think that because some in the tread balanced out without weight and others allot of weight that its a toss up on wich one you get! But that said I am happy that many can be saved from what I went through by just changing the CG! This is good because I not only lost a plane that day but had to fix a brand new OS AX 46 and lost servos that day as well. Not the only one I lost last year, I lost a trainer when the trainy got it out to far for these eyes, That one was my fault for letting that happen and my Tiger 40 when I lost everything when the servo tray came loose, I blame me there as well! But the Escapade fell like a rock without power, Without power it just rolled over and died! So those of you that has had success I am glad you are teaching the ones that have bought them what to do to get success out of them! I wish I had mine still to try some of the new idea's that seem to be working on it!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:38 PM
billmay

I wish I had mine still to try some of the new idea's that seem to be working on it!
I certainly think it's a very nice plane for the money. I'm sorry that I didn't have a chance to fly it more before winter set in on us. I'd certainly recommend that you give it another try sometime.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:49 PM
markhamregular

Lots of people at this site and the guys at the hobby shop recommended the plane to me for my second plane.
I think it's a beautiful plane at a very good price for an ARF.
But no matter what price it is, if you have to crash it on the first flight, it was not a good deal.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:53 PM
hairy46

Maybe during the summer months, Thats when I do ARF's in the winter I build kits and have three kits going right now! I am replacing the Tiger two that I lost last summer, and the Trainer I lost, also building a Top flight P-51. The Tiger two is one of my favorit it flys very nice and can do allot with it and lands like a trainer! So I had to replace it because miss flying it! Summers is where I do a few ARF"S maybe put and Escapade back on the list of things to do!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:21 PM
billmay

Maybe during the summer months, Thats when I do ARF's in the winter I build kits and have three kits going right now! I am replacing the Tiger two that I lost last summer, and the Trainer I lost, also building a Top flight P-51. The Tiger two is one of my favorit it flys very nice and can do allot with it and lands like a trainer! So I had to replace it because miss flying it! Summers is where I do a few ARF"S maybe put and Escapade back on the list of things to do!
Good luck with all your builds and may your maidens be uneventful!!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:32 PM
hairy46

Thanks Bill! And good luck with all your planes, This is a hobby like no other, I call it my theraphy! I can not imagine not doing this, I could never stop, Even if get to old to fly I will go to the field to watch!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:04 PM
capt1597

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'll assume that one of those kits your building is the one i sent you and how is the engine break in prosses going. happy new year and happy flying , capt
Old 01-06-2011, 05:21 PM
hairy46

Yea Capt it is, I was kinda bumbed out about losing the grand daughter out there and the kit you sent perk me right up and I really do not even think about whats her name anymore! life has to go on as well as the building! And you did forget the glue, So I got my 80yr old mother standing out there now just in case!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:36 PM
hairy46

Hey Capt, I know I should be grateful that you sent the kit it made it more peaceful without whats her name and got my mother out of the house! But there was no balsa or ply in the kit and its an all wood kit, Oh well a kits a kit right?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

Hi,

Nice ARF model, and I know that they FLY GREAT! One of our club members assembled his and is using a MAGNUM 52, LOTS of POWER, nice combination, smooth flying model.

Local Hobby Shop has now sold 7 more.

Ken AMA 1528
Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 PM
capt1597

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hairy, i saw how you inspired the posse' over on the jets forum to make sure that planes that were promised to be sent were sent so i just wanted to make sure that kit arrived as promised. i am glad to hear you'er in where it is warm, building kits. tell your mother to stay put fore i believe the truck will be passing thru around 4a.m. with the glue. i sent you this special three part epoxie that works quite well if your very carefull with the proper amounts of the mix. i heard that you live near Sky King and if that is true send my love to Penny, happy flying, capt
Old 01-06-2011, 10:12 PM
hairy46

Yes isnt it great that he got his money back! I am glad and hardly said a word on there about it, I never have much to say about anything! I tell you its the voices that get me into trouble! Well I better take mother a apple and a depends, She hates apples!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:36 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: harryangus

Lots of people at this site and the guysat the hobby shoprecommended the plane to me for my second plane.
I think it's a beautiful plane at a very good price for an ARF.
But no matter what price it is, if you have to crash it on the first flight, itwas not a good deal.

hmmm someone seems to be deleting my posts. Harry please tell me where your plane balances. Is it at 65mm, 66mm etc from the leading edge. If you let me know I can help you set up the radio wrt to throws and expo to help you with a successful maiden flight.
Every single Escapade I've seen seems to come out tail heavy on the CG machine. Don't concern yourself with getting it to 63mm It will fly like a brick if you do.
I loved mine with the CG at 72mm. Needed one click of down trim and three clicks of left aileron IIRC.

We're all trying to help you have the sweetest maiden flight with this beautiful airplane.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:18 AM
markhamregular

Tim,
I will have to CG it again and I will let you know.
As for radio, I have a plain vanilla 72 Futaba. No computer and fancy stuff.
My other hobby is boating so I am broke.
Just fixed my boat and tomorrow I am heading to the ocean.
Sunday I will solo my PT40 and I hope to start flying the Escapade in a month from now when I am polished with the trainer.

Will get back to you

Thanks again

Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 AM
hairy46

ORIGINAL: capt1597

hairy, i saw how you inspired the posse' over on the jets forum to make sure that planes that were promised to be sent were sent so i just wanted to make sure that kit arrived as promised. i am glad to hear you'er in where it is warm, building kits. tell your mother to stay put fore i believe the truck will be passing thru around 4a.m. with the glue. i sent you this special three part epoxie that works quite well if your very carefull with the proper amounts of the mix. i heard that you live near Sky King and if that is true send my love to Penny, happy flying, capt
Hey Capt I gave your love to Penny, That was easy we married last year! What can I say I always had a soft spot in my heart for women with very large teeth!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.