Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:34 AM
DeferredDefect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

With the first engine I used in my Escapade - an old Thunder Tiger 40. I did not need to add any weight to achieve a forward C of G for the first flight. I slipped the battery under the fuel tank near the firewall after cutting a bigger hole in the fuel tank plate.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:52 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I preordered my Escapade when it was announced and have now been flying it for two full flying seasons. The instructions say to initially balance it at 63mm from the leading edge. Then after flying, the CG can be moved up to plus/minus 12mm to suite your flying style. Mine balanced right at 63mm with the battery over the fuel tank. The plane needed no elevator trim and 3 clicks of aileron trim with a Magnum .46 XLS engine. With its CG, the plane tracks very well. It does not fly nose heavy and requires little input of elevator when inverted. I have had one dead stick landing and the plane did not drop like a brick. Rather, I kept the nose down and used elevator to adjust speed so that it completed a wide shallow 180 degree turn, landing right on the runway. I know, I was in a good position for the engine to die. It does land fast, at least faster than a trainer and it does not float on landing. I like that in that I prefer wheel landings over three point landings. There is less chance of a tip stall with a wheel landing while with a 3 point landing you actually are near stalling when you finally set down. Now with all that said, moving the CG back to 70mm as some have done is well within the limits called out in the instructions and as such I do not consider that dangerous or risky. If you prefer how the plane flies at that CG, then fly it there. Just don't say everyone should use that CG or that the "plane flies best with a 70mm CG" unless you qualify by saying "for my fllying style".

Like I said, I have been flying the Escapade for two seasons and I am happy to say that it still has not one ding or scratch on it or any sign of wear. Therefore I preordered the Escapade 61 and it is due to arrive via UPS Monday. I am really looking forward to comparing the two versions.

Bruce

Old 01-29-2011, 12:53 PM
TruBlu02

landeck,

You bring up an interesting point. You said that you prefer to make wheel landing as opposed to 3 pointers. I think this is where my flying style may differ from most people. I have always prefered a plane to be at or near stall spped right before touchdown. I leanred to fly on some fairly short fields so I really didnt have the option of making a hot landing. For someone that is still learning my apporach probably isn't the best. There really isnt any margin for error at slower speeds and the Escapade can get pretty tippy when you really slow it down like I do. Like you said having the CG at 70mm is well within the range specified by Great Planes. I can only assume using the CG at 63mm initially is to give some sort of margin for error to keep the plane out of stall range while still learning to fly.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:56 PM
landeck

TruBlu02, I have no problem with what you are saying. I have been flying models since 1953 and RC since 1973. Over that time I have come to prefer wheel lands because by landing at a slightly higher air speed, there seems to be less effect from cross winds, less chance of a stall at too high an altitude (like 5 feet), and less chance of a tip stall if you have to power up for a go around. Also, I have never had the problem of very short runways[:@]. If an experienced pilot prefers to do three point landings and can do them consistently, all the more power to him. Also since 95% of my planes have been kit built over the years, I tend to be more conservative in my flying - I don't like losing 3-6 months work because of a poor 3-point landing attempt.

As to why GP specified the CG as they did, I suspect you are correct. Yet the 63mm CG point is in the middle of the range, i.e., 63mm plus/minus 12mm. I do admit I do not see moving the CG forward on that plane.

Bruce
Old 01-29-2011, 07:37 PM
TruBlu02

Landeck,

I can see why you may be more of a conservative lander! I have always been an ARF flyer since the early 90's when I picked up the hobby. I have never taken the time to build my own model from a kit and the dedication it takes to do that would make me a more conservative flyer as well.

This whole discussion has made me curious though. As I have always been a three point lander for short field reasons I have never taken the time to learn how to do a proper 2 wheel landing with a tail dragger. I have no field length issues anymore so I am curious to see how this little plane actually does with the extra speed on final. I think I may push the CG forward to increase the stall speed some. It loves to bounce right now with any extra speed.

And thanks for the input. I have always enjoyed learning from modelers who have been the hobby for so long (That wasnt an old joke! ). That is one of the great things about aviation, there is always something new to learn!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:13 AM
hairy46

Bruce let us know how you like the Escapade 60? And what you will be using for the power? Trublu02 I would highly recommend trying a kit start with and easier one at first like a Great planes Cub and you will be hooked! I just build on an old hardwood door with sheet rock on it. You will love the results! I am final sanding one in the shop and will start covering it today. My next step is to build a scatch build, that has been a dream of mine and starting to get all the tools needed to do so! What a hobby, we get to do what we want fly an ARF or build kits or scratch build. There is a place for everyone. Got to love it!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:52 AM
landeck

hairy46, I have a NIB Fox .74 Eagle with the new style carb that I want to try first in the Escapade 61. I have broken it in on the bench and I want to try it out in a plane. It seems to be a real horse and I will try both 12x7 and 13x6 props on it. Of course I also have a NIB Super Tigre S90K that should also work well in that plane. The plane arrives tomorrow and I will let you all know what I think of it.

What a hobby, we get to do what we want fly an ARF or build kits or scratch build. There is a place for everyone. Got to love it!
Well said!

Bruce
Old 01-30-2011, 11:43 AM
hairy46

Yes Bruce looking forward to hearing how you like the Escapade Sixty, Sounds like it will have good power! Here we have to power up our planes because we are at 7000 ft, I would love to fly again down there in Ga. I use to fly a little with a couple guys over in Winder Ga. I had lived there about 14 years. Use to race the RC cars at a track in your town that had shut down before I had left. Bruce have you seen the thread for just ARF's? These guys are doing some great jobs on making the ARF there own, Its a great thread! That was one of the things I did not like about ARF's was you saw so many of the same planes at the field. These guys are getting very creative. Well good luck with the new plane and will be watching for your review of the plane on here. Bob
Old 01-30-2011, 11:52 AM
landeck

Yes the Atlanta area is a great place to live! We have been here since 1974 (except for two years in Boca Raton) and love it. Before that we lived all over the contry and l like this area the best. In the last month we have had two snow storms and were locked in the house for 5 days with ice covering everything. But today it is sunny and the temperature is 68 degrees.

I have been following the thread on ARFs only (ARF bashing) and some of those planes are works of art!

Bruce
Old 01-30-2011, 12:09 PM
hairy46

Yes I miss Ga. its cold and windy today, But am enjoying the build today. I had to come back because my dad died and my mom had a really bad stroke and needed someone close by, The place I raced there I think was just called Sandy Springs Race Way. also raced over in Gainville, Snellville, Larenceville, Sugarhill and a couple tracks in Atlanta. But planes are my first love! And have to agree those guys with the ARF's are turning them into works of art! I spend so much time on RC airplanes that if I was to do just ARF's it would get spendy. Kits takes time and I spend the time on them. I cut out TV over 10 years ago and that alone freed up allot of my time! What a absulute joy this hobby has been to me, I would trade it for no other hobby, This hobby is therapy!
Old 01-30-2011, 01:50 PM
landeck

I have never been into RC cars so have not heard of a Sandy Springs Race Way. In the early '80s when my son was in high school, he worked in a hobby shop here which was mainly RC cars and he was into the cars. I will ask him what he knows.

Your right about building to keep from having to spend too much on ARFs. Being retired, I get to work on my planes everyday and if they were only ARFs, I would be broke with planes everywhere.[X(] Right now I have an Ultra Sport 60 on the bench. I have a 40 size US I have been flying for 21 years and now it will have a big brother. But I will clear the bench to work on the Escapade 60 when it arrives tomorrow.

Bruce
Old 02-03-2011, 02:15 PM
RealViking
My Feedback: (5)

I got my 60 size Escapade today, What a sweet bird. This is a real modell airplane intended for fun. Quality is top notch. Cant wait to fly this one. Assembly looks straight forward.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:49 PM
hairy46

Looking forward to a flight report! Good luck with the maiden!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Warren
My Feedback: (72)

ORIGINAL: TruBlu02

I am suprsed so many comments have been made about anything bigger than a 46 is too much. I have been running the 55AX with the Tower muffler in mine and it is a blast! I didn't spend alot of time worrying about balance either. I prefer a model to be more tail heavy anyways. I have a 6V Rx pack sitting behind the tank with the Rx Min is balanced around 70MM probably a bit more. it still feels a bit nose heavy to me but will slow down farly nicely. It requires quite a bit more Elevator input than I am used to with my 3D models. With my current CG it will hold a high speed knife edge all the way down the field.

Another thing to think about for you guys messing with CG is to take the plane up and roll it inverted. A tail heavy plane will require very little or no down elevator to hold level inverted flight. Even with my CG past 70mm it still take quite a bit of elevator to hold level inverted flight. I think those of you who have added a lot of weight to the nose should remove it and take it for a spin. You might be suprised!
What prop are you running on your 55AX?
Old 02-06-2011, 12:15 PM
TruBlu02

ORIGINAL: Warren

What prop are you running on your 55AX?
I am using a Evolution 11x6. I think it is a good combo for this model as an all around good balance of speed and vertical. I am going to start experimenting though with different props just for the heck of it. I got a drawer full of props that are in the range of the 55AX. Should be interesting.

On another note I took the Escapade out to the local US Navy Auxillary field today and got to fly on the runway. It as the first time flying it on pavement. It definitely is a bouncy little plane on the pavemnt. It is not very tolerant of less than perfect touchdowns. I suspect most of that has to do with the really springy gear. The stock foam tires are not a fan of the pavement!

It was fairly windy as well. Maybe 15 knots or so. Not to bad. The higher wing loading of the Escapade helps alot in the wind. Putting the plane down in the crosswind though does take a little patience. After a couple tries I was able to keep the nose pointed straight down the runway and the upwind wing slightly down. Overall I am very impressed with the Escapade and how it handles even in stronger winds.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Warren

Hoping to maiden mine in a week or so.

55AX on an APC 11x6 for now with Tower TS-140 digital MG's on 5 cells. Came out to 5 pounds 6 ounces - 26 oz/square foot loading - Should be nice.

Interestingly enough if you go with a single servo in the wing, and try to put the battery where they recommend, it won't fit at all... LOL

Man their hardware really has gone down hill - Every z-bend I tried to make cracked the wire - Had to replace all the pushrods with Dubro.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:09 PM
TruBlu02

Warren,

The plane looks great! You are going to love it. I bought this plane only a relaxing sport flyer for occasional use. After one flight I was hooked! My 3D planes have seen very little use since I got the Escapade.

As for the hardware I know what you are saying.I decided not to Z-bend anything on this one and just use the quick clips. So far the stock pushrods have held up really well with no slop. They are adequate at best in their quality but good enugh for this type of plane. I would also reccomend ditching the stock tailwheel. It is the biggest joke I have seen on a ARF aircraft. One landing in the grass will spin it sideways and it will eventually just break off like mine did. I replaced mine with the durbro tailwheel and it works perfect.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:13 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like that combination, but I'll bet that if you want to 'up' the prop to a 12x6 it won't have any problems. I use a 12x6 on my 55AX with no problems, though I haven't put that combo into an Escapade...

Bob
Old 02-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Warren

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

I like that combination, but I'll bet that if you want to 'up' the prop to a 12x6 it won't have any problems. I use a 12x6 on my 55AX with no problems, though I haven't put that combo into an Escapade...

Bob
I have a 12x6 and 11x7 as well - New engine so I'll run the 11x6 for a few tanks.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Beagle RC Air

With a 56 Saito I found that the battery had to go forward under the fuel tank to come close to the recommendations for cg. Single servo on ailerons didn't seem to work out at all. Kind of neat little plane for the money but it has some issues. Looking forward to some decent weather to get this one in the air.
beagle
Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 PM
TruBlu02

ORIGINAL: Beagle RC Air

With a 56 Saito I found that the battery had to go forward under the fuel tank to come close to the recommendations for cg. Single servo on ailerons didn't seem to work out at all. Kind of neat little plane for the money but it has some issues. Looking forward to some decent weather to get this one in the air.
beagle
Where did you end up on the CG range. Were you able to get 63mm?
Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Beagle RC Air

ORIGINAL: TruBlu02

beagle
Where did you end up on the CG range. Were you able to get 63mm?
I think it called for 2 1/2" and it ended up about 2 3/4" if my memory serves me correctly. Seemed like that would be workable. Saito may be lighter than some of the 2 strokes recommended.
beagle
Old 02-12-2011, 08:25 PM
TruBlu02

I think it called for 2 1/2'' and it ended up about 2 3/4'' if my memory serves me correctly. Seemed like that would be workable. Saito may be lighter than some of the 2 strokes recommended.
beagle
Yeah mine ended up behind the 2 1/2" mark as well but since it was well within the specs from GP I wasnt to worried about it. There has been some debate in this thread about CG on this plane and it seems to me that it really depends on what you like. I prefer slower three point landings and lower stall speeds. Some guys like the extra stability of a more forward CG. The Escapade really likes to bounce on touching down so I like to get it as slow as possible before I put those wheels down.

Anyways, good luck with the maiden. Report back after you fly it. I am curious how well it will fly with the Saito.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Warren

Did the maiden today (three flights in all).

Real honest airframe and lot's of power with the 55AX.

Knife edge is nice - Very little interaction if you are sure to get it to a solid 90 degrees so no mixing is required.

Spins pretty well. I have the balance point at 2.5 inches back and just a touch of down elevator is needed for level inverted (just how I like it).

Real decent multi-point, slow rolls and rolling circles. Not pattern quality but solid for a sport ship. Just a little sloppier than the good old Kaos or Ultra Sport.

She definitely is a sinker on final and high rates are needed on landing to make full use of the wing.

Fun little airplane!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:36 PM
hairy46

Good to hear Warren, sounds like a keeper!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.