Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 63 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 1744

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

ORIGINAL: DGeorge

Speaking of aileron control rods, mine came loose inside the wing after some time. I had to convert to dual aileron control even though I preferred the single aileron servo method.
    UPS dropped mine off today. The control rod in my right wing was loose right out of the box. It pops in and out of place, and the aileron itself was poorly hinged, way off center, so much that there is a lot of pressure between the end of the aileron and the wing. Should I call Tower or GP? I think I read somewhere in this thread that somebody was sent a wing half without having to even ship back the original defect.
    Whomever you call, do it quick...we are running out of flying season. That's a bummer about the wing though. I can't believe it passed the tight Great Planes QC .

Yup, bummer indeed, especially when I opened the book and saw that the wing was the first step in puttingthe plane together.The first thing I asked myself was "man how did this piece make it past quality control?" Everything else seems to be solid and put together well. All the hinges are well glued, as well as the torque rod in the elevator. I had to iron out quite a few wrinkles and trouble spots in the covering, but that is to be expected.

I had originally planned toget it togetherfor a maiden flight this weekend, soIhope I can get this wing replaced without hassle so I can get her off the ground as soon as possible. In the mean time I might as well go forth with the fuse reinforcements and get the tail end all finished up and glued in with the Sullivan tail-wheel assembly, assuming everything lines up and falls into place.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

D

Speaking of aileron control rods, mine came loose inside the wing after some time. I had to convert to dual aileron control even though I preferred the single aileron servo method.
    UPS dropped mine off today. The control rod in my right wing was loose right out of the box. It pops in and out of place, and the aileron itself was poorly hinged, way off center, so much that there is a lot of pressure between the end of the aileron and the wing. Should I call Tower or GP? I think I read somewhere in this thread that somebody was sent a wing half without having to even ship back the original defect.
    Whomever you call, do it quick...we are running out of flying season. That's a bummer about the wing though. I can't believe it passed the tight Great Planes QC .

Yup, bummer indeed, especially when I opened the book and saw that the wing was the first step in puttingΒ*the plane together.Β*The first thing I asked myself was ''man how did this piece make it past quality control?'' Everything else seems to be solid and put together well. All the hinges are well glued, as well as the torque rod in the elevator. I had to iron out quite a few wrinkles and trouble spots in the covering, but that is to be expected.

I had originally planned toΒ*get it togetherΒ*for a maiden flight this weekend, soΒ*IΒ*hope I can get this wing replaced without hassle so I can get her off the ground as soon as possible. In the mean time I might as well go forth with the fuse reinforcements and get the tail end all finished up and glued in with the Sullivan tail-wheel assembly, assuming everything lines up and falls into place.

DGeorge............what do you mean by fuse re-enforcements???? I didn't notice any weak areas on my first Escapade and looked my new one over really well and don't see any problem spots. I had 8 months of flights on my first one before I planted it and had no troubles whatsoever. Tail end just bolts on so you don't need glue.

cheers,
    Andy
    AMA 16066

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I remember seeing in this thread someone that put a couple triangle gussets just rear of where the gear bolts come through the bottom. I thought it seemed like a good idea and is easy enough so I figure, why not? Several people here had issues with the tail coming loose and constantly having to re-tighten it so I think I'll just glue the whole thing down for piece of mind. I might end up with several ounces of added weight from extra epoxy and such, but better safe than sorry.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DGeorge, you can glue the tail if you want to. But I just used Locktite and it hasn't come loose in 2 years. Also, not having it glued came in handy when I crashed and destroyed the fuselage 2 years ago. I just unbolted the tail and re-used it and the wings on a new fuse. JMO.
    Content, but not Complacent.

I just bolted on the tail assembly on the Escapade and have had no problems in the three seasons I have been flying it.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Escapade was landing too fast so I took off all the weight that I had added to the nose (9 ounces). Now the plane is extremely tail heavy as per the CG machine (2.5” from leading edge) but at the field, she is flying like a bird and landing in much slower speed. So that CG that the Chinese or Vietnamese builder was WRONG.

I also replaced the flimsy tail wheel, so I don’t have to fix a wheel after each landing.

Now, my only question is the roll. My rolls are slow while the Escapade on the flight simulator allows me to do very fast rolls. I have a plain vanilla FM radio so I may have to re-adjust the rods on the servos to give the ailerons more throw. I am a beginner (6 months flying, 5 gallons of fuel under my belt) what is the best throw I should have on the ailerons without making the plane too responsive.  Thanks.

What\'\'s rudder?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just an update about my defected wing. After describing the issue the rep tried to poke around the issue as if there wasn't one, as if I didn't have a perfectly fine left wing to compare this garbage to. I was finally told to email pictures and a description of the problem and that the process would start from there (is that not why I called? to speed up the process by bypassing a potential e-mail fiasco?). It isn't worth the time or effort to be givena possible multi-week run around, just to get a significant piece of the plane replaced which is clearly not built to spec. Very dissappointed, as this is my first and last purchaseof a GP aircraft.

Does anyone want to buy a 1-day old unboxed Escapade 40 in need of a replacement wing?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DGeorge,

Sorry about your problems with Tower. I have been buying from them since 1995 and have never had a problem getting GREAT customer service. You might try calling again and you might get a different rep.........or just ask for a supervisor.

Andy
    AMA 16066

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

DGeorge,

Sorry about your problems with Tower. I have been buying from them since 1995 and have never had a problem getting GREAT customer service. You might try calling again and you might get a different rep.........or just ask for a supervisor.

Andy
    I called Great Planes, not Tower.Maybe it's worth a call to them before I give in.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DGeorge........did you call the 217-398-8970 Ext 5 number?

I had one small piece missing in my ARF and a phone call and it's on it's way.....no questions.....they can see where you bought it and when.j

Cheers,
    Andy
    AMA 16066

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DGeorge........did you call the 217-398-8970 Ext 5 number?

I had one small piece missing in my ARF and a phone call and it's on it's way.....no questions.....they can see where you bought it and when.j

Cheers,
    Andy
    I went ahead and sent an email with a photo description of the aileron issue (the control rod issue really can't be captured with a photo), and then called using Ext. 5.The gentleman I spoke to actually saw my e-mail and confirmed that he recognized the issue. He said he would forward itto the "aircraft guy" who is probably the original fellow I spoke to in the first place.

I hate to flame, but I'd expect that if I'm sold a C-rated product by a large reputible company that they would compensate with A-rated service (which many have claimed to receive). It has definately not been a "no questions asked" situation in my specific case, but I haven't been denied a replacement as of yet, so my hopes are up. My issue probably isn't one they hear about a dozen times everyday so I can understand their need to probe deeper.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well after a long inverted flat spin my Escapade departed for a better place. RIP....................
    Maybe I'll buid another one............

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

While I've been waiting for my replacement wing I went ahead and finished up everything else except for battery placement. There aren't many options, but hopefully I can balance the bird properly with the battery so I don't have to add additional weight. It seems most have found that initially balancing the plane per the books recommendation (2.5" from leading edge) has provided less than desirable flight characteristics, and when removing all theadded weight, though more tail-heavy,they found the plane more enjoyable to fly, and landings to be slower.

Is thispurely a CG issue, oran exampleofthe plane being overweighted after all thelead added to get the CG at 2.5"?A combination of both, maybe?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After I flew my Escapade for the first couple of times (it balanced with no weight whatsoever) I found that I was having to hold too much up elevator to make landings. I added about 3/4oz of weight to the tail and it was perfect. I think with this plane you need it a tad (not much) tail heavy to be most enjoyable.
    AMA 16066

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So, very slightly tail heavy at 2.5 inches from the leading edge? I decided that I'm going to maiden the plane with an OS .52S that I already had. I probablywon't have the power to spare for additional lead, soI'm hoping mine balances without weight too.

Wouldyouhappen to know the overall weight without fuel of yours?

After I flew my Escapade for the first couple of times (it balanced with no weight whatsoever) I found that I was having to hold too much up elevator to make landings. I added about 3/4oz of weight to the tail and it was perfect. I think with this plane you need it a tad (not much) tail heavy to be most enjoyable.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So, very slightly tail heavy at 2.5 inches from the leading edge? I decided that I'm going to maiden the plane with an OS .52S that I already had. I probablyΒ*won't have the power to spare for additional lead, soΒ*I'm hoping mine balances without weight too.

WouldΒ*youΒ*happen to know the overall weight without fuel of yours?

Sorry no............my first one is just a memory......(builder's mistake as mentioned earlier in this thread)..........and I haven't quite gotten my current one finished but when I have it done I'll let you know. I have almost all the same gear in it so should be close to the first.
    AMA 16066

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine following the CG of 2.5" of the manual is not a tad tail heavy, it is VERY tail heavy.
    But like I said earlier in the thread, it flies much better and lands nicer since I took off the nose weights.

What\'\'s rudder?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harry, Your Escapade is not tail heavy, its still nose heavy. You've just accepted that the CG is actually further back than the manual wants it. the Manual is wrong.

Before I trashed my Escapade I had the C back at 3inches from the LE and its was just slightly still nose heavy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do the builders of those planes visit sites like this?
    Do they listen to their customers, those who actually fly those planes?
    I would think the first batch of planes, but then they could change one number in their manual and VOILA!
    In oher industries this is part of something called marketing.

know it's a hundred-dollar plane, but it does not cost much to correct a simple mistake.
    What\'\'s rudder?

Hey guys, I have been flying the Escapade 40 for three years and have the CG at the instruction's recommended place. I do not find the plane nose heavy at that location and it flies great as is. I did not need to add extra weight to get it to balance there. All I did was place the battery over the fuel tank, that is with a Magnum .46 RLS in the nose.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also placed my battery over the fuel tank and I have an OS46 placed at the recommended location.
    I think that not all Escapades are made at the same place under the same QC rules.
    I think that some are built by chinese, others by Vietnamese.
    Mine was definetly landing way too fast and the nose heavy was the problem
    What\'\'s rudder?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Build from a kit and you won't have these QC problems to worry about.
    Gold Wing Su-26m/DLE-30, Twist 60/Saito 1.15, Airtronics 2.4 Ghz SD-10G.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mschulz531

Build from a kit and you won't have these QC problems to worry about.Β*
    Yep, then you only have yourself to blame when the plane fails.
    Content, but not Complacent.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My first plane was a kit. It took me 80 hours to build it, and the job was not that good.

That’s the problem with kits. First, if you are not handy, you are not guaranteed to do a good job, then spending so much time building it makes you nervous flying it. The time put in it is more important than any money spent on an ARF. And then, I am not retired.

As much as I enjoy building, flying is more enjoyable to me.

I will continue to buy ARF built in Vietnam hoping mine is not that bad, but ranting when it’s bad J

What\'\'s rudder?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not retired either, and I still have young kids...but I find time to build (I have ARFs as well) during inclement weather or late at night to unwind from the day. You are correct when you say that it takes a certain amount of resolve to maiden a plane that you have taken so much time to build. I just wonder sometimes if the amount of time spent "putting together" and "strengthening/modifying" an ARF ends up making the time difference between an ARF and a kit less than most people think.
    Gold Wing Su-26m/DLE-30, Twist 60/Saito 1.15, Airtronics 2.4 Ghz SD-10G.

Page 63 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast