Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 66 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 1735

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Great idea! I'll do that too.

This is going to be an 80s pop plane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree, I am going to pick up some checkerboard pattern for them bottom of the wings and possibly some bright leading edge colors. My escapade just shipped and will be here on Friday! Got it from hobby warehouse and after using a coupon I got it for $88.00 shipped... hard to beat! I will be putting a TT Pro 46 on after giving it a nice long break in on my trainer. I had the trainer out on Sunday and was practicing landings for a good hour or two. I am afraid I am going to rip the wings off doing rolls and loops, I can't wait to get the escapade up and running.

I know alot of people are fans of the stick aircraft for second planes and I know they are great models. BUT, I can never get over their funky looks. The Escapade is a fine Second airplane if set up correctly and is way better looking. I dont think any ball bearing 46 is to much for this plane. A little throttle control goes a long way. Another thing to consider is CG which has been mentioned many times in this thread. I have spent alot of time messing ith the CG of this plane and the reccomended CG is the primary cause of the hot landings with this plane. I am flying mine with an OS 55AX and an 11x6 prop and it lands as slow as my any trainer out there. I just have my CG moved all the way to the back of the reccomended range and it really has little to no effect on the rest of the flight envelope. I have taken mine well outside of the CG specified by great planes and this plane is very tolerant of all the abuse I have heaped on it.

Try to move the CG the back of the range and use a lower pitch prop and it should do a great deal to help slow it down. Another thing is to try a flatter final approach to let it blead off some airspeed before you get near the runway.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just to be clear, I'm not saying a .46 is too much for the plane, just that it depends on the pilot. For someone who was thinking about reverting to a trainer, a lighter, less powerful engine will certainly make it less of a handful. Just as flight surface controls can be too sensitive, so can throttle controls. A .40 LA will idle similarly to a .46 AX, but as you advance the throttle, the power increase is much more with the AX.

Weight makes a difference too...a lighter plane slows down quicker when you retard the throttle, which can be a relief if you suddenly get anxious. You can fly a little slower before you get near the stalling point. I have watched new pilots on their second or third planes careen around the field barely in control. It's not fun for the pilot and certainly not for anyone else at the field. Sometimes just a lighter, less powerful engine can help.

For anyone who loves power and speed, and can fly safely with it, they won't get any objection from me.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nice plane with bolt on tail, easy assembly. got mine from tower hobbies 98.00 free shipping at the time. flies good lands good. change the tail wheel ,it's cheap. had an os .61 fs in mine. only problem i put a orange 2.4 rx in it from hobbyking. three flights later it went down. no control at all. needless to say,stay away from anything from hobbyking,except maybe li-po batteries, or learn your lesson the hard way. i have four spektrum rx's in my other planes all nitro powered going on two years now........no problems at all..........nuff said.........GEETER

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry to hear that Geeter. I was going to use a clone rx in mine, but I opted to shell out the cash and get the AR6200 with the satellite. Didn't seem to help any as I lost signal anyway.

I am using the Orange Rx in mine right now. It is the Futaba version and it has great reviews on the HK website. I have about 20 flights on it so far without a single glitch. We shall see. I am using the Escapade as a guinea pig for these rx's to see if they are worth it. Who knows.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: _Tommy D

ORIGINAL: RealViking

Questions on canopy; What type of paint did you use? Did you paint the inside or outside?
    Thanks for the kind words.

Lazy as could be I masked the OUTSIDE and sprayed it with Tamiya silver leaf. Heck the Pilot is even still in there!

Tommy D
    instrument flying!!
    HAWKS

Well bad news gents. I splattered my poor Escapade all over the countryside this morning. Still not 100% sure why it happened though. On my second flight of the day i was making a full throttle downwind pass. At the end of the field i started my turn, but right as I rolled into the turn I lost control of the plane. All the elctronics went dead. The plane went into the tree line and hit the ground almost vertical at full throttle. It was a pretty big mess when i found it. Everything was destroyed except the motor. The only thing I can figure is either the battery got disconnected somehow or the the reciever failed. The battery tested good right after the crash so it didnt fail but all control was lost. I was using the OrangeRx receiver for my Futaba 7C so it could have failed. I will never really know.

On the upside I already ordered a new one!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl29413.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	304.5 KB 
ID:	1648911  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry to hear that Tru Did you ever get another?

I got my second Escapade today after going to a flyin last weekend and seeing an Escapade with a tuned pipe do some things that I didn't think this $108 airframe could be capable of. I even asked the owner if he made any special modifications; all he did was beef up the landing gear mount a little with some epoxy. He did however say it was his 5th one...

So I got mine and yet again the wings are busted. This time I got the "Friday afternoon" kit - the one where the guy wanted to get home and rushed it. Props to Tower Hobbies on coming through for me with replacement wings again (the originals were all hinged so badly and warped that the plane would've turned into a corkscrew) and their fantastic customer service will keep me coming back - although next time it won't be for an Escapade.

I plan on covering the replacement wings with some black monokote stripes and checks to help me see it in the air, and I'm going to mount the engine last this time to make sure I don't have to add any weight. 

I am waiting on my new to show sometime today. I will probably stay up late tonight till it is done!

I am also planning on running a tuned pipe this time on my Escapade. I am looking at a Jett Muffler for my 55AX. It was fast already with the 55AX but I am hoping to squeeze out a few more mph's out of it. It clocked at 108mph with the Tower Hobbies pipe but it got destroyed in the crash so I am going a different route this time. I am using all digital servos as well on a 6 volt system and using heavier linkages for less slop on the controls. The Escapade is a very capaple aircraft and has continued to suprise me with its overall flight envelope. I pushed mine pretty hard and it always came back for more. Well, almost always!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm running a 46AX and it's plenty fast enough for me even with the stock muffler. I am currently using Futuba S3004 servos but I'm considering upgrading to something digital. Any recommendations? I have a DX8 and either an AR6100 or an AR8000.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Escapade try 2. It will be powered by a 55ax with a GMSmuffler. I know it will not be a rocket but it will hang with my Decathlon powered by a 52 magnum fs. Still debating between one or two aileron servos..........

ORIGINAL: frivera12

Escapade try 2. It will be powered by a 55ax with a GMSΒ*muffler. I know it will not be a rocket but it will hang with my Decathlon powered by a 52 magnum fs[img][/img]. Still debating between one or two aileron servos..........

The GMS muffler is the same as the Tower Muffler that I was running on my last Escapade. I was using a 55AX as well and mine was clocked at 108mph in straght and level flight. I was using a Evolution 11x6 prop. Thats pretty fast for me at least!

Allright version number 2 is ready to go! I just finished getting her built this afternoon and hope to do the maiden this weekend sometime. I am only waiting on the Jett tuned muffler to arrive. Should be a screamer! [8D]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt58507.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	422.4 KB 
ID:	1653741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt61127.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	309.5 KB 
ID:	1653742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xc78605.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	293.1 KB 
ID:	1653743  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Grats mate. I actually picked up a used 55AX for mine so the 46 can go in the trainer. Hard to pass up a basically brand-new engine for $65!

GL with the maiden. Hope you're not on any painkillers when you fly I know from experience that when I had my surgery and tried playing golf when I was on vicodin turned into an interesting experience.

ORIGINAL: irdabrit

Grats mate. I actually picked up a used 55AX for mine so the 46 can go in the trainer. Hard to pass up a basically brand-new engine for $65!

GL with the maiden. Hope you're not on any painkillers when you fly I know from experience that when I had my surgery and tried playing golf when I was on vicodin turned into an interestingΒ*experience.

Nope no pain killers for me! I was off them the next day but I am still popping motrin all day cause my jaw still hurts. [&:]

I think you will love the 55AX on this plane. Try a 11x6 prop with the 55. I am using the Evolution version and I love it plus it looks cool!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will if I ever get it finished! So many projects right now (and stuff around the house) there's not enough hours in the day.

ORIGINAL: irdabrit

I will if I ever get it finished! So many projects right now (and stuff around the house) there's not enough hours in the day.

I hear ya man! I work on my planes mostly at night when the kiddos go to bed. I like to stay up late anyways so i can get alot more done when it is quiet. What else do you have left for your build?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Engine has to go in (arrived today), and throttle plate/servo. Wing is done, rear is done and so are the servos. I guess it's just the engine, linkage, servo and plate and then the wiring harness, battery warner, switch harness and making everything neat.

If i stay up late tonight I should be able to get it done. I also got the new wings and added some black monokote checks and stripes to them underneath to aid my terrible vision. Oh, and I have to mount the Rx but that takes a few minutes to find a good spot for the satellite. 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TruBlu02

Allright version number 2 is ready to go! I just finished getting her built this afternoon and hope to do the maiden this weekend sometime. I am only waiting on the Jett tuned muffler to arrive. Should be a screamer! [8D]
    TruBlu, so you opted for the single aileron servo (judging from your picture).
    Content, but not Complacent.

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

ORIGINAL: TruBlu02

TruBlu, so you opted for the single aileron servo (judging from your picture).
    Yeah I just think it looks better than the dual servo route. Plus I really didnt see the need for dual servos. The only advantge I can see is the ability to use flaperons but I dont really ever use them anyways. I am using all digital servos so I am not to worried about a failure.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Escapade is still in the box...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: frivera12

My Escapade is still in the box...[img][/img]
    That's the best way to preserve it longer. If you fly it, it will wear out quicker.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ripped out the L/G off my Escapade last weekend. It is the 3rd time it happened. The landing gear block is cracked in half because of the 2-piece landing gear puts a bending motion on the center of the mounting block. I'm going to carve out a new block and am thinking of buying a one-piece landing gear. I don't like the 2-piece L/G. All my planes pre-date the 2-piece craze or I converted over to 1-piece L/G.

Page 66 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast