Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Old 08-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Tom Nied

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Yep. From the very beginning there was always some guy who wanted or did overpower the 40 Escapade. If you really want to do it, go ahead. For me, I think trying to get enough power without being crazy is where I would want to be. But that's just my opinion and I haven't put mine together yet. I plan on using a Magnum XLS 46. Should be plenty of power.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:43 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom, I have been flying my Escapade 40 with a Magnum XLS 46 for four years and it is plenty of power.

Bruce
Old 08-18-2012, 04:43 AM
road_rascal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How fast would you consider 'high speed' for the Escapade? I've clocked mine at 98mph (running electric) and it's rock solid.

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

The Epade is known for having difficulties with high speed flutter so pushing the speed is done with caution.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:19 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps yours has had the mods to prevent flutter? Or maybe you got one of the better ones. Mine fluttered with an Irvine 53 using an 11X7 prop. No damage but it did get my attention. And I had made mods to stop flutter.
I am not being critical of the Epade it is one of my favorite planes but it has its limitations.
In fact I am leaving just now to go fly it.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:37 AM
jeffie8696

So, what happened to this thread? I am happy to report that I have literally nearly flown the wheels off my Epade and it is still fantastic. I have tried several engines and so far my favorite is the four stroke 52. It currently has an old Super Tigre 40 which does a good job too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140507_145012.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	1993521  
Old 05-08-2014, 05:01 PM
bhady

I've powered mine with Super tiger 40 and 45 engines, and an OS 70 surpass. The Super Tiger 45 was my favorite, and fastest, clocked on radar 105.
bhady
Old 05-09-2014, 07:52 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What's with the bolt holding the fuse sides together? Is that needed?

Jerry

Originally Posted by jeffie8696
So, what happened to this thread? I am happy to report that I have literally nearly flown the wheels off my Epade and it is still fantastic. I have tried several engines and so far my favorite is the four stroke 52. It currently has an old Super Tigre 40 which does a good job too.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:21 AM
jeffie8696

I needed a little nose weight and at the same time it strengthens the cheeks so they don't vibrate. 2 birds
Old 05-10-2014, 03:56 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the tip! Just finishing one up now for my buddy.....gee, that thing went together fast!
Old 05-10-2014, 04:28 PM
jeffie8696

They certainly are a fast building plane and fly well too. Top value for my money.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Sloviper

Would saito 65 be enough for this plane? Also how does the canopy come?
Old 12-04-2014, 10:41 AM
jeffie8696

Plenty, mine flies well with a 52 four stroke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtBm...SXPIF7UE5LWLDw
Old 12-10-2014, 06:12 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Sloviper
Would saito 65 be enough for this plane? Also how does the canopy come?
The canopy is a plastic over lite-ply assembly. It slides on and latches with a magnet.

I also have run 5 different engines on it and plan on testing a sixth one next summer. I have not tried any 4-strokes yet because I would have to carve out the cowl cheeks for the needle valve. You don't need that for 2-strokds unless you use a remote needle. Mine is 6 years old and I've already had to do repairs and recovering, but still flies great.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:46 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

And now , for something completely different , I present , , !!!! NAKED Escapade !!!!

This is my version of one of my favorite planes . It has a few small modifications that I incorporated in it's assembly such as ;

All control surfaces have full length mylar hinges to keep any air from becoming turbulent at the control surface . This is done in an attempt to eliminate flutter , which has not yet been seen in this model with the sealed hinges .

Tail surfaces are glued on , after regluing the infamous not well glued elevator joiner rod , mine is one of the first sold and did have the improperly glued joiner . I was just lucky to be a few months lazy getting it done and by then the problem was widely known , see , procrastination ain't ALL bad

I removed all stickers and replaced them with my AMA number . Looks somewhat cleaner in my opinion .

No pilot cause my running joke is that "It's MY seat , why would I let some other guy sit there ?"

On board glow cause I'm lazy and don't like fiddling around with glow sticks . Flick a switch on the TX , Flip the prop , and fly

I always favor wood props and real metal spinners , OK , call me old fashioned but plastic just don't do it for me , prop and spinner wise .

Anyway , I tried to give a close up of the needle valve and that in this particular instance with an OS 56 FSa , no carving of the cheeks was needed (OUCH !!! Sounds flippin painful !)

Last edited by init4fun; 12-10-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:59 AM
hsukaria

Very clean!!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:01 AM
hsukaria

By the way, is this thread also including the newer Escapade MX, or is there a separate thread for that?
Old 12-10-2014, 08:16 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Thank you hsukaria , and in my opinion , any talk of any kind of Escapade oughta be ok , course I am not any kinds of "thread purist" and consider ALL plane talk worthy of being printed

A couple of things i forgot to mention were that I went with nylon bolts on the landing gear as well as a decent set of DuBro rubber wheels . I also went with the optional two servo setup on the Ailerons rather than the single . I realize it's twice the weight , but with the sealed hinges one servo seemed to be slower in full left to full right stick maneuvers than the dual servos are . Even with the on board glow I still came out a tiny bit tail heavy and chose to add extra nose weight in the form of a brushed on coating of thinned down epoxy to all exposed wood of the firewall and cheeks . I do this to every glow or gas ARF I have and have not lost one yet to the dreaded "firewall mush" that unprotected wood turns into after being soaked in fuel for a while .
Old 12-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Tom Nied

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It needs some decals.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:23 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by init4fun
Thank you hsukaria , and in my opinion , any talk of any kind of Escapade oughta be ok , course I am not any kinds of "thread purist" and consider ALL plane talk worthy of being printed

A couple of things i forgot to mention were that I went with nylon bolts on the landing gear as well as a decent set of DuBro rubber wheels . I also went with the optional two servo setup on the Ailerons rather than the single . I realize it's twice the weight , but with the sealed hinges one servo seemed to be slower in full left to full right stick maneuvers than the dual servos are . Even with the on board glow I still came out a tiny bit tail heavy and chose to add extra nose weight in the form of a brushed on coating of thinned down epoxy to all exposed wood of the firewall and cheeks . I do this to every glow or gas ARF I have and have not lost one yet to the dreaded "firewall mush" that unprotected wood turns into after being soaked in fuel for a while .
Great thing about the thinned epoxy. I ended up having to repair the nose of my Escapade and went ahead and brushed the insides with thinned epoxy. I brushed Balsarite on the outside before recovering to seal and improve covering adhesion. Just watch out for the cowl cheeks flexing/vibrating, it will weaken the firewall glue joints. My firewall glue joints actually cracked due to the cheek vibration. I reglued with balsa tri-stock and added a piece of wood below the engine (same idea as Jeffie's bolt).
Old 01-29-2015, 12:43 PM
Sloviper

Originally Posted by init4fun
And now , for something completely different , I present , , !!!! NAKED Escapade !!!!

This is my version of one of my favorite planes . It has a few small modifications that I incorporated in it's assembly such as ;

All control surfaces have full length mylar hinges to keep any air from becoming turbulent at the control surface . This is done in an attempt to eliminate flutter , which has not yet been seen in this model with the sealed hinges .

Tail surfaces are glued on , after regluing the infamous not well glued elevator joiner rod , mine is one of the first sold and did have the improperly glued joiner . I was just lucky to be a few months lazy getting it done and by then the problem was widely known , see , procrastination ain't ALL bad

I removed all stickers and replaced them with my AMA number . Looks somewhat cleaner in my opinion .

No pilot cause my running joke is that "It's MY seat , why would I let some other guy sit there ?"

On board glow cause I'm lazy and don't like fiddling around with glow sticks . Flick a switch on the TX , Flip the prop , and fly

I always favor wood props and real metal spinners , OK , call me old fashioned but plastic just don't do it for me , prop and spinner wise .

Anyway , I tried to give a close up of the needle valve and that in this particular instance with an OS 56 FSa , no carving of the cheeks was needed (OUCH !!! Sounds flippin painful !)

Vey nice and clean thats what im doing with mine. No stickers at all. How does it fly with with the OS, im waiting for nice and warmer weather so i can maiden mine.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:04 PM
jeffie8696

I would like to try the new MX but I have so many planes now ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 01-29-2015, 05:24 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by jeffie8696
I would like to try the new MX but I have so many planes now ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
me too.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:57 PM
jeffie8696

My Epade 40 died in a spectacular fashion during the air show. I even received an award for most spectacular air show crash with it. It had hundreds of flights on it and was being used for the combat event. Went in at over 100 mph. It was a patched up fuel soaked mess so no tears were shed.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:46 AM
hsukaria

Checkout the latest Escapade: http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../gpma1210.html
Old 04-01-2015, 02:43 PM
vicrider

I just bought an escapade .40 ( along with the new 30cc escapade) going to use an old fp .40 I have laying around. Has anybody here who has glued on the tail section removed the screws and nuts that are used to attach the tail to the fuse? I ask cause of all that have had to add nose weight. I Plan on trashing that stuff, also the stock tailwheel assy with a standard .40 size dubro unit. Also the push rod and outer sleave that operate the stock tail wheel will also be trashed. The O.S. FP .40 is light so im hoping that will go a long way in preventing or atleast reducing the amount of nose weight. Also the servos I will be using are hyperion 16 gram digital servos. They have approx. the same amount of torque as a standard futaba 3004 but they are twice as fast and they are also a lot lighter. Using 5 of the hyperion servos vs 5 futaba servos I will save more then 4 oz, all of that behind the cg. Also it looks as though I can raise the fuel tank floor enough to add a 5 cell hump pack on its sides under it just behind the firewall. Starting on it today, Should be done tomorrow then I can start on the 30cc escapade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.