Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Vmar Models

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Vmar Models

Old 12-21-2001, 01:25 AM
flyman1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vmar Models

SAW THEIR AD FOR THEIR T6-A11. LOOKS INTERESTING, I HAVNT HAD MUCH EXPERINCE WITH ARFS, AND I DON;T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT VMAR MODELS. WOULD LIKE ANY COMMENT PRO OR CON THANKS
LEN LOGUN
Old 12-23-2001, 02:06 PM
cascar38

Default Vmar Models

V-MAR Arf's seem to be all over the place. Some are great, most are marginal and some are terrible. I wouldn't buy one unless I saw it first-hand.

dj
Old 12-23-2001, 06:29 PM
Miniair

Default VMAR

Originally posted by cascar38
V-MAR Arf's seem to be all over the place. Some are great, most are marginal and some are terrible. I wouldn't buy one unless I saw it first-hand.

dj
They are around just like all the others.

Every ARF I've seen and I've seen just about all of them have both good and bad points. Allot depends on the person but I'll bet that just about every one has something that they would change or tweak if they were building it. I know I've changed, modified or just plain repaired afr's prior to final assembly.

On a whole the VMAR ARF's will stand up against the best of them and in allot of case are just a little better.

Take a look at the giant ARF's and see if they are any better than the smaller stuff at 2-4 times the price and I think you'll have to admit that they aren't.
Old 12-24-2001, 01:26 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Default Vmar Models

I have built the P-51 and was happy with the quality. I had to buy a new spinner and the hardware was not great, but the model looks very nice. Have not flown it yet but it looks to be a stable design. I also have the AT-6, it is not as nice as the 51, the stabs are two piece and attach with dowel pins from the side. The P-51 was a one piece and a good construction on the stab. Would I buy another, don't know, it seems like there are a lot of arf's coming out and the prices seem to be coming down on them.
Old 12-24-2001, 08:49 PM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default Vmar

I just finished this T-34. VMAR ARF.
I modified it to accept a Saito 56 4/s and a 3 bladed 11X7.
I have yet to fly due to weather.
Was not real proud of the instructions.
It was like being dropped out in Times Square Fresh from Po-Dunk!
The site Richmondrc.com ...you can see the models available, and see the mods I made on the T-34 by Quint.
The paint is rather cheesy, It comes with fake struts, pilots, and all accessories. (even patch up material).
I put on a fuel dot, and remote glow for accessability.
The airplane looks really sharp, and reports are its a *****cat to fly. Need any help just mail me.

Fivesquare
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	299_382.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	883  
Old 12-24-2001, 09:34 PM
flyman1

Default vmar models

RE 5 SQUARE.
dont check into the clinic, you can do it cold turkey,

thanks for the replys --- guys after reading them and doing some reseach, i dont think that vmar models are for me. if i go the arf route , the world models look promiseing.

thanks len
Old 12-30-2001, 03:40 PM
cascar38

Default Vmar Models

All of the Kyosho Arfs I've seen are very good quality but yes, IMHO you can't beat World Models for mass produced Arfs.

dj
Old 12-31-2001, 03:02 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Default World Models!

I also suggest looking at World Models ARFs. If they have the plane you want then I say go for it. If they don't have it, then some serious research is needed. I have the World Models P-51 and the construction is excellent.
Old 12-31-2001, 11:13 PM
cascar38

Default Vmar Models

Maverick: I have the P-51 as well but haven't had time to get to it yet. Did you use a retract servo for the retracts or can I get away with a standard one. The retract servos are sure expensive.

dj
Old 01-01-2002, 12:16 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Default Vmar Models

cascar38,

I did a lot of research on which servo to use for the retracts. I was told by a number of people that a standard servo could be used, but I was also told by the distributor, Airborne Models, that I would need a proper 180 degree retract servo.

When I got the plane I read the instructions and guess what, the distributor was correct. It calls for a proper 180 degree retract servo.

So I ended up using a Futaba S136G Compact Retract Servo which cost me $60. Sure it wasn't cheap, but better to use the correct pieces than to smoke a standard servo and have to belly land the thing.

The only problem I had with the Futaba retract servo is that it was slightly longer than the distance between the two balsa mounts inside the wing. I had to use my dremel and open up the distance between them to allow the servo to fit. Then I cut a servo mount out of thin ply to re-inforce the area I had cut away.

It might pay to pull out your wing and measure the distance and make sure whatever servo you buy is going to fit.

It wasn't a big deal but it was something I shouldn't have had to do.

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2002, 12:16 PM
souslin-RCU

Default Vmar Models

Our club had two of the Texans. They were short lived. On anything less than perfect landings, the fuselages broke in two right behind the cockpit. They used 3/16" stringers and they stopped just short of the cockpit. They said they had not received any complaints on them yet. I also had their Cap 231. It was a little better built.
Old 01-09-2002, 03:21 AM
georgehere

Default VMar ARFs

About a year ago I ordered an Extra 300L from Vmar and put a ST45 in the plane(my first taildragger). With the cowl, had to work out the external fueling for one. And didn't know to put minimum travel in the tail wheel, so it ground-looped with too much throttle. On first look, it seemed to be short of enough wing chord, and was tapered as well, so I expected to make fast approaches and landings. Made several flights to get the hang of it and every one caused severely elevated pulse rate. It just fell out of the sky on two occasions, and after the second one, decided not to rebuild. Of course, I thought I took a hit(as we all do), but I think it was a tip stall in both cases. A good aerobatics guy would probably still be flying it. I think airspeed is something you need to stay on top of with their design and I just didn't have the experience. Because I bought the Extra 300L, they offered me a 60 size Stik ARF for $39 so I got that too and am still flying it . Had to build a horiz stab for it as the original was seriously warped. This has become my utility plane for testing things and mounting cameras,etc. It's a little heavy, but easy to fly. Seems you already made your choice, but thought I would enter this for others interested. Reading this forum answered my question about World Models. Looking for a Spitfire(gonna try another taildragger).
Old 01-09-2002, 03:32 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default George..RE:

George...I think you have nailed the problem...VMAR (Unles you modify) is laking in quality....I spent several dollars to bring my T-34 up to the specs I demand....The money I saved???? NONE
The t-6's breaking in half.....We know that is not supposed to happen....I am worried about their market.....It will become history.
I will never buy another one of their kits!
Old 01-09-2002, 06:53 AM
georgehere

Default VMar ARFs

Fivesquare....Doesn't surprise me the T6 broke in half. I failed to mention, if you look inside the fuse, I guess that's supposed to be balsa, but the poorest grade ever. I hear they are built in Viet Nam with cheap labor. I found myself adding CA to a lot of joints.
The RC flyers should know about VMar.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:01 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Default Vmar Models

I did the review for the VMAR T-34 that they have posted on their site. I also built (and rebuilt) their P-51 and 60 sized Beaver. After living with these planes a while I agree with all the previous posters. Had to recover and repair the bad workmanship along with a canopy that just plain broke apart on the T-34 and the P-51.

After extensive modifications and complete recovering (man, does that shelf paper junk leave a glue film that's tough to remove) the planes look good again. Kelsey Spring, the VMAR owner is a great guy and I wish him well, but I'm back to World Models for ARFs and wont try a VMAR until he get s some decent wood, workmanship and coverings that won't melt away if you touch them with an iron.

It's a shame because they look good for a while and fly just great.

quint
Old 06-19-2002, 03:34 PM
guntop

Default VMAR p51

I had the p51. Good plane. Flew well but the covering was not good. on hot days the wing covering would wrinkle. ALmost felt like paper was wrapped around the wings
Old 06-19-2002, 11:26 PM
Miniair

Default Re: VMAR p51

Originally posted by guntop
I had the p51. Good plane. Flew well but the covering was not good. on hot days the wing covering would wrinkle. ALmost felt like paper was wrapped around the wings
The covering is called Sure Seal and is made in Germany, it isn't shelf paper.

Any ways the new Vmar kits are coming out with a covering that is made in Canada and actually is clear; the graphics will be printed on the under side thus you won't be able to hurt them like you can on most of the ARF's that are out there now.

Also the production and quality control have been upgraded to help produce a better model and more designs are being released this year.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:34 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Default Vmar Models

I've had some experience with VMAR's Sure Seal covering and it still has many shortcomings such as color fading in sunlight. As a low temperature, adhesive backed product, it does poorly when you try to take out a wrinkle with an iron (a heat gun will pull the seams and burn through very easily). His supplier does not employ Ultracote (Oracover) which is also a German based product in order to have printed panel lines, hence the low temperature material. As to the 'shelf paper' title, it's just a derogatory designation applied to self-adhesive, low temperature films that sag in the sun and lack the film proprieties of Ultracote or Monokote.

The planes are out of the Vietnam area where there seems to be a shortage of good quality balsa. The material used is more like a light basswood consistency. (a quote from a past conversation was that he had to use what was available there) Quality has improved somewhat, but a recent (received three week ago) ARF was still very poor. Alas you CAN get a good one, but there is no consistency like say World Models has. Kelsey is super good for customer service and it's a shame he's chosen those particular builders for what are very good looking planes.

I still enjoy my VMAR T-34 and P-51, but both have gotten a full repair and recover job with some wood replacement. By the way, the plastic is thin, cheap and rubbery too. Some fiberglass would be nice.

quint
Old 06-25-2002, 01:25 PM
ghenson
My Feedback: (68)

Default Vmar Models

My two cents:

I have been flying the 40 sized cap 231ex for about two years now. Its a snappy little flyer
and is right at home tumbling. Its a little pitch sensitive and you have to correct in knife edge.
The plane is sturdy and well built. It is a good airplane for a pilot that wants
the elevated pulse rate referred to in an earlier post. By the way, the plane will do a few
3D manuevers-blender, waterfall, hover
Old 06-27-2002, 12:02 AM
propnut8

Default Vmar Models

My two cents,

There are a lot of good ARFs out there. In the last two
years I have built 14 of them from 5 manufacturers. Every
one has some shortcomings. None of the 6 VMARs were
perfect, but neither were any from the other companies.

Look at the pluses: VMAR have good looking designs others
don't offer. Canadian Chipmunk, Australian Pilatus PC-9, Texan II,
Harvard, Tucano, Mentor, DH Beaver in 3 sizes, and the new
Piper Tomahawk, and Van RV-4, plus the Mustang, and
Corsair. No other company matches such a complete line
of semi-scale planes. They also have a complete line of
trainers and sport designs.

Each model is more completely assembled than any other
ARF. The finishes have very detailed markings, The surfaces
are hinged and pinned, the push rods are installed, pilots are
supplied and installed, the canopies are installed, adjustable
servo trays that need no drilling are supplied.

The new ECS covering is gorgeous! I have the new Cessna 182
with the GMS 61 ringed engine. Where else can you get a combo
price as low as offered by Richmond RC? And It flies like a
dream. At first it was nose heavy, but I moved the batteries
back and now get the best aerobatics you can from a Cessna.

Every model I have seen, has a film that sags and wrinkles
from time to time. Usually it is prolonged exposure to hot
weather here in Florida. They all require a hot air gun to
tighten them up. Do not use an Iron, just a hot air gun and
don't get too close.

Now for the really good part. Every VMAR model I have
has flown extremely well. They fly straight and true, and
are very maneuverable.

I correct any warps, and make sure the tail surfaces are
glued on square and straight. A couple of times I had to
do some sanding and shimming. Two other famous brands
also have had bad stab openings cut. They also had to be
reworked to get the stabs level.

I am careful to get the engine mounted with the specified
thrust line, plus I add 2 degrees down thrust and 2 degrees
right thrust. Be careful here, and make the thrust line go
through the center of the cowl opening. Some of their thrust
line instructions are not correct. Also balance the model
carefully using their metric dimensions, as some of their
conversions to English are not accurate.

If you fly off of a paved runway, replace the wheels, as
the ones supplied are not round and do not roll smoothly.

My current favorite plane is the VMAR Texan II with the
GMS 120 ringed engine. It is a beautiful semi scale plane
with USAF colors that will perform as well as any aerobatic
model I have flown. It outperforms all of those ugly stick
types, and looks good at the same time.

I have both the new ECS Tomahawk, and Van RV-4
on order. They should be as beautiful as my Cessna,
and I know, because they are VMAR they will fly great.

To all those who have knocked VMAR, I recommend
you give them another look. Over the last 2 years every
new model has shown improvement and elimination
of earlier problems. The latest designs are unique plus
they look and fly great.

By George
Old 06-27-2002, 04:43 PM
flyman1

Default Vmar Models

PROPNUT
THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT, VMAR MUST HAVE GONE THROUGH A MAKE OVER------- FOR MY NEXT ARF , I CERTAINLY WILL CONSIDER THEM.
THANKS
LEN LOGUN
Old 06-27-2002, 08:57 PM
rvd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vmar Models

Some of the older vmar arfs were horrific!!!
My LHS has a few of the older arfs (harvard, chipmunk,at6) and MY GOD!! what a mess. I opened up the boxes and noticed sawdust all over the parts! LOL They forgot to mention in the instructions to vacuum the parts before you start to assemble them...

anyways awhile back I thought i would give them a chance and bought the cap231ex. It looked really nice and actually flew good too! The hardware was questionable so i changed the clevises and horns with all dubro stuff..
With a .46fx it flew nice (scale like) with a .61fx it flew good.
I got attached to it and started flying it every day. It's unbelievable how you can hooked on the cheapest plane in your hangar sometimes..
I let a buddy fly it because he bugged me to try it and.... well he thought you can fly a cap like you fly a bigstik and it snapped on him really bad and it ended up making a nice 10inch deep crater..
Damn! oh well.., it was a nice plane though.. I might even give vmar another chance and pickup another one..
Old 06-28-2002, 06:47 AM
Four_Stroker
My Feedback: (10)

Default VMAR

I just got the New Beaver. I saw one at our flying field and the guy loved it. It's a sharp plane and it seems to fly real well. Im getting back into RC after being away for about 20 years. These ARFs are heck of a lot better than the styrofoam ARFs that were around when I was flying before. I have the Beaver hidden away for next year. I figure I will crash my first couple of planes, and hopefully by that time I wont put my Beaver in.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:29 PM
rvd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vmar Models

Hey Four Stroker

When i read your post I couldn't help not to laugh..

It sounds like a guy i know at my club.. Putting a plane away till he gets used to the sticks...
I hope you enjoy the beav' it looks cool... I will be putting one together for a guy that i'm training right now. He's in love with that plane. Hopefully it flies like it looks..
Old 06-28-2002, 09:17 PM
Four_Stroker
My Feedback: (10)

Default Vmar Models

Which Beaver are you building RVD. The one I got is the yellow one with the 82 or so inch wing span.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.