Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

NEW Release: Sparrowhawk ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

NEW Release: Sparrowhawk ARF

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:47 PM
AncientCityFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NEW Release: Sparrowhawk ARF

Horizon Hobbies plus other retailers have just released a new ARF. By Seagull models.....Sparrowhawk 1.8 arf. Looks interesting. I like the color scheme of Red & Silver. 71" wing span, wt. at about 11 lbs. A 1.80 4 stroke sounds a little over powered to me. $299.99 Oh well, wait and see.
....ACF...
Old 11-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Delta3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW Release: Sparrowhawk ARF

There are two versions of this plane on the market one is a 120 FS size and the other is rated for a 200 FS or 26 cc gas. I had a look at one today and they are an impressive looking air craft. Need to save a few pennies before I get my name on one but just happen to have a 120 FS from OS sitting on the workbench. They should be very happy together.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:12 AM
mobyal

This really appeals to me, and generally I have been very pleased with H9/Horizon product. I sure have assembled/flown enough of them! But the "Seagull" part puts me off a bit. Anyone have any opinion, or can anyone tell me how they compare with the Horizon H9 ARFS?
TIA
Al
Old 11-07-2008, 12:58 PM
perche

i have the 62cc size still in the box. can post some pics tomorrow?

it looks high-endish
Old 11-07-2008, 01:02 PM
perche

ORIGINAL: Delta3

There are two versions of this plane on the market one is a 120 FS size and the other is rated for a 200 FS or 26 cc gas. I had a look at one today and they are an impressive looking air craft. Need to save a few pennies before I get my name on one but just happen to have a 120 FS from OS sitting on the workbench. They should be very happy together.

You mean 50-62cc gas?

Thomas
Old 11-08-2008, 07:24 AM
EZchopper

ORIGINAL: mobyal

This really appeals to me, and generally I have been very pleased with H9/Horizon product. I sure have assembled/flown enough of them! But the "Seagull" part puts me off a bit. Anyone have any opinion, or can anyone tell me how they compare with the Horizon H9 ARFS?
TIA
Al
I have half dozen Seagull kits and they've all been excellent
Build quality have been better than some top end kits. Supplied hardware more than adaquate for each plane
The only hardware I've changed is the spinner, which is all plastic and not recommended for 4 strokes
I also find the instructions as good if not better than H9, rather surprised some people find them thin on paper

I've had two Hanger9 kits, not really happy with either
The build quality and finish looked very patchy, worse than My first build
Had to upgrade the hardware on both of them, pushrods, horns very cheap and flexible
And very over priced compared to the Seagull kits

I haven't seen the Sparrowhark kits yet, so can't comment on them individually
I have the Seagull Extra 260 (160) and the Decathlon (40) waiting to be built, both kits look excellent
Old 11-08-2008, 03:08 PM
metros

Can anyone tell me where I could buy the 62cc size Sparrowhawk. I only see retailers listing the 26cc size.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:59 PM
perche

ORIGINAL: metros

Can anyone tell me where I could buy the 62cc size Sparrowhawk. I only see retailers listing the 26cc size.

Yes

http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.u...%20-%20Seagull

Thomas
Old 11-09-2008, 03:55 AM
metros

Thank You for the info perche. Do you or anyone else know if the 62cc size is stocked by a retailer in the USA
Old 11-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also agree, that the Quality from Seagull seams to be of a higher standard than H9 and the rest of them. They are not made in "China", but instead Vietnam. I have built the Harrier .90, and the workmanship really blew my socks off. I have in other instances built planes from H9, like the .60 Hellcat and, and helped alot with an expensive 1.50 size P-47 Thunderboldt, that was of extremely poor build quality.[X(] I have no fear of buying from Seagull, since they are one hell of a bargan compared to the over priced H9 and Great planes entries.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:05 AM
mobyal

Thanks for the info re Seagull. Not sure how much of a bargain this one is. It looks comparable to the H9 Pawnee, which is hands down the best ARF I've ever had, but is smaller and more expensive: 71" v. 80", and $300 compared to $279.
Still not sure I'll pull the trigger, but you all have relieved any concern I might have had re Seagull....
Al
Old 11-13-2008, 11:19 PM
mobyal

Ordered one today through my LHS. Should be here on Wednesday. Haven't yet decided on an engine; 1.20-1.60 2-stroke seems like a lot of engine for a 71" 10-12lb 4-channel airframe, so I want to take a good look at the thing before I decide. Have an EVO 1.0 sitting on the shelf looking for a home....
Old 11-15-2008, 04:48 PM
AncientCityFlyer

Mobyal, I see that you've ordered a Sparrowhawk. I've been seriously thinking of get one too. I went on-line to Atlanta Hobby and downloaded the pdf manual. The manual is very typical of the China/ Vietnam model companies. Mostly pictures and little good info. On the first page of the manual it says for engine size...1.60 2-stroke and 1.80 to 2.00 4 stroke???? Yikes, that even bigger than whats been advertised. Seems WAY too much power for that size airplane? Plus in the advertisements it mentions a 20-26 cc gasser but not in the manual. Looking at the manual it shows an O.S. 4 stroke inverted, using a strange looking muffler, and really carving up the cowl. I'm not to thrilled about doing that. I'm also wondering if a small gasser would even fit inside the cowling? The rest of the plane looks good. The model uses a pull-pull cable system for the rudder and dual elevator servo's which is good. The landing gear looks interesting also. Looks like a bit of a shock absorbing bend in the trailing link gear wire. All-in-all, it still looks pretty good. I'll be watching for your posts as you start to build. Mike (ACF)
Old 11-21-2008, 10:38 AM
mobyal

LHS called and the Sparrowhawk's in. I'll pick it up tomorrow and get it out of the box for a looksee. Anyone interested in pics?
Probably won't start on it for a while as I'm deep into my KMP FW190.
Al
Old 11-21-2008, 11:14 AM
AncientCityFlyer

Moybal, yes to the pics as you go with the build. I was hoping to get a Sparrowhawk shortly, but I pranged my Pulse 60 the other day and I'm in the re-build process right now. Not bad, but awhile before I get it back in the air.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:20 PM
checkmate91

A recent review of the Sparrowhawk in a UK mag, RCM&E (website [link=http://www.modelflying.co.uk/review/reviewProductReviews.asp?rpn=279&prod=Seagull-Models-Sparrow-Hawk-70"&rcn=4&rgn=1&sp=&v=1]www.modelflying.co.uk[/link]) thought very highly of this aircraft from both a build and flight perspective. It was perfectly adequate on a 1.20 FS engine apparently and "scale-like" in performance.

Regards,
Andy
Old 11-21-2008, 04:32 PM
metros

Still no mention of the sparrowhawks on the Seagull models site. I was wondering if the problem of the cowl not fitting well has been corrected
and will we be able to purchase the larger one in the states
Old 11-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Iflyglow

I have a YS 1.10 (S) that is currently looking for an inverted home. I reckon that it will fly it as well as a Saito 1.80.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Iflyglow

ORIGINAL: AncientCityFlyer

Mobyal, I see that you've ordered a Sparrowhawk. I've been seriously thinking of get one too. I went on-line to Atlanta Hobby and downloaded the pdf manual. The manual is very typical of the China/ Vietnam model companies. Mostly pictures and little good info. On the first page of the manual it says for engine size...1.60 2-stroke and 1.80 to 2.00 4 stroke???? Yikes, that even bigger than whats been advertised. Seems WAY too much power for that size airplane? Plus in the advertisements it mentions a 20-26 cc gasser but not in the manual. Looking at the manual it shows an O.S. 4 stroke inverted, using a strange looking muffler, and really carving up the cowl. I'm not to thrilled about doing that. I'm also wondering if a small gasser would even fit inside the cowling? The rest of the plane looks good. The model uses a pull-pull cable system for the rudder and dual elevator servo's which is good. The landing gear looks interesting also. Looks like a bit of a shock absorbing bend in the trailing link gear wire. All-in-all, it still looks pretty good. I'll be watching for your posts as you start to build. Mike (ACF)
The funky looking muffler would be the NEW OS four stroke muffler on an older OS 1.20. They are butt ugly to me.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:03 AM
mobyal

OK.
Went and picked up the Sparrowhawk today.
First impressions a pretty good job. But not sure it's $300 worth of good job.
Nice covering and construstion. At first look there was no shipping damage but on closer inspection there's damage in the area below where the horizontal stab mounts. Looks almost like someone pinched the sides together until the wood cracked. It won't be any trouble to fix. Probably some 1/16 ply and CA and about 20 minutes of time!
The airplane appears to be very well designed and fits together really well. Someone mentioned a cowl fit problem, but I sure don't see it at this point. As you'll see from the pics I'll post, it's really one sleek piece of work. But being a racing plane, I guess it should be, lol.
One thing that is clear to me though, is that htere is no way this thing will take a 1.60 2-cycle engine, or a 1.80 4 cycle. Those engines'll pull the airframe apart. In addition, the supplied motor mount won't even take a 1.60 or 1.80; it's too small. And the supplied screws and bolts won't hold them either. Plus the supplied hinges are CA type, and if I were going to use the size engine called for, I'd sure replace those w/ something heavier. I have an EVO 1.0 that I might try to fit when the time comes, but I'll probably go w/ something smaller than that.
Anyway, first impressions are good. Hopefully these pics'll come through.
Al

Well, RCU has decided that I can't post pics tonight. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:28 PM
mike early

ORIGINAL: mobyal

OK.
Went and picked up the Sparrowhawk today.
First impressions a pretty good job. But not sure it's $300 worth of good job.
Nice covering and construstion. At first look there was no shipping damage but on closer inspection there's damage in the area below where the horizontal stab mounts. Looks almost like someone pinched the sides together until the wood cracked. It won't be any trouble to fix. Probably some 1/16 ply and CA and about 20 minutes of time!
The airplane appears to be very well designed and fits together really well. Someone mentioned a cowl fit problem, but I sure don't see it at this point. As you'll see from the pics I'll post, it's really one sleek piece of work. But being a racing plane, I guess it should be, lol.
One thing that is clear to me though, is that htere is no way this thing will take a 1.60 2-cycle engine, or a 1.80 4 cycle. Those engines'll pull the airframe apart. In addition, the supplied motor mount won't even take a 1.60 or 1.80; it's too small. And the supplied screws and bolts won't hold them either. Plus the supplied hinges are CA type, and if I were going to use the size engine called for, I'd sure replace those w/ something heavier. I have an EVO 1.0 that I might try to fit when the time comes, but I'll probably go w/ something smaller than that.
Anyway, first impressions are good. Hopefully these pics'll come through.
Al

Well, RCU has decided that I can't post pics tonight. I'll try again tomorrow.

Whatever happened to your new plane? Did you fly it?
Old 05-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Hisham

Guys,
Any update regarding this plane ?
Am building one right now!
Thanks
Hisham
Old 05-28-2012, 11:44 AM
edpare

Beef up or replace the landing gear wires!  That Chinese steel is too soft.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:07 AM
telejojo

ORIGINAL: edpare

Beef up or replace the landing gear wires! That Chinese steel is too soft.
You are right the gear woobles into the skirts and causes all kind of problems
Old 06-01-2012, 03:40 AM
garywaters
My Feedback: (1)

Are you going Gas or E-Power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.