Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite AT6 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite AT6 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:27 PM
groundpounder17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite AT6 ARF

Sorry about that, it appears as though I uploaded the pics twice by mistake.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:01 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

groundpounder17;

That mod look sweet!!! You did a good job too!! Now to find a gear door and you will be set. About the wheelwell, iif you are good working with fiberglass than go for the patch. If not, than I would just clean and smooth up the area and fuel proof it!!! I do like the struts They look sweet. Like I said before, you did a good job!! Please keep the picture comming.

Sonny
Old 06-27-2009, 06:19 PM
swixtt

gp17, any idea on what the thread size is for the set screw on the axle? i lost one on mine and have no idea where to find one.

thanks
Old 06-27-2009, 07:12 PM
groundpounder17

Thanks for kind words Sonny, but I didn't get it as clean as I would have liked. I am really impressed with the robostruts. They centered very nicely in the gear wheelwell, but required quite a bit of fitting to get a decent fit for the strut themselves. I'm not sure if you can tell but I am also using Tom's retract cases. If you look at the pic with cylinder visible, you can see the square outline of the cases. I think that I will need to remove a little more of the wing rib here so that I can slip the down air line between the case and the wing rib. Sonny, is this similar in position to your down air line?

As mentioned earlier, the struts use a right and left trunion as opposed to a universal. This is because the fwd angle/sweep of the gear is accomplished through the trunions. Trimming the nylon/glass housing is required to accept the strut with the fwd sweeping trunion. Below is a photo that shows how I had to trim the nylon housing. What's your opinions on what material and thickness should be used to make the doors? Anyone have a good idea of what can be used to connect the doors to the struts? About the glass, I have to admit that I have little experience with fiberglass but am willing to try because it looks a too rough for my liking. Does anyone have any advise or tips on how I might patch and shape this?

Old 06-27-2009, 07:21 PM
groundpounder17

Here's a couple pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34412.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1225899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12104.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	1225900  
Old 06-27-2009, 07:24 PM
groundpounder17

a couple more

Name:	Db84689.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1225901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69393.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1225902  
Old 06-27-2009, 07:26 PM
groundpounder17

and a couple more....

Name:	Qo40364.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1225906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58719.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1225907  
Old 06-27-2009, 07:29 PM
groundpounder17

I would say the best place to get one would be through robart's. I bet they would mail you one for little to nothing if anything at all.

Name:	Jh17222.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1225908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92933.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1225909  
Old 06-27-2009, 07:40 PM
TomTreese
My Feedback: (1)

Kurt,

Will the Robo Struts work inplace of the wire coil struts in the stock mechanical gear box??? If so what is the part number to order from Tower???

The boxes work great but the left strut wire bends a little foreward on any landing that bounces???

I'm going to try to have some music wire bent like the wire struts to try also..

Thanks for featuring the retract boxs.

Tom
Old 06-27-2009, 07:42 PM
jet22b

groundpounder17;

In your first picture, you have the down air line just like I have mine. I do see you are using Tom's case on the landing gear. My question is on the down air line nipple, is it inside or outside Tom case?? I can not tell by the picture. I know this is alot of work and you are taking your time, but I know you will happy in the end. Tom did a good job on the cases. I will have get a pair!!

Sonny
Old 06-27-2009, 08:00 PM
groundpounder17

Hi Sonny,

It's outside the cases, they just cover the cases. I will have to trim a bit more from that area around the down air line nipple because I was thinking of going in front of or below Tom's case without having to trim the outer wing rib. Did you have to trim your outer wing section wing rib?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:29 PM
groundpounder17

Sonny,
Since the down line nipple is beneath the center section outer wing rib, do I need to trim the outer wing section rib as well? I suppose that I will have to trim the outer section wing rib in order to be able to clear the cylinder when inserting/removing the gear. What was your experience with this since your setup was simiar? I am worried that I have weakened my wing considerably.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:04 PM
jet22b

Kurt.

Before you do any triming, test fit the outer wing to in center and see if you need to trim. On my setup, I did have to trim some of the outer rib for the down line air nipple. Also, before you mount the gear, take some 30 min epoxy and work is around all glue joints in the gear box area. I did this on my build and I am glad I did. Also, add you down air line and see how it fit. This also will tell you if you need to do some more trimming. Please let me know if you need more help!!

Sonny
Old 06-28-2009, 11:01 AM
groundpounder17

I actually ended up changing things up a bit. Seeing that I had removed so much in order to allow the strut to fit, it didn't take much more trimming to fit the cylinder oriented inboard. My battery is dead on the camra but I'll post up pics later.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:16 AM
DGUY
My Feedback: (9)

I have read this entire thread. I read it after I have pulled the trigger on one of these. Where is the gear wire bending?? Can you tell me what type of metal it is made from. The solution to the bending could be a simple fix. If you temper the metal it will make it stronger it can be done with a torch and some cool clean water. You have to harden it first and then temper it. The first process is to heat it up to temp and quinch it in the water. That will make it harder, but it will be brittle. The next step is to heat it up again and let it air cool on a metal surface and the will take the brittleness out. It may just work.
Derrick
Old 06-30-2009, 03:29 PM
TomTreese

It seems to bend in the loop. Or the loop unwinds. I have a double wrap of coper wire around the inside of loop that may help??

If it take two pair of pliars and hold the base with one I can bend it back with the other so it fits back into the wheel well. It only needs to be bent about 1-2 mm.

Of course if you fly it in with the flaps down it lands very smoothly with no bending.

I have not had any problem with the plastic gear boxes breaking since I developed the aluminum boxes. The ten AT-6 pilots who bought them also have not reported a problem
Old 07-04-2009, 09:57 PM
adreliable661
My Feedback: (12)

Hey guys, I'm the new kid in town. Just building a TF AT-6 and installing JR DS821 servos. This servo however does not fit into the space for the retracts. Only about 5/8" clearance from the bottom of the servo mounts (the 821's are about 1.25" ). What are you using or am I doing something backwards? Thanks,

Grumpy Gorilla
Old 07-05-2009, 09:22 AM
TomTreese

Retract servos usually have a lower profile...I'm using a Hitec HS-75.( $29.99 at Tower) It has worked well. The DS821 is not a retract servo and does not have sufficient torque and the 180* movement.

Take a look at my retract reinforcing boxes...See post 285.. The stock plastic gear boxes will break upon landing.

I have over 20 landings with mine and have had only positive reports on the ten I have sold.

Make sure you really reinforce the wood in the retract well areas and retract servo well with epoyx or CA.

Good luck.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:40 AM
propshaft

Report back on performance of TF's replacement retracts:

The new retracts sent to me (after I had problems with the original gear casings cracking) are holding up. 10-15 landings; including some "imperfect" landings. The new retracts look exactly like the old ones, but they must have improved the casing material.
So far so good. Let's hope it continues.

I have to bend back the landing gear wire after any landing that puts a bit of pressure on the gear. It is almost unavoidable on a windy day. I will try tempering the wires as suggested by DGUY.

Overall I am enjoying this airplane in spite of the landing gear troubles. It looks great for an ARF and flies well. Favorite maneuvers include slow barrel rolls and half reverse Cuban 8"s that look just like the ones I've seen at air shows.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:59 AM
TomTreese

That's good to hear. My replacements also looked the same. Since I had already made the reinforcement cases I decided to not risk it.

I also have to rebend the strut wires if I bounce the landings. Easily done with two pair of pliars. Just enough to refit into the wells.

I'm having a set of struts made out of music wire????? Let me know about the tempering and how you did it...

Thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 10:40 AM
adreliable661
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks so much for the info. A great help!

Grumpy Gorilla
Old 07-09-2009, 04:15 AM
DGUY
My Feedback: (9)

Has anyone had a problem with the tail wheel assembly it looks like it is hindged to the rudder. Will this put stress on the rudder?? If you guys were to change it out what would be a good option to use that may make it look a little more scale.
Thanks
Derrick
Old 07-09-2009, 12:48 PM
jet22b

Derrick;

No problem with the tail wheel setup on my Texan. No stress on the rudder at all, even on a hard turn. I have not look into any tail wheel upgrade for the Texan. I had one of my club member who is heavy into scale, take a good look at my Texan and gave me high marks on the plane. When I told him it was a ARF, he was shock!!! Now if the wife give me my checkbook and cards back, I will buy another Texan, I will look to see if Robart has a tail wheel setup for this bird!!
Now this is just my 2 cents, but, maybe someone else has a scale tail wheel setup on their Texan and will show us.

Sonny

BTW; A big thank you for your service!!! Come home safe!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:42 AM
flyermark
My Feedback: (19)

Finally got mine back in the air after gettting a cowl (still on back order since May!!!). Still using the stock retracts without issue. Use flaps for landing on our grass field. Three flights last night. No issues. Really love the way this plane flies and does low and fast passes.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:51 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Doh!!!

I just looked at my newly epoxied right wing half and realized the flap pin that goes from the flap to middle section flap had fallen out and I never saw it. I notice that the pins slides freely in the pockets and am not sure what remedy I can take. Getting the wing back apart is NOT an option without major destruction. I am thinking I can cut a slit on the back of the middle flap section and slip the pin in its slot, then put a sliver of balsa in the slit and glue the sliver in place. I epoxied in all the hinge points so I can't get the middle flap section out either.
Anyone else have a solution to my dilema? I hate to be the only one with less than stellar ARF build qualitys but whats done is done........ Looking for less destructive ideas but i am sure i did a major blunder on this one!

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.