Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite AT6 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite AT6 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 04:44 PM
maddieone
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite AT6 ARF

AHA - Sales pitch

Ok, I have an open mind. Have your friend tell us how his product is better than or why Epoxolite is not a good choice to join wing halves. Also supply information as to ordering the material. Looking at the pictures of the reviewer using Epo-grip it did not seem to me that it was much different than Epoxolite.

What follows is a statement from a gentleman at SIG:

I Am not familiar with Epo-Grip, so I have to rule out any comparisons. However, Epoxolite is epoxy glue based and can be used as a filled adhesive although I have not used it in the situation described in the review. Epoxolite is very viscous so it needs to be manually spread like butter on the joining surfaces including the inside of the spar boxes. Properly applied it would eliminate any voids and slop between the wing halves and make a very solid joint.

Thanks,
Maddieone
Old 12-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Balsawings

I was only trying to correct a misconception about Epo-grip. Although this is produced by a friend I will not endorse any products here in the forums. If you want to use Epo-grip to join a wing that's fine but don't use the epoxy with the thickening agents in it. They also sell regular epoxy that would be better suited to doing the job. I only mention the fact that it's a friend because to me it helps to know that he is also a RC pilot, but the RC industry is a very small part of his business. Buy the way, I've used Zap 30 minute epoxy to join every wing I've built in the last 10 years.

Bob Cox
SPA 374
Miami, FL
Old 12-07-2008, 12:42 AM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Everyone;

I just finish the build on my Top Flite AT6 ARF and I must say it is a sweet build!! Now waiting on the OS 91 engine to come in. ( 4 stroke!!! ) I have one question. On the antenna, they say to route the antenna through the fuselage and feed it into the tube that is inside the fuselage. I have done that and I can not see where the wire come out. Did I miss something?? It do look sweet with no wire hanging out!!! Thanks for any feedback.

BTW; I have been in the hobby for 30+ years and all my wings joint are done using 30 min epoxy and glass cloth.

jet22b
Old 12-10-2008, 08:11 AM
AncientCityFlyer

MiniFlyer, I was on RCU a while back and found another build thread on the TopFlite AT-6 but I've tried everything to find it but no luck. Would you happen to have a post # or link to that thread? I'm going to get the AT-6 and would like as much info as possible on the AT-6. Thanks Mike (ACF)
Old 12-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

I am building a WM AT-6 that does not come with a radial engine insert - would someone please measure the OD of the Top Flite radial engine insert for me so that I can determine if I can use it. Separate comment - I plan to order some of the Epo Grip and think it is an idea whose time is here. It was a real benefit to me to have MinnFlyer share it with us in his review. I may be wrong but, I think these folks had a booth at last years Top Gun and I failed to purchase any of it, silly me, now I can pay for the shipping.

Howard
Old 12-10-2008, 01:50 PM
CCFPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AncientCityFlyer:

Here is the other thread. It still is confusing to me which thread I am looking at. The difference is one is AT6, the other is Texan.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_78...tm.htm#8217921

Ethan
Old 12-10-2008, 07:31 PM
AncientCityFlyer

Thanks for the thread link, it's the one I was looking for. I wasn't thinking "Texan" as search word Thanks again, Mike
Old 12-17-2008, 10:08 PM
maddieone

Hey Team,

I received my AT6 a couple of weeks ago and yeah, it was designated as my Christmas present and I was supposed to wait until then to start assembling it but the wife toook pity on me and and told me to go ahead with the build.

Some items:

The construction is excellent, the fits are great and are well planned out.

Overall the covering is great with the exception of the ailerons and the black stripes on the center section. Took a lot of work to get them looking half way decent.

The gear, in my opinion, are more than sturdy enough given the size and weight of the airplane and I fly off a grass field. I lucked out and the set screws for the the wheel collars fit with no problem but did find that a 1.5mm helicopter style wrench worked better than a normal style metric socket wrench.

Had a slight problem with the wing joint covers. I followed the instructions and stripped the covering and used epoxy as stated. Well the next day I was messing with the gear and one of the covers just popped loose from the wing, probably due to the fact the covers are made of some type of plastic. So after some consideration I decided to use RC 56, the stuff used for canopies. Worked great and the covers will not fly off.

And yes, I used Epoxolite to join the wings and the bonde is extremely strong. And if you want to play the numbers game, I am 65 years old and have been messing with model airplanes since I was twelve, do the math.

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas
Old 12-18-2008, 01:39 PM
jet22b

Like yourself, I too just finish the AT6 ARF. This plane was a sweet build. I went with a OS 91 4 Stroke engine on this baby. Did not have to do alot of mod on the cowling to fit the engine. There has been talk about the CG on this bird. The manual say that the CG should be 4-1/4" from the leading edge of the bottom wing. Some people have said that they have lost their bird on the first flight at this CG. The airplane flew tail heavy. Now I set my CG using the Great Planes CG Machine and the CG machine set the CG at 140mm or 5.5" So I mark the spot and found that if I go from the leading edge of the wheel well to the mark, it is 140mm or 5.5". I did mark the manual cg and found the manual cg is 1.5" in front of the manual mark. If you go from the leading edge of the wheel well to the leading edge of the bottom wing, it will come to 1.5" Now my CG is set per the Great Planes CG Machine. Now to have some good weather to test fly her and see what happen. I will report the out come!!!

Merry Xmas to all!!!

jet22b
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31518.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1092096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82435.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1092097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45624.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1092098  
Old 12-18-2008, 03:59 PM
HollywoodHitman

Jet22b - I have one of these on my wish list....Isn't going to happen this year, but I like it none the less. My only concern would be the encapsulation of the engine in the cowl. My H9 Spit with the Saito 100FS was getting super hot, so I had to cut into the cowl. Does the OS 91FS have any issues with overheating in this kind of configuration? If not, how did you manage to keep enough air over the heat sink fins?

Cheers,

HH
Old 12-18-2008, 04:39 PM
jet22b

HH;

Here is some pictures of my setup with the OS 91, as per the manual. On page 22 of the manual, they will show you how to mod the dummy engine for cooling the engine. I have yet to fly my AT6 because winter has come to the great northwest. I will keep an eye on the engine cooling when I do.
You will love the build!!!

jet22b

Name:	Zx71677.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1092163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82278.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1092164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13134.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1092165  
Old 12-18-2008, 09:24 PM
maddieone

Hey Hollywood,

If you set up your engine and cowling per the manual and the way that jet22b did you will not have to worry about overheating the 91. One thing that most guys forget about is allowing the heat to escape the engine compartment alias the cowl. The way that the cowl is set up on this bird with all of the open space in the rear, overheating will not be a concern. I have a Hangar 9 P51 with an OS 91 in it and have never had the engine run hot. Of course I never run her lean.

jet22b: Read the review by Mike B and I think that the CG should be four inches from the leading edge on either side of the joint covers. If I read your reply correctly and you go 5.5 inches from the leading edge you are possibly going to be very nose heavy.

Later,
maddieone
Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 PM
jet22b

maddieone;

I will go and read Mike B review. Like I said in my post, the 5.5 came from using the Great Planes CG machine and the leading edge of the wheel well. I am in my workshop now and I will put it back on the cg machine at the manual 4-1/4" and see what the cg machine come up with. One good thing, the laterally balance is dead on!!!
Again, thanks for the info and Merry Xmas to you and yours!!

jet22b
Old 12-18-2008, 11:46 PM
HollywoodHitman

Right on guys, thanks for the info. I might just go ahead and order another cowl for my Spit. I run it pretty rich, but it just seemed too hot. I am hoping to persuade my wife to get me this ARF for my birthday next year. I am hoping the price of the engines goes down significantly - My Saito 100 FS is pretty pricey these days, and I don't see me getting a whole lot more in my hangar with an 18 month old in the house.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:29 AM
maddieone

jet22b,

I have been using the GP CG balancer for years. Unless I am mistaken you set the distance in inches of the two arms to the distance suggested by the manufacturer. Then place the complete aircraft on the balancer with the little posts touching the leading edge. Now you get to add weight to the plane's nose or tail to get it level. One does not change the balancer distances to get the plane level.

Mike B found that four inches should be used to balance the plane and if necessary add lead, move batteries, whatever to get it level.

In one of my replies I had just finished the wing and wrote that the covering job was adequate. Well I pulled out the fuse and guess what, it was lousy. I spent nearly an hour with both a gun and iron and it still does not look that great. Guess I got one of the ones that was covered on Friday close to quitting time. Also I did a trial fit of the horizontal stabilizer and it is very sloppy. Regular Epoxy will not fill the gap. Going to use Epoxolite again.

[&o]
maddieone
Old 12-19-2008, 12:28 PM
jet22b

maddieone;

I went back into the shop last night and work for about a hour on the CG of my AT6. I did read Mike B review and set the CG as per the manual. I set the plane back on the great plane cg machine and move the number 2 battery pack, ( for my onboard glow system ), up to the firewall. The machine came out with 4 inches and the plane was sitting level. I know Mike said he did add so more weight at the field, and I will have so weight in my field box if the plane need it.

My fuse was just like your. Over 1 hour working on the fuse before it look okay. The control surface still don't look right!!

Now to get some good weather to test fly her!!! Now the weatherman is saying we may get 5 inches of more snow over the weekend!!![]

Again thanks for the info!!

jet22b
Old 12-19-2008, 06:48 PM
maddieone

jet22b,

If she is level at four inches you should be okay. Be sure that your control throws are at the suggested amount.
I will not even think of flying mine until April or May. We had a storm dump nine inches of snow on us today.

Good luck and have a Merry Christmas. [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

maddieone
Old 12-19-2008, 06:51 PM
maddieone

Don't hold your breath waiting for the engine prices to go down. Bought my OS 91 yesterday and the price had gone up within the last couple of weeks. Don't know what the future holds.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:06 PM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

I have an old Top Flight kit of the T 6 to work on this winter and they come out with an ARF. I'm thinking about a yellow SNJ look so its not like the ARF. The good part is if it gets rekitted I can buy the ARF and get flying again quickly.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:08 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: maddieone

jet22b,

If she is level at four inches you should be okay. Be sure that your control throws are at the suggested amount.
I will not even think of flying mine until April or May. We had a storm dump nine inches of snow on us today.

Good luck and have a Merry Christmas. [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

maddieone
Yes I did set the control throws as per the manual. Like you, I think I will wait to fly her in April. Now I found a good deal on eBay for my OS 91 4 stroke. It is 3 years old and the guy who sold it to me pack it in after-run oil. Two days ago, I put the engine on the test stand, prime as per manual. Two flips of the prop and she came to life. I paid $106.95 for it.

Thank you again and Merry Xmas to you and your family!!!

jet22b
Old 12-21-2008, 08:27 AM
maddieone

I know that we are not supposed to do any "bashing" in these forums and the basic premise is to pass information to help fellow modelers, but I have a need to vent and am going to do so. I have built several ARFs and was the first kid on the block way back when, when the ARFs looked like they were made out of peach baskets and the covering was as heavy as burlap. Since then the manfacturers have greatly improved the process. I have built Great Planes, Hangar 9, Seagull and Golden Skies ARFs and this is the first time that I am kicking myself for purchasing an airplane. There have been so many nitpicking items wrong that I am disgusted with it and have stuck it on the shelf until I let my mind clear. Come on, they gave the wrong measurement for the balance point.

[sm=48_48.gif]
Old 12-22-2008, 02:00 PM
jet22b

Hi Guys;

Here are a few pictures of my AT-6 Texan sitting on the Great Planes CG Machine, with a CG of 103mm or 4.055"
As you can see, the plane is level at this point. I email Mike B last night to ask about a CG range of 3.9 to 4.0" as a good start for the AT-6 Texan. He email me back and said yes that would be a good starting point. But he did point out that the control throws must be as per manual. A big must on the elevator throws!!!
With all the snow we are getting, it may be spring before I can fly her!![]

Merry Xmas to all!!!

maddieone;
Don't give up. I do think this will be a sweet plane to fly. When and if we get some good weather here, I will test fly the AT-6 and will post the outcome!!

jet22b

Name:	Qo39842.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1094493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62716.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1094494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24964.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1094495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70697.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1094496  
Old 12-24-2008, 04:59 PM
maddieone

To All,

Have a Merry Christmas and a safe New Year.

Best Wishes,

maddieone
Old 12-28-2008, 05:13 PM
maddieone

Hello All,

Hope that you had a good holiday.

Well I let my brain clear and went back to assembling the AT6. Even though I was greatly disappointed with the covering I was able to get around the few minor deficientcies and continue on. I will point out that the design of the combo tray for the tank, battery and receiver is a stroke of genius. I used EZ connectors on the servo arms for the elevator and rudder. I don't think that one could adjust the elevator through the hole at the rear of the fuse. I was able to get around the throtle servo problem that Mike B had by using a very small diameter plastic tube and music wire. A small bend near the servo arm and it does not bind or twist the arm.

When you mount the canopy and decide that you will screw it to the fuse and are going to put the screws according to the picture in the manual, be careful, the forward ply doublers in my kit were too far back to use that point and if I screwed it in there would be too much wind pressure on the canopy to deem it a secure mount. I just went and used RC 56 to glue it. And to the nay sayers, you can still the remove the canopy if it becomes necessary.

She is starting to come around and now I feel that this is going to be a really nice bird both in looks and performance.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

maddieone
Old 12-28-2008, 07:23 PM
jet22b

Glad to hear you are back in the building mode. I can not wait to get some good flying weather to test fly my baby. Like yourself, I do love that tray. That is sweet!!
On the canopy, I went and glue it in place. I also went with the EZ connectors on the elevator and rudder servo arms. For me the only bad point on this AT6 is the covering.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

jet22b

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.