Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Top Flite AT6 ARF

ORIGINAL: swixtt

ORIGINAL: jet22b

ORIGINAL: superspec

What type of glue would you use for the cockpit floor?
    I went with Gorilla Wood Glue on my cockpit floor. It did a good job, but if you want you can also thick CA.
    I say go with the Gorilla Wood Glue. You will love it!!

Sonny
    how heavy is this floor? just tape it down so it's doesn't lift while the glue cures. gorilla expands a lot!
    Thanks swixtt!!
    I forgot to tell he to put weight on the floor and let it dry overnight. One thing too, do not use alot. A thin line of glue will do!!

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used Formula 560 (old name RC 56) canopy glue and it worked just fine. Neat thing about this glue is that it never totally hardens and what ever you glued down can be carefully removed but what ever is glued will stay, a one point splat landing not withstanding . I also used it to glue the canopy, the exaust, the air intakes, the pilots and the other stuff in the cockpit.

Curt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is how I solved my starter problem
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75372.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	1105537  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Curt;

I like that setup!!! May I ask, where did you find the spinner?
    Thanks for sharing and the info!!

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sonny,

It is a TruTurn 1 & 1/4 inch 'A' style prop hub: TTH-1250-A with the TT-0523-A short jam nut. Bought at the LHS. Here is another pic:

Name:	Ge96288.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	1105541  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Whoopswrong picture

Name:	Bz78848.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	1105544  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Curt;

I am off to my LHS to see if he have them in-stock.
    Thanks for the pictures and info. Now it looks like Spring before I can fly her. From snow to rain here in the Great Northwest.

BTW: If you or anyone is looking for Bridi Kits, here is a link to a place that sell them. Now these are kits and not ARF.
    Have fun!!!
    http://www.bridiairplanes.com/index.html

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just saw a new review on this ARF here on RCU...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1061

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Everyone;

Well I hope to fly my AT-6 Texan tomorrow!!! The weather will be 51degs with lots of sunshine and no wind here in the Great Northwest.
    I will post how the flight goes. I have been in this hobby for close to 25 years now and I still can not stop shaking after a first flight on a new plane!!!

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good luck on your maiden Sonny. The weather here in NJ is about 5 degrees.[] I have not had any time to work on my AT-6 this week, but it's a long time until Spring anyway!

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Everyone;

Well I hope to fly my AT-6 Texan tomorrow!!! The weather will be 51degs with lots of sunshine and no wind here in the Great Northwest.
    I will post how the flight goes. I have been in this hobby for close to 25 years now and I still can not stop shaking after a first flight on a new plane!!!

Sonny
    awesome!! have fun out there!
    we are stuck in the clouds in the interior. massive inversion right now

what's your CG at if you don't mind me asking?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Everyone;

Sonny
    awesome!! have fun out there!
    we are stuck in the clouds in the interior. massive inversion right now

what's your CG at if you don't mind me asking?
    Tomorrow flight is set at CG of 103mm or 4.055!! I will let everybody know if this is a good CG spot.

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello All;

Today was a good day!! The weatherman was right. Clear, blue and 22!!! I have 19 member in my club and everybody was at the field today. Lots of new planes. I was the only one with the Top Flite AT-6 Texan, so the member let me fly first. After doing a range check, I fuel up the bird and start the engine. Check the control again, ran the engine up and said I hope she will go back home the same way it came to the field. Did 3 fast run up and down the runway to get the feel of the plane, ( she feel good on the ground ). Came back in to the pit, top the tank, try to stop shaking. The first takeoff was with no flaps and I must tell you be ready with the rudder. I had to hold some left rudder to keep her in the center of the runway. The plane came off the runway before I was ready, so a little bit of over controling happen. The climbout was sweet. Let your speed build up before you try to turn upwind. After the trim was set, the airplane is a joy to fly. Now for landing!!! One thing I found out today, this plane make you work to have a sweet landing. The flaps at full down will slow the plane, but, you don't want it to be to slow or it will stop flying!!! Maybe next weekend, I can have the field to myself so I can put the plane to a big workout!!
    Overall, this plane is a joy to fly and it look so good in the air. This plane will turn heads at the field.
    I am happy with her and can't wait to fly her again!!!

BTW: The CG was spot on. A CG of 4.0" is a good place to start.

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello All;

Today was a good day!! The weatherman was right. Clear, blue and 22!!! I have 19 member in my club and everybody was at the field today. Lots of new planes. I was the only one with the Top Flite AT-6 Texan, so the member let me fly first. After doing a range check, I fuel up the bird and start the engine. Check the control again, ran the engine up and said I hope she will go back home the same way it came to the field. Did 3 fast run up and down the runway to get the feel of the plane, ( she feel good on the ground ). Came back in to the pit, top the tank, try to stop shaking. The first takeoff was with no flaps and I must tell you be ready with the rudder. I had to hold some left rudder to keep her in the center of the runway. The plane came off the runway before I was ready, so a little bit of over controling happen. The climbout was sweet. Let your speed build up before you try to turn upwind. After the trim was set, the airplane is a joy to fly. Now for landing!!! One thing I found out today, this plane make you work to have a sweet landing. The flaps at full down will slow the plane, but, you don't want it to be to slow or it will stop flying!!! Maybe next weekend, I can have the field to myself so I can put the plane to a big workout!!
    Overall, this plane is a joy to fly and it look so good in the air. This plane will turn heads at the field.

Sonny
    Great stuff Sonny, glad to hear it went well! i'll remember the 4.0" CG for mine!! once i figure out what to do about my retracts...

do she slow down enough on final WITHOUT flaps at all? or does the flaps just allow for a steeper approach and the same airspeed?
    i'll read back a few posts to see what engine you are running.

let us know how the other flights go.!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Sonny, Keep us informed.
    The runway here is snow covered.
    Used thick CA to put the canopy floor on.
    It will be a while before maiden flight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello All;

Sonny
    Great stuff Sonny, glad to hear it went well! i'll remember the 4.0" CG for mine!! once i figure out what to do about my retracts...

do she slow down enough on final WITHOUT flaps at all? or does the flaps just allow for a steeper approach and the same airspeed?
    i'll read back a few posts to see what engine you are running.

let us know how the other flights go.!!
    swixtt;

The first landing try was with no flaps and it was hot. I had to go around. On the next try, I went with full flaps and she did slow down real good. Like I said before, I hope we have good weather and I have the field to myself so I can play with her. I have the OS 91 4 stroke and its a good mate. In the air, that 4 stroke sound sweet. The small bit of smoke off the engine, give the plane a sweet look while flying. Maybe down the road I will add a smoke pump and have more fun!!!
    I will let everybody know how next weekends go!!

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Sonny,

Did you get the Tru-Turn spinner? If so, is it working for you?

To the Audience: I see that some of you are using CA to glue the plastic parts to the plane. I have been doing this hobby for quite a few years and have found that an adhesive such as Formula 560 (no, I don't have stock in the company) holds a lot better than CA when gluing plastic parts to the covering or to each other. The glue is flexible when dry and holds up well under vibration. I draw a line around the part to be glued and then use a T pin to make a lot of holes just inside the line. Put the glue over the holes, place and tape the part and let it sit overnight. Resist the urge to see if the part is set until the next day. If you have over run, wipe first with a dry paper towel and then follow up with a damp paper towel. If at a later time you notice that you did not get all of the over run, take a moist paper towel and gently rub the spot. It will easily come off.

Hope this helps someone,

Curt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: maddieone

Hey Sonny,

Did you get the Tru-Turn spinner? If so, is it working for you?

Hi Curt;

My LHS was out of the Tru-Turn spinner, but he had a Hobbico TorqMaster 90-1.80 Jumbo Drive Cone and Rubber Insert for $20.00 ( See pictures of the setup ). The cone fit the spinner like a glove. Well another beautiful day here in the state of Washington. Clear blue and 22!!! But I have to pay the bills!!! I hope this weather move east to give everybody some time to play with their toys.

Fly hard, but, play safe!!!

Sonny

Name:	Us54800.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	1114401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf12035.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	1114402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ch96432.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	1114403  
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys
    I have been reading this thread for a while now I usually search threads when I know I am going to be the GUINEA PIG test pilot.. lol
    I have a friend that has building his t-6 and I will maiden it so he is going to bring it over tomorrow and we will go over the C/G as well
    as the control throws that you all have been talking so much about. Only makes since to me to know as much as you can before you
    do it yourself.
    I am very thankful for these threads it has really proved to me the value of this site. I purchased a couple a year ago a LANIAR F-4 prop
    jet. with the knowledge of a thread posted here I was able NOT TO MAKE the same mistakes as many others had and now my F-4 flyes
    so NICE...
    I too will be in touch with you all and I will keep reading the up coming posts.

Thanks guys. www.teammuir1.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am wondering about the flight lines that you all are using with the stock landing gear?
    we have a grass run way.
    so let me know what kind of fields you all are taking off from.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TeamMuir1

I am wondering about the flight lines that you all are using with the stock landing gear?
    we have a grass run way.
    so let me know what kind of fields you all are taking off from.
    Hi TeamMuir1;

My club has a 400ft grass runway that I fly my AT-6 Texan off of. So far I have 5 flights on her with no problem on takeoff or landing. You will be okay. After you get it trim out, go high and play with the flaps. They do slow this plane down!!! On your first takeoff you may have to use some rudder. Have fun!!!

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HI Guys,

I just ordered one of these planes this evening ... Tower had a good sale going on and I could not resist

I'm not sure what I'm going to put in for an engine. Can't wait to see this one in the air!

Carl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have first hand results of this Plane....the Over all build was ok... normal I would say. one of the
    main things to keep in mind is the Fuel tank relations to the Engine. The Club member of mine installed
    a Super Tiger 91 four stroke on the nose inverted. When I saw it for the first time I knew there was trouble.
    the fuel cell was to high... he tried starting it time and time again with out any luck... seems to me that the fuel
    was siffining into the carb. After many time of trying I ended up taking the motor off and as soon as I did what
    seemed to me a good 4 onz of fuel come gushing out.. WEll it was siffining .. So up righted the motor and
    made a make shift throttle linkage all right there at the field. Started the Motor.. and ran wonderfully...
    after about 2 tanks through it I took the motor back off and then mounted in on its side. I had to turn the
    carb 180 so the throttle servo would line up. buttoned everything up, and Started once again.. this time taxing
    around the runway.. a full tank of fuel.... once she was out We filled her up once again.... and with the determination
    that she was going to fly... Taxied out.... pointed her into the wind... and slowly add the power.. TRUST me...
    gradually ad the power or your tail will lift so fast.. that you will want to lift and it will be to early... I found
    that if you use the runway.. and gradually add power your take off will look scale and you will not tip stall her.
    once in the air Gear went up.. looked very good... flew nice... like a war bird trainer should... all loops and rolls
    were made on slow rate.. for the first flight.. then cam the landing.. WEll our field is grass its 670ft by 125ft
    NO PROBLEMS here I tested the stall in air and she seemed to want to dip the left wing, so I kept the air speed
    up a little.. and brought her to the ground... with out a bounce. very SLICK landing....
    WELL that was the first time.. the second flight was not so perty needless to say it was not so nice looking LOL I bounced her and then the
    right landing gear bent like it was a NOODLE... I swear these CHEAP landing gear are a pain... I will tell you if you can
    afford a better gear. GO FOR IT.
    all in all the plane is a very nice one.[img][/img]

Name:	Ec87581.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	1147576  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Carl,

I got a pretty good deal on mine as well from Tower back in January - unfortunately time has been short and I have not built it yet. I just picked up an OS 91 four stroke from Tower - got $60 dollars off! I hear that this engine is a good match. MinnFlyer did an RCU review on this plane:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1061

I am also following Sonny's lead and I picked up a Sullivan glow driver for it. I have everything but the servos and some spare time at this point. Hopefully I get it going by Spring or Summer. Good Luck with yours - other than some wrinkling on the control surfaces, it is a very nice ARF.

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Steve,

Thanks! I think the OS-91 FS will be a good match. It looks like Tower is still offering $60 off $300 so maybe I will get the engine this month.

Good luck with yours too!

Carl

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast