Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Top Flite AT6 ARF

Carl,

You will find the OS-91 FS is a good match for this plane!! Plus you don't have to do alot of mod on the cowling to make it fit. The plane is a joy to fly. I now have 15 flights on mines and yet to set trim on the radio. One thing you don't want to overlook is the control throws. Please set the throws as per manual, so you don't have a pucker factor on the first flight!!!

Take your time on the build and setup and you will enjoy everytime you fly her. If you have any question, please post and we will help you. I just may have to pickup another one from Tower Hobbies, but if I do the wife will kill me!!!

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52
    Great Planes Citabria DLE 35RA CC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sonny,

Thanks for the advice. I'm currently flying the Great Planes 1/4 scale Gene Soucy Extra 300s w/an OS 1.60 FX. It's a lot of fun, but I wanted to try my hand at a war bird. The AT-6 will be my first warbird, first 4-stroke, and first plane with flaps & retracts. Always something new to learn in this hobby!

Has anyone tried the new OS 110 FS? Looke like more power, similar weight and size to the OS 91 FS. But, lists at $400 vs $300 on tower hobbies.

Carl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You might also want to consider the Hanger 9 P-51. Have one, great looks, excellent construction and covering, flys great.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: maddieone

You might also want to consider the Hanger 9 P-51. Have one, great looks, excellent construction and covering, flys great.
    I agree with maddieone. I had 2 of the Hangar 9 P-51 and they was a joy to fly. I gave them to my club for this year Summer Kid Day!!

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cfossa

Sonny,

Thanks for the advice. I'm currently flying the Great Planes 1/4 scale Gene Soucy Extra 300s w/an OS 1.60 FX. It's a lot of fun, but I wanted to try my hand at a war bird. The AT-6 will be my first warbird, first 4-stroke, and first plane with flaps & retracts. Always something new to learn in this hobby!

Has anyone tried the new OS 110 FS? Looke like more power, similar weight and size to the OS 91 FS. But, lists at $400 vs $300 on tower hobbies.

Carl
    Carl,

You welcome!!! This is what great about this hobby. People will help. I don't know if you have your engine yet, but, take a look at eBay. Last month I pickup 2 OS 91 FS 4 Stroke at a steal. One was brand new in box no run time. I paid 125.00 for it! The other one was use with low run time. I pick that one up for $135.99
    Take a look. You may find a good deal

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sonny,

Thanks! I will check ebay. I did also pick up one of the TF P-51 mustangs. I think I will build the AT-6 first.

Carl

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

TOwer does not offer the 60$ off 300$ but it does offer the .60 texan for 249.99 and 15$ off 125$..... so you save 55$ on it...

Great looking plane

My field has paved runways so it will not be an issue (with the gear that is....)

The fact that they EVEN include retracts with a ARF of this quality at this price.????
    If you can\'\'\'\'t dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone know if the Robart 620 Mains Midwest Models AT-6 would work?

I guess the price is not what I was looking for though...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi All;

This is my next upgrade to my AT-6 Texan. See link below!!
    http://www.robart.com/retracts/5-10lbSpecial.aspx
    While the retract that came with the plane now have 20 flight on my club grass field. They are holding up!!

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i did that for my kit but then installed the Strut Conversion to them. looks great now!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jet22
    That really should be everones upgrade.. for this plane....
    Let me tell you my bud brought his out again Wed. with the hopes of flying it again
    well Just taxing around the run way. Grass might I add. He bent the gear like it was
    a NOODLE.. lol. I swear I laughed till I had tears in my eyes.. I am a furm believer
    you get what you pay for.. and you my friend didnt pay for RETRACTS. lol..
    so back to the bench for some more bending.. its like this metal is not American Made.
    lol..... bends just with the weight of the plane lol. I swear if you Value your plane
    MAKE THE UP GRADE.. ACTUALLY let it be the FIRST ......
    take care all
    Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ron;

I just palce my order for this gear set!! Grass field play hell on retract gear. Ron, like you said, this should be a MUST upgrade!! I think Top Flite knew Robart was comming out with a gear set for this kit, so they left a good spot for the air tank!!! Yes they may add weight, but, I can deal with that. So know to wait for the UPS man to come!!
    Have a great flying weekend everyone!!

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

any thoughts on whether or not a saito .72 would work w/this plane? underpowered maybe?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MountaineerFan36

any thoughts on whether or not a saito .72 would work w/this plane? underpowered maybe?
    I would say yes, but, I can be wrong. My first pick for the airplane was a OS 61FX 2 stroke, but I would had to do a hack job on the cowling to make it fit. The sound of a 4 stroke in this airplane is sweet!! The next thing I am thing of adding to this plane is a smoke machine!!! That will be a blast!!!

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That gear was made for the Top-Flite AT-6 kit, not the ARF. It may fit with some modification.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hellcat716

That gear was made for the Top-Flite AT-6 kit, not the ARF. It may fit with some modification.
    Thanks for the headup Hellcat716. I went to Robart website last night and download the spec sheet for the gear and I look at the wings today and saw where I have to do mods to make them fit.

Thanks again!!

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MountaineerFan36

I would say that it would be underpowered with a 72. the newer version saito 82 would not power this well.... I believe that it would take off and it would fly. but if you ever needed power to help get out of trouble.... I dont think you would have a chance.. the plane really weighs to much for a saito 82..... I have a 82 on the nose of my MATT CHAPMANN cap 580.. it weighs like 8 pds...
    thas my opinion. take it for whats its worth... I have been in this GREAT hobby for 25 years.. and I am a youngin as they say... lol
    Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think that the reality of this plane is that it is a bulkier plane than the average sport model/ scale plane....

I think it would need a .91 4-stroke or a .75-.91 2-stroke.... a 1.20 would be the way to go if you want to have power that makes things exciting.....
    If you think of terms of a large gas plane, if you want to get it hauling to fun speeds, not light speeds, I would go with a 1.20 or a 26cc gas engine....

This is a 70" WS plane..., If I had a 1.20 or a nice saito 1.25 (26oz) I wouldn't have to think twice about placing it in this one....
    But one always must put thought in to the overall weight of the plane and IF there flying skills are good enough to handle that added weight.....
    For me,,,,, I have other giant heavy metal birds, and to have a practice plane with less vested plane to make the mistakes with, I am all in for the added weight!!
    I really don't see ow one gets a feel for one of those flying a very light weight H9 hellcat, with a saito 100 in it? I don't think there is much difference between that, and
    a GP .46 Venus.... You will not be able apply more of that learned flying experience to that of a bigger, bulkier, higher wing loaded, more powerfull TF Texan....

When I 1st saw pictures of this plane, I was like... "not interested" but now after seing the size and the comanding looks, "I got to have it"

Muiri1....
    I would have to agree with you, the wire used on the retracts was probly that soft China metal that was used on the last GOldberg products....Absolute junk....

If you replace the wire with your own bent wire or some new wire from robart, I am sure that your retract woohs will go away...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the headup Hellcat716. I went to Robart website last night and download the spec sheet for the gear and I look at the wings today and saw where I have to do mods to make them fit.

Thanks again!!

Sonny
    Oh Great Texan GURU,

Please keep us apprised of your progress with the Robart's. Any pictures of your modifications and installation will be greatly appreciated.

For what it's worth, to those who are in a quandry regarding engine choice, the original RCU reviewer, Mike Bezzo, tested and suggested that the OS 91 FS was an excellent choice for this plane for standard sport/scale flying.

Curt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: maddieone

Thanks again!!

Sonny
    Oh Great Texan GURU,

Please keep us apprised of your progress with the Robart's. Any pictures of your modifications and installation will be greatly appreciated.

For what it's worth, to those who are in a quandry regarding engine choice, the original RCU reviewer, Mike Bezzo, tested and suggested that the OS 91 FS was an excellent choice for this plane for standard sport/scale flying.

Curt
    Curt,

I will do that!!! Just receive a email from Tower Hobbies that the Robarts AT-6's gear are on back order. Now for the waiting game, but the air tank will be in next week and I will post picture of where the tank will go.
    Yes the OS 91 FS is an excellent engine for this airplane. I am running a Master Airscrew K Series 14x6 prop and the engine love it.
    Have a good flying day everyone!!

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys.. let me reiderate.... this is not my plane. although I have done alot a work on it and I
    am the only one that has flown it. So far.. its not mine... I have enough warbirds already and there
    is absolutly nothing wrong with this plane in its flying charcteristics.
    remember when you underpower one or make one addicquite you have to have the flying skills to
    to bring this plane to the ground the same way she went up. War birds wil be War birds.. lol
    I have personally a
    Great Planes P-51
    Top Flite Gold P-51
    Bud Nosen P-51
    KMP - P-51
    Hangar 9 spitfire
    Hangar 9 Corsair
    Midwest Corsair
    Lanier F-4
    Nueport 26
    on the building blocks
    P-38 nitro models...

I love my warbirds...
    Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ron;

WOW!!! I love your fleet!!!!
    I was looking at the Top Flite B-25J Mitchell ARF, but the wife took my cards and checkbook!! lol

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jet22b

Ron;

WOW!!! I love your fleet!!!!
    I was looking at the Top Flite B-25J Mitchell ARF, but the wife took my cards and checkbook!! lol

Sonny
    I though I was the only one that that happens too???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL
    you guys have to get more resourceful.....
    Man... you all have to get your ladies Diamonds..... then you can buy some planes.....
    Trust, me.... will be 20 yrs on the 11th..... and I have been in this hobby since I was 14.....
    she was my Highschool sweet heart... and been together ever since....
    Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They have them on sale right now for $249 and you can still use another coupon to make them cheaper.
    THE T.R.U.T.H

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast