Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Top Flite AT6 ARF

Looks good Sonny - look forward to seeing the rest of the install.

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sonny,

Thanks for the picks of the retract valves. I might still opt for air retracts too. Even if the new servo-operated set from TF looks more robust, a set of Robarts will probably be the most reliable in the long run. Where will you place the air tank? It will be an extra schlepp to have to connect an air tube every time the wing is mounted. Is there a way to get the air tank into the wing?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

propshaft;

On page 6 I post pictures of where I will mount the air-tank and fill valve. I am hoping that I will have to use one quick disconnect between the air line from the tank to the control valve. so I can mount and take the wings off after flying. The way the air tank fit in the fuse, I think Top Flite has this in mind. I hope the gears come in this week and I will post more pictures.

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sonny,

I have to give you a host of accolades. You are by far the most persistent guy I have run into in a long time. You are doing a great job of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Keep up the good work.

BTW - My P47 had a couple of minor problems, had been damaged in shipping. I contacted Horizon; they sent me another one and paid for my return shipping. I have been real busy getting ready for camping season. I will probably start the build process this coming weekend.

Curt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Curt,

Thanks for the accolades!!! Over all this is a great airplane. The way it looks on the ground and in the air is so sweet. Yes I was piss at the bad covering, but, I took my time and got the covering looking good. Now its the landing gear, but I went with Robarts and I hope this will fix that problem. Top Flite has been good to me for many many years and I hate to have one kit or ARF to beat me, so this is way I am trying to save this one.
    I am glad Horizon help you out!!! They paid for return shipping??? That's sweet!!! I hope you do a build thread on the P-47. My wife just gave me a green light to buy another plane for my birthday and I have been looking at the Hangar 9 P47!!!

BTW: Good luck with camping. I wish I could still do that, but, 5 years ago, I blew 2 disc in my lower back and my camping days are over.
    Have fun camping and post your feeling on the Hangar 9 P47

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sonny: Will keep you posted on the P47.

Rest of the thread team: Contacted Hobbico by phone today concerning the suspect landing gear. I talked to a gentleman named John. He instructed me to send back the gear with a sales receipt and a note explaining the problem. They in turn will send a new set of gear. I bought my plane for a Christmas present and no longer have a receipt, went in the trash with the rest of the holiday wrappings. Hope that the LHS can create one for me. I will keep you updated.

Curt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sonny,

Forgot to do a P.S.: Too bad about your not being able to camp. Went to a show last November and bought a 36 foot Bighorn. Did not get to it use as the season was over here in Michigan. First trip is planned for mid May.

Ok guys, I know that this a airplane thread but I like Sonny.

Curt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jet22b..............

I Would contact Greatplanes (hobbico) directly and inform them of the issue...
    Call Tower (if that is were you bought it) first, and see what they say.....

TO say nothing to the Manufacture is a crime.....
    Greatplanes has ALWAYS supported there products.. ALWAYS>....

I personally have had Brand New Wings sent to me for my GIant Mustang (all shipping paid for by them)
    for no fault of theres!!.... I just wrote a letter explaining what happened.....

I have had a Brand new GIant 100cc plane sent to my doorstep w/in 4-days after recieving my plane (that they paid for all the shipping)
    that was in question!!!!..........

I am possitive that if you called them up, and sent the wings to them w/letter explaining the issue, they would send you
    a new wing and retracts...!!! And I am sure that they would even cover the shipping to do so..

Give them a chance, I know they will make you happy!
    If you can\'\'\'\'t dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: maddieone

Sonny,

Seriously, once again it appears that Top Flite has produced trash and is selling it to the general public. We should not have to buy after market replacement parts so that the plane is viable. Once again I am very disapointed in this bird am going to take all of the gear out of it, set it in the rafters and buy me a Seagull or Hanger 9 something. Wish there was some way that we all could get recompense from the company.
    I havn't had a "trash" from TF!...??/

What manufacture has a plane out with "stock" retract gear, that hasn't had issues??????
    This is a great plane.... But if you don't want it, sell it or ask for a refund.....

Inform the maker of the ARF the issues you have about it!...... (you told them you didn't like the retracts?)
    Ask for your money back.. Don't just ask for new retracts.......
    You said that they wouldn't work, so just get rid of it!!....
    Then you can move on to something else!

Perhaps the only problem they did with this kit, was SUPPLY RETRACTS!!!!
    They didn't have any structural issues..? webing incorrectly placed or wings folding or falling apart???
    The rectracts are a very small issue, in the grand scheme of model airplane problems//// IMHO!
    THey should have just supplied fixed gear (like on the GIant p-51) and No one would be complaining!!!!!
    Aside for the common issue ALL BIG ARF manufactures have, and that is the random bad covering jobs....

Please don't think I am attacking you..... (I know it does) but I have to dissagree with some of the statements you made....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sonny: Will keep you posted on the P47.
    Curt
    I believe the p47 you have the 1.50 (had retract issues , the metal bends)
    and so didn't the p-47 .60 size.... These also bent.....
    This is due to the metal in china just not up to par..... very soft.... manufactures have had
    to bring Alum. or steel over from america, to get quality retracts....
    (it is what TBM's has had to do on there giant warbirds and it turned out great)

I would send it back before you become frustrated and have to place that one in the rafters as well......

INHO>...
    Justin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Justin,

The P47 is the sixty size. It has the same gear as the sixty size H9 P51 which I have been flying for over three years and I have lost count of the number of flights I have had. I am lousy in the landing department and the most I have had to do was grab a wheel and do a little straightening. There has been no evidence of structural failure and I am still not happy with the original response that I received when questioning the covering.

Curt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great new guys!!
    The UPS man just left these on my doorstep and I am off to my workshop. Will be back soon with pictures and info about the installation and setup of the landing gear!!
    Stay tune!!!

Sonny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22358.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	1180488  
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Me Again;

On opening the gear bag, I found when the gear is up, the tank and gear wire was both on the same side. The manual that come with the gear will show you how to move the air cylinder to the other side. Here are some pictures of how the gear will look!! More to come!!!

Sonny

Name:	Fd91985.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	1180587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb90315.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	1180588  
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

More update pictures.

As you can see the air lines are install. Now you will have to mod the holes that the air cylinder go through. See picture #4. It show the mod. As you can the wings are not install to the center wing. The dremel work great here. The down air tube is why you have to do this mod. I will be back soon with more update and pictures. But I must tell you this upgrade can be a pain!!!

Sonny

Name:	Cz80066.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	1180903   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ok28710.jpg 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	1180904   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo31422.jpg 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	1180905   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ys49904.jpg 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	1180906  
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Sonny,

Did you get the Email that I sent to you through RCU? [sm=confused.gif]

Curt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Curt;

No I did not receive your email. Please send it again. I will turn off my spam killer so it will cme through!!

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

More update pictures.

Well the mod is still on track. This is alot of work. The only draw back is the air lines. They are a pain to run without having one pinch. Also I found out you will have to doing some bending on the gear wire to have the gear to lay flat in the well when they are up. I will be posting more pictures so you can see how everything look. This mod have been fun and made me do alot of head scratching, but this is what good about this hobby!!
    Have a good flying weekend everyone!!!

Sonny

Name:	Us54910.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	1182095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uq50004.jpg 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	1182096   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xc80496.jpg 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	1182097   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pj19139.jpg 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	1182098  
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finish Look!!!

Okays Everybody. The work is done!!! Just in time for this weekend!!! Here are pictures of the gear up and down. Take a look at the gears in the well!! SWEET!!!! The grass you see in the air intake is from the last landing before the gear fail!!
    Over all, this mod can be a hand full. If anyone is going to do this upgrade, I would say go for another set of wings so it would be easy to do all the mod to the gear well.
    Any question feel free to post!!!
    They are calling for clear, blue and 71 deg tomorrow!!! You know what I will be doing!!!!!
    Have fun everyone and fly safe!!!

Sonny

Name:	Hf97720.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	1182163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm36465.jpg 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	1182164   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sy63507.jpg 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	1182165   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tm30143.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	1182166  
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks great Sonny. Thanks for posting all of the info with pictures. Have a good weekend flying!

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sonny,

You did an excellent job. But if I were to try to install the Robart's, which I am definitely not going to do, it would be a nearly impossible task with the wing sections all glued together. This plane is just not worth the effort or the extra money that you put out. Waiting to see what Hobbico sends me in regards to the upgraded gear. If the new gear turn out to be just as bad then it's back to the rafters or the trash bin.

Curt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Curt;

The only way I could do this mod was to have the wings not glue together. This would have been a pain in the butt job with the wings together. I can remember all the other planes I put retract in and it was best done in the building stage. I hope you receive a good set of retract for your AT-6 Texan and be happy again with her. I hope you have good weather today so you can burn some fuel. I will fly my AT-6 today and will let you know how the Robarts hold up!!

Have fun!!!

Sonny

PS: I did receive your email!!!
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sonny,

You did an excellent job. But if I were to try to install the Robart's, which I am definitely not going to do, it would be a nearly impossible task with the wing sections all glued together. This plane is just not worth the effort or the extra money that you put out. Waiting to see what Hobbico sends me in regards to the upgraded gear. If the new gear turn out to be just as bad then it's back to the rafters or the trash bin.

Curt
    I will take it!!....
    Shipping would be around 100$....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi All;

Well today was a very good day at the field!!! The Texan had five flight with one hard landing and the Robart Gear held up!!! And yes my club field is grass!!
    Over all, this was a good mod, but, don't try this with the wings together. It will be a big pain in the butt to do. Like people have posted, the plane fly so sweet and look good in the air and on the ground!!!
    Have a great flying weekend everyone!!!

Sonny
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[/quote]
    I will take it!!....
    Shipping would be around 100$....
    [/quote]

Plus $200 for the airplane........................

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I Built the Top-Flite AT-6 over the winter. I have the OS-FS91-II engine installed. During construction I reinforced the retarct area with extra balsa sheeting and CA'd all the wood support area.
    I made the maiden flight on March 4th. The plane flew perfectly and I made 4 perfect flap assisted landings. On March 8th on the third landing the left gear got in to some soft area on our grass runway and bent the strut. I was able to remover the gear and re-bend the strut. Thta's when I started to follow this thread and read about the gear block failures?? I thought I had, maybe, avoided the problem because of the reinforcing I had done??

However, last Friday on the second landing, that was about 5* nose down, so that the front of the wheels touched first, rater than a perfect flair landing,. I was just a little too slow. The AT-6 bounced up about 6" and when it landed the left gear collapsed. The back of left PLASTIC block had broken at the flange. There was minor wing sheeting damage above the gear block, easily repaired, and the front mounting wood block was cracked.[>:] After inspection the right gear block is also cracked along the mounting flange. I beleive there would have been no structural wood damage if the gear block was stornger!!!This was not a hard landing. My Hanger-9 Hellcat has had a numbrt of similar landings in it's 250 flight history and never a retract failure. Of Course the retract gear mounting frame is METAL!!!!It costs $27.00 to make it out of metal!!!

The AT-6 gear is pure plastic, not even the Graphite/nylon mix of the Robart.

I called Tower Hobbies service and they are going to replace the gear and wire ($36.58) at no charge when the come in? However, if it's the same plastic shell the same thing will happen again[:@]

I want to call the number posted on post 163 and talk to John to see if some modifications have been made.??? Seems to me that a metal case, which costs less than the plastic to make, would solve the problem.

I prefer no to use pneumatic retracts if at all possible. Especially since the case is graphite. and will cost $150. for the complete set.

I have a freind here with a metal fabrication shop and I'll see if he can make a metal case for the retracts I have.

The AT-6 is a great looking and flying Warbird. It's a shame that it it has to be burdened with a set of cheap fragil retracts. The whole problem could be corrected for less than $25.00 Just make the case metal!!
    Insanity: Keep doing the same thing expecting a different result.

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast