Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Spacewalker II 120 Arf

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Spacewalker II 120 Arf

Old 11-06-2014, 10:23 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scubaozy
A word of warning on CA hinges: Two of three hinges on my left aileron were totaly obliterated. I was lucky that I noticed this on the ground and this is just after 5 hours airtime. I replaced the left aileron hinges with pin hinges and will keep am eye on the remaining one. Additionally I the hatch bolts keep getting loose in flight, so I have lost them all and once the cocpit flew off during the flight, lucky that it fell on grass without damage. I am using nylon screws instead of metall bolts now and it does not get loose in flight anymore.
I was losing hatch bolts on mine, as well. My "fix" was to put small "O" rings on, sort of a soft washer, that kept them from vibrating out. The nylon screw is a good fix, but I like using a bolt with a socket head, easier to get on and off.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:56 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RCVFR
I was losing hatch bolts on mine, as well. My "fix" was to put small "O" rings on, sort of a soft washer, that kept them from vibrating out. The nylon screw is a good fix, but I like using a bolt with a socket head, easier to get on and off.
It sounds like you have a vibration issue. Suggest you check your prop and/or spinner balance. Good luck
Old 11-07-2014, 02:49 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by spaceworm
It sounds like you have a vibration issue. Suggest you check your prop and/or spinner balance. Good luck
Single cylinder gas engines have vibration.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:32 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by RCVFR
Single cylinder gas engines have vibration.
N. S. Sherlock!

Proper fasteners and techniques along with balanced spinners and props should eliminate the problem.

Sometimes, people are exactly as they appear to be
Old 11-08-2014, 05:26 PM
AA5BY

The hatch screws on the SW are prone to coming out unless tightened enough one thinks they are going to crush wood.

I think I promised a report on adjusting the wheel position. I haven't done that yet but did check the tail weight and found it greater than my other models of similar size, significantly so. For example, the tail weight of the SW is 26oz whereas my Ultra Stick Lite which is also a 120 size model and of similar size albeit a lb or so lighter, was 12oz. The SW then has almost one pound more tail weight than does the USL. To clarify, what I'm measuring is the weight sitting on the tail wheel.

I think it goes without argument that the mains position of a tail dragger is somewhat critical. Too far aft and the plane is tippy to taxi and too far forward and the plane will experience both hobby horse landings and may experience premature takeoff. The USL with 12oz on the tail wheel has no taxi problems or hobby horse landings. I'm thinking the 26oz on the SW is excessive and a problem and I may try later this evening or in the morning to shim the gear to move the main wheels aft.

The other issue that plagues my SW is that power on and power off trim are still not the same. When trimmed for full power, the glide slope for landing under no power is too shallow. There is currently some up trim witnessed by the forward ends of the elevator balance tabs being down one eighth.

I've mixed the elevators to go neutral trim at low throttle and will check tomorrow to see if that produces a better landing glide slope.

Previously, wing incidence was increased to reduce the up trim needed, which had been a quarter inch of up elevator and a more severe disparity in power on/off trim. Perhaps a little more positive in the wing is needed.

I'll report results of the changes.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:04 PM
AA5BY

I provided a 15° wedge shim to angle the gear back. It looks bad and only reduced the weight on the tail wheel by 6 oz (half what is needed). To do that is not the answer or a reasonable fix. I expect what is needed is to move the mains about half way from where they are at towards the CG. Unfortunately to move the gear mounts internally would require significant effort so it might be more reasonable to move them externally.

To do so, it might be possible to mount a 1/4" aluminum plate in the stock holes that extends aft the necessary amount to provide a new mounting location for the gear. I estimate that the wheels should be moved aft between 2-2.5 inches.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:31 AM
AA5BY

Bingo... the throttle to elevator mix that neutralizes the elevator at low throttle solved the trim disparity between power on/off trim to allow a correct landing glide slope.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:26 PM
scubaozy

Its been quiet here in the thread, I have now several hundreds of flights with mine and it comes nearly every weekend with me to the field. Just a short video from this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdHVERkCtuc
Old 06-28-2017, 08:03 AM
gavinwebb

Default Wing Fixing

I maidened my SpaceWalker yesterday. It was way too nose heavy - but I wanted to try it that way first. I'm running a Saito 30cc 4 stroke gas engine.
I'm moving my batteries further back and am also going to install a new fuel tank - also further back. However this will create problems in doing up the wing retaining bolts.
So, I'm thinking of using the existing wing bolts as pins (by chopping off the heads) - so this will make sure the wings are sitting correctly then putting some sort of retaining straps across the bottom of the fuselage that stick out either side that I can then screw up some retaining bolts into the wings. Anyone done anything like this?
Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 AM
scubaozy

I think you can get away without major mods. I moved the batteries behind the hatch, tank to the center and added 10-15g of weight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2221975  
Old 07-02-2017, 05:35 AM
ScaleRCpilot
My Feedback: (1)

You don't want to add more weight with a strap - just move the battery and tank back- small changes at a time you will get there!
Old 06-02-2023, 04:48 PM
cdrc1

Default 4-stroke engine install

Originally Posted by trikepilot
I just built the space walkerII for a friend He is short of funds at the momment.Still need to complete the radio and motor instalation.He is using a crrc pro 26cc gas.It looks to fit just using a pitts mufler,But at 209.00 dallors I think it was a good choice.
Is it possible to install engine at 90 degrees instead of upside down?
Old 06-06-2023, 04:51 PM
BlackPhantomDragon

You could but you would have to cut a hole in the side of the cowl. Looks much better inverted. You can fit a 30cc in the cowl.