Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Gee Bee Z

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Gee Bee Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:29 AM
PSJDBF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Gee Bee Z

Sorry for the loss, Did you end up trying the bigwheels ?, are you going to try another ?.[]
Old 01-03-2010, 10:54 AM
wmg706

Dont give up I piled mine up pretty bad in a stall 1st flight . Smashed first 3" of fuse but it whet back together and flies again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mk24962.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	1348164   Click image for larger version

Name:	ec88980.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	1348165   Click image for larger version

Name:	ay74033.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	1348166  
Old 01-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wmg706,

To bad about that accident.

I make the graphicxs for the Gee Bee Z. If you need the Springfield logo for the cowling, I'll send you a set for free.

You'll just have to tell me the size.

Good luck with the repair.

Charles
Old 01-03-2010, 02:10 PM
wesmel22

Thanks guys for the support . We are moving and I wont have the time to mess with the gee bee . I gave it to a man that will restore the plane . And I still have the decals.. That was my last nitro plane . I'm all gas now and getting my liscenses for a real plane !
Old 01-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Avaiojet

Kudos!

How far along are you for the "real thing."

Charles
Old 01-03-2010, 05:23 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was 'foolish' enough to do that once - have a bit over 100 hours in my log book.....but with $150+/hr rental, I think my buck will go further in MODEL aviation as opposed to Full-Scale Aviation. Of course I wasn't the youngest 'student' either

For you young bucks - GO FOR IT - and shake my hand when you are in the left seat of a 757!
Old 01-03-2010, 06:48 PM
wmg706

Thanks for the offer Avaiojet but if you go back to page 9 of this forum there are photos of my plane finished I put the cowl and tail decal on after the crash the others I still havent put on Its easier to reshrink the monokote without decals .
Old 01-03-2010, 09:27 PM
wesmel22

Well in Pa it's a 100$ hour charge and as soon as I get there I will start training . He said 40-60 hours. I'm 35 and I hope I pic it up quick enough to be succesfull enough to save me some money. I was looking at a cessna 150 but I will not be happy with thast plane and will wait until the end of 2010 to purchase a piper warrior 4 seater and I can use it as a wright off on the buissness end of things.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Avaiojet

There's no way I can express the benefits of having a pilots licence or the opportunity/privilege of owning your own airplane.

There's a downside also. Don't think there isn't.

My early interest in modeling airplanes and the generous individuals, who donated their time to teach me CL flying and model building, I started building models at age 6, is surly what prompted me to become a pilot. It wasn't just some adult whim.

Some of this "real" help I mentioned, is not quite the same as I remember. Learning modeling now is more difficult, lots have changed.

I started flying "real airplanes" at a tender age of 18. I soloed in a tail dragger.

Wasn't till the late 70's early 80's when I took General Aviation more serious.

I partnered with others for the first airplane I owned, A Piper 180. Great airplane, loads of fun!

Late 80's I purchased a Lake LA4-200T as sole owner. What a great aircraft. STOL!

I received my commercial, high performance, and seaplane ratings in this aircraft. I finished with my commercial seaplane rating because I wanted to start my own Seaplane business. And I did.

Island Air Tours.

I first operated in Newport RI, doing air tours of Newport Harbor and anything else anyone was willing to pay me for, including water demos, photography, and introductory flights. Anything to make a buck that was legal.

I moved this business to West Palm Beach, FL in 94. Same business but better weather.

Like all things, except modeling, the business came to an end. Difficult making money in general aviation.

With no regrets, I sold the Lake in late 95. No big deal. I don't even miss the airplane or water flying. In fact, life is better! Frees up time for other things.

Just another thing you did in your life, like many things you do.

When guys ask me about flying and pilot licenses, I say good luck and...

"Go for it!."

Charles
Old 01-07-2010, 10:48 PM
tailskid

Anyone doing anything 'interesting' to their GeeBee in the landing gear department? Did anyone try JB Weld at the fork area and did it work?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:28 PM
wesmel22

Thanks for the info!
As far as the jb weld I did it and it still twisted just not as bad! it would twist at the base of the landing gear where it was attacthed to the wing. there are several set screw that are at the base and if it takes a good hit it will still twist!
Old 01-10-2010, 04:28 PM
coreyh27

Hi,
I,ve just brought a Futaba 7C 2.4ghz Radio and reciever set, and i was wondering what servos you guys would recommend for theGee Bee Z? I've just ordered the plane and need to find out what servos i need and how many people ended up using for the plane.

P.s Great Video of the plane guys. Very useful to see other people with the model

Thanks, Corey.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:17 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

I'm using JR DS821's on all the flight serfaces and a JR standard for the throttle.

After looking at my landing gear, decided to have them mig welded at the top (to keep the U from turning) and bottom (to keep oleo from moving on wire strut). This will keep the wheels straight. Grind back as much of wheel pant so they don't hit wheels when the flex and line entire inside of opening with glass cloth an CA.

Just need spring to come back and I will have this bird all ready for a long flying season. Once the wheels and legs are fixed, I won't be nervous about landing. Take offs and flying are perfect with the OS 160, just need to feel confident the gear won't twist and catch the ground.

R/C Foolish
Old 01-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those interested, my review of the Gee Bee Z will be in the March Flying Models magazine, complete with a gorgeous cover shot courtesy of a field buddy.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:23 AM
coreyh27

Ok, Cool. Thanks R/C Foolish

Now for a really stupid ignorant question, lol.

Can you put JR servo's on a Futaba reciever? Or do you know what the Futaba equivilant is?

Also Sessholvlaru is there anywhere online i can read your review when it comes out?

Thanks, Corey
Old 01-11-2010, 12:34 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

Corey,

How long have you been in R/C? I hate to say this but if you don't know the answer about servos and recievers, you are not skilled enough to fly this GEE BEE. Yes you can use JR servos in a Futaba reciever. If you are new to R/C, you should not be flying this plane just because it looks cool. You may be able to take off, it definitley is a smooth flyer but you will not have the skill to land it.

Just my opinion.

R/C Foolish
Old 01-12-2010, 03:25 PM
RevGQ

Well said, as you must learn to fly the plane to the landing surface using throttle control. The good news is that, once you learn to land the Gee Bee, all other landings are cake.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:24 AM
kochj

ORIGINAL: R/C Foolish

Corey,

How long have you been in R/C? I hate to say this but if you don't know the answer about servos and recievers, you are not skilled enough to fly this GEE BEE. Yes you can use JR servos in a Futaba reciever. If you are new to R/C, you should not be flying this plane just because it looks cool. You may be able to take off, it definitley is a smooth flyer but you will not have the skill to land it.

Just my opinion.

R/C Foolish
Ohh.. GIve me a fricken break....

Most people now learn on simulators...."that is why we have so many flyers that can
Do ANYTHING the sponsored pilots do"
Just because he doesn’t know about the electronics doesn't mean he can't fly...

This plane is a PITA to land because the landing gear are a made from traditional China metals...
Or in this case Vietnam, and I am not sure what is worse...
Nice flying plane, but like most GeeBee's it is difficult to land....
Just look at all the cracked up planes on this forum post....

Old 01-18-2010, 01:32 AM
kochj

ORIGINAL: coreyh27

Ok, Cool. Thanks R/C Foolish

Now for a really stupid ignorant question, lol.

Can you put JR servo's on a Futaba reciever? Or do you know what the Futaba equivilant is?

Also Sessholvlaru is there anywhere online i can read your review when it comes out?

Thanks, Corey

The question isn't whether or not the "question" is ignorant, but rather
Is the "Answer" to your question ignorant??

Perhaps more inquiry to the skill of the pilot could have gone a different way....

Not all modelers are as full of themselves COREY.....
PM me if you have some q's that need answering....
Old 01-18-2010, 06:15 AM
gee bee ace

Great attitude foolish and revgq, real friendly help.....not[:'(]. We know nothing about coreyh27's skills as a pilot so either help him with his questions or but out.

Coreyh27
You can pretty much mix and match any servo these days occasionally you have to mod the plugs a bit here and there and then make sure you plug em in the right way around, their are a few exceptions but these are mostly odd ball servos. PM me for more info mate, i mess with most stuff when i have the time so ive picked up a bit.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:07 AM
PSJDBF

I am far from an expert RC flier, and as Kochj stated I practiced on a simulator before flying this GeeBee , hence the reason I spent alittle extra time & money on the landing gear ,to stop the dreaded GeeBee bounce.
From my experience if you ditched the original gear & got a more functional & reliable landing gear setup it would,nt be such a Drama getting her back on the ground ,yes it needs to be flown all the way down using the throttle but once the throttle is cut she slows up rapidly & settles nicely most of the problems seem to come from the gear springing back & lunching her back into the air.
Dampened gear is the answer & soft shock absorbing wheels.
Just my Opinion.
Dont be scared to ask questions Corey, most people on these forums are willing to help,even with the limit Knowledge some of us might have.
Good luck with your build & first flight , keep us informed on how it all goes.
Steff.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:21 AM
coreyh27

Wow Guys Thanks, I did work out you all weren't as bad as what R/C Foolish is.

I'll be honest i dont know a great deal about all the nitty gritty of it. I have had 3 planes..... all of which i have crashed....... and yeah like most people i have now picked up a Simulator which ive been using HEAPS but the point is unless you have good people helping you out your never going to know. Its just a shame there is people out there to ridicule you if you dont know.

I have decided against the Gee Bee Z ...... for now. But i will defintily be back one day hopefully soon.

I have decided to got with a Sportsman Aviation Paramount 3D 90 ..... ive also purchased an ASP .91FS to go in it....... and also a new 2.4Ghz Futaba 7C radio.

Looking forward to building and flying it.

I will definitly keep my eye on this post though and see what other news and videos you guys have.

Thanks, Corey
Old 01-18-2010, 04:32 PM
RevGQ

PSJDBF : when the plane stalls, it should be just inches off the ground. Even better though, fly the mains to the runway, cut throttle and let the speed bleed until the tail wants to drop. Just be sure there is enough clearance between those humongous wheel pants and tires and a bit of tow-in on the gear.

[img][/img] [img][/img]

Name:	Wu61588.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1359086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90021.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1359087  
Old 01-18-2010, 06:42 PM
tailskid

What brand/size wheels are you using on yours?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:45 PM
RevGQ

In the photo are the original foam tires that came with the kit, but I purchased some 3.5" chromes from TBM that I will be mounting.

[img][/img]

Name:	Fc90393.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1359292  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.