Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ARF prices going up?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ARF prices going up?

Old 12-11-2008, 09:42 AM
n2rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ARF prices going up?

And its a real bunch of crap that the twist 150 is going up and the plane has been discontinued.. Anyone know where i can get one online cheap let me know.. Thanks
Old 12-11-2008, 10:01 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been sport flying a Hanger 9 Funtana X 100 for the summer and really liked it. Heard that it was no longer available. A friend of mine was at a hobby shop 150 miles from home and called me that A shop had two X's for $199.00. he took one and I now have a extra. Also have a Hanger 9 C-182 in the box as a extra for the one that I am now flying.
Reminds me of Bryon's Original's that use to be made in Iowa. Good prices for them now.
Look at the price rise of the USA Today paper? Fify cents at the first of the year...now one dollar.

Guys, start building off plans again as all you see on TV is ADVERTISEMENTS!
Good Luck
Jim
Old 12-11-2008, 12:14 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: n2rc

And its a real bunch of crap that the twist 150 is going up and the plane has been discontinued.. Anyone know where i can get one online cheap let me know.. Thanks
Yeah, That's the thing that bugs me. It's probably been sitting on the shelf for months and now they want to raise the price on something that they paid very little for originally.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:47 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

[/quote]
Yeah, That's the thing that bugs me. It's probably been sitting on the shelf for months and now they want to raise the price on something that they paid very little for originally.
[/quote]

Why? Because they can.
And, it will eventually sell.
That's the business world we live in.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 PM
NorfolkSouthern

That's the deal, there. Like it or not, a business has every right to price their inventory the way they want. Again, it's the law of supply and demand. If somebody wants it bad enough, they will pay the price. Contrary to the mass media's opinion, we live in highly inflationary times, and this is with the current fed policy in light of the busted commodities bubble. The speculators have lost a lot of money in the oil, food, housing, and mortgage market. They are extremely angry, and they expect payment in full immediately. So the fed has to start another bubble someplace, and this time it is very likely to be in imported goods. Buy that Emerson microwave oven at Kohl's while it's still cheap.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 12-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Going back to the original post about the HL Stinson. The price is high, but not all ARFs are created equal and this is not the typical ARF. If you take a close look at this model, you will see that it is a step above, with the scale rib spacing and int internally driven flaps and a little more scale detail than most models. Also, it is huge....9 foot wingspan.

1099 is certainly expensive, but you cannot compare this unusual and off the beaten path model to a $300 ARF of smaller size that is a commonly modeled subject and has less quailty.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:22 PM
rclement

ORIGINAL: outacontrol41

[/quote]

Why? Because they can.
And, it will eventually sell.
That's the business world we live in.
[/quote]

Don't know if it matters but they lost my sale. They're going to have to sell it to some other schmuck. I'm not falling for it.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Auburn02

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I decided to buy a H9 Ultra Stick after I lost a plane in a mid-air yesterday, only to realize that the Ultra Stick that was $119 or $129 as recently as this summer is now $179. Maybe the child labor market is drying up in Thailand?

ORIGINAL: chistech

Was told at my LHS today that H9s went up again, 2nd increase recently.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Thomas B

Going back to the original post about the HL Stinson. The price is high, but not all ARFs are created equal and this is not the typical ARF. If you take a close look at this model, you will see that it is a step above, with the scale rib spacing and int internally driven flaps and a little more scale detail than most models. Also, it is huge....9 foot wingspan.

1099 is certainly expensive, but you cannot compare this unusual and off the beaten path model to a $300 ARF of smaller size that is a commonly modeled subject and has less quailty.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I first responded. Obviously this plane required more of someone's time to get to the level it is at. When I got into this hobby 6-7 mos ago, I thought these were big conglomerate companies (i.e. Hobbico/Great Planes/OS/Futaba -> buying out Goldberg and Lanier?) and thought it was absurd to charge hundreds or thousands of dollars for balsa and plastic flying models. Then I got a 'loaded' plane - a copy of a well known plane designer's own hard work. I then realized that many of these planes are designed by individuals or very small companies, and require HUNDREDS of hours to perfect! Imagine if you had to work countless hours making corrections, test flying, traveling to China to oversee quality - how could you possibly sell a plane for under a few hundred bucks?

I think paying a thousand dollars for a run-of-the-mill production semi-scale model is a bit nuts. But, if you're REALLY into scale, and want something like this aforementioned plane, a thousand dollars doesn't seem so absurd anymore.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of us that have been modeling for a while we have realized how spoiled all of us have become!!! Although I'm "only" 47 years young I have been modeling for 40 years...When Arfs started to become popular in the '80's they were rather expensive...$250-$300 for a .40 size EZ P-51 that had a plywood crutch for a fuselage and printed foam board...THAT'S RIGHT!!!....FOAM BOARD!!!....covering over the structure...Remember that?!?!?!!!...These ARFs were non-repairable if only slightly damaged...Then there were ARFs made with a PVC fuselage with foam core wings where the wings had a thin PVC covering over them...Boy, have we come a LOOOOOONG way!!!

Over the years ARFs became better made and repairable...Todays well made ARFs actually came from a kit design...Those of us that have built a few models from kits can relate to this...ARF costs came down to the point that it was LESS EXPENSIVE to buy an ARF than to buy a kit, build it, and cover it yourself....Much less buy all of the associated hardware that we have come to expect to be included with ARFs...

Looks like the good ole days of well made inexpensive ARFs may be coming to an end...And we hate this...However, if you know where to look you can still find a deal or two like this 50cc ARF Yak for only $249.99...

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82037.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	1089519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34305.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1089521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27188.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1089522   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98366.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1089523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sj71519.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1089524  
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2008, 03:36 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I hope that some of the arf companies will start offering their line as kits, some of them are pretty well designed to make for fast building, also you would know what you had for glue in there...

Where I think it will end up is higher priced arfs of course... but I wouldn't be surprised if only about one third of the selection will be left ...so it may be a bit trickier to get anything thats not main stream, cub, p51 etc....
Old 12-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Rufcut

I just wonder what $1100 worth of balsa and plywood looks like. Seems like you could build one cheaper. In any case, I think ARF prices are getting a little out of hand. Two major price increases this year.[:@] I plan on going back to kit building. It may not be cheaper but at least I get the fun of building.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:47 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea, there might be alot more 1/8th baltic birch ply sold, along with door skin material