Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger 120 bites the dust

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Goldberg Tiger 120 bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 06:53 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Tiger 120 bites the dust

Along with classics like the Falcons, Skylark, Protege (both kit and ARF), Gentle Lady ARF, Freedom 20, Decathlon and others, the Tiger 120 is now gone. Can anybody venture a guess on how much longer Goldberg is going to last since Great Planes bought them out?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 12-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Ram Jet

Default RE: Goldberg Tiger 120 bites the dust

Pose the question to Great Planes. I recently had a very positive experience with their customer service personnel. Believe me they care. If there is a demand they will meet it - they ain't stupid. Hey out there, nearly 400,000 members have clout. Speak up brothers and sisters!

Bill
Old 12-24-2008, 08:00 AM
dignlivn

It appears we are seeing more toys in our hobby
and less aircrafts. JMO,

Bob
Old 12-24-2008, 10:04 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: dignlivn

It appears we are seeing more toys in our hobby
and less aircrafts. JMO,
This is true, but you also have to figure into the equation how many more people are involved in the hobby since the introduction of those "Toys"

Back in the 40's - 80's if you wanted to fly, you had to build a plane, cover it, install the engine and radio, etc. etc. etc.

When the quality of ARF's improved in the 90's and this decade, we saw a vast influx of new fliers, and with the advent of Park Fliers and other "Toys" we've seen a huge influx.

With the arrival of so many new hobbyists, prices have been drastically reduced and technology has grown by leaps and bounds to accommodate all these new people (Things like 2.4GHZ systems)

So it's not like the "Toys" are invading our hobby, the Glow fliers are still flying their glow planes, and the gassers are still tearing up the sky, and the Heli fliers are doing... whatever the hell that is they're doing.

We just have a new breed in our midst.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:58 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I figure they know how many they sold. If the sales were significant enough to justify keeping it around, they would.

Another thing to consider is that GP bought up Lanier/Goldberg. This was a separate business with it's own suppliers, ways of doing things, etc. I have no idea what goes on at GP/Hobbico but I imagine that it is possible that a lot of the Goldberg stuff may have to be adapted to the GP way of doing things. Maybe things could go away temporarily until that happens? I don't want to sound like one of those people on here who pretends to know what goes on inside all the manufacturers with all there corporate conspiracies and all.

One thing I do know though... companies try to offer what sells. If it doesn't sell, it becomes a burden and must go away.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:18 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I would at least like them to bring back the Lanier Stinger ARFs, but I'm certainly not anticipating it. I have the .10, and it was built and packaged surprisingly well. I haven't assembled it yet. But, I did get the discontinued Citabria done, and it's probably the best and easiest flying plane in my fleet. It's even more stable and forgiving than either of my two Slow Pokes. They must have done something right at one point.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 12-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Honestly, I think it has everything to do with sales. Bottom line is that it was a poor seller and did not acheive the sales level they had hoped for. Simple as that. How many have you seen around? I've only seen one and it's owned by an older fellow in our club. I should mention that we call him "Tiger Ross." He has the .40 size Tiger 2, three .60 size Tigers and two Tiger knock-offs (Clamato).
Old 12-27-2008, 08:15 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

could it also be that they just bought up the competition to do away w/them? i don't about you guys out there but cgb products were top drawn in my opinion. lanier was coming on strong with improved quality stuff to!!! now it's gp and sig. who's next to go!!! i have cgb extra 330 arf (needs some up grades), the stinson station wagon, tiger .60, love how relaxed it flys, great plane. i don't mind gp buying up these companys, it could even be good for us, i don't know and time will tell. hopefully they are just reoganizing things and will reup all the good ones again, hope so anyway. be shame to lose them forever!!!![] well i thot i could get this post to inform me of any later posts but don't see a button for that
Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 PM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

could it also be that they just bought up the competition to do away w/them? i don't about you guys out there but cgb products were top drawn in my opinion. lanier was coming on strong with improved quality stuff to!!! now it's gp and sig. who's next to go!!! i have cgb extra 330 arf (needs some up grades), the stinson station wagon, tiger .60, love how relaxed it flys, great plane. i don't mind gp buying up these companys, it could even be good for us, i don't know and time will tell. hopefully they are just reoganizing things and will reup all the good ones again, hope so anyway. be shame to lose them forever!!!![]