Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Backyard flyer suggestions

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Backyard flyer suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Backyard flyer suggestions

Guys;

I need suggestions on a good foam backyard flyer. I want something under 16 ozs; 40 inch or so wingspan; 4 channel; with no wheels; rugged enough to withstand grass belly landings. I'm already working on an Easy Star and a Formosa, but am looking for something else; maybe a warbird or scale plane.

My backyard gives me at least 100 yards left-right direction; over 200 yards out in front. I will be hand launching and belly landing. Right now, I'm using a GWS Pico Sick F, a Parkzone J-3 Cub, and a Hobby Lobby Yak; all brushless and LiPo. They are all fun; but 3 channel is getting boring. The Yak is great, but a bit too delicate. Even easy landings tend to inflict small damage that adds up after a few flights. It's easy to repair, but...

I'm thinking anything balsa won't hold up to the wear and tear. I'd prefer brushless and LiPo, just for the ease of maintenance, light weight and power. Slow and easy will be fine; mildly aerobatic as well. I don't need full aerobatics. But, nothing too delicate. And, with homes nearby, I don't want anything heavy or too big. I fly nitro at a nearby club field; just looking for something for those "only have a few minutes" days. Suggestions? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:39 PM
sir crashallot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Backyeard flyer suggestions

i always thought about converting a kite into a microlite
Old 01-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Ram Jet

Default RE: Backyeard flyer suggestions

Backyard? You've got a RANCH! Hey I've seen the You Tube videos of the Extra 300 Ss being hand launched vertically. They funtion as a VTOL. Prop walk all over the place. Who needs a chopper. Forget your park flyer. Go big. Wack the throttle and hand launch it yourself.

Bill
Old 01-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Witterings

Default RE: Backyard flyer suggestions

If you want durability maybe look at Mulituplex's planes, I hand launch and belly land both their ParkMaster and Acromaster and both fly incredibly well.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the Multiplex offerings. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:54 AM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out http://www.chargerrc.com/ I have flown the CR-1 and have the shockwave bip. They are foam kits that really fly great. Mine are always hand launched and land with almost no foward speed. They can be flown anywhere. I use hacker 20-20l motos with 10x4.7 slow fly props and 1320 lipos on both.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:52 PM
BXC53

+1 for the Charger RC CR-1. I've had one for my backyard flyer for over a year. Excellent flyer and extremely durable. I use a hacker A20-20L with an APC 11X3.8 prop on 3S. I use 640 3S lipos in light/no winds or a 1300 3S if its windy for the extra weight. It will fly fine in gusty winds over 10 mph ( I have a treed lot with interesting wind patterns).