Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

KMP SBD Dauntless *NEW pics*

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

KMP SBD Dauntless *NEW pics*

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:45 PM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: KMP SBD Dauntless *NEW pics*

Andrew, I am assembling the new Skyraider , large B-25 with a dynamic cockpit and gun turrent kit, and will also assemble \the new Cirrus. The Skyraider will have the Evolution 26GT in the nose, the B-25 two Fuji 24s, I was wondering what you recomend for the Cirrus as far as gas goes. I know you are comming out with some gas engines of your own. Will a gas engine fit in the cowl of the Cirrus very well. With the high cost of glow fuel theses days I have made the decission to either go electric or gas for my models. Give me your thoughts please. I will look forward to seeing the Dauntless at Toledo.
Regards,
Gary
Old 01-19-2009, 07:46 PM
kahloq

This is an excellent looking plane. Awesome dive brakes too. The CMP ME-109 has split radiator flaps that can also work as dive brakes. I have that plane and i can attest in person it looks really cool having them deployed.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:05 PM
ghost.fr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: AKondor

Dauntless Cowl 193MM (7.6in) X 210mm (8.2in)
210 IN LARGE (Diameter)?

Old 01-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

I have never had a warbird in all my years of flying but looking to get my first. This is a very nice looking plane and since I can’t find a T-28 Trojan this size I’m taking a good look at the Dauntless. I am not familiar with all the markings on warbirds so what does the #45 tell you on the fuse and cowl? On the KMP website the fuse length is not listed. Is this one going to be like most warbirds and need a lot of nose weight? I’m looking at running a G26/EI on the business end. I have had mechanical retracts before but never air operated. Down the line I’ll probably be asking about the do’s & don’ts of hooking up all the lines, valves, etc.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:11 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Zippi many warbirds do not need a ton of nose weight , its typically the short nose warbirds like the Fw190 , seafury ect .
Even those planes can have the nose weight reduced with careful planning , engine choice , bigger on board batterys ect so if weight cant be advoided it can be useable weight .
I have never owned an SBD , so I really cant tell by the pics if it fits into the short nose profile of the warbird category
Old 01-24-2009, 09:15 AM
LDM

The more I study the SBD ,,i just cant believe how much it looks like a AT6 !!!! . I dont know the history on this plane yet , but its almost as if the At6 was used for trainging and the pilots said" hey love the plane , how do we make it more of a fighter " again history buffs dont bash me , If I get the plane I will learn everything about it as possible , but at this time I am totally clueless on its history .
I wonder if the flight characteristics are the same ?
Old 01-24-2009, 02:45 PM
kahloq

They do look similar and so the Dauntless will fly relatively close to how an AT-6 will.......except the real planes had a sizeable weight difference with the SBD Dauntless coming in over 2000 pounds heavier empty weight. Part of the weight is the difference is motors used. The AT-6 had a 600HP pratt and whitney while the Dauntless started with a 1000HP and finally had a 1200HP cyclone wright radial.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:33 PM
LDM

Thanks very cool info
Old 01-24-2009, 07:38 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Here is some "INTERNET KNOWLEDGE"

History: In the spring of 1938, a Northrop dive-bomber designated the BT-1 entered service with the US Navy. Its influence was felt over at the Douglas Company, where a new naval dive-bomber was designed and produced based on the Northrop design. Initially designated the XBT-2, the new design was later called the SBD when Northrop was bought out by the Douglas Company. Production began in 1940, and although the SBD had a general likeness to its Northrop predecessor, it was a completely different airplane. Testing of the prototype (with a 1,000-hp Wright Cyclone engine) revealed an exceptionally capable airplane.

In April 1939, the US Marine Corps and US Navy placed orders for the SBD-1 and SBD-2, respectively, the latter having increased fuel capacity and revised armament. The first SBD-1s entered service with the Marines' VMB-2 Squadron in late 1940, and the first SBD-2s joined the Navy in early 1941. The next variant to appear, the SBD-3, entered service in March 1941, and incorporated self-sealing and larger fuel tanks, armor protection, a bullet-proof windshield, and four machine guns. The SBD-4 followed with an upgraded 24-volt electrical system, and a few of these were converted to SBD-4P reconnaissance platforms.

The next, and most produced, variant was the SBD-5, which was built at Douglas's new Tulsa, Oklahoma plant. It had a 1,200-hp R-1820-60 engine and increased ammunition capacity. Over 2,400 SBD-5s were built, and a few were shipped to the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm, under the designation Dauntless DB.Mk I, but these were never used operationally. Mexico also took delivery of a small number of SBD-5s. The SBD-6, the final variant, had an even more powerful engine and greater fuel capacity.

Meanwhile, the US Army, realizing that it did not have a dive bomber equal in capability to Germany's Ju 87 Stuka, ordered the SBD-3 in 1941, under the designation A-24. This aircraft was identical to the Navy airplanes except it did not have an arresting hook, and its tailwheel had an inflated tire instead of a solid rubber one. The A-24 was never found to be of great use during WWII, as its range and performance were inadequate for service in the South Pacific, and the dive-bombing mission was of little use elsewhere. Nevertheless, the A-24 (and later the A-24A, equivalent of the SBD-4; and A-24B, equivalent of the SBD-5) remained in service with the US Army Air Corps for several years after the war.

Nicknames: Barge; Clunk; Speedy-D; Speedy-3; Slow But Deadly; Banshee (A-24).

Specifications (SBD-6):
Engine: One 1,350-hp Wright R-1820-66 Cyclone 9-cylinder radial piston engine
Weight: Empty 6,535 lbs., Max Takeoff 9,519 lbs.
Wing Span: 41ft. 6in.
Length: 33ft. 0in.
Height: 12ft. 11in.
Performance:
Maximum Speed: 255 mph
Cruising Speed: 185 mph
Ceiling: 25,200 ft.
Range: 773 miles
Armament:
Two forward firing 12.7-mm (0.5-inch) machine guns;
Two 7.62-mm (0.3-inch) machine guns on flexible mounts;
Under-fuselage mountings for up to 1,600 pounds of bombs;
Wing hard-points for up to 650 pounds of bombs.

Number Built: 5,936

Number Still Airworthy: 3

REFERENCE: http://www.warbirdalley.com/sbd.htm

ORDER NOW: http://vqwarbirds.com/products/aircraft/KMPSBD.html

-CHEERS!

-TOMAS
VQ WARBIRDS
VQ, ASM , KMP STOCKING DEALER
www.vqwarbirds.com
[email protected]
Old 01-25-2009, 12:19 AM
kochj

Ahhh...

My 4-year old wanted a back gunner on this one...

I guess it would have been tricky to do and have it not look cheap..
Old 01-25-2009, 07:05 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

The SBD enjoyed great success in the hands of the navy. Although consisdered nearly obsolete at the beginning of the war, it had a good record in combat
It was the key aircraft in the battle of Midway, sinking four Japanese carriers in the course of the fight.

For a bomber, it was quite agile and, in a pinch, was sometimes used on CAP missions when there wern't enough fighters to do the job.
It was very effective at Guadalcanal and numerous other battles in the Pacific.
If I am not mistaken it sank more enemy warships in WWII than any other aircraft.
In a nutshell, it was a very successful plane and there is a lot to know about it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=sot...result#PPA2,M1
Old 02-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Andrew,

Looking at the leading edge of the wing you can see a hint of white. Is the bottom of the wing white. A Pic would be nice. Also, do you have the length of the fuse.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:41 PM
deothoric

ORIGINAL: JL1

The SBD enjoyed great success in the hands of the navy. Although consisdered nearly obsolete at the beginning of the war, it had a good record in combat
It was the key aircraft in the battle of Midway, sinking four Japanese carriers in the course of the fight.

For a bomber, it was quite agile and, in a pinch, was sometimes used on CAP missions when there wern't enough fighters to do the job.
It was very effective at Guadalcanal and numerous other battles in the Pacific.
If I am not mistaken it sank more enemy warships in WWII than any other aircraft.
In a nutshell, it was a very successful plane and there is a lot to know about it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=sot...result#PPA2,M1
The SBD was an excellent workhorse whose crews earned their place in history but the record holder for sinking shipping has to go to the Fairey Swordfish I think you'll find.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 AM
BsSmith

Does it have a working bomb drop and swing arm? I'm trying to decide which KMP ARF to get, they're all good!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:10 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Yeah and you get a real bomb with it.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:27 PM
corsaircrazy
My Feedback: (2)

Well, they just pinged my credit card, so I guess I have one on the way... Now just waiting for the big brown truck...

I have just finished the KMP P-51D with the Aerovate 26cc motor. Works out to be a really nice combo. Engine fits perfect. Lots of power... Just need to replace my air tank before I maiden it.
I like this engine so much, I will probably get one for the Dauntless.

CC
Old 03-23-2009, 08:29 PM
LDM

CC , can you post some info on the engine ?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:16 PM
corsaircrazy

LDM, this engine is the same one KMP sells. Used to be RCGF 26cc. Now Aerovate is the distributor.
Great little engine! Rear carb is nice for narrow cowls. Also Keleo is now making inverted pitts exhaust systems for this motor. (I wish I knew about that before I cut my cowl). The Keleo exhaust is for the KMP corsair, but should fit the SBD's cowl easily. They are supposed to fit in the cowl without any trimming of fiberglass. I am using a Xoar 18*8 prop and it turns about 7100rpm
Some engine specs:

Aerovate 26cc
Engine Displacement (cc)-26cc Maximum Output-2.6hp/1.85KW Weight - with ignition & muffler- 39.6 ounces (1122g) Weight - w/o ignition & muffler- 34.4 ounces (975g) Speed range-1500-8000rpm Propeller-18*8 7100 rpm Full accessory package includes - Muffler, engine stand-offs, spark plug, bolts, tools, electronic ignition

http://www.zrcgf.com/store/Details.c...=27&category=2

Hope this helps

CC
Old 03-24-2009, 04:53 AM
LDM

Thanks , I bought a saito 200 4 stroke for my KMP corsair , but I would like to get another gas engine and you sound really happy with this one .
I am looking at the Dauntless as my next plane , so this engine might just do the trick !!!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:08 PM
AKondor

Hi: The SBD Dauntless is shipping now. Planes should be arriving anytime. We just finished our display model for the Toledo show..... pictures to come soon.

There was a request for the length of the kit be posted:
MODEL: SBD
Length: 1400mm(55”)
Wing span: 1803mm(71”)
Wing area: 52.9sq.dm(5.7sq.ft)
Wing loading: 117.2g/sq.dm(38.4oz/sq.ft)
Flying weight: 6200g(13.7lbs)
Radio: 6ch & 9servos
Engine: 150 fs.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:04 PM
corsaircrazy

Andrew, got the plane on Friday... AWSOME. I do have a question.. do you have a full scale drawing of the plywood cowling former that everyone, including me, seem to be missing in the kit? If you have the former.. great, but I can make one if I have a template.

thanks,
CC
Old 03-31-2009, 09:04 PM
AKondor

hi:

I just found out that all kits are missing the formers... [] I will send them out as soon as they arrive. The factory tells me that they are already on the way by Air mail. My sincere appologies to everyone about the missing former but they are coming at any moment. (mine doesn't have it either... I glued in ply wood blocks)
Old 04-01-2009, 03:56 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Andrew:

What scale is the SBD kit?...Looking forward to getting mine....
Old 04-01-2009, 05:27 AM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

How about some coupons so some of us don't have to spend near a grand on a R/C plane? I spent $550 total including the RX, battery, engine and exhaust with my Hanger 9 Fokker and it looks really good... get the picture?

I don't mean to sound like a Jerk, but your prices are very high for the average builder and flyer. I'd have to have 2 jobs just to afford a plane from your company, unless I buy the Beaver from your site... and I'm not a big fan of that plane. []
Old 04-01-2009, 08:50 AM
corsaircrazy

Luftwaffe Oberst... in just a few words.... you get what you pay for.... these are Quality kits...Fiberglass and beautiful paint... rivets and panel lines are moulded into the glass... H9 planes are just what you said.. for the modeler on a budget...KMP's kick it up a notch

just my 2 cents worth.

CC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.