Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

KMP SBD Dauntless *NEW pics*

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

KMP SBD Dauntless *NEW pics*

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:27 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: KMP SBD Dauntless *NEW pics*

"OMG, I'm building a TF GS P-51B that's getting dangerously close to $5,000; I also have a CARF Extra 300L that cost close to $4,000 and a 1/4 scale 304CZ glider that has cost over $4,000 and the list goes on"

I think your really missing his point , its not about the value he is getting for the new ARfs being offered , its simply not in his current budget .

Its perfactly normal to think that $1000 for a remote control plane is expensive , very normal .
Your better off picking a good warbird offering at a lower cost that you can enjoy and afford to maintain in your budget .

With the really great new offerings from Great Planes in the WW1 biplane line , its a super way to enjoy a low maintainence warbirds that are very high in quality .

I am fortunite enought to be able to afford the new ESM line , and still bashing away at my CMP warbirds . For me its about Value for the money and ESM is now delivering and exceeding well abouve CMP .

I only wish the esm Fw190 was $300 before I started my CMP Fw190 bash
Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 AM
stevenservo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice i want one now lol
Old 08-12-2010, 11:58 AM
pmk01

Ok, I've read this site 3 times now, if the info is here, and I've missed it, I'm blinder than I thought! I intend to make mine electric also. Where and how are you folks installing your main batteries?
Old 08-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

I had the priviledge of putting the maiden flight on local R/Cer Ed Furche's ESM Dauntless this past May. Ed and I went out to fly it a couple of days before our local Warbird event that he wanted to participate in.

I am drawing a blank on the powerplant he had in the model. It was glow and a 2 stroke, but I must be getting old... The only powerplant issue was that Ed kept the cowl too scale and did not allow enough cooling air entry or exit on the first flight...motor got a little warm and we quit a bit early.

In any case, all else went very, very well, both on the maiden and on te first public flight at the event. Great flying model. Ed was at the aft of the CG range and it was a little snappy if you tried to do too tight of a loop. A little more nose weight and reduction of elevator rate turned it into a great flying model. Retracts worked well, speed brakes/dive flaps worked like a champ.

Takeoffs and landings were well behaved...you do need a healthy dose of right rudder on takeoff, but it would not be a warbird taildragger if you did not need that! Was fairly easy to three point or near three point with a tiny blip of throttle in the flare.

One very nice looking and nice flying model. All of you with this model are are going to like how it flies!
Old 08-14-2010, 08:24 PM
UK Warbird Guy

Here are some pics of how mine turned out after some tweeking... From YT International in the Uk using stock landing gear.

Enjoy its a great Kit !

Going for the new YT Texan next when it arrives.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52357.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1483957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77939.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1483958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50377.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1483959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59924.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1483960   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76572.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1483961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22280.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1483962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23724.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1483963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw62794.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1483964  

Old 08-16-2010, 06:03 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

I remember that you sold this correct ? did it ever fly
Old 09-06-2010, 09:11 AM
efurche

Tom, Thanks for posting this. As some of you know, the Dauntless went down in a fun fly in Sherman, Texas last month.

It was hot, there was a crosswind, blowing away from the runway, and the test pilot Gary Cummings , was not used to flying a scale model with a large radial cowl. In no way do I fault him for what happened. He is a dear friend, and one of the best RC pilots in the FW Thunderbirds.

As we frantically tried to re-trim the model (Tom had it trimmed out, but we neutralized an aileron that was trimmed down BIG MISTAKE, We were being encouraged to move into the pilot’s box, though no one else was flying or attempting to fly….

The crosswind was pushing the SBD further away, and Gary’s throttle position was too low to bring her around. Being a rather small dark color, it is easy to get disoriented, The SBD went down. The airframe was totally destroyed, but all parts were salvageable including the cockpit detail.

The good news!!! The 2nd Dauntless is almost half finished. The learning curve is tremendous. Expect a completion date of end of September.

Tom, hope you can test fly and trim the 2nd one. I promise not to touch anything afterwards.

Ed Furche FW Thunderbirds.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:34 AM
UK Warbird Guy

ORIGINAL: LDM

I remember that you sold this correct ? did it ever fly
Apparentlty it did.. I have asked its new owner for some pics but nothing has arrived yet...

Would do another one any day !!

Wayne
Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 AM
doswings

I realize I'm asking questions about a post that's a couple of years old but will take a chance that I can get some advise. You have a rather detailed note on the retracts that ESM sells for their Dauntless. When I trial fit mine they would not retract fully to the locked up position as the upper wing skin bottomed out the wheel. The only way I can think of to get them fully retracted and locked is to build up the plywood mounting plate to where the metal retract plate is almost flush to the bottom wing skin. I'n not comfortable with air pressure alone keeping them retracted and sag free when pulling out of a dive. Did your fit well or did you run into the same issue.
Rich