Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Anyone fly a Carl goldberg Tiger2

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Anyone fly a Carl goldberg Tiger2

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 03:54 PM
C. McManamay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone fly a Carl goldberg Tiger2

Has anyone flew a Carl Goldberg Tiger2? How did it fly what kind of engine/reciever/servos did you use?
Old 06-06-2003, 05:42 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have not owned one, but have flown a few. I did own A CG Sky Tiger ( call it the Tiger I). They have all flown very well.
I have flown one with a OS 40la. If you just want to cruise around, this would be an ok engine. Flew one with a ST.45. Limited vertical, but great for this plane. Flew one with a 4 cyc but not sure what size it was. It was the funest one. (Controls were set at very high rates).
Our Sky Tiger flew with a cheap old 4 channel futaba. (had to use alkaline batteries in it), until we purchased our first 5 channel.
Others I have flown have been on different radios, mostly 4 channels (you really don't need more for this one). All of the servos and stuff were standard equipment.

Now I did have The Tigers big brother (Tiger 60) I would highly recommend getting it if you can. I only had a .61 on mine, but it was all it needed for some fun flying. Vertical was limited, but it would go quite high before it fell off.

All the tigers I have flown have been very docile when throttled back and rates low. They just float around. Hit the juice and turn up the throws and they can perform all the basic aerobatics.
I've heard people have used them for novice pattern competition.

If you are looking for a great plane in the "Sunday Flier" catagory get this one, you won't be dissapointed!!
Old 06-06-2003, 05:55 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This design is having somewhat of a comeback at my field. New ones are popping up all the time. It appears to be a good flier. Probably a little hotter than a Sig 4*.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:53 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Great flying plane.....I've been flying the heck out of mine for almost 2 years.....just flew it last night. A few months back I converted it to a taildragger....best ground handling taildragger I have.......I have a Super Tigre .45 on mine. The throws are cranked up pretty good and it is a very fun plane....the ARF is built to last also.

Mike
Old 06-06-2003, 08:53 PM
jwoolridge

I had one up until a few weeks ago. Loved the thing. I flew the thing with 7 servos: 2 elevator, 2aileron, 1 rudder, 1 throttle, 1 bomb release. I had mine modified for dual elevator and dual ailerons. I converted it the day I got it. I personnally got it used. It was built from a kit, test flown once and then sold to a friend who then sold it to me. I also converted it to tail dragger and built in a bomb release for a few laughs.
I powered mine with a OS 40 LA first but I found it had a lack of power so I installed a OS 60 FS (4 stroke) which made the plane a lot more fun.
I pilled the plane in on the 16 or 17 flight on an inverted pass when the elevator/rudder servo tray came loose. I Plan on building another one myself this winter from a kit.
Overall I really liked the way this plane flew and would definetly recomend this plane to anyone with a bit of trainer expirience who wanted to move to a more agile aircraft.
James
Old 06-06-2003, 10:06 PM
airwethead

I built one from kit a few years back, and I still have it and love it! I also built mine as a taildragger, with enlarged rudder and elevator. I have a YS 45 two stroke on it now, and it is TOO FAST! I am going to take the YS off and put the OS 46FX back on. It was perfect with this combination. I use standard ball bearing servos in mine (hitec HS 425s) and haven't had a problem. I am one of the guys who has flown this plane in IMAC basic competition, it is a very aerobatic, but also easy flying plane. You cant go wrong with this plane. Put a good BB .46 on it, and use standard BB servos, and you will have an excellent flyer!
Old 06-06-2003, 11:34 PM
bobfox
My Feedback: (1)

Mine is powered by an OS 70 four stroke, five servos with a JR radio and built with trike gear. Had it for about 5 years now and flew it last about three months ago.

Flies a good bit like a pattern plane- goes where it's pointed and very stable. Does most aerobatics well but isn't a 3D airplane (And wasn't designed to be). The OS is way more power than it needs but that works well for me. (My overall favorite plane is a Super Hots with a two stroke 90, so I like the throttle to be effective!)

I guess the best testimony for the Tiger is my son. He flies once or twice a year when he visits me. He warms up on my LT-40 then goes to the Tiger and pretty much flies the pants off it for the rest of the day- even though he has a number of different planes, including the Super hots, from which to choose.

Best of luck.

Bob