Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hobby People Shipping Scam

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hobby People Shipping Scam

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Clay Walters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobby People Shipping Scam

Well, its no scam but I can see where its misleading. So far they've been great to me; in fact they gave me the free shipping when it turned out they didn't have all the items I ordered. They called me and told me the delima and I explained I only ordered that many to take advantage of the free shipping. They only charged me for what I received and honored the free shipping because I did order it.

And when I've ordered the shipping charges have always shown with the credit only showing up when I completed the checkout.

Regards,

Clay
Old 01-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Kmot

I just received a 6lb 4oz plane in a box 34"X8"X13" and was charged $19.99 shipping.

Your box was 96" for shipping purposes, and 84" is the limit before it goes to "oversise".

http://postcalc.usps.gov/PopUps/pop_up16.htm
I thought it was girth + length, which in this case is only 76 inches.
You're right. I used the length figure as part of the girth and miscalculated. Perhaps an employee at HP did the same. Call them and ask to clarify if your package was indeed oversized and the surcharge was valid.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:58 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

roknhs,
I'm really curious what Hobby People's reply was, when you questioned them about this. You did contact them, correct?
Old 01-24-2009, 02:03 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

shopping virgin
Old 01-24-2009, 02:10 PM
opjose

There was an interesting article on MSN last week which read something like.... "Say goodby to ALL Free Shipping, you'll be paying one way or another now.".

Old 01-24-2009, 02:46 PM
ppkk

So let me get this straight: you put the item in your cart, placed the order, and there was never a $19.99 shipping charge in your total, correct? If this is the case, then you have a legitimate case and I am certain by presenting a copy of your order confirmation to them they would refund your shipping charge (which I assume you would have already done since you'd have the proof of purchase in your hands.)

If not, then, you should look at yourself in the mirror for the source of the problem. I understand that you'd still be frustrated, but blaming this on them by calling this a scam would certainly not be fair, right?
Old 01-24-2009, 03:24 PM
porthole200

They are a good company to do business with. Always treated me more than fairly. Great prices, too.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:38 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've dealt with them for several years and never had any problem.

here is the main contact guy at the company and the one that is at all the trade shows. He is a regular on RCU

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...rofile&forum=1

Hobby People service email is [email protected]
Mike Greenshields' direct email is [email protected]
Old 01-24-2009, 05:27 PM
roknHS

Good discussion gents............I don't really care if you agree with my terminology or not.
My intent was to alert buyers to a deception............the advertising is deceptive to all but the most learned shipping scholars...........I congratulate all you shipping junkies on picking up on "Dimensional" weight rather than actual weight. I would venture a guess that a large number of would be buyers have no idea what "Dimensional" weight is.

No matter, the dirty deed has been Day Lighted.

Now, I have a life outside these forums and I suggest you follow my lead and go find something else to occupy your leisure hours...............hopefully something constructive............lest you be labeled a "Bottom Feeder" by Greg Hahn............
Old 01-24-2009, 05:36 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

So it's great to cry wolf and hope that everyone is full of sympathy for your lack of attention to what you're buying, but when people point that out to you it's not so great?

Surprise, surprise...
Old 01-24-2009, 06:27 PM
chopper man

The sad part about it is that it most definitly show the shipping charges before he checked out and he still missed it. Oh well live and learn. I was going to order the Cessna 421 from Nitro planes until I saw the shipping charges then I backed out. Most likely a good decision seeing all the bad comments about Nitro Planes.

chopper
Old 01-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

My last HP invoice was confusing as well. I was supposed to get free shipping but when I saw the invoice (which was different from my emailed reciept) It showed a $4.99 shipping charge. On further examination I noticed that they reduced the cost of the items...each by a few cents...to add up to the $4.99 they charged me for shipping!!! HUH?! It must be a new accounting system they are trying out. Was it too difficult to just charge me $0.00 for shipping?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

And another thing, why are we still paying fuel surcharges to shippers when fuel is cheaper than it's been in 8 years!
Old 01-26-2009, 02:22 PM
grassroots

That's why I don't order from them. I looked at several models and even the small 40 size planes still gets the $19.99 shipping fee.[:'(]

To me that's crazy $20.00 bucks to ship is just way to much for a 40 size plane.[sm=confused.gif] Tower Hobbies ships all day day long for $9.99, of course I get free shipping on anything over $149.99 because I belong to the super saver club. Might think about going with Tower Hobbies.

I had a friend order the T-28 from Hobby People before X-mass and he got the free shipping on that plane, I guess they decided to break it off in people now![:@]
Old 01-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Puff The Magic Dragon
My Feedback: (2)

Quit Bashing Hobby People, Because You Can't Read Your Invoice Before You Place Your Order. I Have Never Had A Bad Order With Them Since 1989, I Buy Stuff From Them All The Time, They Have To Pay UPS Like Everyone Else. Sure They Get A Discounted Rate Because of The Volume. I Bet Their Monthly UPS Bill Would Scare You. I Also Am A Tower Supersaver Club Member, Free Shipping On Orders Over $149.00 & $9.99 On Everthing Else.

So Quit Your Bashing And Read The Invoice.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:09 PM
chopper man

Just placed an order with Tower and joined the super saver for $9.99 for one year. I also got free shipping on this order. So I already saved the membership fee. If you look at the bottom line before you hit the place order you would see the shipping cost if any.

chopper
Old 01-27-2009, 11:08 AM
chashint

ORIGINAL: Puff The Magic Dragon

Quit Bashing Hobby People, Because You Can't Read Your Invoice Before You Place Your Order. I Have Never Had A Bad Order With Them Since 1989, I Buy Stuff From Them All The Time, They Have To Pay UPS Like Everyone Else. Sure They Get A Discounted Rate Because of The Volume. I Bet Their Monthly UPS Bill Would Scare You. I Also Am A Tower Supersaver Club Member, Free Shipping On Orders Over $149.00 & $9.99 On Everthing Else.

So Quit Your Bashing And Read The Invoice.
ditto
Old 01-27-2009, 03:32 PM
chopper man

Now you've done it It looks like HP has removed their free shipping. Nice going
Old 01-27-2009, 07:49 PM
telejojo

You won't get free shipping from Tower if it's oversize even if you are a MEMBER..................................
Old 01-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I find it amazing that someone can complain about having a giant, fragile package delivered to their door, probably from hundreds or even thousands of miles away, for $20. If you don't want to pay shipping, why don't you just drive and pick it up?

These 'scam' rates you see are incredibly discounted shipping rates. How much do you think it would cost YOU to ship a .40 size plane with UPS? Have you tried ordering a plane from a smaller shop, like Wild Hare, Aero-Works, etc.? They can be up to $60-$80, even more for a bigger plane shipped.

I think we should be very thankful that we can get these products, have them delivered to our doors, not pay tax, and have warranty and damage coverage for only $20. That's like an hour or two of work to have a plane shipped across the country.

I'm a super saver member too, but I buy things elsewhere also. I got a .90 size plane delivered for $30 and thought that was a very good deal.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 PM
SoCalSal

If you want to avoid this from happening to you again do as I do...ask questions if you have any doubts. And never deal with Hobby People again.I don't.
The reason I don't shop Hobby People much if at all is there is one brick and mortar store near me. This store has without a doubt the worst inventory control I have ever seen. It seems like they have major problems just trying to keep simple balsda stock in stock. And if you don't find it in the store they will order it for you and have it in two weeks?????????? I can get almost anything from Tower Hobbies in a max of three days if it is in their wharehouse.
I have sent three e-mails to the folks at Hobby People asking them why it takes so long to order and receive stuff from them. Their answer??????????? I wish I knew what it was. They have never returned any of my e-mails with an answer.

So to hell with the LHS in my area.they don't support me so I do the same to them.
Besides that even though an Diego is the second largest city in California it has almost no good hobby shops to deal with. It is either way north in the LA area or way east in Arizona and even east of there to get most of the products needed in RC aircraft.

O.K. I'm done ragging on Hobby People I hate the place!!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And again the word 'Scam' is used in a thread title when it shouldn't be.
And SoCalSal...go to Discount Hobby Warehouse on Clairemont Mesa Blvd.
Ask for John.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:32 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Discount Hobby is anything but a discount.

I deal with HP and most every shop in San Diego. Yes I have had issues with them, yes I have had issues with Tower. I have been around long enough to know how to deal with the issues. This thread is indeed titled incorrectly.

It is not a scam. I order on line from HP because it gets to my house by Wednesday after I order it and it costs less then the gas to drive there. The Kearny Mesa store has a better stock then the El Cajon store.

Sooner or later you will have an issue with any store. if you stop shopping there you will soon run out of stores. I am sure a phone call could have solved the problem before this thread was posted. Either cancel the order or wave the shipping cost. it seems you only see the problems that people have with stores, they scream about it on the forums. They are the same people who will never say a store did a good job, or the store fixed a problem to their satisfaction. They only want to complain.

Dru.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:51 PM
ohnoucdat

Only thing I can complain about Hobby People is they keep having sales to good to pass up. I order, items arrive safe, and if I have any trouble they are right there to make things right. I have to eat sandwiches for lunch for a week instead of going out to eat but still not much to complain about, Darn sales, dang good customer service, I can't stand it
Old 01-28-2009, 07:36 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I find it amazing that someone can complain about having a giant, fragile package delivered to their door, probably from hundreds or even thousands of miles away, for $20. If you don't want to pay shipping, why don't you just drive and pick it up?

These 'scam' rates you see are incredibly discounted shipping rates. How much do you think it would cost YOU to ship a .40 size plane with UPS? Have you tried ordering a plane from a smaller shop, like Wild Hare, Aero-Works, etc.? They can be up to $60-$80, even more for a bigger plane shipped.

I think we should be very thankful that we can get these products, have them delivered to our doors, not pay tax, and have warranty and damage coverage for only $20. That's like an hour or two of work to have a plane shipped across the country.

I'm a super saver member too, but I buy things elsewhere also. I got a .90 size plane delivered for $30 and thought that was a very good deal.
In support of this post, as an example, I recently checked with UPS for the shipping of one of my built park jets (not big by any means) to Chicago from North Canton Ohio (about 400 miles). $127!!!!!!!!!! and the box weighted a whopping 8.5 lbs!!!!!!!!!!! And you complain about 20 bucks!!!! I told UPS what I thought of their 'service', and shipped the same box via Greyhound for $27.50.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.