Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Nitro Planes Sukhoi-SU26 100cc

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Nitro Planes Sukhoi-SU26 100cc

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 08:01 PM
rdy2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Planes Sukhoi-SU26 100cc

Hi guys, I have been looking at nitro planes Sukhoi-SU26 100cc. Anyone have one of these yet?
I purchased one of the 50cc Yaks they sell, not real impressed with that one. The wing tube sleeves were paper. I haven't flown this plane yet, soon I hope.
I understand that nitro planes sells several different manufacture's models. I,m just wondered if this sukhoi is the same or better quality as the yak.
Any info please help!
Old 01-25-2009, 09:17 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Nitro Planes Sukhoi-SU26 100cc

ORIGINAL: rdy2fly

The wing tube sleeves were paper.
What do you think the purpose is of the wing tube sleeve?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:31 PM
rdy2fly

The wing tube sleeve is simply a guide for the wing tube, but if they are made of paper they simply tare when the wing tube is inserted. All the other guy's use fiberglass.
Why? What do you think they are used for?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:59 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

That's it, I've seen some very light sleeves, but never a problem. I thought you might of thought it was there for strengthening the wing tube.

I've only had one 100cc plane, a QQ Yak, the 50cc planes I have all seem to be getting lighter and more flimsy. To get the lightest weight they are all building them to fly, not to survive even a rough landing.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:38 PM
SportFlyer3

I was wondering about this plane myself...so no one has any input ???
Old 03-10-2009, 09:23 PM
keithackerman

My wife bought me one for Valentine's day. When it came in, my wife called me at work and told me that the UPS man delivered what looked like a coffin. The covering is quite good and the construction appears to be quite good as well. As normal, I go over the glue joints with med. CA and look everything over to assure that the joints are tight. The wing tubes are fiberglass as is the cowl. I put a 100 3W in the front and it fits perfectly in the cowling with room to spare. The balance looks to be working out right on the money. I will know more when I get the batteries placed and the fuel tank secured. The hardware package seems adequate, it looks like a DuBro set up. For the price, I think I got a really good value. I hope to have a flying report before long, depending on work schedules, etc... Everyone that has seen the plane is quite impressed with it. I hope it flies as good as it looks. The canopy is painted with a cheap paint that peels off if you put any tape on it for alignment and cutting. There is enough room to put an 8" tall pilot in the cockpit. The plane looks close to scale dimensions and the lines are nice and straight. The wheels look a little small for the size of plane. Other than these things, the plane looks pretty good. Yes, I went ahead and replaced the fuel tank as a matter of principle. Most Chinese plastic tanks are known for failing, easier to replace now than deal with the mess later. I am thinking of going ahead and putting a smoke pump in to make it look better in flight.

This is the first plane my wife has bought for me and I sure don't want to disappoint her by not putting the best in it. She understands that I probably will need a new radio, all new servos, new batteries, maybe even a new flight box. She is a good sport with my obsession with flying. Hope this is helpful to anyone looking to get one.

Keith
Old 04-18-2009, 11:12 AM
kenneyt
My Feedback: (2)

Has anyone gotten the nitro planes 100cc Sukhoi flying yet? I am looking at them and am very interested in any further comments or flight videos you may have taken. Anything is appreciated.

Tim
Old 04-19-2009, 08:07 AM
keithackerman

I had to send one of the wings back as the wing tube had a problem. They have shipped me out a new wing and I should get it this week. The plane is pretty much ready to go at this point. I just need to mount the canopy and finish balancing everything out. I hope to have it ready to go soon. When we get it in the air I'll try to post the flight characteristics and all.

Keith
Old 05-20-2009, 10:28 AM
SportFlyer3

Any flight reports or video ??? I have one new in box and am wondering how good or bad it's going to be. I will have to check the wing tube fitment myself now that I've read your statement about having to send it back. Also how was the customer service on sending it back and getting the new one in, any hassles ??? How long did the whole ordeal take ??? Sorry for all the questions...Thanks in advance for the reply...

Zed
Old 05-23-2009, 07:02 AM
keithackerman

Hi,
I haven't finished it up yet. I have been putting in a pool for the kids and haven't had much time to work on planes. I had to make several calls to nitro planes but in the end they came through. They paid for the return shipping and sent me a new wing. It arrived in super condition. The plane goes together well and looks great so far. I am hoping to have it in the air before much longer. I will try to get some video and photos for posting.

Keith
Old 05-23-2009, 09:06 PM
basman

ORIGINAL: keithackerman

My wife bought me one for Valentine's day. When it came in, my wife called me at work and told me that the UPS man delivered what looked like a coffin. The covering is quite good and the construction appears to be quite good as well. As normal, I go over the glue joints with med. CA and look everything over to assure that the joints are tight. The wing tubes are fiberglass as is the cowl. I put a 100 3W in the front and it fits perfectly in the cowling with room to spare. The balance looks to be working out right on the money. I will know more when I get the batteries placed and the fuel tank secured. The hardware package seems adequate, it looks like a DuBro set up. For the price, I think I got a really good value. I hope to have a flying report before long, depending on work schedules, etc... Everyone that has seen the plane is quite impressed with it. I hope it flies as good as it looks. The canopy is painted with a cheap paint that peels off if you put any tape on it for alignment and cutting. There is enough room to put an 8" tall pilot in the cockpit. The plane looks close to scale dimensions and the lines are nice and straight. The wheels look a little small for the size of plane. Other than these things, the plane looks pretty good. Yes, I went ahead and replaced the fuel tank as a matter of principle. Most Chinese plastic tanks are known for failing, easier to replace now than deal with the mess later. I am thinking of going ahead and putting a smoke pump in to make it look better in flight.

This is the first plane my wife has bought for me and I sure don't want to disappoint her by not putting the best in it. She understands that I probably will need a new radio, all new servos, new batteries, maybe even a new flight box. She is a good sport with my obsession with flying. Hope this is helpful to anyone looking to get one.

Keith

Good to see your wife supports you ................. flight box as well ????????????? man thats pushing the boundries,she'sa keeper. How about some pics. Ihave a great planes 77" su31 in abox waiting servo's and DL50. Could Iget your wife talking to mine .............
Old 05-24-2009, 11:34 AM
SportFlyer3

Thanks for the info...I just ordered a Power Expander for mine and if the servos like my receiver (Futaba 617 FASST) after going through it then I'll get the servos coming and start on the build hopefully shortly afterwards. I am nursing a very hurt back right now so it could be awhile though...
Old 06-04-2009, 05:16 PM
SportFlyer3

Hey keithackerman !!! any new reports yet did you get her airborne??? Any pics or vids??? I'll be down for awhile yet and I hope to have mine going by the end of the month but I need to find some servos...What did you decide on servos to move that beast around??? Any info appreciated as I go under the knife tomorrow for back surgery and will need some reading to keep my mind off the pain...
Old 06-28-2009, 09:06 PM
keithackerman

I finally got it done. Just need to finish adjusting the servos and she is ready to go. I am very disappointed at how heavy it seems to be. I build very light and added nothing to this airframe other than the servos, batteries, and motor and it has come out like an overweight pig. I guess we'll find out how it handles the weight. I haven't weighed it accurately yet as my scale batteries are conveniently dead. I will check the weight hopefully tomorrow and let you know where it comes in at. According to the published cg, I will have to put the batteries in the motor box area plus some extra weight up front to get it to balance out.

More to follow.

Keith
Old 06-28-2009, 10:30 PM
SportFlyer3

I found some videos of it flying on youtube and I will warn you to watch the landings as the gear don't seem to hold up well. If you haven't already you really need to beef up the landing gear on this plane somehow...

If you are interested in the video here are the links...[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJJi7IRAdXc]Nitro Sukhoi flying around at about 2:20[/link] and [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFcsMrtwUyg&feature=channel]Gear Failure...[/link]

I plane to hopefully maiden mine this July 4th weekend...
Old 06-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

The way the plane in the video set down on the gear it sure looked heavy.

The landing where the gear bent looked pretty rough. I wouldn't blame it all on the gear.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:04 PM
SportFlyer3

Not blaming it all on the gear it was a pancake (ie. stall) landing but if you look closely the gear has had wires installed to keep it from bending outward. I fly with a guy that has the Nitro 50cc Yak and he has had the same problem with the gear flattening out on him so he did the same thing, put wires between the gear to keep them together...I noticed on mine that I'm building that the gear seems soft also...JMHO
Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 AM
keithackerman

I scaled my plane and it came out just over 29 lbs. I am using all Futaba high torque/high speed servos and have a 3w 100 toc on the nose with cans. I am planning on modifying the gear somewhat before flight. I am going slow with the build as I am a little nervous about maidening this monster. I haven't flown anything this large yet. I am currently flying 1/4 scale stuff.

Keith
Old 07-01-2009, 08:45 PM
SportFlyer3

Yeah I'm going slower than I want to too...I just need to mount the cowl, power expander, re-do all the linkages with 4-40 turnbuckles and ends, drill the prop, install the mufflers, fuel tank, wheels and pants on the gear, locktite everything, balance, set throws and hopefully maiden it this weekend but I don't see it happening now that I thing about it...
Old 07-14-2009, 10:05 PM
SportFlyer3

Here's mine...almost done!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:58 PM
keithackerman

I really like the graphics. I'll have to get some for mine soon. Let me know how it flies out for you. I am hoping to get mine in the air the middle of next month or so. I have been ill and that has slowed downt the process a little.
Keith
Old 07-26-2009, 08:25 PM
SportFlyer3

Tell me about it...I had back surgery a little over a month ago so that is what i tried to do in my spare time while I was recovering to keep me from getting bored. I should have had it maidened a month ago but things keep popping up, either at home, work...now that I'm back, or now the engine. I found a crack in the hub of my DL-100 that I've only run once so I sent it off to get replaced...
Old 09-23-2009, 06:59 AM
keithackerman

Well I finally took the beast out to the field and flew it last evening. Boy what a surprise. It flies like a big kitten. No nasty habits at all. It stalls straight ahead without tucking a wing. I am amazed at how slow this plane flies and just keeps flying. It flies like it's on rails. Best tracking plane in my hanger. The 3W 100 pulls it like it's not there. I am flying a 28X10 Biela and boy does it pull an upline. The whole thing came in right around 29 lbs. The plane flew like it was locked on to my fingers. I still can't believe I actually am flying a 100 cc plane. It flies easier than my 80" Chimpumk. Everyone told me I would have no problem flying it but I was nervous about putting something this big in the air, but man it flies great and is so easy to manage. I would reccomend it to anyone out there. I did take it to a friend of mine to help me get the smartfly, servos, batteries, and all dialed in before the first flight. I think that made a huge difference for the first flight.

There are a couple of negatives that need addressed before the next flight. The front wing bolts are impossible to install with the fuel tank at or near the c.g. I think I am going to make pins for the front and use bolts on the rear part of the wing. The other negative is the landing gear. Come in gentle or you will be bending some new gear. It is not hard to land this thing just don't dump it down on the gear or you will biff the prop. I am going to try and stiffen the gear up a little somehow so that it doesn't splay out so badly.

I guess I will go ahead and finish putting the decals on and get all the wiring located and organized now that I know she flies so well. It is definitely a keeper. I would rate it an 8 out of 10.

Can't wait to get it out again and fly some more.

Keith
Old 11-26-2009, 02:18 PM
SportFlyer3

Man how did I miss this one...so you maidened it huh??? I wish mine came out a 29lbs I'd be alot happier but I'm closer to 33lbs...

Let me know if you want some pics on how I stiffened up mine...

Zed