Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Bye Bye Miss America

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Bye Bye Miss America

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:55 PM
hrrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bye Bye Miss America

Hello Gentlemen,

I just wanted to share something with you that I saw earlier this week. I was on the Hangar 9 web site and I noticed that the 60 size Miss America ARF's are no longer listed...[X(] When I did a search on the web site, all that came up were replacement parts. Maybe I did something wrong on the web site.

I have always wanted one ever since the first time I saw it. So my brother and I decided to go to a LHS and get the one they had in stock. To make it even better, my brother paid for it and gave it to me for a late Christmas present...WOO HOO...

Since I didn't have to pay for the ARF and I already had the receiver and servos I need for it, I decided to trick out my Miss America to the max. So I went to the Lado Technologies website and ordered a set of their electric retracts (which is my third set). If any of you have never seen them, you need to go to their web site and check them out. The retracts are reasonably priced, the quality is outstanding and they are super easy to install. I also went to keleo-creations.com and ordered a exhaust system they produce that puts the exhaust out in the stock "Merlin" location See Attached Picture.

I'm so excited about my plane, I can hardly stand it. I will post some pictures of my plane when I finish it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18233.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1120985  
Old 01-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Ram Jet

Default RE: Bye Bye Miss America

Wow, is that the exhaust system? I guess the heck maybe you're going to "trick it out". Nice. Please post some stuff.

Bill
Old 01-27-2009, 01:35 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have one is a real nice flying plane and glides engine off very well too. I fly mine now with the OS 120ax
Old 01-27-2009, 03:24 PM
basman

Delite with some pics this is going to be one tricked out bird !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 04:23 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I reviewed the Miss America for RCU a few years ago and used that muffler too.

Unless they redesigned the landing gear, they're the weak link, so it's good that you plan to replace them.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=444
Old 01-27-2009, 05:23 PM
hrrcflyer

Hey Minnflyer,

Great build and review. Thanks for the link... I know Hangar 9 has redesigned their retracts since you did your review, but I'm still not going to use them. I haven't had a chance to read through the whole review yet, but how difficult was it to get the exhaust exit holes correct in the sides of the cowl?

I can't wait to hear my YS91 running through the Keleo exhaust system. I bet it sounds sweet....
Old 01-27-2009, 05:36 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

It sounds cool, mine had a Saito 100 with the Keleo muffler. Stock up on rags and windex when you break in the motor though, my plane was covered with slim all the way down both sides
Old 01-27-2009, 06:05 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

It sounds cool, mine had a Saito 100 with the Keleo muffler. Stock up on rags and windex when you break in the motor though, my plane was covered with slim all the way down both sides
Ditto! I had one of the first mufflers of this type - in fact, Mine was one of the prototypes. Since then they now supply a nipple that you are supposed to put at the bottom to vent oil out the bottom of the cowl - DO IT!

The cowl wan't difficult to cut at all
Old 02-02-2009, 12:58 PM
hrrcflyer

Hello Gents,

I've been working on my Miss America over the last couple of weekends while I was waiting for the exhaust system. I did everything I could yesterday without the motor mounted. It's all routine so I didn't bother taking any pictures.

While I was working this morning, our secretary brought me a little square box from the USPS. When I opened the box, look at what I found inside (see pics) Woooooo Hoooooo!!!!. All I need is my retracts to arrive from Lado Technologies, my engine, Dave Brown spinner and props to come from Central Hobbies and I will be able to finish this beast. Everything but the retracts should be here this week. While I was working on the plane yesterday, I decided to make an engine change. I decided to go with my original plan and save my YS91 for my Great Planes Aeromaster, so I ordered a YS110 for my Miss America.

I don't think I've ever been as excited about an Arf as I am about this plane, but I am still going to take my time and build it right. I'll post some more pics next week of the plane with the motor and exhaust installed (hopefully).

Name:	Om34475.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1125771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29306.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1125772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61693.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1125773  
Old 02-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

When I first saw this thread I thought it would be about the full scale plane. http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p51re...1-4474536.html I believe it lost the engine on takeoff and cart wheeled on the forced landing. I figured they had to just scrap her. I was surprised to see on this thread its H9 that has done the scrapping! I have one with an electric motor and robart retracts and it flys great. Enjoy your project hrrcflyer the YS110 is a great choice.

Name:	Om32635.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1125828  
Old 02-05-2009, 02:44 PM
hrrcflyer

Well Gentlemen,

I have some good news and I have some bad news.

The good news is, my order from Central Hobbies was delivered yesterday with my engine, spinner and props....WOOO HOOOOO The bad news is when I checked on my retracts, I was told it would be at least a month before I get them even though the web site said they were "In Stock". What a bummer...[:'(]

So this weekend I will work on plane (hopefully) and I will post some pics next week of my progress.

Later
Old 02-09-2009, 01:07 PM
hrrcflyer

Hello Gentlemen,

I got a call from my friend who is letting me use his shop to build my Miss America after he read my last post. He said he was looking at the wing and it had the retracts installed...[X(][X(][:-] It only took me a few minutes to realize that he put his set of Lado retracts from his "late" 60 size P47 into my plane. When I got to my friends house Friday, he hit the switch on his transmitter and they worked....!! Wooooo Hoooooo. For most of the weekend JT and I worked on the plane and I thought I'd share some pics.

1) Is how I left the Fuse the last time I worked on it.
2&3) Show the completed wing.
4) Shows the elevator and stab installed
5,6&7) While the tail was drying, we decided to run a few tanks of fuel through "The Beast) I've never seen a motor this size with this much power. Per the instruction sheet, I turned the high speed needle valve out 1-1/2 turns, priimed the system and fired it up. For the first two tanks, the motor would not even run near idle without glow driver installed. On the third tank I leaned it out about an 1/8 of a turn. On the fourth tank, I put a tach behind the prop and I was pleseantly suprised that the motor was turning the 14x8 prop at almost 10,000RPM!!!!![X(] I'm going to switch to a 14x11 APC for further break in runs so I don't over rev the motor. I can't wait to see what the motor will do with my APC 15x10.
8&9) These pics are how I left the plane yesterday afternoon with everything done behind the firewall except installing the tank and final battery location.

Enjoy!!

For some reason, my pictures didn't load. I'll try loading them again later this evening.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:46 PM
hrrcflyer

Hello Gentlemen,

Lets see if I can get the pics loaded this time. I am going to have to split my pictures up into separate posts. Pictures 1, 2, 3 &4 are in this post.

Name:	Us55112.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1131520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77458.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1131521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36670.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1131522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67901.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1131523  
Old 02-09-2009, 05:48 PM
hrrcflyer

Pictures 5, 6 & 7 are in this post.

Name:	Ec89727.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1131524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98562.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1131525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18332.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	1131526  
Old 02-09-2009, 05:52 PM
hrrcflyer

Pictures 8 & 9 are in this post.

The weather man is calling for a chance of rain in his long range forcast for this Saturday...[:'(], so I may have time to get more done on my plane...

Name:	Jh14530.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1131527   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43277.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1131528  
Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 AM
hrrcflyer

Hello Gents,

I was able to carve out some time and work on my Miss America with my friend over the weekend. We spent most of the time "customizing" the motor mount so could install the exhaust without it hitting the mount. The little time we had left was spent cutting out some templates in the cowl for the motor and exhaust.

Sorry I don't have any pics. I left my camera at the office on Friday...[:@]
Old 02-23-2009, 07:49 AM
hrrcflyer

Hello Gents,

Since the weather was so bad here yesterday, my friend and I were able to work on my Miss America almost all day. We got the cowl completely cut out and fit on the plane. BTW it wasn't as easy as Minnflyer made it sound...[X(] The ony reason I can think of is that since he put a Saito in his, which is wider at the top than my YS, he was able to spread his cowl further apart than I was to get it around the rear exhaust pipes. The work we did on the cowl took us over 4 hours and I think it turned out just fine considering how much of a PITA it was. I have included a few pictures of the front end.

I also changed my mind on which motor I'm using (for the last time)... I decided to install my trusty YS91 which is still going to be PLENTY of motor for the plane... The completion list is really getting short now. The only thing I have left to do is install the throttle cable, remote glow driver, balance the plane, attach the battery inside the fuse and install the set of Robostruts which I didn't intend to install originally, but I got them for sixty bucks a pair which is a price I just couldn't refuse.

Hopefully I will be able to finish up my Miss America next weekend. The maiden flight however, will not happen until spring time when the weather warms up around here.

Name:	Xv63531.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1142878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13900.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1142879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31977.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1142880  
Old 02-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

That's a beautiful airplane.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:48 PM
hrrcflyer

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it.... I was beginning to wonder if anyone was still following along. If I remember correctly, Hangar 9 introduced the Miss America about 6 months after I got into this hobby, and I've wanted one ever since the first time I saw it. Its too bad Hangar 9 decided to discontinue it.[&o]

With any luck, I'be be able to finish it up this weekend. I'll post some more pics on Monday.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 PM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

Well Gentlemen,

I have some good news and I have some bad news.

The good news is, my order from Central Hobbies was delivered yesterday with my engine, spinner and props....WOOO HOOOOO The bad news is when I checked on my retracts, I was told it would be at least a month before I get them even though the web site said they were "In Stock". What a bummer...[:'(]

So this weekend I will work on plane (hopefully) and I will post some pics next week of my progress.

Later
With your Lado' retracts, you're in for a three to four month wait. Been there, done that, four times![]

If Hangar 9 did discontinue the Mustang, and if you really love the plane, you may want to get some extra parts while you still can. Canopy, cowl, etc....

Old 02-24-2009, 05:41 PM
hrrcflyer

Phatbob02,

I certainly hope I don't have to wait that long for my retracts, but they are not holding me up anyway. I have a "temporary" set in my plane now. Hangar 9 has definately discontinued the Miss America, but you brought up a good thought. I've played around with the idea of ordering a replacement cowl and canopy for my plane (just in case I do something dumb...[:@]) and I may just do it.

Thanks for the tip...
Old 02-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Tom Nied

hmm, you might do that. Personally, when things break, I fix them, I feel it adds character to the plane. It's beautiful now, it's brand new. As you fly it, it is going to get a little rash. I kind of feel as though it's like patina. It takes real character and time to accumulate patina. Patina makes it worth more. So even planes to me that look worn and have fixes, to me, it's just patina.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:56 PM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tom Nied

hmm, you might do that. Personally, when things break, I fix them, I feel it adds character to the plane. It's beautiful now, it's brand new. As you fly it, it is going to get a little rash. I kind of feel as though it's like patina. It takes real character and time to accumulate patina. Patina makes it worth more. So even planes to me that look worn and have fixes, to me, it's just patina.

Drat![:@] I could've sold you my Cub! It was full of your patina! Patina burns hot!
Old 02-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Tom Nied

Ha, that is funny. Yeah, I'm just a nut about old planes that are good.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:04 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you'd like photo's of the real 1:1 Miss, she's sitting in a hangar not 5 miles away from me. Doc Hysee ususally lets folks take photos if he's there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.