Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:35 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Extra 300 GP/EP

OH WELL! I gave in to tempation and ordered mine today. I needed a few other things to finish up another plane, so I ordered this plane too, haha. What a vicious cycle, but it's all good. Just couldn't pass this up; with my $35 off and free shipping due to the Super Saver Club, my cost is just $165. Sweet! And I had credit in PayPal to cover that due to selling an engine here a couple weeks ago, so life is good! Jon
Old 02-13-2009, 10:11 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shouldn't be surprised that there hasn't been much commented about this plane, along with this thread's limited activity. Part of this is because Tower Hobbies has listed it in the small electrics section, rather than the .20 to .51 sized ARFs, where I believe it would generate a wider audience. With the slowing economy and the way the Extra 300SP .46 has been presented (E-power is prohibitively expensive to many people), I see a possible collector's item in a couple years. It reminds me of the Cox Giles 202, which I purchased a couple when they had the fire sale going on last December.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-13-2009, 10:21 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine this evening along with a brand new YS-63. The plane is gorgeous, not one wrinkle or sag in the covering and the color scheme is great. It is built more like a giant scale aerobatic plane shrunk to a smaller size. I gotta hurry up and finish my Yak this weekend and get going on this Extra.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:30 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ChuckW: How does the YS-63 compare with a .46 ball bearing two-stroke (the OS 46 AX, for example) for power?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

I shouldn't be surprised that there hasn't been much commented about this plane, along with this thread's limited activity. Part of this is because Tower Hobbies has listed it in the small electrics section, rather than the .20 to .51 sized ARFs, where I believe it would generate a wider audience. With the slowing economy and the way the Extra 300SP .46 has been presented (E-power is prohibitively expensive to many people), I see a possible collector's item in a couple years. It reminds me of the Cox Giles 202, which I purchased a couple when they had the fire sale going on last December.

NorfolkSouthern
I'm kind of looking for a home for my Enya .46 4C. Would the GP 300S be a good match for this engine or would the plane be underpowered.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-13-2009, 11:11 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Ram Jet: When I spoke with Great Planes, they told me that it would do well with a 46 AX. If your Enya has similar power, it should work.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Ram Jet

Ram Jet: When I spoke with Great Planes, they told me that it would do well with a 46 AX. If your Enya has similar power, it should work.

NorfolkSouthern
Well I've read good things about the Enya .46 and that it is considered to be a-bit on the heavy side. I bought it used and have torn it apart and cleaned it up. I'm going to install a Bowman ring and fire it up when the weather breaks here in the Great White North. The Great Planes staff are very good at responding to questions. Maybe I'll fire off an E-mail. I'm absolutly in love with the Extra 300S.

Thank you,
Bill
Southern Pacific Daylight
Old 02-13-2009, 11:57 PM
ChuckW

ChuckW: How does the YS-63 compare with a .46 ball bearing two-stroke (the OS 46 AX, for example) for power?

NorfolkSouthern
Not sure. I'm told the YS's run great though and I see them on .40 size 3D planes. If it doesn't work out, I'll yank it and stick in the OS .81FS or a Saito .82
Old 02-14-2009, 02:25 PM
gr8taz nitro
My Feedback: (7)

Making progress. I've got everything hinged and finishing up the servo installation. So far this has been one of the better planes that I've assembled. My only complaint to date is that when I installed the horizontal stab the it didn't fit into the fuse very well. It looked like one side was cut slightly larger than the other and the stab could be rocked up and down quite a bit, something around a good 1/2 inch of up and down at the tip. It wasn't a big deal to fix, I used some toothpicks to shim and hold it in place to get everything level and correct and then filled in the gap with epoxy.

I did a little research and I can get a carbon wing tube for it and shed some weight there. I don't have a good enough scale to weigh individual parts but the metal stock tube is pretty heavy. The replacement that I found at graphtech only weighs a little over 1oz, but it's also $30 plus shipping so I'm gonna do a final weight when it's finished and change it out later if needed. Since it's basically on the CG all I should have to do is change it out. I didn't save much in the servos since I opted to go with hitec 225mg's, but I think the stronger geartrain will be worth the slight weight penalty.[:@] 225bb's are .095 oz(27g) and the 225mg's are 1.09 oz(31g). I know it's probably overkill but I have been known to do crazy things like full throttle walls.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:21 PM
gr8taz nitro

Here's a few more pics of the almost finished plane. Just waiting on some standoff's and an esc and I'll be in business.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10405.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1135631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75511.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1135632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29940.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1135633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12134.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1135634  
Old 02-14-2009, 08:26 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I'm looking forward to your first flight, gr8taz nitro. I'd like to know about how this plane handles at slower speeds and landing. It's looking very nice so far.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-14-2009, 08:50 PM
maukaonyx

gr8taz, you gotta be one of the fastest builders!!! Congrats on the quick progress, and please post pics and video of your maiden flight! Looks gr8 so far!!! Jon
Old 02-15-2009, 01:08 AM
propboy4138

looks like it will be hot on landing.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:24 PM
gr8taz nitro

Shouldn't be to bad. As long as I can keep the weight down anyway. If the wing loading comes in where GP says it will we're only talking about 21-25 oz/in which isn't bad considering most larger aerobatic planes have around the same and most warbirds are around the 30 oz/in range. I know lighter is better but the range that GP states is really do-able.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:11 AM
fanoffive0

Does anybody know the size of a pilot to install in it?

Thanks...
Old 02-17-2009, 12:42 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: gr8taz nitro

Here's a few more pics of the almost finished plane. Just waiting on some standoff's and an esc and I'll be in business.
Looks good. I had mine out of the box today. What a gorgeous plane. Got my Yak finished this afternoon so I'll start on the Extra tomorrow night if all goes well.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:08 PM
NorfolkSouthern

UPS showed up earlier today, and dropped off my package. I opened up the box, and was pleasantly surprised at how the canape was finished and the engine mounts are already aligned, drilled, and the blind nuts installed. The fin is already there, so there is no worry about getting the rudder and elevator strait. I think this is going to be a nice build, as there seems to be something here for everybody. Lekkie, 2-stroke, or four-smoker... It's got it. And so far, the price is unbeatable for a new model.

Let's get a few of these in service, and see how all this is going to work!

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Ram Jet

UPS showed up earlier today, and dropped off my package. I opened up the box, and was pleasantly surprised at how the canape was finished and the engine mounts are already aligned, drilled, and the blind nuts installed. The fin is already there, so there is no worry about getting the rudder and elevator strait. I think this is going to be a nice build, as there seems to be something here for everybody. Lekkie, 2-stroke, or four-smoker... It's got it. And so far, the price is unbeatable for a new model.

Let's get a few of these in service, and see how all this is going to work!

NorfolkSouthern
If you are in the mood - pictures when she's set up please.

Bill
S.P. Daylight
Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 PM
NorfolkSouthern

That'll be easier when I get it outside and set up. I'm thinking that when the sun comes back out, I can get a shot or two of the firewall. Also, it looks like I can install the engine with the standard muffler. I may need to cut out some of the front cowling for it, but I it'll probably be less than what a Pitts would require.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 02-17-2009, 07:24 PM
maukaonyx

I THINK the 1/5 GP sport pilot bust is the one to use in the plane. While 1/5 sounds large, it is the smallest GP sport pilot at TH that looks just like the one in the ads for the plane. I ordered one with the plane, and when they get here in a few days, I can confirm whether it's a fit or not. Jon
Old 02-17-2009, 09:19 PM
fanoffive0

Thanks. I also sent a E-Mail to Tower to ask them and they did not know? They told me to E-mail GreatPlanes. I have done that. When I hear back from them I will post what they say.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:17 PM
fanoffive0

Here is what I got back from TowerHobbies on the pilot size for the Extra. maukaonyx you are correct.

Greetings , The pilot figure is the Great Planes 1/5 Sport Pilot Yellow (GPMQ9017). It had to be modified in order to get it to fit properly.

Best regards,
-Mark F.
Product Support
PS9020
Old 02-19-2009, 08:53 PM
servo7

I have the 46 size cap 580 from GP and I'm looking to change my gear over to this one...I am flying the cap with a saito 100....would there be enough space to put it in the extra?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:06 PM
PmikeyG

I am in the process of building mine, and I am going to install a Saito 82 I have sitting around. This thing is gonna be awesome. I am just starting in the 3D world and I think the Extra is gonna be a good plane to learn on. What servos is everyone gonna use? They recommend Futaba 3004 for aileron and elevator, and Futaba 3010 for the rudder. I am gonna use a Hitec hs81 for the throttle.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:34 PM
gr8taz nitro

ORIGINAL: servo7

I have the 46 size cap 580 from GP and I'm looking to change my gear over to this one...I am flying the cap with a saito 100....would there be enough space to put it in the extra?
There should be just enough room to get a 100 installed. I have a saito 100 that I was gonna install but I decided to go electric instead. The instructions show you need 130 mm from the firewall the the thrust washer to get the spacing for the cowl right. The saito from the backside of the carb to the thrust washer is about 115mm or so. Other than knocking
out the blind nuts and re-drilling the firewall I don't think you would have any problems getting one in.

ORIGINAL: PmikeyG

I am in the process of building mine, and I am going to install a Saito 82 I have sitting around. This thing is gonna be awesome. I am just starting in the 3D world and I think the Extra is gonna be a good plane to learn on. What servos is everyone gonna use? They recommend Futaba 3004 for aileron and elevator, and Futaba 3010 for the rudder. I am gonna use a Hitec hs81 for the throttle.
I'm using hitec hs225mg's to try and shave a little bit of weight. I don't think the recommended standards would be a bad way to go. I generally prefer JR and if I was using standards I'd probably use a set of DS821's, it's too bad JR doesn't have a good mini servo that's MG for less than $70 a servo.[&o]

Got the motor mount for my electric motor today, but I don't think I'm gonna get a chance to get it mounted till this weekend, although I'm still waiting for my new ESC to get here, hopefully tomorrow. Oh well the weather for the next week is looking pretty crappy around here anyway, it's just killin me that I don't have this plane done yet. Too many projects going all at once and I didn't have all the hardware ready either. I should have did like ChuckW and finished some of my other projects first! In addition to finishing up this extra, I'm building a HET Super Sniper, 2 combat foamy's, changing the powerplant in my HL F-16, and rebuilding my Blade 400 from an inverted dumbthumb. 24 hrs in a day just doesn't seem like enough time, and flying season isn't here yet!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.