Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Looking For Something Like An Ultra Stick 120 Lite

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Looking For Something Like An Ultra Stick 120 Lite

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:05 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking For Something Like An Ultra Stick 120 Lite

Horizon says late June on new stock of Ultra Stick Lite 120s. And truthfully I don't care for the covering job onthe UL 120s. Never been a fan of the clear covering. Is there something equivalent in ARF form that I haven't been able to locate on the web?

I'm looking for something that I can put a small gas motor on like a CRRC 26 or an MLD-28. I'm not looking for all out 3D but just a fun to fly plane that can "get busy" if I want it to. I keep hoping that Morris Hobbies will offer some more Jerry's Big Boys and I keep checking in on East R/C for their Jerry's Spoiler plane. Both about 80" and would probably work well with a gas engine and do outrageous 3D with a big glow like an OS 160. Bridi Old Timer would be nice but that is only a kit. I have considered the Great Planes Giant stick but can't stand the scalloped control surfaces. It may be that in tail dragger configuration though if I can't find anything else.

Any ideas?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:34 PM
SpinnerRow

Default RE: Looking For Something Like An Ultra Stick 120 Lite

Boy this thread flamed out!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Mr. Mugen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me get this straight....they are making them again? I have one and love it. It has a 26GT2 on it and performs just about any maneuver (at least the one's I can do) with ease. I love how it floats around if you want it to or can tackle most anything. It worked out to be the most flown plane in my heap last year. Must of used about 5 gallons in it alone. Keep in mind I fly about 15 different planes on a regular basis....non of which used that much fuel alone.

So whats the scoop...are they rereleasing them?

Kevin
Old 03-19-2009, 02:56 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen
So whats the scoop...are they rereleasing them?
According to Horizon's web site, they are.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:05 PM
gr8taz nitro
My Feedback: (7)

Hanger 9 announced that they were going to do limited production runs on three planes because of demand. The ultra stick 1.20, and 1.50 size mustang and P-47
Old 03-19-2009, 06:56 PM
chashint

World Models Super Stunts 60
Specifications
Wing Span : 80.0 in / 2030 mm
Wing Area : 1337 sq in / 86.3 sq dm
Flying Weight : 8.0 lbs / 3550 g
Fuselage Length : 68.5 in / 1740 mm
Engine Required : 2C 0.61 cu in
: 4C 0.70 cu in
Radio Required : 4 channels, 5 servos
http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...p?ProductID=45

Ultra Stick Lite 120 ARF
Specs
Wingspan:76 in
Overall Length:65.25 in
Wing Area:1210 sq in (standard) or 1230 sq in (quad flaps)
Flying Weight:9 - 11 lb (4 - 5 kg)
Engine Size:1.00-1.50 (2-stroke), 1.00-1.80 (4-stroke), 23-26cc (Gas)
Radio:4-6 channels
Servos:5-7
Trim Scheme Colors:HANU866 True Red, HANU873 Deep Blue, HANU887 Transparent
Old 03-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Mr. Mugen

I wonder how that rudder performs? Hard to see how much of it moves from pic. Does anyone have this plane? How does it fly? I have a pal who is looking for one like the USL120 but doesn't want to pay 300 bucks for one. I got mine for 150.00 from LHS on clearance...he is bummed. This looks like a good substitute.

Kevin
Old 03-21-2009, 09:14 AM
AA5BY

I know you asked for alternatives... but I gotta suggest waiting for the USL. Like Kevin, I've a good size hanger of planes but the USL is the favorite flyer. Last June it roosted in a big oak tree and sheared the wing off. Very busy with work, I didn't get around to replacing it and didn't get much flying in the last half of the year and when ready to order a new one, they were discontinued and I was heartbroken.

I stripped the covering to see if repairs were possible and have recently finished repairs though they were fairly extensive, but the plane is simply worth a lot of effort. It is now ready for covering.

I'm also not a huge fan of the clear because of visibility, and for that reason have given a lot of thought to recovering. Most of the fuselage and all of the control surfaces do not need recovering so it would be far easier to stay with the clear. My decision (so far) is to modify the covering scheme only slightly in that the underside of the wing was fully clear and I'll likely bring the red from the LE back to the spars. I think the all clear under surface of the wing is the visibility problem on grey overcast days.

As to powering the USL, I agree go gasser. Mine has a Zenoah G-20ei and I love it. It provides unlimited vertical, is very easy to start, very easy to clean up and very economical on fuel. And, it balances the plane perfectly so that no weight is added.

While looking around for a replacement, I didn't see a suitable alternative though the one listed above might be... but for me it would have to be able to fit a gasser and the quad setup would have to be as effective as that on the USL because it is a hoot.

If they do offer another release... I'll buy one and store it as a back up to the one I've repaired because the plane is that important to me.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:59 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

I'm also not a huge fan of the clear because of visibility, and for that reason have given a lot of thought to recovering. Most of the fuselage and all of the control surfaces do not need recovering so it would be far easier to stay with the clear. My decision (so far) is to modify the covering scheme only slightly in that the underside of the wing was fully clear and I'll likely bring the red from the LE back to the spars. I think the all clear under surface of the wing is the visibility problem on grey overcast days
I have a US 60, transparent yellow and still hard to see at times.

I had some yellow and whilte 3" wide trim tape handy and used it to make stripes under the wing. Big difference and no need to re-cover.

BobbyG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58011.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1162752  
Old 03-21-2009, 08:50 PM
clarkj
My Feedback: (26)

does the 120 fly better than the 60? i sold my 60 and was looking at the 120 - ive got a saito 180 to go on it
Old 03-21-2009, 08:58 PM
bear9236
My Feedback: (1)

Fun World 3D http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopdisplayprod...verstock+Sales
Old 03-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Mr. Mugen

ORIGINAL: clarkj

does the 120 fly better than the 60? i sold my 60 and was looking at the 120 - ive got a saito 180 to go on it
A friend at our club has (had) the 60. He flew my plane (120) and was saying it flew like a dream compared to his 60. He is a pretty good pilot and has flown many planes over the years. He is the guy wanting a USL120 but not for 300 bucks. I think it is a good deal for the money personally. It is one tough bird and has all the fun of a mid wing or low wing plane built right in.

Kevin
Old 03-22-2009, 12:54 PM
AA5BY

A Saito 180 is overkill. IMHO, the USL is not a 3D type airplane and doesn't need hover type power. A 120 will give it unlimited vertical so what more power is needed? And... keeping it light is a goal. Someone reported that a Zenoah G-26 magneto combination did not have unlimited vertical and it wasn't obtained until after lightening with a electronic ignition conversion. On the other hand a G20ei is proven to give unlimited vertical so the more powerful G26 magneto can't make up for the increased weight.

Sure, the Saito 180 will work... but think of the clean up and fuel cost compared to a small gasser.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Mr. Mugen

It's not a 3d plane? Good luck convincing my plane of that. She thinks prop hanging is so much fun............although she does not like to knifeedge without me begging.

Kevin
Old 03-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Mr. Mugen

If I had to do it again...and I do, I would not use the cloth hinges again. I just cut the rudder off due to one broken hinge. I am installing metal hinge pin robarts. Just in rudder for now. If I see another one break I will do the rest of the surfaces. They all look good for now though. It was the upper hinge on the rudder that broke. No biggie. Been taking them apart inspecting them one by one getting ready for spring. Glad I caught this.

Kevin
Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Mr. Mugen

Here is a pic of what I did instead. Love these hinges.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11629.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1164182  
Old 04-10-2009, 05:59 PM
SpinnerRow

East RC will have some Spoilers in stock in May. I might be inclined to get one of those instead of the UL 120. I personally can't stand the covering on the Ultra Sticks. My old eyes need something that isn't transparent!

Check out the East RC Spoiler.

I think this covering scheme would be a lot more visible!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:56 PM
aussiesteve

Hmm - nice looking plane - I wonder if they are available in australia - I also need to replace my 1.20 (Darned thumbs)

As for the US 1.20 not being terribly aerobatic? - I got my first one after I saw what they can really do. While I was blessed to be living and flying in the US a couple of years ago, one of the top F3A pilots that was at my club was using one as a test bed for all of his components before he put them in his competition planes. I asked him about "why that airframe" - he proceeded to put it through it's paces - I was "suitably impressed" when he flew the Advanced sequence with it without so much of a glitch - I've had a couple of them since then and love them (except for the tranparent covering - which I fix by adding trim pieces of my own). I fly mine with a decent 26cc Gasser now but used to use a Saito 1.80 in them.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:38 PM
WILDBIL
My Feedback: (2)

i am looking at an ultra lite 120 can anyone tell me where i can go to see what brand of weedeater motor would work good on it or of any vids on youtube on how to hookup thanks
Old 12-25-2009, 08:56 PM
AA5BY

Wildbil... I'd not choose a weed eater conversion for the USL 120. This plane was lightened by 2.5 lbs from an earlier release because the heavier version did not fly great. The lighter version is a hoot as long as it is not weighted excessively. Weedy conversions simply don't have the power to weight ratio that this plane needs. Do yourself a favor and go with a 20-30 cc gasser weighing 42 oz or lighter. The G-20 ei is excellent as well the MLD-28, DLE-30, Syssa 30, or Aero 28 all would be good choices.